Akuma & Wolverine Marvel vs. Capcom 3 spotlight

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 31, 2011 at 2:05 p.m. PST
Akuma & Wolverine Marvel vs. Capcom 3 spotlight A new showdown spotlight is up over on Marvel.com, written once again by Sumoslamman. This examines Akuma and Wolverine in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and a bit of their history and characteristics as well.

Wolverine's Play Style: Wolverine is pure rush.

Akuma's Play Style: Akuma is all about doing as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time because once he gets hit, it's lights out. Akuma can use Demon Flip mix-ups to get in and land his Hurricane Kick, which sets him up for a free launcher. Once airborne, Akuma can land one of two air fireball hypers, either in the air combo or off of an OTG fireball. Akuma has ridiculously quick normals, brutal combos and a Level 3 Shun Goku Statsu will keep opponents on their toes.

Comments

Lavama said on January 31, 2011 at 2:07 p.m.

The both of them fit me well! :D

Bibuki said on January 31, 2011 at 2:13 p.m.

hahaha man I think I'ma main Wolvie based on that description, no joke

Kenshiro said on January 31, 2011 at 2:15 p.m.

Lol Wolverine has 1 sentence.

Anim8td_fan said on January 31, 2011 at 2:22 p.m.

Love the minimalist approach to explaining Wolverine's play style lol. Might be one of my mains since I think he plays better than his other VS. counter parts. Extremely excited to play Akuma because he looks to be the best version in any fighting game (not counting Oni).

Otter_of_Death said on January 31, 2011 at 2:24 p.m.

I think it would have been more hilarious if he ended Wolverine's description with "'nuff said."

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on January 31, 2011 at 2:25 p.m.

I always knew this about Wolverine. My definition isn't much different.

Wolverine's play style: Go nuts.

However with Akuma, I really wish they would have done more with the raging demon. The animation... IDK what but I wasn't feeling it.

ChunLi said on January 31, 2011 at 2:29 p.m.

"Wolverine's Play Style: Wolverine is pure rush."

Description Win

TAG said on January 31, 2011 at 2:35 p.m.

#6 The raging demon looks how it ALWAYS looked BEFORE SF4...do you really want super combos that are 30 mins long?

cvs said on January 31, 2011 at 2:36 p.m.

Wolverine wins,PERFECT!

Moguaiz said on January 31, 2011 at 2:38 p.m.

I spy with my little eye, a typo! Statsu = Satsu

MisguidedAngel said on January 31, 2011 at 2:43 p.m.

Wolverine was actually really good in the Vs games other than MVC2, if memory servers. He was garbage in MVC2, but so was everyone else ;).

It looks like he's going to place quite highly this time around. Even without dive-kick overhead, he looks super gross. His rush-down game looks like one of the best. He just does retarded amounts of damage.

When I first read his description I looked up and down the page for the rest of it, and it didn't exist haha. I lawled.

TheWrist said on January 31, 2011 at 2:57 p.m.

"Wolverine's favorite song: Tell me when to go by E-40, nuff said"

The_True_Gouki said on January 31, 2011 at 3:02 p.m.

Muahahaha! Gouki will destroy all!

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on January 31, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.

Okay @sshole, I was asking for a better looking one, not a longer one.

L2R

kirbykirbykirby said on January 31, 2011 at 3:22 p.m.

wolverines description has four words and thats including his name haha wow

Shareware said on January 31, 2011 at 3:32 p.m.

Akuma at a board meeting:

"You can see our projections for next year by these SHUN GOKU STATSU"

... Yeah, no, I suck.

Him said on January 31, 2011 at 3:32 p.m.

epic win. I swear if I ever see Logan get hyphy, Ill pay myself 1,000.00 plus tax

Shareware said on January 31, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.

Seriously, imagine all the Hebrews going dumb, dancing on top of chariots, and turning TIGHT ones.

TheWrist said on January 31, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.

Wolverine don't bump mainstream, he bump underground.

BlackHart said on January 31, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.

Wolverine = Akuma

fugg yo feelings

TheWrist said on January 31, 2011 at 3:53 p.m.

That's why there's no Ghost Rider in this game, Wolverine ghost ride's the whip all day and it would be oversaturation.

sumoslamman said on January 31, 2011 at 3:54 p.m.

Blarg! Typo! I think I also misspelled Ansatsuken as Anatsuken in the Ryu vs. Iron Man post. Fugg my writing!

Shareware said on January 31, 2011 at 4:01 p.m.

Are you kidding me? Wolvie Vs. Akuma is what I've been WAITING for.

Ever since Wolverine's ending in XvSF I've wanted to see what it would be like.

Shareware said on January 31, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.

I think we all know what Dr. Doom bumps.

...

MF Doom of course.

Jerry said on January 31, 2011 at 4:06 p.m.

Can't wait for Dante vs. Deadpool or Taskmaster

roarmonster said on January 31, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

MvC1, wolverine is god like. Why do people say things when they don't know much? That is the problem with the new community. Its not that they are new, its that they don't admit they are new and try to pretend they know more then what they do. It is abundantly clear in a lot of the posts on this web sight. Nobody will knock you for being new, people knock you for being arrogant.

And Oni isn't even gonna be that good :/ he might be decent though.

Personally from a gameplay perspective I would side with Wolvie in this fight, same with a factual perspective.

TheWrist said on January 31, 2011 at 4:18 p.m.

Whatever Doom bumps, it is most definately chopped and screwed. I can't see Doom doing anything but bobbin that metalface to Houston Rap while sippin' purp in his throne.

MALDA said on January 31, 2011 at 4:27 p.m.

MadMetalSlayer said on January 31, 2011 at 5:05 p.m.

lol Wolverine description=WIN!!!!

Bibuki said on January 31, 2011 at 5:06 p.m.

roarmonster said on January 31, 2011 at 5:14 p.m.

@Bibuki

I said he will be decent, but if you honestly think he will be top tier off of what we have seen from him you are just another idiot online who falls into the hype because your going off of his name and the fact that you think he looks cool. Don't assume a character is gonna be great, when you hardly know anything about them.

Remember when everyone thought Dudley was gonna be incredible? Who was there sitting and saying Fei long would be great? NOBODY, why? Because scrubs saw dudley was flashier, so cried good.

MisguidedAngel said on January 31, 2011 at 5:19 p.m.

I already corrected him, and a lot more politely than you did. You didn't have to be such a jerk about it.

Mikeydactyl said on January 31, 2011 at 5:26 p.m.

How in the world do you know, off of 1 or 2 days MAX of gameplay, whether Oni will be good or not?

Hakansoilbarrel said on January 31, 2011 at 5:57 p.m.

(Doom obviously listens to...wait for it...Doom!

BTW I want Logan to win, but only because online Akumas are so annoying -_-...that's really biased reasoning, lol.)

xShonuffx said on January 31, 2011 at 6 p.m.

I think the tier listings will be balanced, based on many videos I see many character and team combinations meshing well with eachother. It's not like MvC2 where you HAD to pick Doom to play Strider or Sentinel to play Magneto or whatever (Don't flame me, just an example). Here I could probably choose a dream team and can probably make them work. I think thats what they were going for to keep the top tier characters from being the only teams you see play and maybe see a variety of teams with a mixture of members in the highs.

TheWrist said on January 31, 2011 at 6:20 p.m.

Haggar's music is Johnny Cash, your screams, and that's it.

LordTerminal said on January 31, 2011 at 6:24 p.m.

Oh boy, that's tough match. It's too close for me to call so I'm not voting on that one.

roarmonster said on January 31, 2011 at 6:45 p.m.

@Mikeydactyl

I said he could be decent -.-. I was correcting the other guy because he said oni is the most powerful version of Akuma in any game, which he clearly isn't just because SSF4 is a more balanced game then some of the games Akuma has been top dog in.

and I have been playing fighting games for a while, it is clear that Oni is not a broken character. Could he be decent? Yeah. Could he be the best version of Akuma in any game, heeeelll naw

MVC3buyer said on January 31, 2011 at 6:46 p.m.

Ryu vs Chris Redfield

Lavama said on January 31, 2011 at 6:59 p.m.

Hmmmmm, this match up has been around for EVAH.

Will it conclude in this epic finale? Only time will tell! I can't wait to see what's lined up! This is going to be one HELL of a show!

I love how SSF4 loading screen lines work with this.

Me? It's to close. Akuma's been watching Wolverine, and Wolverine knows it. He's even asked Gouki when the fight is. Gouki said not yet. This was MvSF. So, special battle intro with Gouki and Wolverine?

MadHam said on January 31, 2011 at 7:12 p.m.

@4 Man you should try and play the other crossovers not only was he good in mvc1 but he was also good in mshvssf,msh and xmcota man I would love to post up some of the older crossover videos of what wolvie really was back in the days but by looking at the comments for the older games seems like no one gives a damn.

mr_e said on January 31, 2011 at 7:33 p.m.

This is how the Akuma & Wolverine match'll go; Akuma jumps up throwing mad amounts of hadoukens, Wolverine'll take a few hits while dodging. Wolverine gets close enough to impale him. Akuma warps in the nick of time behind him. As Wolverine turns around to stab him, Akuma goes Raging Demon on him. Akuma walks away, thinking he won, but notices Wolverine getting up. Wolverine says "nice moves, bub", smiles & assumes the combat stance, all healed up lol. Ahhh its nice to imagine lol.

Bibuki said on January 31, 2011 at 7:40 p.m.

@roarmonster

I don't assume anything, because the character is not even out yet, moron. you say ppl are wack because they assume stuff when they don't know sheet, yet right after you assume Oni will be decent but not top tier. how can you not see that you don't make sense? I feel sorry for you mate

roarmonster said on January 31, 2011 at 8:51 p.m.

You are an idiot. Assuming Oni is top tier is much more arrogant then assuming he will just be decent. Why? because based off of his set of moves he will be just decent, nothing says top tier about him. I live in Cali, I actually played him, you are just another dumb @ss on the internet who likes to argue.

And the guy assumed that Wolverine would be better then he was in the first two Vs. games, its OBVIOUS that he wont be MVC1 Wolverine status, get over yourself. Fckin moron

Bibuki said on January 31, 2011 at 9:07 p.m.

Why do you say I assume he's top tier? I never said that dude you're seeing things.

"hahaha that big paragraph about not knowing much, to end up saying that Oni isn't going to be good. pretty smart stuff right there"

I sarcastically said "smart stuff" because you were doing the exact thing you just qualified as dumb, which is assuming stuff when you don't know much. You don't know much about Oni, yet you assume stuff (he'll be decent). My comment was not about my opinion on Oni, which I actually don't have, because nobody knows his full potential obviously. My comment was to highlight the fact that you didn't make sense.

It was entertaining arguing with you in your language. But I guess that someone who doesn't make sense cannot understand sense, so I'll just leave you in your sad mediocrity.

roarmonster said on January 31, 2011 at 9:48 p.m.

.....Oni's full potential isn't realized, but it is much more likely that he is gonna be decent, not incredible. I have played enough fighting games to realize when somebody will be useless, decent or potentially dangerous from knowing there entire move set and knowing what this implies in the game engine of SSF4. Honestly I wasn't looking at all the names, I thought you said a different comment that was arguing with me as-well. I knew Dudley wasn't gonna be god like in AE....although admittedly I have been wrong in my assumptions. I did assume that Juri would be a bit better then she turned out, although I still feel like someone hasnt put the time into her yet.

And don't feel sorry for me, where people online get the dilusion that people actually get heated or even care is beyond me. Its the internet, nobody gives a sh*t, and if they do that is sad.

kornbeaner said on January 31, 2011 at 10:19 p.m.

I already have an idea of my team for this game and Wolverine was always in it from day one. I loved the way he played in MvC2 and with 3 looking more balanced I think he will be better overall.

On a side note the video they showed of him during the showcase was a joke. they showed 2 good combos and the rest was of him getting owned up, WTF!

Mikeydactyl said on January 31, 2011 at 10:42 p.m.

@roarmonster

We've all played a lot of fighting games, thats the point of this website, its for fighting game fans.

And I disagree, I think that until we have more that 2 days with Oni you can't say anything about his potential, simple as that.

rogeromega said on February 1, 2011 at 2:40 p.m.

I AM AKUMA!!!! AND I AM THE ULTIMATE GLASS CANNON!!!!!!!!!