Japanese Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition tiers

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 30, 2011 at 1:35 a.m. PST
Japanese Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition tiers Here on the EventHubs.com forums, Lynaken graciously translated a tier listing by Arcadia Magazine for Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, which was created by Daigo Umehara, Mago and Tokido, some of Japan's top players.

Part of this listing was posted the other day by Air, but this has a full breakdown of all of the characters along with what each individual person thought of them.

Punch the link below to check it out.

Daigo Umehara

S: Fei Long

A+: Yun, Yang

A: C. Viper, Akuma, Ken

B: Makoto, M. Bison (Dictator), Dhalsim, Balrog (Boxer), Ryu, Cammy, Dee Jay, Zangief, Sagat, Sakura, Adon, E. Honda, Rufus, Vega (Claw)

C: Abel, Blanka, Chun-Li, Cody, Dan, Dudley, El Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Rose, Seth, T. Hawk

Mago

S: Fei Long

A+: Yun

A: Yang, Balrog (Boxer), Chun-Li, C. Viper, Akuma, Cammy, Sagat

B+: Ken, Adon, Zangief, Sakura, M. Bison (Dictator), E. Honda, Makoto

B: Rufus, Abel, Vega (Claw), Dhalsim, Guile, Dee Jay, Ryu

C: Blanka, Cody, Dan, Dudley, El Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Rose, Seth, T. Hawk

Tokido

S: Fei Long

A+: Yun

A: Yang, Akuma, C. Viper, Makoto, Ken

B: Ryu, Chun-Li, E. Honda, Zangief, Dhalsim, Balrog (Boxer), Sagat, M. Bison (Dictator), Vega (Claw), Rufus, Abel, Seth, Cammy, Sakura, Adon

C: Blanka, Cody, Dan, Dee Jay, Dudley, El Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Rose, T. Hawk

Top Ten

1. Fei Long
2. Yun
3. Yang
4. Akuma
5. C. Viper
6. Ken
7. Sagat
8. Cammy
9. Makoto
10. Zangief

From Arcadia Magazine.

Comments

LightningCannonball said on January 30, 2011 at 1:40 a.m.

WTF??

blanka and guile dropped baaaaaad!

E honda better than them? thought he would be shi+y know...

Oroku_Saki said on January 30, 2011 at 1:41 a.m.

here we go again... holy cow, Fei Long!! S Tier and bringing the fear.

SHOGUN said on January 30, 2011 at 1:43 a.m.

China on top. Well minus Chun and Gen.

THawk said on January 30, 2011 at 1:43 a.m.

Yeah they don't know what their talking about in the slightest.

For one... I'M NOT ON THE F**KING BOTTOM.

Fei Long is not 'S' tier. lmao

Rufus, Abel, Bison, Blanka, Guile, Rose, Dee Jay, Ibuki are not that low. Wtf is wrong with them. Trolls.

chainsawww said on January 30, 2011 at 1:46 a.m.

in before ****storm
I hope people realize this is reeeeally early

chainsawww said on January 30, 2011 at 1:50 a.m.

yea I just realized that
lolwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

mndy said on January 30, 2011 at 1:51 a.m.

Daigo put Chun in C Tier? What am I reading... Nothing makes sense anymore.

kara said on January 30, 2011 at 1:51 a.m.

Sasori_ said on January 30, 2011 at 1:56 a.m.

Rose is not THAT bad.

SnakeX said on January 30, 2011 at 2:01 a.m.

There really aren't many surprises based on what we already knew about AE. Biggest surprise is Makoto; I'm sure everyone expected her to be good this time around, but top 10 good? Talk about a turn around, heh.
Biggest discrepancy is Chun-Li, since Daigo, Mago, and Tokido each have her in a different tier.

Sorry, but I'd rather trust three top Japanese players over some random, angry Event Hubs commenter.

shinakka said on January 30, 2011 at 2:04 a.m.

Still stickin' with Juri :-D

kyubi99 said on January 30, 2011 at 2:09 a.m.

A lot of people think daigo has a horrible sense when it comes to tiers lists. Although it does make sense with these new lists. Vanilla used to be slow and defensive. SF4, especially with AE, is becoming much more offensively based. The rushdown characters are taking over.

Hajiki said on January 30, 2011 at 2:16 a.m.

Probably, but I find it very surprising that they feel Fei-Long is suddenly so much better when I remember reading mostly about the pointless nerfs he was getting. I'm guessing there must be some VERY good Fei players in Japan for him to be ranked that high.

Paine said on January 30, 2011 at 2:18 a.m.

Guys, think about it this way: It's GOOD that there are many debates on who is good and who isn't! That means the game is probably closer to balanced then ever. There are some characters that stand out more then others, but a good 20~+ of the cast can be mixed up in any order and debated HEAVILY! Consider this a God-send that you guys are questioning their judgment this much.

Paine said on January 30, 2011 at 2:18 a.m.

@13; he got 1 nerf (something that was somewhat ridiculous anyways) and the rest buffs. What pointless nerfs?

MasterCheeze said on January 30, 2011 at 2:22 a.m.

Hmm, E. Honda and Ryu that high? Hopefully they can keep up there.

jhayze said on January 30, 2011 at 2:24 a.m.

the japanese are mindf*cking us! lmao! XD

SakuraKasuganoFan said on January 30, 2011 at 2:25 a.m.

Sakura not a low tier? What a Dream Come True :D

Hajiki said on January 30, 2011 at 2:25 a.m.

Total removal of the invincibility on chicken wing particularly, I honestly find that questionable, then again I don't remember reading about any other nerfs. So you are right in that regard, I did hear he can use rekkas to go through fireballs, thought that was a pretty neat addition. Sounds like he's gotten a lot better, the only thing he seems to be lacking in my opinion is a reliable armor breaking attack.

koppok said on January 30, 2011 at 2:25 a.m.

Fei-Long was already very good in ssf4 so it is not "suddenly" at all. It is just that a lot of Fei players want to make ppl think otherwise by typing pages of text to defend why their char is not top tier...

LordJim said on January 30, 2011 at 2:25 a.m.

Mago plays Fei Long, for starters.
And they had him on top for SSF4 too.
And a character is as good as the actual players representing them.

Hajiki said on January 30, 2011 at 2:29 a.m.

@20 and 21

You both make good points, I really only occasionally read about the latest tourney info since I live in an area where very few are held.

Ex_Ein said on January 30, 2011 at 2:38 a.m.

They played little to no players of who they considered low teir

ShadowKnight28 said on January 30, 2011 at 2:45 a.m.

Guys, the game has been out for a little over a month. This is obviously NOT a definitive tiers list, it's just based off their experience with the game so far. Granted, they're 3 of the best players in the world, but that doesn't mean their opinions can't change.

Hell, we haven't even gotten any big AE tournaments like SBO yet, so they may not have seen the best T.Hawk or Cody (just random examples) players yet who don't live in the same area (and by extension, don't play in the same arcades) as these guys. Jeez, would you guys relax and stop perpetuating the stereotype of an eventscrub?

Hajiki said on January 30, 2011 at 2:48 a.m.

Duh, you think we don't know that? We're simply discussing the list as it is RIGHT NOW. I'm fully aware that their opinions may change over time.

C2Q said on January 30, 2011 at 3:04 a.m.

just wait for the actual lists with oni and e.ryu in them, i would be more interested to see those. these are w/e

mavfan619 said on January 30, 2011 at 3:44 a.m.

^ Agreed I think Oni and less so E.Ryu both have the potential to rushdown as well as solidly zone so I think they too will have solid placings once they're "official."

CartooN said on January 30, 2011 at 3:51 a.m.

*Waits for a random rise in fei players online*

xShonuffx said on January 30, 2011 at 3:57 a.m.

Until the game is exposed by all pros from around the world, these tier list will and soon will be obsolete.

hetisvet said on January 30, 2011 at 4:01 a.m.

This is the most pointless tier list I have seen I'm not even saying tier lists are a bad thing but when you're trying to make a tier list and two characters aren't even included then you know it's too early.

balmung55 said on January 30, 2011 at 4:07 a.m.

Adon moved up damn

LordJim said on January 30, 2011 at 4:11 a.m.

@#30
Evil Ryu and Oni are not even unlocked in Japan, and they were not supposed to be out till May.

Scorpion said on January 30, 2011 at 4:18 a.m.

efex23 said on January 30, 2011 at 4:33 a.m.

wtf is daigo smoking...chun in c ? i know this game is rushdown based but shoot chun did not get the nerf hammer as bad as others !!

pinoy929 said on January 30, 2011 at 4:37 a.m.

Charge characters and fireball characters get the nerf in AE. That's what it sounds like from all the changes that were released.

RawVoltage said on January 30, 2011 at 4:46 a.m.

April 2009, Seth Ranked #10 SF4
October 2009, Seth Ranked #8 SF4
February 2010, Seth Ranked #8 SF4
July 2010, Seth Ranked #11 SSF4
October 2010, Seth Ranked #12 SSF4

Now Seth barely breaks the B rank?
What the f--- capcom? >.>

smasherjosh said on January 30, 2011 at 4:52 a.m.

You guys have to realize that this is the most balanced Street Fighter, so the characters on the bottom of this tier list are not "bad", they just aren't as good as the other characters. For example, T Hawk and Ibuki can both be played at high levels, even though they are at the bottom of this tier list. All these characters can compete with each other, which makes it such a balanced game.

You guys are living on the tier lists, and you're calling them retarded even though they've played AE much more than you guys.

Also, people need to realize that these are just opinions from other people, just like all other tier lists. They are not necessarily made to agree with your opinions.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on January 30, 2011 at 4:54 a.m.

These tiers are BS until the new characters are added.

Hayate1984 said on January 30, 2011 at 4:57 a.m.

I don't understand why they consider Fei-Long to be top-tier.

I know the character have awesome normals, focus attack, combos, anti-air etc.. He got tools for everything but his ultra sucks. In my opinion a top-tier character should also have a great ultras. Fei's ultra 1 does not allow full animation when done through FADC and it is hard to punish fireballs because of spacing, sometimes it won't connect. Also very hard to anti-air with it. I wish it had priority like Sagat's Ultra 1.

Bajas said on January 30, 2011 at 5:26 a.m.

these lists are based on top level play. So this list doesn't mean sh*t for anyone reading this page, basically

MiltonSaysHi said on January 30, 2011 at 5:28 a.m.

I don't understand why these tier lists even matter. Play as someone you like, practice, learn the match-ups, and have fun.

Cascadian1106 said on January 30, 2011 at 5:32 a.m.

I had at least a little respect for Daigo before but now, I guess he's also prone to flaws. Chun in C tier?! Right... Chun has the advantage over the three characters they consider to be top (Yun, Yang and Fei). Fei's normal buffs haven't exactly eliminated his weakness against charge characters so I don't really see why he's "S" tier. Balrog also didn't get any significant nerfs and he's "B"?! Geez, some people have been smoking more than weed I'd say. Chun's nerfs in AE only included df+lk increased start-up and st.+mp -10 damage which aren't even game-changing. Hello?! As a Chun player, I've never actually used st.+mp to do damage but merely as a zoning tool for me to cancel into either kikouken, hazanshu or link hit-confirm super. All I've seen so far are videos of Yun and Yang since AE came out so I doubt that the so called top tier characters have faced the entire cast enough for these "top" players to state that they're that much stronger against the rest. Fei Long, "S" tier? Please....He's not even good enough to make it to "A" tier. I'll believe that once he's found a way to get around his charge character weakness.

juanrock said on January 30, 2011 at 5:32 a.m.

juri at the bottom!? come on!

genesiskhan said on January 30, 2011 at 5:45 a.m.

@ 31 I know hes up in the listings now which means thanks to ae tweaks hes still plenty good and wont take me long to get my b rank and up back when they realese ae

GomuJonny said on January 30, 2011 at 6:01 a.m.

So, if Blanka is that low, will people quit bitching about those who use him?

It'd be nice to not instantly feel like a bad guy just because I like his move set. And yes, I hate playing against him too. But I blame myself when I get beat, not the other person character choice.

As for Cody, I'm always surprised by people putting him so low. He seems to have an answer for everything. Loads of anti-air moves. High priority. Easy links. All his moves can break armor. The Easiest FADC-Ultra.

As a scrub, I F*&%ING HATE CODY!

TheShotokan said on January 30, 2011 at 6:10 a.m.

mndy said on January 30, 2011 at 6:42 a.m.

Cody lacks footsies, loses fireball wars, and is practically free on wakeup. He also lacks "comeback ability." He has some great tools and strong frametraps and normals, but he has significant flaws holding him back.

Cody is a good character, though.

JanTheMan said on January 30, 2011 at 6:55 a.m.

Isn't Tier list just shows how overused a character is?

LordJim said on January 30, 2011 at 7:08 a.m.

Not really, how many Fei Longs have you seen?

Fightingfan69 said on January 30, 2011 at 7:08 a.m.

What the heck? 2 months after release and they have this tier list compiled already? Are these players basing this off of battle points or something? Every time I see the list of bp points etc there is Fei, Yun, Makoto, ken and there is a single Gen player there.

I think it's still way too early to judge. Yeah Yun and Yang could be that good but players are still figuring things out with the rest of the cast.

Interesting that both players that gave input put so many in a clustered group. At least, according to them, no one seems to be low tier like Dan, Makoto, Hakan when SSF4 was released.

I still think Gen is underrated for the amount of work that players have invested in him as well as Guy. Sakura and Makoto jumped up big time. They both should be at least within B tier.

Psycho said on January 30, 2011 at 7:17 a.m.

Oni and E ryu look so weak so they won't even bother!

WIWI_HEAD said on January 30, 2011 at 7:17 a.m.

Tiers depend partially on the players. If you saw nagoya street battle you'll see that even though Fei is "S", a Fei Long player did not win the tourney.

Just like Tokido believes, Ryu's Rank(Tier) depended on Daigo.
I'm pretty sure Fei Long's tier really depends on strong players like Mago, since he is probably the strongest Fei in the world.

I would also assume that tiers are based on the tools each character has. Fei has some of the most useful tools in the game, such as escape chickenwing(EX), several option selects, good footsies, flamekick for anti-air.

If strong players play other characters and make them as strong as possible then they would probably go up the Tier list.

Psycho said on January 30, 2011 at 7:19 a.m.

I'm liking this tier, things looking OK so far!!

Guibbows said on January 30, 2011 at 7:29 a.m.

i don't think ocdy is C tier.... B at lest.

Shake3 said on January 30, 2011 at 7:45 a.m.

Juri never gets love from the masses T_T

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on January 30, 2011 at 7:57 a.m.

I tried using him. I HATE how slow his walk speed is. It's a dramatic change going from Bison to try and use Cody.

efex23 said on January 30, 2011 at 7:57 a.m.

@ 42 cudnt have said it better myself !!!

Existent said on January 30, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.

I don't even know why I bothered to read this. I stopped caring what people thought of the characters a long time ago.

Hiakimaru said on January 30, 2011 at 8:09 a.m.

I just say f*** the tier list i dont care about it...
just play the caracter you like.

DestinyZX1 said on January 30, 2011 at 8:14 a.m.

Fei-Long... S Rank!? What in the world!?

Megadautilus said on January 30, 2011 at 8:14 a.m.

The good thing is that aside from the top like 8 characters the rest are basically on the same level.

EX_Machina said on January 30, 2011 at 8:16 a.m.

Fei-Long > Sheng Long

YoshinatorZ said on January 30, 2011 at 8:22 a.m.

I love how many people Dan beats. Hope it stays that way.

KanyeWest said on January 30, 2011 at 8:31 a.m.

^those names are alphabetically arranged

SteadiestShark said on January 30, 2011 at 8:31 a.m.

lol.

OG said on January 30, 2011 at 8:32 a.m.

Fei is so good he doesn't rely on his ultra to win. If he had a better ultra he'd be even more deadly.

mtran said on January 30, 2011 at 8:32 a.m.

yes, my baby mama viper

Darkyellow said on January 30, 2011 at 8:46 a.m.

Whoever is wondering why Cody is bad, he has absolutely zero mobility, a bad backdash, and his only wake-up option is EXTREMELY slow. You might as well play Balrog if you want to play a character like Cody, but better in every way.

lynx_ID said on January 30, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.

fei was already high in super, he dont need bufs in arcade, but he got, is like chun in vanilla, was high and then some buffs to super and top tier, and now is the case, fei long is looking very cheap now, people will defend but is the true, he is looking very cheap, and why daigo and the others put him in first place? I mean, they are pros they know, know more than most of people here saying he isnt that good

Rekkaken2468 said on January 30, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.

awsome! fei gets his well deserved spot on the top ^^ on a downside, i hate the fact dat guile is now very low :/

Anton said on January 30, 2011 at 8:54 a.m.

Poor Rose.

Gameplay changes screwed her over.

She's still solid midtier imo though. They put her low in regular Super, because there are no Japanese Rose players.

But losing one of her best tools would put her down, it wouldn't put her down all the way to bottom.

jammasta said on January 30, 2011 at 8:58 a.m.

My mains were Chun Li, Ibuki, and Rose. It's pretty depressing to see Ibuki and Rose near the bottom, even if this game is balanced. Chun Li being disputed gives me some hope that they didn't just kill all of my mains.

I do like that Fei Long is top, Sakura moved up, and Viper and Makoto are high. I don't like that T. Hawk, Juri, Hakan, Gen, Guy, and Gouken are still really low.

Rufus sunk, too.

Helgen said on January 30, 2011 at 9:07 a.m.

Tiers are for queers.

efex23 said on January 30, 2011 at 9:10 a.m.

rose is also questionable with regards to tiers. her footsie game is as devastating as chunli an bison, the only thing is that she doesnt have a gud wake up game. an besides her U2 nerf NOTHING WAS CHANGED . so y the heck is she that low ? screw this tier listing

JanTheMan said on January 30, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.

Seems like AE is just another installment of Super Unbalanced Fighter 4.

SteadiestShark said on January 30, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.

@ 39 & 67

I think that the fact that his focus attack is so damned good helps him land his otherwise crappy ultra.

SpicyBurrito said on January 30, 2011 at 9:27 a.m.

Expect to see viper drop off that A tier in a few months.

Phoenix_Remnant said on January 30, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.

so fei long might actually stand a chance now...i figured sagat ad bison would end up in the same tier as ryu...kinda shocked about t. hawk...he was up there before sheesh...let's go shadoloo!!! lol

CammyBoy said on January 30, 2011 at 9:34 a.m.

Guile goes way up! Then Guile goes way down. I guess the japanese didn't like having an american character at the top of the tiers.(Don't get you panties all wenched up and start a flame war, it's a joke)

Nice to see Vega(claw) in the B tier, even though in the end that means he's going to end up at the lower end of c tier when the list is done, oh well

broz0rs said on January 30, 2011 at 9:40 a.m.

best thing about Fei being S Tier is that no matter how hard players try playing with him, it will be really hard to be good with him. you can never play auto-pilot with Fei.

TheShotokan said on January 30, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.

mcfizzle said on January 30, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.

@ 76 it doesn't get anymore balanced than SSF4AE. You might as well just start complaining about all fighting games.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on January 30, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.

I think they just pull names out of a hat when it comes to making tier lists.
Play characters that suit you on "execution level" and "strategy" and you will win a lot more.

Oh yeah, for those people who love to brand others as 'tier whores' need to STFU. If you spend £40/$60 your hard earned cash on a game, you can play who ever the F*** you want.

Overall, if you lose it's mostly down to you or a laggy connection and not the character.

RandomDP said on January 30, 2011 at 9:48 a.m.

Where is E. Ryu and Oni in this list? Oh wait... They don't exist according to Capcom >.>

Funkylam said on January 30, 2011 at 9:48 a.m.

oh goodie I'am now a tier whore

deteknician said on January 30, 2011 at 9:58 a.m.

#14: me "likes" your post.

konachin said on January 30, 2011 at 10:02 a.m.

why is cammy in top 10 and not balrog if he is above her in all 3 lists?

zUkUu said on January 30, 2011 at 10:03 a.m.

mago looks the most legit. no way that balrog and chun are not top tier anymore.

sowutifmahsnsux said on January 30, 2011 at 10:08 a.m.

i'm quitting ryu and learning fei long and the twins

Anomaly said on January 30, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.

LOL Yeah I'm sure your word is worth more than professional players, including the world's top players of the game.

Get out, troll.

Tru1yOdd said on January 30, 2011 at 10:25 a.m.

Evil Ryu is Akuma without a Vortex or air firballs.... Who wants that? Just because he has Ryu in his name dosent make him anything special.

Tier list looks good and it really shows what type of game is AE. You can no longer just turtle it out and win you gotta fight now and thats probably why you see the top tiers that you do. Tier list will probably change alot over time outside of Fei Long I think.

ChuckPlazma said on January 30, 2011 at 10:31 a.m.

I'm not trying to be smart or flame anyone but a lot of poeple are really sounding like tier sluts and crying because there making the game more offensive this time around which in my opinion is awesome because who wants to play a fighting game with the best people in the game being the most TROLL-ing in the game..... lets just wait till the update comes out, find the character for you, and go from there(not that it matters cuzz everyones going to run to the twins anyway for the first month)

Darkyellow said on January 30, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.

Only problem with that argument is that a lot of the "true" offensive characters are still at or near the bottom. Don't kid yourself, this game is still about footsies. It just shifted from being about footsies and fireballs to footsies and pressure.

MetroCityPub said on January 30, 2011 at 10:39 a.m.

@4 unless you play AE constantly since release. STFU.

RandomJohn said on January 30, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.

Tier list has always been like a billboard to me. I'll look at it and move on. I think the general idea to know which character is "top tier" is to use each character and how often you win with them (casually online or in arcades or tourneys) and how well you can execute their damaging combos.

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on January 30, 2011 at 11:02 a.m.

i like people who admit they`re teir whores more than people who dont...wait let me rephrase that

i hate people who admit they`re teir whores less than those who dont...there much better.

guys seriously the list just came out, stop saying oh crap my character is nerfed now i gotta switch

thats being stupid on your part. wait until the DLC (if you cant play AE) and see how well you still do with your character. if he/she no longer fits your play style, or you just want to win then switch. but dont start whining now. that makes no sense. anyways i usually see more crying, but this time i think a lot of people have grown up and realized its just a game and just wanna have fun rather than troll about how the game is unfair because they cant win lol. good job EventHubs, im proud of you guys (for what its worth)...except you #4

RandomJohn said on January 30, 2011 at 11:11 a.m.

@#4:

I think the only person trolling is you. Although I don't believe in the tier system, these people studies the game like it's part of their life. Just because you're bitter about your characters being on the bottom does not mean these people don't know what they're talking about. Oh yea, they also have TONS more credentials than you.

BlankaBeast said on January 30, 2011 at 11:12 a.m.

Nerf Blanka more!

Like I've been saying all along...

Fei God Long Tier

Guardsian said on January 30, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

a tier list doesn't mean you are going to win if you pick them, Tier lists don't take into account "Player factor"
but on another note.. Dan isn't bottom 5! I'm maining him again!

Starcharger28 said on January 30, 2011 at 11:18 a.m.

Anyone who actually lets "tiers" dictate how they choose a character in a fighting game is a true scrub. And anyone who disputes that is in the scrub category as well. I look at "tier lists" and I just laugh because i take my Juri, Adon, and T.Hawk and mop the floor with every "top tier" character in the game. So get off of the "tier lists" people.

Load more comments