More community news for January 21st

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 21, 2011 at 3:36 p.m. PST
More community news for January 21st

• Geni noticed that there's a Hugo icon in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. Some people are theorizing this is because he's in one of the backgrounds, while others think this could have implications he'll show up in the future.

• Dhim, a.k.a. nutsVSguts did an animated Street Fighter music video.

• ReNiC has more SSF4 online escapades up, Week 2 and Week 3, for those of you who enjoyed his first session with Hakan that was posted a ways back.

• IPlayWinner has interviews with AndyOCR and Lamerboi, talking about how they got their start in fighting games, preparing for tournaments and stuff of that nature.

• Lynaken posted today's SSF4 AE BP ranking.

Comments

Benjeezy said on January 21, 2011 at 3:59 p.m.

I'm always struck by an urge to flag every video by nutsVSguts for sexual content, but I can't ever bring myself to do so.

Benjeezy said on January 21, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.

I also feel that Hugo would be a nifty addition to SSF4, but I will not get my hopes up.

gattz said on January 21, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.

I don't think I can handle anymore Hugo.

Benjeezy said on January 21, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.

@Gattz

Ya damn right! NOBODY can handle Hugo! There is just too much of him.

othawize said on January 21, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.

definitly Andore, Jr.

Belmont said on January 21, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.

Yeah, he will always be Andore in my eyes. I wouldn't mind him in some form of a cameo or character.

cordova said on January 21, 2011 at 4:27 p.m.

HUGO coming soon.

J said on January 21, 2011 at 4:30 p.m.

It's very obvious it's just Hugo as he appears in the skyscraper background. Nothing new. Why is there such a fuss about this?

Benjeezy said on January 21, 2011 at 4:37 p.m.

@J

Cuz it's fun to speculate :D

geni said on January 21, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.

yep I am excited there is a possible chance Hugo might appear in SSIV after all. who know maybe poison will make a appearance as a side kick

MALDA said on January 21, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.

Otter_of_Death said on January 21, 2011 at 4:47 p.m.

F*** Hugo. Why do people like this guy? He's a dated design from 1989, and Capcom somehow found a way to make him look worse in SF3. He had no eyes, his face looked like it was made of jello, and his costume looks like something David Bowie threw up.

Though I will admit that SSF4 doesn't have too many grapplers. Oh wait, it totally does. Hugo can go suck his manager's chode.

MALDA said on January 21, 2011 at 4:48 p.m.

Kenshiro said on January 21, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.

@ #6 he's in the background of Haggar's stage in MvC3. Redesigned along with Poison.

Benjeezy said on January 21, 2011 at 4:51 p.m.

LMAO @ unsolicited hate

C'mon guys. This is just 100% speculating and rumors about nothing. As far as we know, Yun and Yang are the only 2 new AE characters.

...but we all know believing that is no fun ;)

Otter_of_Death said on January 21, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.

Benjeezy

No, no, no, you misunderstand. I don't hate that Hugo MIGHT BE in SSF4 AE; I'm totally cool with speculation. I just hate Hugo. I hate everything about him. I hate the possibility of him being in any game ever, and I hate the fact the anyone in the community would see Hugo and not scoff. Seriously people: RAISE YOUR STANDARDS!!!

Aftermath1349 said on January 21, 2011 at 5 p.m.

So because a character LOOKS bad he's a bad in general? How about you play him first? He's actually very interesting for a grappler. If we somehow get more 3S characters I'm cool with that.

Otter_of_Death said on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 p.m.

@ Aftermath1349

Then make a new character who doesn't look like feces. It doesn't have to be anything spiffy. It can be a giant stick figure. We'll call him Todd.

Just because a character plays good does not justify artistic FAIL.

Otter_of_Death said on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 p.m.

v@ Aftermath1349

Sorry, should clarify: Give him a new design is what I meant.

ButterKnife said on January 21, 2011 at 5:16 p.m.

@Otter_of_Death

Hugo looks awesome, and he's based off a real person. Just because he's not good looking doesn't mean he's not "artistic." Street Fighter's artistic style has a tradition of over the top manliness. Hugo fits in pretty well.

If you want every character to be pretty there's always King of Fighters, DoA, Guilty Gear, Melty Blood...

Otter_of_Death said on January 21, 2011 at 5:23 p.m.

@Butterknife

I don't think that's a fair justification because the other Street Fighter characters, for the most part, look good.

Actually, it's really just Hugo and Oro. Urien's design was a bit lazy, but it didn't look BAD. Hugo actually looked better in his debut rendition in Final Fight.

mrdrofficer said on January 21, 2011 at 5:31 p.m.

@otter

Hugo, Oro and Elena were my favorites. Hugo and Oro and Elena would be cool, but I have to give up any of 'em for Rolento. I think the whole community collectively misses him these days.

Playable Poison with Rolento and Hugo would be the perfect trio of new characters.

GUNNAH_MAN said on January 21, 2011 at 5:42 p.m.

tbh i think its pretty clear there are more characters coming when AE hits console, capcom have been adding characters since the start of sf4, sf4 arcade to sf4 console (8 characters) sf4 console to ssf4 (10 characters) ssf4 to ssf4 AE (2 characters) ssf4 AE to ssf4 AE console (0 characters) ? -_- yh f*cking right lool theres obviously more characters coming.

geni said on January 21, 2011 at 5:44 p.m.

other than Otter I am glad to see so many Hugo supporters out there, i think bringing Hugo to the table will help the SSIV community Grow. its a whole new character!! and not just Hugo. there are many other characters to. if i am wrong please correct me but besides yun and yang there are going to be 4 more characters!

xShonuffx said on January 21, 2011 at 5:52 p.m.

Well I like Hugo, but how do you "earn" the Hugo icon, it could just be simply that....an icon.

histopher said on January 21, 2011 at 5:59 p.m.

Hmmm, it's hard for me to believe Ono was trolling so hard about Poison in SSFIVAE, so maybe there is more to this.

genesiskhan said on January 21, 2011 at 6:01 p.m.

its most likely an icon but as geni said really look at ae select screen obviously there gunna add four more characters two on top of either yun or yang but who they put in will be all up to them i mean look at ae as a whole they had to atleast run it in the arcades first to see if the hype was there and stayed and then they could market it to all although they knew for sure everyone wanted it the moment they heard of it and definitly after people seen it

djb1ge said on January 21, 2011 at 6:06 p.m.

That's what I was wondering. Are Yun & Yang the only characters added in AE, or are there more and will be revealed via time-release?

terror said on January 21, 2011 at 6:21 p.m.

WHERE IS KARIN????

powderedtoastman said on January 21, 2011 at 6:27 p.m.

As long as hugo pops in playing like his 3rd strike self ill drop my other grapplers for him. Such as his running grab set ups being useful...unlike giefs >:( palms claps doing crazy hit stun, and wall throw into megaton press(hopefully ultra 2)
and last but not least the slew of normals he had that doubled as overheads :D

mrdrofficer said on January 21, 2011 at 6:42 p.m.

Going back to what I said earlier, this year is the 20th anniversary of SFII and I think commemorating it with one new character from each series for the console release and even a special edition store version would be an amazing finale to the SFIV series.

cvs said on January 21, 2011 at 7:07 p.m.

@7 He is?

@10 hugo is already in ssf4

@12 so is blanka but people don't complain about his design.

@24 It is?

@30 Back in 1998 where SFA3 is.

@32 Only problem with that,how would putting more characters in ssf"4" help celebrate sf"2"?

GUNNAH_MAN said on January 21, 2011 at 7:28 p.m.

@cvs

yes it is lool

gammabolt17 said on January 21, 2011 at 9:04 p.m.

I don't understand how Andore can look worse than his Final Fight rendition when he is a better looking Andore wearing the same exact clothes that they named Hugo

Otter_of_Death said on January 21, 2011 at 9:52 p.m.

@CVS

Actually, Blanka's design is pretty good.

@Gammabolt17

The original Andore had human eyes and didn't look like he was made out of melted ice cream.

Aftermath1349 said on January 21, 2011 at 11:47 p.m.

Did you ever consider the artist gave him sunken eyes (if you played 3S you'd know he has eyes) for a reason? Like maybe because he's supposed to live into the stereotype of wrestlers being big, dumb apes? SF characters have always been as stereotypical as possible and Hugo is no exception. Once again, a characters looks don't matter if they play well. If your playing fighting games for "cool" looking characters your investing in the wrong company. Arc System Works would happily have you though.

And you think Oro is a bad character design? Let me guess, "he's old and wrinkly... And looks like melted ice cream" thats your reasoning right? No wonder 3S gets shunned in America...

Genuserx said on January 22, 2011 at 12:05 a.m.

Hugo is nice and all, but what AE needs is a young Gen!

Otter_of_Death said on January 22, 2011 at 12:49 a.m.

@Aftermath1349

If you truly believe that having good gameplay gives Capcom license to make characters look terrible, then I don't know what to tell ya. But your old/wrinkly assumption is nonsense. Gen is old and wrinkly, yet he manages not to look like ass. Gen is actually one of the better designs in Alpha.

Oro looks like the corpse of a steroid-enhanced Halloween witch with her head shaved. I don't see how anyone with decent vision can defend that design. That fact that exponentially more people have requested Q than Oro for SSF4 AE... even though Q is way lower on the tier list, demonstrates that point.

And so what if Hugo has sunken eyes? Is that a reason not to animate them? Sure, graphical limitations may have made that difficult, but if implementing an idea makes a character look worse, ditch the idea. And that still doesn't explain why his face looks like it's about to fall off.

othawize said on January 22, 2011 at 12:52 a.m.

Im down for a young Gen....Old Gen is a beast in the right hands

Creeper said on January 22, 2011 at 1:04 a.m.

@Otter_of_Death
You have the right to not like Hugo, but he looks exactly the way he's supposed to look: like an homage to the great André the Giant.
That's what granted André his immense stature (and unfortunately, eventual death), and it was exaggerated for Hugo in typical Street Fighter fashion.
"The forehead and overlying skin is thickened, which may lead to frontal bossing (an unusually prominent forehead sometimes with a heavy brow ridge)."

Otter_of_Death said on January 22, 2011 at 1:32 a.m.

@Creeper

Although that's a fair response, the way it was implimented looks awkward and strange. Artistically, there's no pay-off past the reference. Fei Long is a tribute to Bruce Lee, but looks kinda cool at the same time, so if someone doesn't get the reference, the design still works by itself.

On a side note, doesn't it seem strange to a create a character homage to someone and then include features of their illness into the character? I'm a big "Princess Bride" fan; I totally dig Andre the Giant. I just don't think a tribute should be that comically unattractive. Andre was not a bad looking man.

Genuserx said on January 22, 2011 at 1:49 a.m.

I think otter has a point. I've looked at Hugo's face for a bit and it really does look like melted ice cream with hair on top if you think about it.

Tell me those flabby cheeks don't remind you of ice cream!

RA_MO said on January 22, 2011 at 3:16 a.m.

Its fine to not like a character based on appearance but it seems just like in life.. In games, you don't always get what you want... Now granted if you want to go that way... There are "beautiful" people and there are "ugly" people. Not much you can really do. Just stay clear from him if needed. Because that design has been around for awhile and it seems like they will most likely keep it... If anything it might get a slight modification but nothing to your liking. I mean its not impossible to have ugly people that can fight too right?

ButterKnife said on January 22, 2011 at 7:01 a.m.

@Genusex

This is why Hugo looks like that.