More online character usage stats for Super Street Fighter 4

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 20, 2011 at 12:38 a.m. PST
More online character usage stats for Super Street Fighter 4 Many EventHubs.com members have been contributing to a second list that kept track of how often they came across the game's 35 characters when playing online Ranked Mode in Super Street Fighter 4.

A huge, huge, huge thanks goes out to JetX, Ambahdextrous and ZombieBrian who took a bunch of their own time to compile this list for everyone.

A total of 4,000 matches were recorded. Hit the jump to check the results of the community's efforts.

Round 2 online character usage Super Street Fighter 4 numbers

In case you want to compare, the previous online character usage percentage for Super Street Fighter 4 was posted back in late September 2010.

Here are a few notes to mark some of the differences between the two lists.

• While Ryu remained in the top spot, the amount of people using him dropped down from 16.5% to 14.2%.

• Vega (Claw) and Cody took a nice hop in popularity, climbing the chart a bit.

• Adon took a sizable drop in the amount of times he showed up, while Balrog (Boxer) and Sagat also took a noticeable dives.

• Despite Dudley, Sakura and Juri being fairly low in the tier rankings, these three characters still have a good following online.

Also shout outs to x Who Is Alpha, Zegram, Terror, Legacy Virus, Tamaraw1971, Kogia, TooN_MytH, Catalyst_NC, 4120u, Mrcinsc, Gnama, Motopsycho, Mav2j, TommyTwoTime77, Grimmjow316, IMainDanHibiki, BloodyNights, Snowilazed, Kewlname, Kanped, Comatose Lad, SFilp, Shannaro!!! JetX, Ambahdextrous and ZombieBrian for contributing tons and tons of match numbers.

Comments

SpiceyChicken said on January 20, 2011 at 12:43 a.m.

Interesting, seems about right to me. Though I haven't played this game in awhile, for me El Fuerte would be around the #15 mark.

xShonuffx said on January 20, 2011 at 12:44 a.m.

@1 second that.

Damn this list almost looks like a tier ranking. Funny.

ElectricBlanka said on January 20, 2011 at 12:44 a.m.

ROOOARR more Blanka players please!

Existent said on January 20, 2011 at 12:44 a.m.

I can't believe Gouken was used more than Sagat. The mind reels.

Drd said on January 20, 2011 at 12:46 a.m.

Guy is so underrated.

kingofthesharks said on January 20, 2011 at 12:55 a.m.

Cody at #8. WOW...

I have no problem with that it was just unexpected.

zombiebrian said on January 20, 2011 at 12:56 a.m.

Last list till AE come-ith at which point i hope to see a few of the guys reading this give us a hand.

I think it would be an idea for cat to run a poll on the main page asking people who visit this site who they main. srk did it a few months back but hey its always fun to compare slongs lol

zombiebrian said on January 20, 2011 at 12:59 a.m.

Its funny how i and others say ranked mode is casuals domain when thats where you get points from (which supposedly says how good you are) yet most of the hardcore guys play in endless usually to avoid the casuals in the ranked mode seems messed up to me but then no one likes loosing to a masher bring back champs mode i say!!

xRELLIKx said on January 20, 2011 at 1:38 a.m.

wow. codys the only non sf2 character in top 10. cant say i was expecting that. most people i fight play him as a secondary. wouldnt be surprised if he was highest for alt, but #8 is a surprise.

ArykheartX said on January 20, 2011 at 1:38 a.m.

I play makoto and yes I would say this is about right except for somereason I am seeing a crap ton of T hawks.....

SAMURAI said on January 20, 2011 at 1:49 a.m.

Strange, I thought that Zangief was way more used.

h2kvus said on January 20, 2011 at 1:54 a.m.

when AE comes out YUN and YANG will take ryu and ken s place...

Legacy_Virus said on January 20, 2011 at 2:01 a.m.

I'm amazed Rose went from 29 to 22. And Gen moved up one notch lol.

SAMURAI said on January 20, 2011 at 2:14 a.m.

And I don't understand why Rufus is so low. I mean, he's a beast and top players like Justin & Ricky are using him.

And it's a shame that Dan gets no love.

zombiebrian said on January 20, 2011 at 2:36 a.m.

Rufus players claim that he is terrible online and his bad matchups include ryu.

JrockEclipse said on January 20, 2011 at 2:37 a.m.

AceKombat dan =)

BajanBlanka said on January 20, 2011 at 2:48 a.m.

I'm liking that not alot of people use Deejay cuz I dont like how lame that miror match is lol.

zombiebrian said on January 20, 2011 at 2:53 a.m.

@19 wait till ae he will be where guile is

H3r01990 said on January 20, 2011 at 3:50 a.m.

What's this on? PS3? XBL?
Cause I barely see any Akuma players. Other than that, looks pretty reasonable.

But Hi5 for Vega being at #9! lol

Zarathos said on January 20, 2011 at 4:08 a.m.

@#15

Most find rufus beyond ugly . He's a beast but since he isnt truly better than the other high tiers , and is said to lose to ryu , the most popular guy .... of course very few will bother with him .

Johnick said on January 20, 2011 at 4:09 a.m.

Guy is almost as popular as Gief and more popular then Adon online ?, not on XBL in Europe anyway. Been a decent amount of Adons since Gamerbee's upset at Evo, and there's always been plenty of 360 spamming Gief's & T.Hawks to.

Still, as a Guy player Im glad to see he's getting more recognition.

nebbiez said on January 20, 2011 at 4:23 a.m.

@ 23

Yeah good to see Guy's popularity is increasing. A very underappreciated character! He's gonna be such a beast in AE. I guarantee if/when the DLC comes, more people will pick him up then.

Johnick said on January 20, 2011 at 4:32 a.m.

@ 24

SFilp, It would be interesting to see what the Ultra's of choice were ?.

I know most characters have different Ultra's for different match-ups, Adon should only use Jaguar Revolver against Fireball characters and Jaguar Avalance against characters who dont, but some people use Jaguar Avalanche exclusively as you can FADC into it and Adon already has other ways around fireballs.

Then there are characters who have 1 good ultra and 1 totally useless one (e.g, Vipers U2), or Ryu's U2 which seems to be flowchart Ryu's Ultra of choice for some reason (is it because they cant do any of his vastly superior U1 setups ?, is it because it just looks cool or is it just for mashing out if your getting pressured ?).

gaffel123 said on January 20, 2011 at 4:38 a.m.

f*cking 14% scrubby ass ryu's online makes this game boring as sh!t to play

Aftermath1349 said on January 20, 2011 at 4:49 a.m.

They ought to list if they play the same person over and over for a specific character as that happens a lot in ranked. I say that because it seems incredibly odd to have Dudley so far up without playing the same couple Dudleys over and over again. I play ranked in two different cities over the course of a week and I tend to see the same names over and over and over. If that's the case with the people who made this list (as it most certainly is) then it kind of nullifies the whole thing.

zombiebrian said on January 20, 2011 at 4:57 a.m.

nah we avoided that buy asking the guys to only count the same person in one day

downruplyb said on January 20, 2011 at 4:57 a.m.

Gotta say I'm a little shocked that my mon Dee Jay is only above the joke characters. I knew he'd be low, but that low? But that'll change once AE goes DLC and all the Guile players flock to Dee Jay looking for refuge.

H3r01990 said on January 20, 2011 at 5:21 a.m.

I have 2500 PP, and I can never do FADC with Vega nor Akuma.
Just had to say that, but I get what you're saying about the rest.

H3r01990 said on January 20, 2011 at 5:25 a.m.

then again...My PP usually ranges from 1,500-1,800. Why it's so high now? idk. Just lucky? lol

Kira_Timmy said on January 20, 2011 at 6:03 a.m.

with some chars i can do fadc. thanks to that stupid trophy all c ranks my pp droppped from 3400 to 1500. awesome, yeah!
nice to see dee jay upper tier, yeah!

JIHADJOE said on January 20, 2011 at 6:49 a.m.

Surprised Akuma is above Guile.

Ryu, Ken, Guile are the first three characters most anyone would think of when hearing Street Fighter.

SquidBiskets said on January 20, 2011 at 6:56 a.m.

I play as dan and hakan so...

PropLeXed said on January 20, 2011 at 6:57 a.m.

I wonder how many of those Ryu's can actually do a shoryuken fadc into ultra...

Nyoronoru said on January 20, 2011 at 7:07 a.m.

Shotos and charge characters.

Not big surprise.

irrenmann said on January 20, 2011 at 7:36 a.m.

Surprises for me here include Fei Long and Ibuki being chosen more often than Sagat (...really?), and Ryu holding "only" 14.23%. Sometimes I have three-and-a-half-hour play sessions only where I fight only Ryus. Just unlucky, I guess.

Johnick said on January 20, 2011 at 7:43 a.m.

Most cant, that's why they use Ultra 2 instead. Other then the Fight Club tournament Capcom did when the game launched back in April (and people were just experimenting with the new stuff), Ive never seen any pro players use that Ultra in a serious match up. In fact, Ive never seen a Ryu with over 2000PP use that Ultra on line, no half decent Ryu in there right mind would touch it.

Nei said on January 20, 2011 at 7:49 a.m.

@Johnick
Wow, don't be too harsh. Most ppl that read here use U2 when they pick Ryu;)

ps. I dont play Ryu

Niah said on January 20, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.

how the hell did vega get 9th???

Rekkaken2468 said on January 20, 2011 at 8:06 a.m.

@38, yor right in a way, but daigo used ultra 2 against mago in the high rollers tourney at canada cup (although it didnt really help him XD)

Rekkaken2468 said on January 20, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.

i made a mistake on my previous comment. it was supposed to be @41, not 38. my bad lol

mrcinsc said on January 20, 2011 at 8:11 a.m.

I was careful not to play people twice in one day. I even wrote down usernames of Ryu's to avoid the problem. Most of the Ryu's were pretty tough and capable of high end play including fadc into ultra 1. All in all it was a good experience to learn match ups for me. Looking forward to doing this for AE -

Timber76 said on January 20, 2011 at 8:20 a.m.

YAY FOR VEGA !!!!!!!!

Dumpling said on January 20, 2011 at 8:34 a.m.

Damn, Dee Jay is still so underused, but I do agree with #19 though... the mirror match is pretty retarded.

TheGodOfPez said on January 20, 2011 at 8:43 a.m.

I love how people think BP/PP matters... if you play the game strictly to earn BP/PP, it becomes robotic and unenjoyable. Just my opinion.

omegax9000 said on January 20, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.

vega 9th lol

Psycho said on January 20, 2011 at 9:04 a.m.

oh no not Vega, I hate Vega mirrors!! LOL

Johnick said on January 20, 2011 at 9:05 a.m.

Oh I agree about BP, Ive fought some horrible people with over 5000 BP and likewise had my ass handed to me by a handful of 0BP players. PP is different though, as it (for the most part) reflects your win:loss ratio, 9/10 times players with 2000+ PP are above average.

I don't care about BP or (for the most part) PP, that's why I almost exclusively play endless.

Johnry said on January 20, 2011 at 9:13 a.m.

I understand your sentiment but you will definitely be in for a tough fight if you are against someone with 15000+BP or 4000+PP.

SpaniardSRK said on January 20, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

I think for the most part people with 3kpp and above know how the game engine works, and are pretty good at the game when considering xbl skill across the board.

Whenever I face someone with 4kpp, I know I'm in for a fight, unless it's one of those people that boosts pp, however the hell that's done.

Maryokutai said on January 20, 2011 at 9:26 a.m.

That explains why I had such an easy time ranking up Hakan to C. People just have no idea how to fight him and seem to forget that he’s a grappler.

SpaniardSRK said on January 20, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

Nevermind lol I just played a 14kpb 3200pp boxer with my n00b akuma that I picked up recently and crushed him, I don't even know how to do the akuma vortex yet lol.

terror said on January 20, 2011 at 9:56 a.m.

so many people bash ranked mode but whenever i do endless i end up with 10 game win streaks and bored out of my mind

Johnry said on January 20, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.

@ 57

I hear you about endless. Thats why I set a minimum standard of my friends of B+ with their main character so endless battles will always have 1 or 2 A+s, 2 or 3 As and 1 or 2 B+s.

dondb said on January 20, 2011 at 10:10 a.m.

I think this list is a pretty good snapshot of what I see online.

Hitstick said on January 20, 2011 at 10:37 a.m.

What's the best way to minimize lag on PSN online play?

NissanZaxima said on January 20, 2011 at 10:47 a.m.

Hahaha I knew Cody was omega popular. People who use him tend to think they are one of the only people who do when in reality a ton of people do.

Johnick said on January 20, 2011 at 10:51 a.m.

1. Use a wired rather then a wireless connection, no matter how fast your connection is there is latency between your PS3 connecting to your router wirelessly, especially as the PS3 still uses the old B/G wireless standard rather then the new N standard.

2. Make sure your PS3 is set to NAT1 or NAT2, if it isn't then you need to port forward your router.

3. If there are any other devices on your network then make sure they are not up/downloading while your on PSN, especially torrents, torrents will kill your connection.

Zegram said on January 20, 2011 at 10:54 a.m.

I played Xbox360 & in Europe.
Mostly I was againts Bisons, Vega & Balrog. (which are pretty annoying opponents).
So yeah.. Go Shadaloo...

SpaniardSRK said on January 20, 2011 at 10:59 a.m.

@#60 your best option is to play on xbox live, even tokido noticed lag on the ps3 during offline play, check his latest blog.

Not that XBL is that great either, its bad too but it's the best option available. Unless you can find players that live in your city, then it feels damn near perfect.

Ryu_Apprentice said on January 20, 2011 at 11:09 a.m.

Sometimes I feel like I still live in the stone age. There are only a handful super players and the nearest connection is uk germany france and belgium. Am in nigeria and the lag is super huge we called Super Psychic Fighter.

ImmortalBison said on January 20, 2011 at 11:13 a.m.

LOL training wheels and training wheels jr. take the top two spots. Surprising no one.

MrPavy said on January 20, 2011 at 11:23 a.m.

LOL balrog that low? he should be above guile

SpaniardSRK said on January 20, 2011 at 11:24 a.m.

So bison isn't training wheels is what you're saying? Execution wise he's the most n00b friendly character.

Shadoken said on January 20, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.

Guy is soo underrated...perhaps he will move up AFter AE DLC ...

Shadoken said on January 20, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.

And check out this vid..

Old CvS2 player OTK ... playing guy... it seems out of playin 400 matches he wont 396 of them :O

ImmortalBison said on January 20, 2011 at 11:59 a.m.

Lol. The difference is you actually have to be good with Bison to win often. Once the shoryuken got noob friendly and spammable no one had to work for a shoto win. How funny that you have SRK in your username. But seriously go and spread that little piece of forbidden knowledge so that I see more noob Bison players please.

MadnessFamilyguile said on January 20, 2011 at 12:08 p.m.

Not seeing how bison is more noob friendly execution wise than ryu...i mean come on....

A guy can just pick up ryu and if they press one button then another, it'll probably combo, plus there's the mashing thing, plus they don't have to think about charging, plus alot of shotos don't actually use footsies and they have some of the best jumpins..

Bison has heavy reliance on footsies and not alot of links, no brainless reversal....

Was that a troll or just a shoto player hating on anyone who anti-airs him?

Kijui said on January 20, 2011 at 12:27 p.m.

Thank God no one hardly uses my main. They will not expect most of what Dan can do-ken.

cearbeartron said on January 20, 2011 at 12:29 p.m.

@60 The lag caused by WiFi is minimal when using a g standard or better(PS3 is using .11g). I've used WiFi for my PC (.11g) where the lag has been almost as low as wired with latency going as low as 5ms on some CSS servers. I cant imagine the PS3's WiFi causing much more.

The other notes are true though.

OT.
It's nice to see Vega being more used, he's one of few characters I don't mind a mirror with at all.

Lavama said on January 20, 2011 at 1:01 p.m.

Hey boys and girls! I'm Dorda398 on XBox Live! I'ma Dan user! YAHOO!

BajanBlanka said on January 20, 2011 at 1:48 p.m.

lol if there is lag on the ps3 while offline then thats capcom's fault and they should fix it.

@20. I think a lot of people may try deejay in AE but they wont stick to using him cuz he doesnt play like guile at all. You actually have to fight hard with Deejay to win and he has alot of bad match ups.

SpaniardSRK said on January 20, 2011 at 2:31 p.m.

Supposedly from what I've heard hd remix is garbage on psn....Seems like it's easier to port games to the 360, and in order to make a release date, they rush the ps3 version of sf games........can anyone tell me what the online play for mvc2 is on psn?

Someone should call out capcom if psn is getting the shaft.

Raven said on January 20, 2011 at 2:36 p.m.

ArykheartX: People are probably trying to counter-pick you based on your icon (if you use one), because T. Hawk is NOT popular. lol Makoto loses to grapplers, horribly.

Also, Rufus isn't popular for the same reason Yun/Yang shouldn't be popular online (Cammy for that reason as well). These characters require strict timing on some combos and SF4 caters to defensive fighting. Rufus is great in the hands of someone who knows him very well, Ryu is great in the hands of someone who never touched SF in their life. Rufus also has trouble against good zoning characters, though U2 is awfully good.

In regards to points online, it's usually not an indication of how good you are. It's more or less an indication of how many "bad" players you've beaten to get there.

I don't have a lot of points and it's not my goal. My goal first and foremost is to learn the game engine, my mains (Zangief/Chun-Li), and the match-ups. Learning is priority, I'll grow as I learn.

Just like a job. You should focus on being good at that job more so than making a ton of money at it, since being good will get you far more opportunities there and in life.

Ryu is always popular, so is Ken (though Ken users seem to be more skillful). As a Zangief player, it's a hated match. But most of the Ryu's I fight are garbage. They like to jump, trip, and fireball. Rinse and repeat, etc, lol.

I tend to fight better players in Endless mode, as others have realized too.

I fight more Vega's then I do Bison or Balrogs...though I like fighting Boxer. :(

Also, one day I will get some matches to you guys. Don't know when, but I'd like to contribute a list to the overall tally some time in the future.

downruplyb said on January 20, 2011 at 2:48 p.m.

@76. "I think a lot of people may try deejay in AE but they wont stick to using him cuz he doesnt play like guile at all."

You're right. With his relatively weak anti-air game he can't afford to sit back and turtle as effectively as Guile can, so you gotta play more rushdown - which is a big part of the charm of why Dee Jay's a lot more fun to play IMO.

Beehol said on January 20, 2011 at 3:14 p.m.

I have 3704 PP with just Guy alone. Goodnight.

MadnessFamilyguile said on January 20, 2011 at 3:29 p.m.

All of dj's bad matchups are only slight disadvantages, guile has severe disadvantages in some matchups which dj lacks. Then there's all the buffs he recieved while other characters such as guile see only nerfs....

yea, not really getting how DJ is harder to play...

ExclusiveOrGate said on January 20, 2011 at 4:41 p.m.

I play Gen and I'm kind of glad he's not used that much, because I hate fighting against him lol.

JanTheMan said on January 20, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.

Usage rankings > Tier rankings

TheMasterPlayer said on January 20, 2011 at 7:38 p.m.

Yea, shotos still rule the popularity contest!

Belmont said on January 20, 2011 at 9:08 p.m.

Yeah, I'm Guy all the way. All about dat Bushinryu.

BajanBlanka said on January 21, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.

@81 deejay and guile are nothing alike except for having fireball and a flashkick type of move. Deejay's normals suck compared to guile's. Their play styles are completely different. It ain't no ryu-ken stuff.

MadnessFamilyguile said on January 22, 2011 at 12:01 p.m.

Never said they were really similar, i said Deejay had it easier because he bnly has slight disadvantages even in this game, plus he's getting straight buffs in the next game and Guile got straight hatred.

Patrick said on February 8, 2011 at 11:23 a.m.

Thanks for posting. I always find these interesting to check out. I'd have to say that the first five on the list are very fun to play and very cool characters.