Marvel vs. Capcom 3 simple mode impressions from RipTen

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 9, 2011 at 10:25 a.m. PST
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 simple mode impressions from RipTen RipTen has a short article detailing some of their experiences with Marvel vs. Capcom 3's Simple Mode control scheme, offering a bit of insight into some of their matches using this configuration. Here's a cut.

Now, while this may sound a bit cheap (and it is) what it allows noobish players to do is concentrate on the flow of the game without having to struggle to learn the moves. Simple mode is extremely effective in teaching you the ins and outs of a fighting game as complex as MvC3 while taking away the learning curve and making it fun for players new to the series. It is an extremely welcome addition.

So, with simple mode underway – I took down Capcom – not one, not two, not three, but FOUR times in a row. Booyah!! Did I mention Wesker was overpowered? Yah, he is. Anyhow – the wins felt good. Even though I was in simple mode and Capcom was in normal mode, we were both still playing hard.

Comments

Bibuki said on January 9, 2011 at 10:29 a.m.

I'm so happy about simple mode. Now I can play with my friends (they're really really ass at fighting games) and they'll be able to do stuff. I really think that with mvc3, I won't even care about AE.

Arrancar said on January 9, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.

Normal, simple, normal, simple what a hard choice. I think this will be a good year for Capcom and its fans.

NightmareGaia99 said on January 9, 2011 at 10:40 a.m.

I'd still prefer normal mode, unless i can do Morrigan's Eternal Slumber, then that will be a different story......................

xShonuffx said on January 9, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.

In before trolls start bashing Simple mode.

I won't use simple mode because im familiar with fighters like this but it should make fighting games easier for the new players and should get more people into playing it. It's a great balance and different from the simple modes of yore where a pro could use it to cheat and noobs use it to be cheesy.

IT's not like crappy SSFIV's easy inputs or Auto adjust that messes people up trying to actually do the moves right.

I hope MvC3 players will encourage their friends who never play fighting games to try MvC3 and tell them about simple mode because it will bring more people in who ar intimidated, especially some of my friends. I can't wait for this game man.

Steele301 said on January 9, 2011 at 11:01 a.m.

Hey this has little to do with the simple/normal mode topic, but I just thought of something that I was hoping someone would be able to clear up. We've all seen phoenix rise after falling in battle and we all know how the health system with dark phoenix works. But what if the player uses level 3 x factor? wouldnt the healing cancel out the continuous health loss? That would effectively erase all the drawbacks of dark phoenix right? of course I havent actually seen this happen I was just wondering...

FroggyMan77 said on January 9, 2011 at 11:12 a.m.

Based on this guy's description, it seems that Simple Mode is a bit more powerful than I thought. Then again, this is also a guy who is saying "this character is overpowered" even though he's only played the game for a few hours at most.

I hope Simple Mode is severely limited in what it can do combo-wise. It's a great addition for new players or people who just want to mash buttons, but if Simple Mode players are beating Normal Mode players on a frequent basis, then there may be a problem. I don't foresee that happening, though.

Can Simple Mode users go into X-Factor?

@Steele301

I noted before on the Phoenix debut trailer thread that Level 3 X-Factor's healing is slightly faster than Dark Phoneix's health drain.

Marill said on January 9, 2011 at 11:14 a.m.

@#5

Its doubtful that would occur since Phoenix needs to be at level 5 Max to transform into Dark Phoenix and then once she does she's back at 0. I don't know if its possible for her to get enough meter as shes depleting health to activate that.

FroggyMan77 said on January 9, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.

@Marill

You don't need meter to use X-Factor. He's talking about X-Factor healing, not the Healing Field super.

tokyobassist said on January 9, 2011 at 11:37 a.m.

Hopefully netplay will offer a filler to disable Simple Mode. If its anything like BlazBlue CS Beginner Mode where you get built-in combos but you're off limits to about 40% of the character's potential combos and moves, I'm cool with that.

RandomJohn said on January 9, 2011 at 11:51 a.m.

To the same people complainig about shotos in SSFIV:

Hey guys, start thinking about what to complain before MvC3 comes out. Oh wait...that's easy. This guy just gave you guys one...Wesker. Carefully gather your thoughts / mindless statements and get ready to post them. In fact, let me start it for you guys. Wesker is overpowered. Simple mode is too cheap. Okay guys you continue...ready set go!

yes4me said on January 9, 2011 at 11:54 a.m.

Hmmm I think I am going to play in basic mode... because I am not used to joystick =)

DestinyZX1 said on January 9, 2011 at 12:13 p.m.

I'm gonna stick with Normal Mode because I want to learn how to play. I've done Simple/Easy mode in the previous Vs. series games but this time, I'm really to tackle the heavy artillery. Can't wait for MvC3.

MrPavy said on January 9, 2011 at 12:23 p.m.

all i know is that this game will be more entertaining than super since its all jabs and grabs

dtbighead0812 said on January 9, 2011 at 12:27 p.m.

so ready for this game

JustJoeKim said on January 9, 2011 at 12:29 p.m.

simple mode is a great feature, because all my friends suck in playing fighting games, and it makes it so much more fun and competitive. usually they give up playing and play something eles. My 10 year old brother beat someone on simple mode in NYCC, and it was funny to see that guy lose to my brother. Damn that was fun. Everyone was so suprised, and everyone cheered. close game actually.

crispylinks77 said on January 9, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.

@ 15

Could your brother actually do real combos with simple mode. Such as how Marn does that long combo with Dante (launch to air, launch to ground, launch back to air, that flame wheel special, into lvl 1 gun super)? Or was it limited to what your brother could do? That's what I would really like to know.

ChuckPlazma said on January 9, 2011 at 1:31 p.m.

simple mode will be banned in my house

terror said on January 9, 2011 at 1:34 p.m.

i wonder if simple mode will be banned from tournaments 0.0

cvs said on January 9, 2011 at 1:37 p.m.

@18 No one would bother using simple mode in a tournament anyways so there's no point in banning it.

Tru1yOdd said on January 9, 2011 at 1:42 p.m.

Simple mode limits your move set. Like dante has 20-30 specials but in simple mode he only gets like 3 or 4. No point in baning it because its pointless in tournaments, none that plays seriously would use simple mode.

IveGotChortles said on January 9, 2011 at 2:50 p.m.

Yes, you're correct. This is exactly what happens.
If you notice during the trailer when she turns X-Factor on, her life stops depleting and actually stays still.
So it cancels the depleting life, but you don't gain life back either.

Ex_Ein said on January 9, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

The fact simple mode only allows you to do one super and only one super (and it's a lvl 1), which were seth's words is a major down side and as Tru1yodd also said it limits moveset

Ex_Ein said on January 9, 2011 at 3:21 p.m.

Steele301
level 3 only last for about 20-30 seconds so unless you plan it perfectly(aka have phoenix be your last character, have full bars before she dies and don't use x-factor until after she dies and have worked MAJORLY on your rush down with her) those 20-30 seconds of level 3 can just be blocked by the enemy as your health stands still(only if you're not hit).

THEN after you not only have to worry about your health delpeting but if the other person still haasn't used their X-factor, how many characters they have remaining and how fragile Dark Phoenix is when hit, and my main team consisiting of heavy hitters Spencer, Hulk and She Hulk which all have very powerful grabs (Hulk's HCB grab did 20% health on JIN in MVC1)

NWAndroid said on January 9, 2011 at 4:18 p.m.

Didn't they mention cutting out some of the hypers during simple mode? A small gripe, but I'd rather not deal with one-button Raging Demon (allegedly).

Raven said on January 9, 2011 at 4:38 p.m.

I'm hyped for MvC3...another fighter to add to my library.

MuffinOfFun said on January 9, 2011 at 8:04 p.m.

Yeah I believe you can only do one type (I'm pretty sure a level 1) of hyper while in simple mode.

roarmonster said on January 9, 2011 at 8:11 p.m.

Eh good players will smash simple mode players no matter what, so I don't really care. No chance in hell I will loose to someone in simple mode after the first two days, unless they are insanely good and just picked simple mode to mind fck me x).

omegax9000 said on January 10, 2011 at 2:35 a.m.

My only problem with ths game thus far is they call it "simple mode". Anyone here ever been called simple? Well its like calling someone a retard or worse. Why couldnt they call it basic mode, simple is so offensive.

JanTheMan said on January 10, 2011 at 3:12 a.m.

Simple Mode = Casual
No big deal of arguing about it.

delirium said on January 10, 2011 at 8:26 a.m.

#28 so take a few minutes to actually learn the game and you won't have to worry about being offended by button-masher mode.