Q&A with DMG's Dr. Chaos about AE Ken, other stuff

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 5, 2011 at 12:56 p.m. PST
Q&A with DMG's Dr. Chaos about AE Ken, other stuff Jason24cf sent over a question and answer session he had with DMG's Dr. Chaos, who's an exceptional Ken player and the winner of the Evo 2010 Stetson cowboy hat.

This covers a myriad of subjects, starting with the changes to Ken in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition before moving through Dr. Chaos' opinion on the tournament scene and his DMG teammates. Hit the jump for everything.

Jason24cf: We all read about the changes being made to Ken from the Capcom development blog. Now that you had the chance to play Ken in Arcade Edition, what are your feelings about him?

Dr. Chaos: Well, Ken feels as he actually has changes in this version of SF4 unlike vanilla to SSF4. He feels more complete although his walk speed is still a bit slow. I am happy the way he turned out in Arcade Edition and can't complain.

Jason24cf: Now I know they gave him more recovery on Light Dragon Punch, and I am happy about that. On XBL that damn Light Dragon Punch baited me all the time that said what new additions he received that you like.

Dr. Chaos: Haha, well of course I like the faster sweep which in turn enables him to combo into it now, Crouching Medium Punch is also more useful now because of its longer hit stun so certain stuff you could only do on counter hit in vanilla/super is possible off regular hits.

Standing Light Punch also has a better range on crouchers now and I believe ken is +4 on block so he can start his offense a bit better, the target combo I haven’t really tried that much, but I heard its better. EX Kara Hurricane Kick not being a full screen overhead anymore is missed, though.

Jason24cf: That was a cheap mix up. *laughs*

Dr. Chaos: Well, in some situations that was Ken’s only answer to problems.

Jason24cf: What match up's do you think these new additions will help with?

Dr. Chaos: I believe they will help in all, but specifically [with the] Shotos. For me, I should say is Shoto's and Guile those are my toughest matches because when trying to space Akuma/Ryu you always have to keep in mind of the random sweep that they can throw out, that will beat the majority of your pokes now at least you have one [as well] of similar speed. Guile, its just hard to get a knockdown on that untechable with jab into sweep it will be easier and you would not have to put yourself in a risky situation with a Hurricane Kick, I guess the latter part goes for every match up.

Jason24cf: How about Akuma, have you tried him out? Anything about him you like in this version?

Dr. Chaos: Not that much. We had Arcade Edition on free play and I messed around with him a bit but in Arcade Edition I will probably stick with Ken and Adon and maybe Yang he (Akuma) seems the same, though. Only difference I could tell was his escape hurricane.

Jason24cf: Do you see yourself using his Ultra 2 now since it got a buff?

Dr. Chaos: I never used it before except for Rufus match ups. I could never do the Standing Hard Punch into Ultra 2 that well.

Jason24cf: You couldn’t do a move well? That is a first! This is breaking news. *laughs*

Dr. Chaos: Haha, that cancel was tough. You have to cancel the Hard Punch into Teleport then do the Ultra motion before the teleport aura even appears.

Jason24cf: Now I asked the same question to your teammate Inthul a while back. DMG has some heavy hitters. Where do you rank yourself against your teammates?

Dr. Chaos: I'm at the bottom *laughs*, I couldn’t perform that well in SSF4. I was better at vanilla, maybe it will change for Arcade Edition.

Jason24cf: NO WAY! You're Dr. [Expletive] Chaos! I have seen videos of you doing [stuff] that left me in shock!

Dr. Chaos: *laughs*, Nah I'm not that bad, but I'm just very inconsistent, I need to work on that.

Jason24cf: Now what characters give you the hardest match ups?

Dr. Chaos: in regular SSF4, Guile, Ryu and sometimes Abel, Fei Long can be hard sometimes, too.

Jason24cf: Since you mentioned characters, is there a player that you just have a hard time beating, for example PR Balrog said that, "Arturo Sanchez is the counter to my play style," do you have this same issue with a player?

Dr. Chaos: If I would have to choose, probably Sanford Kelly, he always seem to eliminate me in major tournaments.

Jason24cf: So say if you met Sanford in a major and beat him but lose in the finals would you be happy because you beat Sanford or would you be upset that you lost the Major. In sports they call it a moral victory I call it BS, I play to win *laughs*.

Dr. Chaos: Haha, I would be upset [that] I lost the major unless it was me and some god-like person in the finals.

Jason24cf: Do you feel added pressure on yourself being called "Best Ken in the USA"?

Dr. Chaos: Not really, I just try to do my best at tournaments there’s some other good kens out in the U.S., I was just the most consistent that day.

Jason24cf: Are you looking forward to defending the cowboy hat at this year's EVO?

Dr. Chaos: Haha, I have to put it on the line?

Jason24cf: Who knows what they have planned at EVO 2011 but I'm sure a Ken player will be aiming for it.

Dr. Chaos: I might wear it for this EVO.

Jason24cf: With MvC3 soon to be released will you jump ship to MvC3 or are you sticking with Super?

Dr. Chaos: Ahh MvC3, well I’ll play it of course. MvC1 was the first fighting game I learned to play competitively so if it plays similar to that hopefully I can pick it up fast I’ll always play Super its fun to play and I put a good amount of time into it, no point of quitting now.

Jason24cf: Main event at EVO is MvC3 or SSF4?

Dr. Chaos: For me or EVO in general? I guess whoever has the most entrants. I know a lot of people are waiting on MvC3.

Jason24cf: What a political answer, Dr, Chaos are you going to enter politics when you're done with fighting games?

Dr. Chaos: Haha, no one knows where a doctor goes but probably not, but I’ll probably always help out the scene once I'm done playing. I don’t think I’ll stop its hard. *laughs*

Jason24cf: Team battles, do you want your team to be #1 and if so who would be DMG's three players you would want to represent in team battles?

Dr. Chaos: Team battles for majors or online?

Jason24cf: Everything.

Dr. Chaos: As of NECXI I would say Inthul, PR rog and hmm... either Rob or Lud. I never played Rob before and he beat me with his Sagat with solid play (video link) Lud's just pretty technical with Chun-Li. I like watching him play. He always knows some type of punish or cheap stuff to exploit to escape a situation. If Rico made top 8 I would have been on the team I haven’t seen Insyanne play that much but he made top 32 so he could be a potential team member, too.

There are too many players for just a three man team *laughs*.

Jason24cf: So your saying then DMG is the best team out there?

Dr. Chaos: Hmm... they're probably one of the best. There’s a lot of strong teams out there but if we all played each other I'm pretty sure DMG would rank high. It’s hard to say who’s the best, though.

Jason24cf: That’s what makes the fighting game community so great I take? There being so many players and strong teams.

Dr. Chaos: Yes, and even one person beats another the next day the reverse could happen, so its always a back and forth thing going on.

Jason24cf: Final question, what are your goals this year in the fighting game community? What would you consider a failure for Dr. Chaos for the year 2011?

Dr. Chaos: My goal would to just be consistent and always play my game, failure would be not getting top 3 in a major in 2011.

Jason24cf: My goal for 2011 would be to beat you in a first to 10 with Ken who isn’t my main and take that cowboy hat *laughs*.

Dr. Chaos: Haha, I am not a fan of Ken vs. Ken match up, so it’s possible.

Jason24cf: Dr. Chaos thank you again for your time and do you have any final words?

Dr. Chaos: Shout outs to DMG, Jaeel @ Focus Attack, bifuteki.com, lizard lick, Mad Catz and all my homies in Philadelphia.

Comments

Mr_Clack said on January 5, 2011 at 12:59 p.m.

Ken got SOOOO Buffed! I bet Chaos is so HAPPY!
Lucky him!

Juicebox must be livid especially after that funny cartoon a few days ago!

Mr_Clack said on January 5, 2011 at 1:04 p.m.

Good Job Ono. All of the MAIN shotos are NICE AND POWERFUL! As it was written. Congrads....

mp91 said on January 5, 2011 at 1:06 p.m.

i love how capcom balance their shotos.....sarcasm

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on January 5, 2011 at 1:14 p.m.

I'm glad Ken is up there with Ryu and Akuma. Ken deserves his buffs.

MadnessFamilyguile said on January 5, 2011 at 1:20 p.m.

They did balance shotos, this time yun and yang will be overplayed too

Phoenixrising77 said on January 5, 2011 at 1:21 p.m.

I agree......As if Ken's light dragon punch didn't have a fast recovery time as is. There are countless times I have tried to grab him for a throw after baiting the Dragon Punch only for him to recover in time to pull off another one! WTF?! REALLY?! That to me is a little cheap. That and the fact that Shoto's can cancel out of Dragon Punches just so that they can continue the punishment? That is just cheap in my opinion. There have been numerous times where I have been cornered only to be whittled away with mix ups with fireballs/ Dragon Punches/ EX dragon punch (still whittles away life) then the punishment ensues. AS I main with Juri, what else can she do? She has little defensive options as most of her taunts can easily be broken out.

I guess, thats why I like Soul Calibur 4 better than SSF4. There is NO LOW TIER character in SC4. Everyone is much better balanced in that game. Cant wait till Soul Calibur 5 comes out !!!!

I can only imagine the backlash I will get for stating my own opinion.............

Mr_Clack said on January 5, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.

@ 4 you're right it didnt seem right especially after SF3 where Ken was GOD!

Cammystrike said on January 5, 2011 at 1:24 p.m.

Good interview, Chaos is modest by I know he's feeling those buffs Ken got.

KanyeWest said on January 5, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.

I don't see why Ryu got hit with a nerf stick, he was fine.

I don't even play Ryu so I guess I can't say for sure haha.

KanyeWest said on January 5, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.

But I guess we all complain about the most used character since Sagat disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Fireken said on January 5, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

Ken is and always will be my main, no matter they buff or nerf him

Mr_Clack said on January 5, 2011 at 1:34 p.m.

@ p
Well Tekken and Soul Calibur are balanced well because the developers make sure everyone has a fighting chance.

In most Capcom fighters...One of Capcom's secret rule they kind of admitted to (Seth Killian) was. They like games that are not balanced. Because it keeps people complaining (aka aware)
Also they have a goal for who is the strongest overall (Shotos) off the bat and weakest (Dan&Hakan) They know Hakan's weakness and do NOTHING about it.
The nerf El Fuerte to $#!+ taking away many moves and say nothing about it. Yet some TROLL has an issue with ONE cammy move and they respond immediately?

RandomJohn said on January 5, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.

I see that the crying (about shotos) continues on this discussion. Get over it or go play another figter and complain about it.

cvs said on January 5, 2011 at 2:01 p.m.

@12 Lol i don't think soul calibur is too balanced,hilde with her infinite that leads to ring outs,and algol with his bubbles of doom.

Paine said on January 5, 2011 at 2:28 p.m.

Wow, more shoto complaining. Surprising no?

The interview was GREAT, and Dr. Chaos seems like a pretty chill person in person. Definitely one of the more humble players in the scene who is good.

MadnessFamilyguile said on January 5, 2011 at 2:37 p.m.

Sorry that your bison nerfs didnt go through john.

NobleEskimo said on January 5, 2011 at 2:45 p.m.

Grammar is overrated anyways.

BlankaBeast said on January 5, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.

16 half the people that main half the characters are half stupid too so it doesnt really matter.

AcidGlow said on January 5, 2011 at 5:12 p.m.

I wanna see Evil ryu and Oni Akuma already, god damnit! =p

cvs said on January 5, 2011 at 5:36 p.m.

@20 You will if you buy the nintendo 3ds version of ssf4

xShonuffx said on January 5, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

People keep saying Oni Akuma but it might be someone completly different, some other enity.

Shep131 said on January 5, 2011 at 7:13 p.m.

@12 Hakan isn't a weak character by any means. Just because he's an intermediate character and probably too hard for you to use (and me)then ofcourse you'll think he's weak. Just pointing that out ;)

dtbighead0812 said on January 5, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.

@Phoenixrising77

in response to your first sentence, i think they were saying they increased the recovery on it so he cant do that anymore. you should now be able to safely throw him afterwards with no fear of getting dp'd again :)

Kenshiro said on January 5, 2011 at 7:21 p.m.

Unlikely, Ono specifically trolls us by adding more shotos with very little changes to moveset but hey as long as they are all buff and virile.

jason24cf said on January 5, 2011 at 7:39 p.m.

I hope you all in joyed the interview. I had a few laughs with Brandon as we had this interview. He enjoyed the "hat" challenge

Phoenixrising77 said on January 5, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.

@ 24 thanks for clearing that up. I hope that they have fixed it.

Zarathos said on January 6, 2011 at 3:16 a.m.

Soul Calibur is balanced and there are no tiers gaps ? OMG

Terrornaut said on January 6, 2011 at 7:34 a.m.

Lol, Soul Calibur is balanced.

Nightmare and Siegfried having as fast pokes as the fast characters and 3x the range and...I'm not even going to get started on that.

But damnit, of all characters, Ken's getting buffed. The one who's already counter to my playstyle. Ah well, I can deal haha

MALDA said on January 6, 2011 at 7:58 a.m.

Psycho said on January 6, 2011 at 9:38 a.m.

the only game that's balanced out of SF is Tekken 6.

NanayaShiki said on January 6, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.

If you ask most good players in Namco fighters, they'll tell you that both Soul Calibur and Tekken are very balanced, outside of Hilde in SC4, but I think she's banned now for competitive play. But, the reason is that in 3D fighters, characters generally have a lot more moves that are universally punishable by the cast, as opposed to something like SSF4, where there are some characters that certain characters really can't do too much about, or have an excruciatingly hard time doing so.

Phoenixrising77 said on January 6, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.

Well, I don't know what to say about the people who do not think that SC is balanced. I play Taki of all people and yes, I have a hard time with characters with long range weapons such as Nightmare, Siegfried, & Kilik..... But I can manage to beat them and usually do.

My arguement is that if SF was such a "well-balanced" game as some will say...... Then why do we not see a mix of low/ high tier characters? Why is it that most of the time, people are playing higher - mid tier characters? Thats not balanced. ESPECIALLY if Capcom has to go and buff/ nerf other characters. That is a contradiction to "balanced". With Soul Calibur there is not one character that is overly used or played more so than the rest of the cast. The cast of SC equally get played. I love SF, don't get me wrong. But, I personally believe SC is a better balanced game. Cant wait till SC 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenixrising77 said on January 6, 2011 at 2:38 p.m.

@ - 32

You are exactly right. I couldnt have said it better myself.

Put_Elena_in_SF said on January 6, 2011 at 6:21 p.m.

Nice (and humble) commentary by Dr.Chaos. Always like seeing his Ken.