Chinatown Fair closed, moving to location in Williamsburg

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 28, 2011 at 5:02 p.m. PST
Boweryboogie.com is reporting that Chinatown Fair has closed down and will be moving to a new location in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York. They also took video of the machines being moved out.

NYCTheBlog documented the closing of the arcade, with photos and text and TheNewYorkBlues took some photos showing some of the faces of Chinatown Fair.

Comments

Sharpie84 said on February 28, 2011 at 5:10 p.m.

Well that's an f'ing depressing video... thanks a lot

SSJ3X said on February 28, 2011 at 5:12 p.m.

What an unfortunate end. I know the feeling when an arcade closes down that you've gone to for many years. This is no different than when Diversions in Chicago closed.

Luckily they're being moved to another location, so the arcade will still live on...

ShadowKnight28 said on February 28, 2011 at 5:16 p.m.

God this is saddening.

Jerry said on February 28, 2011 at 5:24 p.m.

It's not that sad. It's just being moved. The games and stuff will still be around. Just in a new location.

DestinyZX1 said on February 28, 2011 at 5:50 p.m.

It may be depressing but I know there is hope as it will live on.

HukGuay said on February 28, 2011 at 5:57 p.m.

new location isnt great for everyone. RIP chinatown.

MonkeyCha0s said on February 28, 2011 at 6:38 p.m.

it actually still is very sad. that place had a lot of history and now its not gunna be the same. theres also a probability that things will be much different in the new location. but i see what you mean its not like its completely closed down

BlazinBlizzard said on February 28, 2011 at 6:41 p.m.

=/

Helgen said on February 28, 2011 at 6:51 p.m.

I just want to say thank you eventhubs for posting the link to my page (The New York Blues,) and thank everyone who made it out to CF to celebrate it's closing, and CF will forever be missed in it's original spot.

Your old friend, Anthony AKA Helgen X.

cvs said on February 28, 2011 at 6:53 p.m.

Im guessing most of you people thats sad or depressed about this live in new york and go to that place ragularly?

Sektah84 said on February 28, 2011 at 7:01 p.m.

Sad to see the last arcade in manhattan close(even though it always smelled funky in there). I hope the new spot is bigger though.

OgamiRei said on February 28, 2011 at 7:15 p.m.

Although I don't live in New York, it is pretty sad seeing this video because of the history that arcade made.....
Wonder if Arcade Infinity met the same fate already...

AxeYrCat said on February 28, 2011 at 7:15 p.m.

@ #4

Chinatown Fair has been where it is since the 50s. That's a LOT of history.

I live in Brooklyn, so the new location isn't at all inconvenient for me, but there was something about going Manhattan to play games that made it feel that much more fun.

tsgrimey said on February 28, 2011 at 7:15 p.m.

Since it no longer going to be in Chinatown, what is it going to be called next? Williamsburg Fair? and where is the new location?

Williamsburg is closer to me!

rarefuture said on February 28, 2011 at 7:22 p.m.

Oh what the hell. The J train was a straight shot and somewhat bearable journey. How the hell do i get to williamsburg?

kuritorisu said on February 28, 2011 at 7:29 p.m.

isn't Williamsburg Brooklyn knowns for its crime and other Social issues?

HighOnPCP said on February 28, 2011 at 8:13 p.m.

i wanna feel sorry for you guys but damn i don't have one freakin arcade here in germany....THAT is sad....i'll move to california or something for real haha

Sektah84 said on February 28, 2011 at 8:52 p.m.

Willamsburg is right over the bridge where the old one was lol it's about 2 stops from canal. And no it's not a bad area it's actually the area all the hipsters and artsy people have moved too in NYC.

umad said on February 28, 2011 at 9:22 p.m.

i bet all the people that was 'sad' when they thought that it was closing down instead of a relocating won't go even if they lived in NY.

Fiscal said on February 28, 2011 at 9:34 p.m.

"...it's not a bad area it's actually the area all the hipsters and artsy people have moved too in NYC."

Sounds pretty awful to me.

MetroidG said on February 28, 2011 at 10:08 p.m.

@Sektah84
Where do you think that most of the crime revolves around, I know because I hang with people like that on occasion. You'll be lucky if all the arcade machines aren't spray painted the day after it opens.

RandomJohn said on March 1, 2011 at 12:07 a.m.

I always thought this historic arcade was big and had a lot of games (from fighting to kiddy games). When I saw this video, I was like wow it looks like my old high school hallway with arcade machines against the wall. My point is it's small, not b/c it looked crappy or anything.

kuritorisu said on March 1, 2011 at 2:12 a.m.

@RandomJohn
its does not seems small to me man. if you go deeper inside, there are more room i believe.

Helgen said on March 1, 2011 at 5:38 a.m.

Let me clarify some things to some of you, because a lot of you obviously do not know about the history of the arcade, and about New York in general.

First off, as number 13 said, Chinatown Fair has been around since (maybe a little more than the 50's,) then again, my parents used to go there when they were kids, but they are in their 50's themselves so I am not sure how long it's been open exactly. CF was more of a place for gathering than just the games, that's what was the magic of the place. Everyone was like a family, and even if they didn't like each other, it was more like sibling rivalry. If you're wondering how someone almost in their 30's like myself can rant so much about the place, well... It's because I owe it to that place for meeting the type of people I can call friends now, for sharpening up my video game skills, and for sociality in general, because I somewhat had no friends before till I started going there.

About Brooklyn and Williamsburg, Williamsburg is one of the most prime locations in Brooklyn. It once was a bad neighborhood in the early 90's and below, but now it cost almost more than Manhattan to live in, and has one of the most advanced developmental projects/level of gentrification probably in the entire Brooklyn.

If anything, the new location should be more safe than even Chinatown if anyone knows that just down two blocks from CF is one of the worst projects in lower Manhattan (Smith Projects,) where some of the gang members would go to Chinatown fair to mock the players and arcade goers into fights and violence for no reason. (This was a long time ago, though and happened very little.)

If you got any questions, post them up, but please don't make fake accusations if you've only visited here or never even been here, thank you.

Uzumakihero_Shinitobi said on March 1, 2011 at 2:02 p.m.

I am sad that I will never get to play at "Chinatown fair" at it's original spot; where the magic happen. I should have went when I got the chance to. Well, love live Chinatown fair.

noob_blasta said on March 2, 2011 at 10 a.m.

I live in the UK and on a holiday to NY not too long after SF4 got released I spent a few hours there. I thought it was a really cool place, some good players and a generally good vibe about the place.

Although the closing won't effect me it is sad to see it go. Where I live in Birmingham, England theres been nothing for years and it's no good like that, so its a shame for New Yorkers that this place is moving.

Get behind the Williamsburg place, put in as many credits as you can, and try and keep what's left of the little arcade scene alive because it sucks when there's none at all.