Ono claims Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition unbalanced, DLC news

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 24, 2011 at 8:43 a.m. PST
Ono claims Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition unbalanced, DLC news Yoshinori Ono, who has in the past professed to trolling, made a few interesting statements concerning Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition.

AndriaSang has the the info, translated from Famitsu.

The home version of Super SFIV was made with extremely good balance, explained Ono. The balance was done in such a way that there's no one overly powerful character.

Arcade Edition, on the other hand, has some characters who were purposely made strong. The reason this was done is because Ono feels that having such a character helps to build community and competitive spirit.

Unfortunately, Ono did not comment on what everyone really wants: home releases for Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu and Oni, all additional characters for the arcade version. It's widely expected that these characters will be offered as download content for home players.

Several outlets are reporting that Ono said there are no plans for SSF4 Arcade Edition DLC on the consoles, claiming it won't happen now, even though past statements have said otherwise. To further clarify, or perhaps muddy up the matter, Ono tweeted this message.

Is it true [there's] no Arcade Edition edition on console? — VicRattlehead0

Ono: Over my dead body!! It all right! ;D

Tips from Gamedynamite99, zIIGhostIIz, Jason24cf, Wonsang, Djsirloin, NYcityisme, Ziodyne, Darkhadou, Daniel, R4HU1, Ady187, AeonClock and many anonymous readers.

Comments

CrimsonRelic said on February 24, 2011 at 8:47 a.m.

Whatever.

PSNmignon15 said on February 24, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.

As I said just before in another news article:
I call bullsht on this one. Why would they add Oni Akuma and Evil Ryu into the game and then disable them from being played, if the Arcade Edition is supposed to be unbalanced and not played on consoles?
It would only make sense that they're waiting with Oni & E.Ryu so that it'll be even more hyped for consoles.

Not to mention that Oni has already said that part of his job is to troll.

eatm said on February 24, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.

AE will be a new disc, SSF4 Turbo

CpE_Wahoo said on February 24, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.

Ono just likes trolling. It's coming, it better come, otherwise the community will be pissed.

drebs said on February 24, 2011 at 8:49 a.m.

of course it will come to consoles, capcom aren't about to pass up an easy money making opportunity.

if ono is gonna troll he needs some lessons on how to do it properly :P

JrockEclipse said on February 24, 2011 at 8:52 a.m.

I wouldn't mind buying SSF4 Turbo as long as it has more characters than the 4 mentioned and ALOT more stages! New features etc...

people may say why buy another game and not DLC?
I ask why people buy NFL games every year?

Rvo2099 said on February 24, 2011 at 8:52 a.m.

After that one, Ono leveled up "Trolling" skill...

MALDA said on February 24, 2011 at 8:54 a.m.

Nago said on February 24, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.

Yeah, people saying "pick ____ if you actually want any chance at winning" make it sound like pure fun. People getting singled out for their character is a great way to build the community.

BlankaBeast said on February 24, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.

#4, 5 Welcome to the PC mindset. AE is currently running on a PC and we dont even have Super yet...

Phoenixrising77 said on February 24, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

*Yawwwwwn*..... Wake me up when Mortal Kombat comes out.

gtfopanda said on February 24, 2011 at 9:17 a.m.

Nobody cares about what Ono says.

Weaponx said on February 24, 2011 at 9:19 a.m.

Capcom is waiting for the Marvel vs Capcom 3 to leave the spot light, then they will release more info on AE and start bringing out info on 3rd Strike online, etc...

Cloud32145 said on February 24, 2011 at 9:20 a.m.

If Ono actually successfully trolls anyone I'll be surprised. AE will come to consoles.

Now, on the other hand AE IS less balanced then Chocolate SSFIV. Which is a shame because I loved SSFIV. I hope to see some balance changes made to the console versions. Ono says overpowered characters build community and competitiveness I say that's BS. Why? Because then everybody is playing the same damn characters and the matches play out like you think they will. Yeah okay there were a lot of Ryu's and Ken's in SSFIV but there will always be a lot of Ryu and Ken, I liked being able to see a variety at tournaments.

Combo_Knight said on February 24, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

I know it sounds rediculous, but
I'd like it if, The focale Point for sales alternated every game.

Like if one game was made with Casuals in mind, the next game would be for the hardcore.

I'd like for steetfighter to take skill again

Hakansoilbarrel said on February 24, 2011 at 9:32 a.m.

("some characters who were purposely made strong." WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? Is there even a point in picking up AE and trying Hakan anymore?

...Don't betray me MVC3!)

SethGravijah said on February 24, 2011 at 9:38 a.m.

There are more trolls in Ono's mouth than in the whole modern fantasy writings.

It's just a way to help the 20$ AE DLC part that will pop up as soon as MVC3 will be out of the spotlight.

And btw, having a more unbalanced (oops sorry ! a more competitive *my ass* for the community *bullshhit*) SSFIV on my console doesn't interest me a lot, weirdly... :-x

MilnerWins said on February 24, 2011 at 9:38 a.m.

Why would they release it as DLC. people who own the console versions still go and pay money to play AE. It would be stupid to release it as a DLC. They havent even officially release E.Ryu and Oni yet, they must be waiting for the storm to carm so they can start it up again.

Really dont see it ever happening. at least not for another year

Rekkaken2468 said on February 24, 2011 at 9:39 a.m.

"over my dead body" LMAO

i agree with 14. we dont want anymore vanilla sagats for sure. at this rate, yun and yang are the characters we'll mostly be seeing in tournaments.

Johnry said on February 24, 2011 at 9:43 a.m.

I've come to think that maybe Ono isn't really a troll... but just that his English is fuqking sh1t and he doesn't really understand what he's saying

powderedtoastman said on February 24, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

either way you spin it, it is still a bad move for the damage it has already done. It already messing with the tournament scene and what not by having 2 version of the game in circulation. And seeing how international play is more common, this road block is gonna mess with the quality of the players.

And by the Japanese having AE edition a good 7months to a year in advance to everyone else is just gonna widen the gap when the rest of the world finally gets it officially. The top players in USA and Japan was nearly breaking even on skill with SSf4 after a long time and once again they gonna have a distinct advantage.

H3r01990 said on February 24, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.

"Is it true [there's] no Arcade Edition edition on console? — VicRattlehead0

Ono: Over my dead body!! It all right! ;D"
If there is no AE indeed, then Ono kill himself. Can't take his word back now.

TheShotokan said on February 24, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.

ImmortalBison said on February 24, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.

LOL. Thanks for somehow making me less interested in AE. Making the roster unbalanced on purpose? I've never heard such stupidity. So the new saying is if it aint broke, break it? Have fun with your three characters sheep. 0

BlankaBeast said on February 24, 2011 at 9:50 a.m.

I guess they think complaining makes us all closer, well, no......
PLAYING a more BALANCED GAME where you can play many characters for fun makes for a better community!!

Ett said on February 24, 2011 at 9:51 a.m.

I don't think we will get SSF4 AE balance. But SSF4 will get a different balance update base on AE with a less powerfull Yun and Yang.

Cloud32145 said on February 24, 2011 at 9:58 a.m.

@#26
to be honest I hope they don't nerf Yun and Yang if they do release AE. I've noticed in games that things pan out better if you just buff the crap out of everyone and do a little nerfs as possible. I'd rather them buff everyone to Yun and Yang's level then nerfing them to the rest of the cast. It'll also IMO cause less complaints among the community.

BlankaBeast said on February 24, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.

I agree, buffs are WAY better

Boogityboy said on February 24, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.

MetroidG said on February 24, 2011 at 10:37 a.m.

@ #8
That's nice I guess your waiting for MK9 as well right. Don't know why people can't play more than one fighter its not like the majority of you win tourneys anyway. I play mvc2 and 3,tvc,tekken,ssf4 and sf3 so their is no excuse to not still play others games along with sf4.

JasonLee said on February 24, 2011 at 10:38 a.m.

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on February 24, 2011 at 10:43 a.m.

guys it has to come to consoles. half the people who play SSF4 have never been to arcades (including me). they're just gonna milk the crap out of people and then when they've had enough pocket change they'll give it to us (no homo). patience is a virtue, remember that guys...

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on February 24, 2011 at 11:04 a.m.

Yun IS overpowered, so I guess Ono's attempt at justification was just thrown in there to meet his troll quota for the day.
But I have my doubts as to whether or not CAPCOM will make any changes for the DLC version. For starters, what would they do with the arcade cabinets? Not to mention all the the rebalancing they'd have to do to those poor charge characters

So yeah, anyone else excited for Yun vs Yun online matches?

NobleEskimo said on February 24, 2011 at 11:16 a.m.

SSF4 will be a disc-based retail affair.

Yun / Yang were made powerful to promote sales of said disc-based retail affair. No one wants underpowered characters only.

Believe it.

Blanks said on February 24, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

When the producer of the game wants unbalanced characters, we're all screwed:(

Gojiguy said on February 24, 2011 at 11:18 a.m.

so... SFIV is balanced... and AE isn't.

Why "upgrade" to an unbalanced game.

this is dumb.

SAMURAI said on February 24, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

If that's the case, I don't even want that stupid AE on my console. I want a balanced game and not a frustrating piece of crap. F**k you Ono & Capcom.

JanTheMan said on February 24, 2011 at 11:28 a.m.

SSFIV is 80% balanced...

AE is like 70% balanced...

If AE comes out to home consoles... I might drop El Fuerte...

HawkinsT said on February 24, 2011 at 11:37 a.m.

#36 = truth

If Capcom now make games uncompetitive on purpose, why should I continue turning to them for my fighting games?

If you invest enough time in to anything competitive you want to be able to feel your skill is important, not largely down to fundamental choices that ultimately just limit the game and make it less interesting (such as forced character choices to stay competitive).

Grimmjow316 said on February 24, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.

@21 this that's a down right sad mentality Ono has if anything it has made more people just jump the yun bandwagon I would say like 3s but I wasn't into sf at that time if anyone can come in and put input on it I would gladly appreciate it. Also powered I saw matches against momochi's makoto against three Gief users yeah those matches made me :(

gtfopanda said on February 24, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.

Vanilla SF4 was more interesting than all of its pseudo-updates.

ImmortalBison said on February 24, 2011 at 11:47 a.m.

@38 Where are you getting these percentages? I'm hoping this isn't a mandatory update. I like my SSFIV exactly like it is. Not a fan of shotos or Yun and Yang anyways.

PropLeXed said on February 24, 2011 at 11:49 a.m.

Ono is a bottom tier troll.

Shareware said on February 24, 2011 at 11:54 a.m.

If this is a on disc retail release, I won't be buying it. Even if it were 10 dollars I wouldn't buy it. And I love Yun and Yang. I DON'T love Capcom jerking us around, making the game unbalanced, and making me have to go out and buy yet another on disc release.

If it's true, and this game is so horribly, terrifyingly, "boss Magaki" broken, then I'll not be switching for two extra characters. I won't even get this as DLC if that's the case, and no, I'm not just talking out of my ass here, I HAVE MVC3 and SSF4, I don't NEED to buy another SF4 variant.

If I pass on this, it'll be no skin off my back. Hell, they've already GOT guaranteed money from me with SF3 Online and SFxT. When I think of "the next fighting game I'm waiting for", I SURE as hell don't think "SSF4 AE".

Certainly not anymore.

Hitstick said on February 24, 2011 at 11:55 a.m.

SSF4 AE will be brought to you by CD for home console, Ono just confirmed it with a blatant statement.

Grimmjow316 said on February 24, 2011 at 11:56 a.m.

This sums it up right here
by hcallahan from SRK
"It's not the characters that build community and spirit. It's the players using them. People don't dream about beating Vanilla Sagat, or demolishing Yun and Yang in AE. They dream about owning Daigo in the EVO finals.

No wonder the quality of fighting games has been going worse. We've got people who know nothing about what makes them great develop them."

logic_boi said on February 24, 2011 at 12:01 p.m.

I like Ono, but most of the time he's just a mouthpiece for what Capcom wants him to say. I call total BS on them wanting to unbalance SSFIV AE and they just fcked up. Why would you spend all that time and resources to balance out the game, then all of a sudden break it? Who knows, maybe this is their lame attempt to make Yun/Yang the new face of the franchise. What better way to push them on us then to make them OP and most used/popular?

powderedtoastman said on February 24, 2011 at 12:03 p.m.

@#40
Only big problem with 3s Yun was him being able to use genei jin way too often for how good it turned out, but without it he seems to be average imo. This ssf4AE yun seems to be very effective with or without genei jin which makes it seem to be an intentional move.

Also im not sure which matches you seen with Makoto beating on Gief, but im sure it was about the stuff i was talking about a month or so ago about that match up. A damned nightmare. Got any links?

cvs said on February 24, 2011 at 12:03 p.m.

@10 lol AE running on a PC?

@34 Naruto reference. :o

Aninja11 said on February 24, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.

I haven't brought SF4 or SSF4, so if they do release SSF4:AE, I would probably buy it.

And we all knew this was coming, so why the Hell everyone acting all surprised is beyond me.

Remember how many Versions of SF2 they released?

cvs said on February 24, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.

Seems like capcom thinks people like broken games after the whole mvc2/mvc3 thing.

cvs said on February 24, 2011 at 12:06 p.m.

@50 8 different versions of sf2 to be exact. :O

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on February 24, 2011 at 12:06 p.m.

@51: They see the community DEFENDING those broken games, so it's an understandable mistake to make.

Mikeydactyl said on February 24, 2011 at 12:13 p.m.

Exactlyyyyyyyyyy......

Moosh said on February 24, 2011 at 12:14 p.m.

Broken games become popular by being good despite their brokenness (<- holy crap that's actually a word). They aren't popular -because- they are broken.

Balance the game, Capcom. Characters made overpowered on purpose is just stupid.

Cauptain said on February 24, 2011 at 12:18 p.m.

At past, another CRAPCOM PRODUCER Says:

"I'll rip my own head" about RE4 in other consoles...RIP

In Present, another CRAPCOM PRODUCER Says:

"Over my dead body!! It all right!" the same history...

Best news from CRAPCOM, NO stupid unbalanced version AE for SSFIV.

Mikeydactyl said on February 24, 2011 at 12:20 p.m.

Who the F*CK was like "oh id love street fighter SO much more if they made 2 characters overpowered as s*it, I love being able to choose from 5 tournament viable characters, its so fun when the other 3X characters are completely unusable."?

Someone please find me this, who the heck are they getting thief information from?

Darkyellow said on February 24, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.

I sometimes wonder how much say Ono actually has in the development processes for the SF4 series. If he calls a lot of shots I really think he has done so far a terrible job. Then again, I didn't really expect much from someone who worked on Capcom Fighting Jam. Also to the people complaining about Capcom nickle and diming their customers. This has been their business model FOREVER even way before there was downloadable content. The vast majority of us consumers haven't changed our preferences and continue to buy their multiple reversions. Capcom won't either

Hitstick said on February 24, 2011 at 12:27 p.m.

So, why is everyone whining about this? Please don't act like Capcom hasn't done this before with characters. Capcom PURPOSELY did it, which means up your game even more. To take the so called OP characters out. That's what Ono means by improving fighting spirit.

Grimmjow316 said on February 24, 2011 at 12:30 p.m.
Shareware said on February 24, 2011 at 12:32 p.m.

People aren't surprised it's happening (as soon as Vanilla hit the shelves, people predicted this would happen), I guess we're more surprised they broke the game's balance ON PURPOSE.

Besides, if this were the SNES age, I'd agree with you. Back then if there was an update, they had to make it a whole new game. THESE days, there's such a thing as DLC, so it would be stupid (see: Typical) of Ono to decide it should be an on disc release.

SSF4 was justified, seeing how it had 10 new characters and a bunch of new stages, but AE is not.

Grimmjow316 said on February 24, 2011 at 12:33 p.m.

@59 read what I put #46 Also it's a big step backwards if you go from balance and variety to unbalance and just five or six characters.

Otter_of_Death said on February 24, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.

Has it even been confirmed that the balancing patch is going to be included with AE? Could it be they're just going to package the characters without the gameplay changes?

shakaka said on February 24, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.

Stupid Ono.

Going to sell my ssfiv because of this.An unbalaced game is a boring one. I play as rose and gouken, and surprisinly nowadays i see a great variety of characters being used. Other day i fought 4 vegas in a row, that was fun.

But now with the overpowered twins, characters i dislike anyway, there is no point in continuing with the game.

Rekkaken2468 said on February 24, 2011 at 12:45 p.m.

@41, i assume u were a sagat player in vanilla

DomDaDude said on February 24, 2011 at 12:59 p.m.
Nep said on February 24, 2011 at 1:04 p.m.

I forgot people even still played this game.

powderedtoastman said on February 24, 2011 at 1:18 p.m.

@#60
Yep cant really jump in on makoto and have to resort to using s. mp all day >_< and that ex karakusa eating the grab after she dashes in for her ultra set up. If them patient gief players was having problems, im sure as hell aint gonna have much luck lol. And after all that momochi didnt even need to use U2 for anything.

Eh dont matter to me much anymore after horrifying experiences with AE a month or so ago i stopped playing the game altogether. Gief exGH nerf made trying to get any continuous momentum going null. Which makes games long,dragged out, boring whether you win in the end or not.
Hakan changes only really shine when you have momentum on your side..oil stacking doesnt mean much when your forced to block alot preventing you from stacking it anyways. Thawk is still thawk U2 doesnt really catch safe jumpers as people assume it would due to start up, but unlike a srk it doesnt hit grounded opponents which would hit there landed recovery frames i believe.

Belmont said on February 24, 2011 at 1:23 p.m.

Not even concerned about his comments, it'll come we all know it.

RandomJohn said on February 24, 2011 at 1:28 p.m.

Again, it's all about the marketing strategies for this game. Ono said some characters are OP "to build community and competitive spirit." Another words, Ono and company want people to play and continue to play the new characters even after its release. Oh course, I was only referring to the twins. E Ryu and Oni were originally planned to releasae at a later date to bring people back to SSFIV after MvC3 came out. Capcom has been around for a good while. The'y re not stupid enough to release EVERYTHING all at once so people can be tired of playing these new characters for three or four months and ditch the game when MvC3 comes out. Pro players won't but regular players who aren't pros will easily jump onto another ship (game) and ride that for a good while.

jdigitalseven said on February 24, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.

This is more than likely leading to SSFIV Turbo.....too bad Capcom is overly money hungry. Charging for alternate costumes is a Complete rip off ($5 for all is still a rip off let alone $5 per "pack"). And another game is ridiculously fast...they are basically Madden and COD now.

KenScrub said on February 24, 2011 at 2:21 p.m.

mvc3 bitch! don't care.

Hitstick said on February 24, 2011 at 2:53 p.m.

#72 got it right.

SF series is always unbalanced [ie characters are gonna be more developed than others] and you as the community are contradicting yourselves in believing it is NOT otherwise you wouldn't have a tier list..lol...Can't have it both ways community.

IMainDanHibiki said on February 24, 2011 at 3:02 p.m.

...You guys aren't seeing the big picture.
ONO = TROLL.
HES FULL OF BS. STOP SAYING SH** LIKE
Durr, only 6 characters boo
Derp, Twins are OP derp
You think EVERYONE is going to drop EVERYTHING for a couple of idiot twins? Even if they do, They'll go back to their mains.
Get some brains.

Bajas said on February 24, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

Because everyone loved the Sagat mirrors that occured every 3rd match in any big event right?

KizaruOfLight said on February 24, 2011 at 3:34 p.m.

Tldr; TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOO HOHO HOHO HOOOOOO

EDGEucator said on February 24, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.

Ultra Street Fighter 4.

Hyper Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Get hype. :b

kryptonkandor said on February 24, 2011 at 3:41 p.m.

So Ono died? :(

MALDA said on February 24, 2011 at 5:31 p.m.

dondb said on February 24, 2011 at 5:56 p.m.

...more like Yawn and Yang.

irrenmann said on February 24, 2011 at 7:34 p.m.

This is not a sign that consoles won't get AE content. It's a sign that the AE content will be subject to the balance goals of previous home versions when it is adapted for consoles, and that's good news.

SJDevs said on February 24, 2011 at 10:19 p.m.

Agreed and hilarious!

bokosaki said on February 24, 2011 at 10:40 p.m.

Playing against vanilla Sagat was challenging, you have to zone and think carefully about jumping in, and it still is. Now in AE you just feel annoying playing against those brothers and Fei.

DarkSamus said on February 25, 2011 at 5:52 a.m.

Ono has made a correction to his cooments

Skaz9000 said on February 25, 2011 at 6:43 a.m.

Intentionally making a game unbalanced? PLEASE tell me this is trolling ...

All games, even if fine-tuned for balance, will inevitably have some scales tilting more towards one character than another. Isn't that enough for the competitive community supposedly being sought? Not that that makes any sense anyways ...

cordova said on February 25, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.

ono is a IDIOT and BASTARD,the king of troll.

cvs said on February 25, 2011 at 11:48 a.m.

So are you.

MetalxHealthx said on February 26, 2011 at 1:14 p.m.

i have a feeling hes really more referring to Oni and evil Ryu. i know Yun and Yang are strong characters but imho i doubt theyll stay top 3 in the tiers for long. just a combination of being strong AND NEW, along with a crazy good super people dont fully know how to deal with yet. but thats just my opinion, and im not sayin theyll be bottom tier(just not top 3).

id bet oni and evil ryu have little balancing(at least comparatively) put into them and are almost just there for fun. not saying that they're broken, ive only seen videos. but i still feel Capcom is refering more to those 2 then yun and yang.