Without fan demand, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 wouldn't have happened

Posted by Catalyst
February 21, 2011 at 2:18 p.m. PST
Without fan demand, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 wouldn't have happened Capcom's Christian Svensson explained some of the behind the scenes process that goes into getting a Vs. title green-lit recently on the Unity Boards, saying that he partly backed MvC2 and MvC3 being made because of fan demand. He also goes on to discuss the issues Amazon has had with shipping MvC3 and if Street Fighter X Tekken has any hope of appearing on the PC. Here's everything.

I'm just curious, how does Capcom go about making a Vs. game?

Svensson: It starts with a champion. Someone who believes in an idea enough to put some work around it and pitch it at the highest levels of the company.

In Marvel vs. Capcom 3's case, it was Jun Takeuchi (Niitsuma's boss at the time) on the creative side and me on the business side (my conversations with Marvel on MvC2 triggered our internal discussions). In SF x Tekken, it was Ono on both sides (being personal friends with folks at Namco to work out to work out the business terms and being producer on the game).

Now, part of the reason I was a champion for MvC2 and MvC3 was because of all of the fan demand. If it hadn't been for that fan demand, MvC3 wouldn't have happened. The ideas we're asked for all the time by fans in this forum and the suggestion box give us all food for thought. We consider many ideas as we plan our product roadmap. Some are interesting creatively. Some are interesting from a business perspective. We strive to have both boxes ticked when someone steps up to champion an idea.

Would Capcom be comfortable with a game where Sub-Zero can rip Ken's head off? — Brandon

Svensson: [...] No, that's not something I would be comfortable with in a game produced by Capcom. That's not generally what we do. It would be much more appropriate in a game produced by Netherworld because that's what they do.

I pre-ordered my game from Amazon back on January 7th, 2011. February 15th rolled around, and I got nothing... So obviously I've been anxious for this game to arrive and I've been checking the status for the past 3 days. Still nothing has shipped. [I've had similar issues with the strategy guide.] — Ult Assassin

Svensson: I'd hate to say it but this is an Amazon issue we have no control over. Trust me when I tell you, we have enough problems with our fulfillment vendor on our own store and we can't be policing other retailers.

Amazon had their allocation early. I know they turned off pre-orders early to not exceed the allocation we told them they would get. I also know they had all of their copies in warehouse more than a week in advance of the street date, so I'm not sure what "supply" or "insufficient copies" they could be referring to.

I'm going to have to ask you to continue to take this up with Amazon.

On the strategy guide, there I'd bet they simply didn't order enough from our licensee, Brady Games. They did a fantastic job on the guide and it's in very high demand.

Will there be a Street Fighter X Tekken on PC?

Svensson: I'm still pushing on things like this guys.... I know you want it. No news to report right now though.

Comments

balmung55 said on February 21, 2011 at 2:22 p.m.

glad they listen to fan demand, never forget, no matter how Broken/easy/whatever reason you dont like about the game it wasnt easy to get out here

BlankaBeast said on February 21, 2011 at 2:26 p.m.

P
C

F
T
W

DeathQuote44 said on February 21, 2011 at 2:28 p.m.

So the indoor wind-cooling propellers demanded Marvel vs Capcom 3 too? WOW! Thanks fans!

(Just Kidding)

Sturmgeist13 said on February 21, 2011 at 3:05 p.m.

lol PC as if. Yea Capcom will release it if they want to lose major profit. I think they've learned their lesson with SF4, thank go they did.

EDGEucator said on February 21, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.

So basically instead of just saying we want Anskys vs Capcom , we should give Capcom some solid foundation too start off with if they choose too develop it ?

No problem :)

Good questions Unity.

DarthWaddleDoo said on February 21, 2011 at 3:22 p.m.

Really? Because I accidentally pre-ordered from both the Capcom store and Amazon. My Capcom order shipped the 11th. Since then, it's been from MN, to IN, back to MN, over to IL, and now it's been in MN for 3 days, and I still haven't gotten it. I'M IN WISCONSIN! Meanwhile, the Amazon order shipped late on the 14th, and I got it the next day.

cvs said on February 21, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

P
C

F
T
L

ScytheWP said on February 21, 2011 at 3:35 p.m.

Fan demand means we should have a CVS3 and a Darkstalkers 4. MVC3 was inevitable.

Osbjorn said on February 21, 2011 at 3:43 p.m.

I think i would rather capcom make a darkstalkers 4 or a new power stone or even a completly new fighting gam ip then another versus series game, becuase It would be stupid to oversaturate the market with crossovers, it just takes away from the specialness of the occasion.

Rekkaken2468 said on February 21, 2011 at 3:47 p.m.

i wud love to see sub zero rip ken's head off! XD

GenSoHotSpicy said on February 21, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.

Darkstalkers 4 would be sick.. or a whole new franchise. But yeah.. MvC3 was inevitable and I believe CvS3 will be inevitable too. SNK will need that skrilla.

riku45 said on February 21, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

Capcom are going to saturate the market with too many fighting games if they dont slow down :P The should make some other things like Im still waiting for a new megaman on the 360 and ps3. I like that capcom are uplifting the fighting genre but they should not forget about their other ips that are non fighting or zombies or aliens. So capcom a new megaman would be good or a ghosts and ghouls remake

eclipso said on February 21, 2011 at 4:19 p.m.

Your not going to see Netherworld do it either ;) Ill let you figure it out.

DestinyZX1 said on February 21, 2011 at 4:19 p.m.

So if it wasn't for the fans, we'd never got this awesome game. That I like and even Sven admitted it too.

blacksquid said on February 21, 2011 at 4:25 p.m.

Haha Capcom trying to say they're out best friend! Thanks Capcom for making me pay 60$ for a broken game!

genesiskhan said on February 21, 2011 at 4:35 p.m.

i hate that my friends hate this game they say its to cheap and to hard or to easy to play well if its hard its cause u suck and if its too easy for u to play then ur crazy not to just wanna whoop people with ur supposed skills hahaha im just sayin theres allot of hate has anyone recieved the same

Shwaffles said on February 21, 2011 at 4:52 p.m.

Don't worry about it they are just salty because its MARVEL!!!

therealist1991 said on February 21, 2011 at 4:58 p.m.

LETS GET SOME OF THAT "FAN DEMAND" FOR CAPCOM VS SNK 3
AND SVC CHAOS 2.

Shwaffles said on February 21, 2011 at 5:07 p.m.

+1 on CvS3.

cvs said on February 21, 2011 at 5:07 p.m.

lol?

cvs said on February 21, 2011 at 5:08 p.m.

+1 on SvC2

Stickyresin said on February 21, 2011 at 5:23 p.m.

@4 They didn't lose any money. The game was a simple port and was #1 or #2 best-seller on Steam for a while. They just don't understand the PC market and were butt-hurt when they saw the statistics on how often it was being torrented.

SmokeRulz said on February 21, 2011 at 5:23 p.m.

+1 for Darkstalkers 4

Ult_Assassin said on February 21, 2011 at 5:25 p.m.

Ha... Well even though I hate the fact my game didn't arrive until this morning, I love the fact Capcom responds to their fans.

I posted that topic over on Capcom-Unity and got an official response from Sven himself, that's a beautiful thing...

When my Seriously Achievement in Gears of War wouldn't unlock, Epic Games gave no response. Just had to deal with it. So thanks Capcom.

blacksquid said on February 21, 2011 at 5:50 p.m.

@16 LOL, you know, you're totally right - I'm stupid to have paid 60$ for this broken game. But it's fun nonetheless, eh? Thing is, how am I supposed to discover this when they have no demo? That's right... I have to buy it... anyway, if you think it's balanced you probably really enjoy sentinel and x-factor.

kryptonkandor said on February 21, 2011 at 5:58 p.m.

Bless you Ono :)

PikminExpert said on February 21, 2011 at 6:08 p.m.

Seriously, Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, and Street Fighter X Tekken. If any of those titles ever made it onto the PC platform, I would get it right away.

joker101 said on February 21, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.

"With respect to fighting games (or any game where online is a major component), pirating actually increases sales. I know I wasn't planning on buying SF4 but I saw the torrent so I downloaded it on a whim. After messing around for a few hours I really started to like it and I wanted to play online, so I bought it on Steam immediately after."

Way to promote some serious bullsh*t based on your own singular personal experience rather than on stats or some other form of real evidence.

MALDA said on February 21, 2011 at 6:18 p.m.

h1tm0nl33 said on February 21, 2011 at 6:32 p.m.

were not gonna see any future Capcom fighters on the PC there too easy to pirate.

DumbDLC said on February 21, 2011 at 7:20 p.m.

@1 can you really say they listen to the fans? How long did we have to wait for MvC3? And instead of being packed full of content its missing things like spec mode and custom soundtrack but they DLC is ready.

Naw they arent listening to the fans just the money in the fans wallets

SaikyoRyu said on February 21, 2011 at 8:06 p.m.

Thank goodness for no ripping off heads. I don't want those sick Mortal Combat fan boys ruining my street fighter.

Scorpion and Sub Zero are cool an all, but MC takes it too far with the violence and gore.

tegstar said on February 21, 2011 at 8:26 p.m.

@ SaikyoRyu
What? are some little pussy.............

JanTheMan said on February 21, 2011 at 8:58 p.m.

T. Hawk's U2 > All Fatalities

Raven said on February 21, 2011 at 8:59 p.m.

"game produced by Capcom"

Gets get blown off in RE. =P

I'll guess he was talking about the segment of Capcom he works in.

Capcom used to care more about the creative side than the business side, how the mighty have fallen. Now everything is being mass marketing. -_-

lmarshalljr04 said on February 21, 2011 at 9:09 p.m.

I agree. The game is broken but you should had rented the game first.

xxjcblackheartxx said on February 21, 2011 at 9:14 p.m.

how is the brady guide worth buying ?

MALDA said on February 21, 2011 at 9:42 p.m.

The_Killah29 said on February 21, 2011 at 9:54 p.m.

I call BS on the "fan demand" thing. Capcom can get better at not charging all the stuff that should actually in the game as dlc. >:(

chickenwings said on February 21, 2011 at 11:51 p.m.

so if people start demanding can we get cvs3 then???

JIHADJOE said on February 22, 2011 at 12:57 a.m.

+1 on that, unfortunately PIRATES FTL.

DynaDASH said on February 22, 2011 at 1:34 a.m.

Haters, white knights.
Always one or the another.
We can be objective ¿right? inb4nowecannot
But we can try.

In one hand, I am disgusted that both characters are already there on the disc and that I cannot really play them at the moment because they are unfinished, on the other hand I completely understand CAPCOM in their decision to release them a bit later but not take them out.
But I'd like to argue the cost of said characters.
$5 dollars each. Well, I do not know the fees required to "finish" a character, but I don't believe it has to be expensive. Taking we have a roster of 36 characters and a game of $60, among other features.

Take for instance, Valkenhayn was way cheaper than Makoto Nanaya and is a new playable character to the roster, and his cost is not exactly expensive, quite honestly.

What I truly honestly think, is that the patch to allow us having the characters should be free, because they are finishing them as we already bought them (literally we bought Jill and Shuma already, they are fully playable albeit some hacks or unfinished).

Still, a lot of the complainers will STILL buy the DLC and say no more about the matter.

I believe the price should be shortened, or at least after a while of being released. And yes, I will get both characters (I bought CE), so that pretty much proves how we can complain and still commit to CAPCOM plans.

Let's see if fan demand can get us Strider and Cyclops.

StuntmanJames said on February 22, 2011 at 2:20 a.m.

fighters belong on consoles or arcades... not computers....

XxZebraxDaddyxX said on February 22, 2011 at 4:25 a.m.

Capcom keeps dumbing down games to apeal to the masses. as such scrub friendly mash tactics work very well. this game sux but my kid likes it. so insted of gettin 20 bucks for it. it goes to the lil man who cant put hype sh*t together in MvC2 or street fighter. as for mvc3 he stays intrested in the fighting genre. that of course is good enough for him. i on the other hand demand better games, so as capcom games go ill dl them first. im not even gonna waste money on renting them. taking the complexity out of fighting games and making them for the masses is like pissing in the mouth of the comunity. how do you go from 3rd strike to the sf4 series or from MvC2 to mvc3. its a step backwards and as gamers we should demand better and not just settle cause its a new marvel. people say haters gonna hate and all that lame sh*t, but love these special olympic games bein put out. capcom is laming you out and you love them for it. this game doesnt have the hype MvC2 still has 11 years later. even pros are droping this pos left and right. sad fact is capcom is destroying clasics and you keep buying in.

Avalanche_Jam said on February 22, 2011 at 6:36 a.m.

You're being completely unreasonable. You're demanding that Capcom make better games as if you're their advisor. They make games for money and try to please as many people as possible along the way. Am I happy with every decision they've made? Of course not. They're a freaking business. They're going to make marketing decisions that make gamers angry. But you're just one pissed off fan and I doubt they're going to waste time responding positively to someone who isn't willing to compromise.

If you want to play "classics" then play them, but these are new games. Comparing them endlessly to older titles will only make things worse.

Gojiguy said on February 22, 2011 at 7:19 a.m.

lol Sven is such a prick.

Calling himself a "champion."

It was actually Jun Takeuchi (I believe) who brought up the idea of reviving the Vs. Series back in 07 when Tatsunoko approached Capcom about making a game with all the Tatsunoko characters. Takeuchi approached Tatsunoko about making it into a Capcom vs game and they loved the idea. Since then we have seen MvC2 and MvC3 as well as TvCUAS.

As for business side "champion" that was someone from Capcom JP as well

Gojiguy said on February 22, 2011 at 7:24 a.m.

EDIT: It was Niitsuma who came up with the idea, not takeuchi

XxZebraxDaddyxX said on February 22, 2011 at 7:54 a.m.

so you would rather play every dumbed down title that gets released than have a quality game with depth and a high replay value. one that would withstand the test of time like marvel vs capcom 2 super turbo or 3rd strike. rather than evolve mechanics and add to them you want to see things further dumbed down till we can play on an nes controler. and as far as comparing them to older games you cant because the new titles fail in comparison.
its not wrong to want a better game that is complex. we talk about leveling our game up in the fighting comunity, but how do we do that when the games are getting dumbed down? precision is becoming a thing of the past and the mash friendly mechanics are a huge set back.
just sayin an infinite used to be something to be proud of now all you have to do is tastu. sorry if i wanted better, sincerely i apologize.

cvs said on February 22, 2011 at 10:59 a.m.

Could play other fighters besides capcom ones then.

dejavu22 said on February 27, 2011 at 1:45 a.m.

I wish Capcom would just announce CvS3 already.