Niitsuma wanted 58 characters in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • August 9, 2011 at 3:26 p.m. PDT
Niitsuma wanted 58 characters in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Johnz sent over a translation by CAW Evolution of a recent interview 4Gamer.net did with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's producer, Ryota Niitsuma. There aren't a ton of new details here, but here's a rundown regardless.

• Initially, the plan was to include 58 characters in UMvC3 in order to surpass Marvel vs. Capcom 2, but due to scheduling this was an impossibility. For those of you keeping score at home, UMvC3 will have 50 characters in it, if you include Shuma and Jill as DLC.

• Niitsuma states there will be character reveals at all major events.

Would you have preferred a larger roster for UMvC3 or a release date before Christmas? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Story also submitted by Boba and Brazilanubis3.

Comments

Niebeer said on August 9, 2011 at 3:29 p.m.

I would much rather have them wait a bit and release it with more characters. I wanted Gene from God Hand so badly....

Yashiro_Nanakase said on August 9, 2011 at 3:29 p.m.

58? Maybe Gene and another one from marvel. =)

h00dRaTT said on August 9, 2011 at 3:31 p.m.

Resident Evil 6? HYPE!

Nintendeon said on August 9, 2011 at 3:31 p.m.

I honestly would be okay with the game being sold post- Christmas time if 58 characters were going to be in it, but hey, I'm not complaining.

I think I'm going to enjoy UMVC3. Hopefully gameplay is truly balanced and online is actually playable.

DarkRyu94 said on August 9, 2011 at 3:32 p.m.

Well it would of been so much better too have 58 characters then everyones most wanted could get in like Megaman, Venom and Gene

human_scum said on August 9, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

Super SFxT for Christmas 2012 anyone?

jedafar said on August 9, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

My hopes in X!!

Hotdiddykong said on August 9, 2011 at 3:35 p.m.

Thinking about it, 50 is ALLOT almost like mvc2, hopefully this will be huge, and will get capcom to make characters as dlc.

Im already happy with it now so its all good.

POSSIBLE for nemesis to be in RE6? AWESOME!

GamePirate420 said on August 9, 2011 at 3:35 p.m.

People saying that Vanilla MvC was rushed for EVO or to beat Mortal Kombat...take a bow. (including me!)

And in case you cant read between the lines. That basically means that more characters are coming! (Ultimate had to be released early for X-mas)

Another note: This means that Capcom execs are desperate for Christmas money by forcing the game out for the holidays.

If they truly did care about the game/players it would be out when it's FULL of content.

LSS (long story short) There WILL BE more DLC characters so...let me start!

Gene God Hand, Dock Ock, Nico, Vanessa Schneider

EVOBiohazard said on August 9, 2011 at 3:36 p.m.

@6, Don't be stupid. MvC3 is by no means attached to SF. SF and SFxT are Ono's projects. MvC3 is somebody else's. Ono has nothing to do with MvC3. Ono actually said that when there will be DLC's for SFxT they'll be like AE (both DLC and disc).

EVOBiohazard said on August 9, 2011 at 3:37 p.m.

Don't care about this terrible game, but Nemesis maybe in RE6?! Holy Jesus! I'm starting to get hyped!

RyanCE said on August 9, 2011 at 3:37 p.m.

The article says nothing about Nemesis or RE6. Just a heads up.

zUkUu said on August 9, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

50 would have been the minimum (or 48 without dlc). another reason why UMVC3 is the "finished" game and mvc3 vanillia is just a released beta.

DrewGrimey said on August 9, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.

@10 EVOBiohazard

Don't be stupid!
SFxT, MvC3 are both owned by Capcom and Capcom has employed the same sales tactics since the early SFII days. Do you remember when Nitsuma said there will be DLC for MvC3? Surprise, UMvC3 rushed for christmas.

lol I got a good laugh at your ignorant, misinformed post

DestinyZX1 said on August 9, 2011 at 3:45 p.m.

More characters would have been nice. But Nemesis in RE6 caught me by surprise.

umad said on August 9, 2011 at 3:46 p.m.

too bad there's things called deadlines and making money.

portalsofmadnes said on August 9, 2011 at 3:48 p.m.

That sucks that means they wanted to cash in on christmas so thay scheduled like that.If they would have released it in february an exact year after Mvc3 with 58 characters that would made perfect sense,the same old story of business first,fans and game longevity second.

portalsofmadnes said on August 9, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.

both mvc3 and umvc3 were rushed,it seems the suits have the final say on how a game plays out.

meatball123d said on August 9, 2011 at 3:52 p.m.

inb4 "ultimate super mvc3 arcade edition" $14.99 coming 2012

MarLightning said on August 9, 2011 at 3:53 p.m.

Sigh I wished to be able to wait longer... My best opinion is that when UMvC3 has come out on November 15, we can buy a DLC of each character (each costs 0.99 dollars). If we want all 8 added characters, we can pay a total of almost 8 dollars (8 x 0.99 dollars). That's no problem with me.

MarLightning said on August 9, 2011 at 3:54 p.m.

I made it clearer: After* UMvC3 has come out

KenjiSan said on August 9, 2011 at 3:56 p.m.

Simple solution... Both :P.. That is why there is such thing as DLC.. lol.. Honestly though.. yes i would like them to release the game earlier... and if possible with DLC later.. but if not i would like them to postpone and wait for the 58..

cadnexus said on August 9, 2011 at 3:56 p.m.

I like the release date before Christmas, the sooner the better. As long as the updates have good characters coming, I'll buy it.

BaroqueObama said on August 9, 2011 at 3:57 p.m.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'd much rather prefer a later release date with more characters... ughhhh man I could definitely wait a few more months for Gene, MMX, Cyclops, Galacta (lol)...

cadnexus said on August 9, 2011 at 3:58 p.m.

It makes me wonder if that means 58 plus the 2 DLC Shuma and Jill makes 60 or 56 plus the 2 DLC which makes 58?

awad1205 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:03 p.m.

I wanted a larger roster including ken from street fighter nd cyclops from xmen, maybe Dr octopus and carnage from spiderman, nd megaman nd mbison from street fighter. I really tthink capcom shud hav put more street fighter characters in mvc3 period! Ryu, Ken and akuma are shoto fighters but in mvc2 u cud see the difference in their fighting styles.. we need this in umvc3!

VideoKid106 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:06 p.m.

Nemesis in RE6 AWESOME!!!

illness690 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:09 p.m.

Bluur said on August 9, 2011 at 4:09 p.m.

If we do get a larger roster, while I want Jin and MegaMan X, I would like to see more new characters. Maybe 2 old for Capcom and Marvel, and then 2 new on each side as well for DLC.

SHOGUN said on August 9, 2011 at 4:10 p.m.

Too bad it cant be 50 with 8 or actually let me rephrase, I guess 48 disc characters with 10 DLC characters released every month. 1 on marvels side and one one Capcoms side. That would be the way to go.

cadnexus said on August 9, 2011 at 4:10 p.m.

If I see another Street Fighter, it better be either Gill, Urien or Seth one of those NEEDS to be in, especially either Gill or Urien.

Hafucken said on August 9, 2011 at 4:11 p.m.

i dont think nemesis in re6 but the upcoming Resident evil: Operation Raccon City, features Nemesis as one of the Antagonist because it happen at the same time of RE 2 and 3.

Ofcourse i heard re6 was a reboot so anything can happen.

holmes15688 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:13 p.m.

ChunLi said on August 9, 2011 at 4:14 p.m.

"• The translator's impression from the article is that the higher-ups wanted this out by the end of the year (for Christmas), and Niitsuma and his team had to change their plans to accommodate this."

*THE HIGHER UPS WANTED THIS OUT BY THE END OF THE YEAR*

Keiji Inafune-San, I do not blame you for leaving, as you were ENTIRELY right doing so. The higher-ups care about making money ASAP instead of making a quality game worth waiting for. This might make me hold back for a while instead of getting it midnight. Mind you, not many things made me a bit "Grr" about these updates, but this one certainly did.

Unless they can assure that UMvC3 is "complete" by launch, in it's entirety, then I won't get it so soon.

LordJim said on August 9, 2011 at 4:15 p.m.

UmvC3 adds more characters than Super, just a FYI.

The roster is big enough already, and tehre will always be something that dictates when a game should be released.
I am sure if we left them 2 years, we could have had a ginormous roster with months worth of playtesting, but we need to be realistic

holmes15688 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:16 p.m.

DrewGrimey said on August 9, 2011 at 4:17 p.m.

Get ready for $5 DLC characters

Jandro83 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:17 p.m.

Capcom forced it to be before christmas? I call complete BS, either Marvel had to do something with it or something else happened, Capcom NEVER releases big hitter on holiday season. Capcom always release their big guns between January and April.

R4HU1 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:20 p.m.

THIS IS NOT A GAME FOR THE FANS. GET OUT OF HERE, I HOPE THIS GAME FAILS AND MVC3 DIES. BRING BACK THE REAL MVC!!! DON'T BUY THIS FREAKING GAME, IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY JUST LIKE THE FIRST ITERATION.

holmes15688 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:21 p.m.

SteadiestShark said on August 9, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSSSSS

DrewGrimey said on August 9, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.

It is starting to feel like Capcom and Marvel are using MvC as a tool to promote their franchises rather than making a game for the fans of Marvel and Capcom

Fretless94 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.

If the game was made out of nothing but characters we knew, then the game would be blander for it.

JumpMan33 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:25 p.m.

Capcom probably wants it out before SF X T.

Surfer4 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:27 p.m.

anybody know when the next major gaming event / date is ? Can't wait to see the new chars in action

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on August 9, 2011 at 4:27 p.m.

They're rushing ULTIMATE Marvel 3 as well?
Geez, this sounds like it'll sure be a quality product!

Rekkaken2468 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:30 p.m.

dont worry, the other 8 will show up in ultimate mvc3: arcade edition.

kirbykirbykirby said on August 9, 2011 at 4:32 p.m.

they know fans of the series are going to buy it any time of the year, youll see when the numbers come in.

Hotdiddykong said on August 9, 2011 at 4:33 p.m.

Thats the most retarted comment I ever heard.
Your just a hating whinning little kid.

Nobody wanted any of the new roster till we saw who came because we expected everyone from mvc2,after we saw the new people THEN people decide if they wanted them or not. There was nobody who "didnt want" arthur because nobody F*cking knew he would come.
YOU hate them, dont talk like your the whole community cause your not.

portalsofmadnes said on August 9, 2011 at 4:35 p.m.

@33 holmes.i agree,Shuma and Jill still DLC is a slap to the face.and they coulda really added a black character like Blackpanther or Blade,but i do like alot of the new characters,even though i would have prefered they wait and include 58 characters to FINALLY top MvC2,im still looking forward to this game.

portalsofmadnes said on August 9, 2011 at 4:39 p.m.

@holmes.i disagree i main characters like Joe because the majority of people dont know how to defend against him,and Arthur and Rocket Raccoon are O.G characters,im buying this game day one JUST for the Raccoon.

babineaux said on August 9, 2011 at 4:41 p.m.

I have no problem with this if we see these 8 at some other point as DLC. What I do have a problem with is paying 5 bucks per character. Divide the cost of vanilla by the on disc roster of 36 and you didn't even pay 2 dollars per character. Then, factor in the rest of the game content besides the playable roster and it's even less. Besides suits loving money, I don't understand the 5 dollar price tag.

gamefreak20 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:41 p.m.

58 characters? OMG!

GamePirate420 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:42 p.m.

Niitsuma needs a pay cut for talking about forcing a game out.

DarkSamus said on August 9, 2011 at 4:43 p.m.

Exactly my thoughts.

I am more keen on the RE info in that bit :p

Hotdiddykong said on August 9, 2011 at 4:46 p.m.

Again, YOU think joe is lame, I find him arthur,amy,modok and more bring more to the game than the obvious choices and Phoenix wright,Rocket Racoon,Frank,Strange and Nemesis are gonna do the same.

gamefreak20 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:47 p.m.

I don't believe it. He said that he wanted 58 characters? That's a gigantic roster for crying out loud, but it will buy me some time right after Tokyo Game Show finalized the roster. I wouldn't want such a giant roster. I prefer 50 characters.

Steele301 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.

Ugh. I'm almost scared to read this. This sounds like by the time 2012 rolls around, we'll be getting yet another retail only disk, 8 new characters, and a few new modes.

ledo said on August 9, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.

58 chars pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

drez1210 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:51 p.m.

lets be honest here, if the game sells well(which it is) capcom is going to dlc characters. its a no brainer money in there pocket

gamefreak20 said on August 9, 2011 at 4:53 p.m.

Congratulations on making Nemesis as a big character though. This starting to feel like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

xeraton said on August 9, 2011 at 4:53 p.m.

The capcom higher ups have been screwing over the producers for years now, so much that a lot of Capcom's game designers are all leaving.
-Kenji inafune claims he could not work under the conditions given to him by capcom suits
-Creator of Resident evil
-creator of devil may cry
-closed down clover studios

There is more I just can't remember right now

powderedtoastman said on August 9, 2011 at 4:55 p.m.

@#52
5 dollars is to cover other expenses capcom have to deal with when dealing with psn and xbox live related things. It even cost money to put free demos and patches for games. So it understandable from that view point cause everyone want to pocket some cash from any services used. The love of money should be the only reason you need to understand.
Just look at the costume packets cost more separate and much cheaper as one and that cause sony and microsoft charge per thing to publish last i checked.

Boogityboy said on August 9, 2011 at 4:58 p.m.

Catalyst said on August 9, 2011 at 5:04 p.m.

@RyanCE

Thanks, I'll take that part out. Looks like that was an addition from Johnz.

Death_Reveals said on August 9, 2011 at 5:11 p.m.

If Gene doesnt get in the game, im gonna have to travel to Capcom's head office and DRAGON KICK the executives into the Milky Way.

No joke.

At least sick characters like Nemesis and Iron Fist got in.

Brianguyanddude said on August 9, 2011 at 5:15 p.m.

Man I feel like its takin em too long to release a new reveal trailer, allot of those new guys look like they'd be interesting to watch, and since theres like EIGHT of em, they should be released like once a month. One reveal trailer may overload my HYPE meter for this game, but lack of cool info makes me lose it :/

SHOGUN said on August 9, 2011 at 5:16 p.m.

@61 I doubt Nemesis is gonna be as big as Gold Lightan. He wasn't even that big in RE. He'll most likely be Capcoms equivalent to prepatched Sentinel.

GregarSoul said on August 9, 2011 at 5:17 p.m.

Yes, I would rather wait to have the game with 58 characters, not that im hating the roster of Umvc3, but it would be awesome to have that many.

DrewGrimey said on August 9, 2011 at 5:25 p.m.

@everyone saying V.Joe was a stupid addition....

I agree 100%

Commander_Hulk said on August 9, 2011 at 5:31 p.m.

~S.T.A.R.S.~ Nemisis is coming for u

SsjBizzle said on August 9, 2011 at 5:31 p.m.

Yea ''Due to sheduling.'' Aka they were to lazy and wanted to make money as quick as possible instead of good designers/devs spending years upon years for one game perfecting it!

:D

GamePirate420 said on August 9, 2011 at 5:32 p.m.

If Nemesis has the most health in the game. Would there be any arguments?

AngrySteve said on August 9, 2011 at 5:35 p.m.

The Capcom suit and ties dude just halting progress left and right. I can't take my anger out on a game I love so much due to what the higher ups rule on. I can't wait for UMVC3 8 months after mvc3 or not I just can't be mad at this game. 58 characters would pretty much guarantee a Megaman, Onimusha, Rival Schools, Godhand (even though I hate that game) or heck even Asura's wrath character would be in. But hey the characters we got are pretty darn cool and as a fan of the Marvel Universe I was very happy with the new selections.

Javix said on August 9, 2011 at 5:35 p.m.

I'm fine with an earlier releases, they can just do an AE style DLC update with a 8 new characters later.

GamePirate420 said on August 9, 2011 at 5:37 p.m.

Everyone @ EVo said they want Tekken Tag 2 out early.
You know what that means?

unfinished full price plus DLC money later.

FINISH YOUR GAMES!!!

SHOGUN said on August 9, 2011 at 5:41 p.m.

Quit demanding them early then.

rogueish1 said on August 9, 2011 at 5:51 p.m.

I prefer they fix the netcode on mvc3

DrewGrimey said on August 9, 2011 at 5:51 p.m.

You gotta wonder, when did they start working om UMvC3?

Kwisatz_Haderach said on August 9, 2011 at 5:58 p.m.

I can't believe that there are so many stupid people out there saying that Capcom and Marvel wanted "creativity" in UMVC3, and that's why we have such a lame roster of Marvel characters. Marvel doesn't give a damn what their fans think or want! That's been made perfectly clear. Instead of having a combination of new and old characters, which would have pleased most people, Marvel looked at the game as a form of free advertising and insisted that this roster of 3rd rate characters (all with upcoming movies or other projects) be the next six. This is a crass business decision pure and simple, and some of you idiots are happy about it! F#%$ THIS GAME!! I'll wait for Arcade Edition.

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on August 9, 2011 at 6:01 p.m.

Watch it be where if they DID decide to add 58 and DID hold it back post December that Mega Man would still not be included.

fawaz said on August 9, 2011 at 6:02 p.m.

So the bosses IMPOSED an early release date without caring if the game is actually ready with all the required contents & features? Cool...

AG311 said on August 9, 2011 at 6:03 p.m.

Good thing Harada usually makes a vanilla version and then just updates it on the arcade THEN puts it on the consoles. They always take there time....or so I think :P

RedRapperSux said on August 9, 2011 at 6:07 p.m.

I don't care how many characters are in it. Fact is, MvC3 is stale now knowing that an updated and more "balanced" version is on the way. Bottom line, if Professor X is not in the game I will lose my mind. I want to bust out some wheel chair combos.

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on August 9, 2011 at 6:10 p.m.

@80: You just know that there will be people in this community who would still defend CAPCOM if they DO end up releasing a 3rd version of this game (maybe with another Marvel character to tie-in to one of their new products that is at least two or three times better than the next best character...?).

AngrySteve said on August 9, 2011 at 6:10 p.m.

#80 Wow umm lame roster? Third rate characters? Dude you must have been asleep since the 90's or something cause from a Marvel point of view its damn great. Firstly Super Skrull there are plenty of books that will tell how awsome and terrifying the Skrulls are. Secondly I'm glad there trying to throw more Avengers in here rather than Xmen seriously I know thats what your hinting at. The inclusion of Dormammu was brilliant, Modok was an unexpected success and hell I couldn't be more happy they gave She Hulk a little spot light. Now I'm giving more props on putting in Iron Fist, Nova and Doctor Strange and its awsome to see Hawkeye an Avenger who has been in so many story arc's its hard to believe he wasn't in a previous game. Seriously dude stick to your 90's saturday morning cartoon shows and I will thank you not to speak for us true Marvel fans.

KreativeKing said on August 9, 2011 at 6:14 p.m.

UMVC3 is not rushed. If it was rushed it would still have been 58 characters. THe fact that those 8 got cut, they just took away some characters so they can make the best out of the ones they can make.

Theres a difference between Rushed and Diliberately left out

gam3fr33k said on August 9, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.

#why megaman was cut

xShonuffx said on August 9, 2011 at 6:20 p.m.

Strider (Pure fan demand)
Firebrand (Staffs personal pick)
Ghost Rider (To Promote Ghostrider sequel).
Hawkeye (To Promote Avengers Movie).

Rocket Raccon (Possible new comic book series focus).
Dr. Strange (Posible Movie or Comic Book series focus).
Nova (Possible comic book series focus).
Iron First (Possible comic book series focus).

Frank West (To Promote Dead Rising 2 w/Frank West)
Nemesis (I believe he will be in the new RE: Raccoon City)
Pheonix Wright (Fan suggestion)
Vergil (Not sure if it's to promote the horrindus DmC or fan pick. You decide).

These are my assmptions but as you can see most of the Marvel picks were all buisness decisions, not for fans. Pretty sad really. I think everyone is mad at the wrong company, people need to flood the Marvel forums IMHO, not get mad at Capcom.

AngrySteve said on August 9, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

#89 They may be promoting new books for these guys but still it at least introduces the masses to who these guys are. Iron Fist is pure awsome after battling an ancient dragon he obtains his Iron Fist power his story is very interesting. Nova is sort of like Green Lantern he is an intergalactic Superhero. Doctor Strange is a very popular character he has been around for ages and its great to see him in a game so we can see him square off against Shuma and Dormammu. Guys seriously these are really cool characters if you just gave them the same chance you gave other hero's.

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on August 9, 2011 at 6:31 p.m.

@90: Doctor Strange isn't even the Sorcerer Supreme anymore. For a self-proclaimed 'true Marvel fan', you don't seem to remember something about the character even a non-comic-book-reader like myself knows.

xeraton said on August 9, 2011 at 6:36 p.m.

People are just butt hurt that instead of the lame ass characters from the 90s cartoon we got actual characters that are relevant to today's comic book fans.

AngrySteve said on August 9, 2011 at 6:40 p.m.

#91 Brother Voodoo or should I say Doctor Voodoo is the current Sorcerer supreme. There you happy now?

AngrySteve said on August 9, 2011 at 6:44 p.m.

#91 and btw when did I say Strange was the current sorcerer supreme? I just said he is a very popular character so its no surprise he is in. I wouldn't be objected to Doctor Voodoo getting in the game instead of Strange its just cool to see Strange in a game. Trust me kiddo I already knew Voodoo replaced Strange as Sorcerer Supreme back in 2009.

kirbykirbykirby said on August 9, 2011 at 6:44 p.m.

all mega man fans need to do something about it though. the phoenix wright fans did it and capcom saw its great promotion for that character. mega man is the most famous character in capcom, why would they need to put him in the game to outshine everyone else? besides just screaming for him i wonder what would make them put him as dlc or something cause its gotten out of hand. they can make a ton of money but since there not coming out with new mega man games right now i dont see them adding him at all to umvc3 but it pisses me off that viewtiful joe gets a chance (loved that series) and he doesn't have a new game out right now and gets the push he deserves especially being in such a popular fighter

Auzl said on August 9, 2011 at 6:55 p.m.

Christmas? NOBODY CARES ABOUT CHRISTMAS. WHERE ARE MY CHARACTERS NIITSUMA, YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE CHARACTERS.

lmarshalljr04 said on August 9, 2011 at 7:27 p.m.

Whatever Niitsuma... Just make your Ultimate MVC3 Arcade Edition for 2012 and shut the hell up..

ShadowKnight28 said on August 9, 2011 at 7:53 p.m.

New version in 2012 confirmed?

Tensa said on August 9, 2011 at 7:58 p.m.

soo... the producers doesnt have as much say as I thought that sucks niitsuma wants a finished game and capcom wants money hmmm well Iam getting umvc3 anyways

BFPhony said on August 9, 2011 at 8:03 p.m.

that's funny, they're basically asking us if we had rather preferred a longer development time over trying to cash in as quick as possible. With any luck from capcom, nitsuma might get a 3rd opportunity to release the 8 characters he missed.

Load more comments