Sven elaborates on tourney options for Street Fighter 3 OE, 600MB install

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • August 8, 2011 at 3:27 p.m. PDT
Sven elaborates on tourney options for Street Fighter 3 OE, 600MB install Capcom's Christian Svensson offered a few more details on how the tournament mode in Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Online Edition will work recently on the Unity Boards, saying that it'll be customizable based on the rule sets you select. He briefly talks about some other details about the game as well.

There's also a quick comment about Tatsunoko.

What kinds of tournament modes are there in SF3 OE? — Joseph

Svensson: There are different tourney rulesets (for example, one is "Evo rules") but they're all 8 man, single elimination.

The rulesets revolve around are there characters that are banned? Are there double blind selects? How many rounds? Etc.

What's the file size for this game? — Shinkuu Kikoken

Svensson: Somewhere around 600 megabytes.

Does SF3 OE use Sony DRM? — SmashManiac

Svensson: As Derek and I covered in the 3rd Strike panel at Evo, the game does not make use of Sony's network DRM. It is playable offline. We deemed that very important for future tournament use.

Will the PSN version have custom sound track selection? — The Chosen One

Svensson: This was answered earlier in the thread. No, it won't support custom sound tracks.

Is there anyway 3s parry system could be implemented in any future Street Fighter games? — Temitayo

Svensson: No plans to do so. It's a distinct 3s thing.

With SF3 OE come to the iPhone? — Magnetowned

Svensson: I'll never say never but it's not in the works right now. Updates to Street Fighter IV Volt are what our mobile teams in Japan are working on.

What's happening with the Tatsunoko characters? Does Capcom still have their licenses? If so, will there be a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 2? Will it get a 360/PS3 release this time around? — Yassar

Svensson: Nothing I can say on this topic at the moment. Sorry. :)

Comments

vsDenjin said on August 8, 2011 at 3:31 p.m.

I wish you had a choice between single or double elimination...

xShonuffx said on August 8, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

Do you have to watch the matches like in SSFIV Tournament or is every match independent of one another.

Pnume said on August 8, 2011 at 3:36 p.m.

If it goes like the SSF4 AE tournament on PC, the feature is hardly used because of the poor match making system.

I posted a suggestion to improve that (poor english writing but I'm not english). It could apply to any vs games actually

(Tournament SSF4 AE PC - Pseudo Pnumekin)

If you want to give it some support

SAMURAI said on August 8, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.

Are the ranked and endless/player matches blind select or is it like in Vanilla?

The_Gio_G said on August 8, 2011 at 3:50 p.m.

Here's hoping Tatsunoko vs. Capcom gets a much-deserved sequel eventually, but chances are it's just going to get overshadowed by the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 4.

SsjBizzle said on August 8, 2011 at 3:52 p.m.

I don't play Third strike, but damn this is a perfect port.

I wish they did this with the Capcom games I actually played ._. fun challenges? Tut mode? Button input @ character select? Youtube function? Spectator? A GOOD Tournament mode with EVO/SBO W/e rules?

Im getting this anyways

xRELLIKx said on August 8, 2011 at 3:55 p.m.

I'm gonna guess therell be a tatsumoko for next gen.

How the f*** would you play 3S on iPhone?

MugenLord said on August 8, 2011 at 4:03 p.m.

Trust me, there will be a Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2.

powderedtoastman said on August 8, 2011 at 4:04 p.m.

@#6
yea you should support it anyways, cause if it does well then the features that 3sOE had would be in consideration for future releases. Plus its only 15 bucks, and you get alot.

@#7
very carefully, screen tap for parry and simplified buttons.

SodiumFighter said on August 8, 2011 at 4:06 p.m.

No custom sound tracks? That kind of sucks. I do however like what I see with the tournament options. Can't wait for this to come out!

SomeDude said on August 8, 2011 at 4:08 p.m.

Really hopin that ps3/xbox360 will get Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2..
*whisper* i liked it more than MvC3 */whisper*

SomeDude said on August 8, 2011 at 4:09 p.m.

*Tatsunoko vs Capcom

R4HU1 said on August 8, 2011 at 4:11 p.m.

If you want TVC just play MVC3. MVC3 is hardly a sequel to MVC2, it's just TVC for PS3/360.

Ing_Goodface said on August 8, 2011 at 4:22 p.m.

Man I would die happy if I ever see tatsunoko vs marvel vs capcom in my llfetime, and I'll think I'm in heaven if we ever get a tekken x kof x street fighter. Probably just a pipe dream though. :/

AquaTeamV3 said on August 8, 2011 at 4:25 p.m.

@13:

TvC may have a similar control scheme to MvC3, but at a high level of play the games are VERY different.

powderedtoastman said on August 8, 2011 at 4:30 p.m.

@#13
Baroque y megacrash makes it a totally different game. And its plays slower than mvc3. So with all that combined, it gives people a fighting chance to play the game before dying to a single mistake and lose a character. Seeing how much people like sf4 series i can see why they like the forgiveness tvc brings. Mess up and end up in a what could be a deadly combo? MEGACRASH and get another chance to fight back.

yea i hated TVC, wouldnt let me destroy my friends when they are sitting on 5 meters ready to megacrash. Forcing me to play a cautious style so i dont blow my baroque in a combo when they mess up(and they do alot) And using alex/soki means i gotta work my slow ass back in to do something just to get flung across the screen yet again annoying me to hell. Just for him to lose anyways, just delays his death by like 20-30 secs.

Cauptain said on August 8, 2011 at 4:36 p.m.

@Is there anyway 3s parry system could be implemented in any future Street Fighter games? Svensson: No plans to do so. It's a distinct 3s thing.

Best question ever...No more stupid thing in SF games. Thank you GOD.

bullitt23 said on August 8, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.

I've been so amped for 3s online, great to hear more about it and its good its only 600, already got a few things clogging up the hdd

Buying it on release day :D

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on August 8, 2011 at 5:17 p.m.

notice how he says its only a 3rd Strike thing. and also notice how 3rd Strike is a SF Classic (next to SF2) to be brought, revamped, to PS3/360. nice try at trying to make it look like the parry system is crap, when really it makes SF3 one of the best SF games in history.

J said on August 8, 2011 at 6:52 p.m.

Rofl @ 3S on iPhone.

What the hell man.

roknin said on August 8, 2011 at 7:30 p.m.

@ toastman - I loved TvC.

I don't mind having an escape move at all. After all, it wasn't completely free: it costs you two bars and all of your red life. Definitely more risky than BB/GG's Burst system (which I also like btw).

And hey, Mega Crash is a hell of a lot better than X-Factor IMO. They're both comeback techniques, but Mega Crash actually cost you something (same with Baroque).

I really, really do hope it gets a remake or a sequel. TvC, IMO, had a lot more interesting character choices simply by virtue of picking such a strange company to partner with. I also prefer its speed and the 2v2 format over the 3v3 format, personally.

Oh... and it had Doronjo and Polymar (one of my main teams). And Alex. <3

God I love that game.

powderedtoastman said on August 8, 2011 at 8:20 p.m.

@#21
Yea it wasnt free, which i made aware of during my breakdown of fighting against people, with them sitting on 5 meters delaying their deaths. Yea it was risky to use but at the same time can keep the other person in check as in my example.

Wouldnt call mega crash a comeback factor as it does no damage or gives boost just gives you another chance to fight back. And xfactor is a one time deal, baroque and megacrash are regainable resources. cant compare really. Also baroque is more like xfactor which im sure is what you meant. :D

Yea i wouldnt call TVC a bad game, i just dont like it when matches boils down to stallers. Get frustrated and cant enjoy my wins. Plus i played on the classic controller(wii) and man that didnt help when it came to chasing people >:( thought the xbox controller was bad for fighters atleast i can somewhat default to the analog on it. the Wii controller is bad all around.

TheDeadTexan said on August 8, 2011 at 10:55 p.m.

Holy crap, I would kill for TvC2 HD.