Posted by Who Is Alpha • August 2, 2011 at 4:20 p.m. PDT
Tekken X Street Fighter: Harada fills in on how fireball characters will be made Some news regarding Tekken x Street Fighter was posted today on a few websites, and they involve the Tekken series producer Katsuhiro Harada explaining his approach on how to implement fireball characters into TxSF. Here's a snip of one of the articles, and the entire thing can be found on Eurogamer.net.

Harada: "When you look at executing a fireball in a 2D setting, it works almost like a jab. It keeps your opponent where you want them." "When we bring fireballs into Tekken X Street Fighter, there are two different ways we could go. It could be used as something similar to keep your opponent in the place you want, or it could be some kind of a special move or powered-up version of their techniques. We've not decided on what route we want to take with this yet."

Here's a snip from another article. For the entire thing, please hit the link to Siliconera.com.

Harada: "Hmm… trying to recreate Street Fighter into our engine wouldn’t please the fans of Street Fighter or Tekken. Instead, I’ll make this game more Tekken-like," Harada answered in a Siliconera interview. "I’ll probably give Ryu more up close techniques when he’s put into our game. The Tekken characters have a whole lot of techniques compared to Street Fighter so we’ll add more cool moves and variations. It’s still the Ryu everyone knows, but with that added to him."

Comments

PorkedRice said on August 2, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.

I think the fireballs should be one of those unblockable, charged up moves that's the same as Devil Jin's laser or Alisa's rocket punch. It'll keep the Tekken style feel and in the Street Fighter animated movies, Ryu doesn't shoot Hadokens like a simple toss, he charges up for a while.

zUkUu said on August 2, 2011 at 4:28 p.m.

^nah. hadoken was never considered something likea ultra or something.

I'd rather let them REALLY fast but simply sidestepable. maybe even unblockable like jin's laser (but not duckable). that seems like it would fit best in the tekken gameplay.

senpai said on August 2, 2011 at 4:31 p.m.

I trust Harada san will execute this successfully..however i can't help but to be somewhat nervous.

MugenLord said on August 2, 2011 at 4:33 p.m.

Make it like what #1 said it makes much more since that way or have it implemented in a combo or something.

Existent said on August 2, 2011 at 4:37 p.m.

Hadokens are in fact portrayed as ultra level attacks in non-videogame media. It's not a bad idea.

lordgootecks said on August 2, 2011 at 4:37 p.m.

I think it could be like chun in mvc3, where it's for stun not space

sickthink said on August 2, 2011 at 4:38 p.m.

Ohhhhh, I can see Ryu's donkey kick smashing another character half-way across the screen now!!

GothLawyer said on August 2, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.

They'll have to give the SF characters a lot of new moves. Most Tekken characters have 80+ moves in their command list.

Oroku_Saki said on August 2, 2011 at 4:41 p.m.

Kind of like Gon's fireball from Tekken 3, and Kuma's + Yoshimitsu's "fireballs" which were farts + burps respectively, if I'm remembering correctly.
Although I think the fart was an instant kill if the opponent got hit by it.
Instant kill Ryu would be terrifying...
...oh damn, are we going to see Gouki fart whilst doing a tatsu and instant killing.
One can only dream ¬_¬"

GamePirate420 said on August 2, 2011 at 4:43 p.m.

What is Ryu without spamming fireballs all match?

I wanna see Akuma's raging demon dodged by stepping to the side!

Simply

Guile's should cover horizontal space BUT be duckable.
Ryu's fireball cannot be ducked or jumped over but can be side-stepped.

Kenshiro said on August 2, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.

Looking forward to this version more than anything else.

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on August 2, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.

last time i touched Tekken was when i was 11 and it was Tekken 3

looking forward to this TXSF but IMO i think SFTXT is gonna blow it out of the water, just like SF4 did with Tekken6

dont get me wrong Tekken fans, i like the game, its just not as appealing to me (and im quite sure a lot more people)as SF. but dont judge a book by its cover so...

Rafael2487 said on August 2, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.

Harada is in danger in this one,
He knows the fury of the community
he wont just do some drastic moves,,
And yeah agree with #8

Why not add a parry type move where
tekken characters can just parry those fireballs..
or you can just crouch to avoid it,,
Interesting topic here,,

genocideSX said on August 2, 2011 at 5:02 p.m.

honestly, im just glad to hear some TXSF news :/

BFPhony said on August 2, 2011 at 5:02 p.m.

cant wait to see ryu with 60+ moves.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on August 2, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.

I agree with #1 and #4. Anything else sounds too complicated.

CrashAndBurn2008 said on August 2, 2011 at 5:08 p.m.

@#2 - Yes, the Hadouken was basically like a super move in Street Fighter (1). It was difficult to perform, slow to come out (yet not travel) and took off anywhere from 1/5 to almost 1/3 damage on your opponent when it hit. If they treated Hadouken like Denjin Hadouken it would be cool, also, even though you can side-step into a third dimension in Tekken, they could easily just make projectiles "heat-seeking" (horizontally and laterally , yet not vertically) so they would always follow the opponent. Therefore you could still sidestep normal attacks, and jump projectiles, but not sidestep them.

ShotoSchool said on August 2, 2011 at 5:17 p.m.

Street Fighter in the animes all fighters have moves and combos for ex. SF The Animated Movie and Street Fighter IIV. they can easily add some of those moves in TxSF

Raven said on August 2, 2011 at 5:19 p.m.

Tekken is 3D...so really, I'm not sure how well it'll work. I wonder, is this going to be a tag based game?

Kenshiro said on August 2, 2011 at 5:20 p.m.

No giving a tracking property to moves like a simple Hadouken or any projectile like it is retarded.

That would be strike 1 AND 2 for this version to compete with the other on a serious level.

CrashAndBurn2008 said on August 2, 2011 at 5:22 p.m.

Sorry about double post, but I just wanted to add that I am very excited to see how Harada-San and his team redesign Bison/Vega/Dictator in this game! Should be very interesting! :)

CrashAndBurn2008 said on August 2, 2011 at 5:27 p.m.

Kenshiro, I didn't want to convey "simple" Hadoukens having tracking, that's why I mentioned SF1 and Denjin. I don't think Ryu or any other plasma-chucker should be able to spew out endless projectiles like they do in a SF-engine based game in a Tekken-engine based game. Why not really see what these characters will be like in the Tekken world and not try to SFize Tekken? Isn't that what SFxTK is for?

Kenshiro said on August 2, 2011 at 5:28 p.m.

#9 yes Kuma's fatal wind is instant kill, yet you have to be so damn close to your opponent for it to hit. Best used for downed opponents head facing you.

#11 Tekken has always been awesome, SF just got the "correct" formula for a faux 3D game. It's hardly blowing any franchise that consistently has the right idea "outta the water".

Kenshiro said on August 2, 2011 at 5:33 p.m.

#24 of course and I trust the Namco side to do an awesome job. Every Tekken character has a 1 hit kill but I really only want 3 characters to have a fireball finisher. The move has a "tell" and still avoidable but make it real time like Jinpachi's

genocideSX said on August 2, 2011 at 5:35 p.m.

hmm...personally dont want to have to charge a hadouken in this game. i also dont want to have to get into a combo to do it either. i would rather them do the same concept that sf does. like the projectile has to either dispers on impact (when blocked) or when it leaves the screen before you can do another one. also instead of fast projectiles, i think they should do the speed of a down forward light punch from sf4. cause any faster than that this game could easily get annoying :P

caruga said on August 2, 2011 at 5:40 p.m.

I'm surprised they haven't figured this out at this stage. Taking their sweet time.

anon1010 said on August 2, 2011 at 5:43 p.m.

They should just nix fireballs completely and just make all SF characters have their own fighting style Tekken style.

RyuForever said on August 2, 2011 at 5:47 p.m.

@29 Wouldn't that disrespect every SF fan out there?

anon1010 said on August 2, 2011 at 5:53 p.m.

How so? It wouldn't disrespect me and I love SF. It's not like they can get away with spamming fireballs in a Tekken game anyway, much like how Tekken characters can't get away with insanely long juggle combos in SFxT. Besides, seeing a Ryu that can bust out juggle combos or a chain grabbing Zangief personally makes me excited.

xShonuffx said on August 2, 2011 at 5:54 p.m.

Harada is gonna have a helluva time doing this. SFxT seems like a no-brainer compared to this. I wish him luck.

RyuForever said on August 2, 2011 at 6:03 p.m.

@31 Well you got a point there though.I guess I wouldn't mind the SF characters having alot of moves in this game,since pretty much all of the SF element is on SFxT.

StellarSTLR said on August 2, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.

If the fireball is used for spacing then it should have some type of recharge time on it for spamming reasons. Not to long, just saying enough time so there's not always a fireball on screen.

As for the fireballs function. It could be to force your opponent to use a specific pool of moves, like a block, roll or dodge. Predicting what to do if a fireball is close/mid/long range can become a "If I dodge/block/roll a fireball from this range against Ken can he punish me?" type thing.

EVOBiohazard said on August 2, 2011 at 6:16 p.m.

That's the right way to go, make the SF characters more like Tekken characters. That's the point of making two versions of the games :) If the gameplay looks awesome I might get this version too! :)

MALDA said on August 2, 2011 at 6:38 p.m.

jmastaflash1000 said on August 2, 2011 at 6:53 p.m.

I can't wait for this game.
think of all the character that will be in this game. i hope there will be a customize mode like in T5-6. Hopefully there won't be any DLC characters OR ANY RE-RELEASES OF THIS GAME.

InI_Warrior said on August 2, 2011 at 7:03 p.m.

I think Soul Caliber vs Mortal Kombat would be an awesome game!

Tabris said on August 2, 2011 at 7:23 p.m.

Like Ryu's Ultra in this?

aridarron said on August 2, 2011 at 7:49 p.m.

Everyone's making a big fuss over nothing, just let them side step the damn projectiles SIMPLE! but make them slightly slower so in that way you would only use them during combos and wake-ups, I'm thinking it may end up looking alot like the street fighter EX games(I always thought that game needed sidestepping) but with much more combos.

NyuBomber said on August 2, 2011 at 8:04 p.m.

I have faith Harada and Co. will make it fun and loyal to the SF franchise while still being distinctly Namco/Tekken. Gonna be fun!

shadow050 said on August 2, 2011 at 8:25 p.m.

yah, in movies and such, hadouken's are ultra powerful attacks. see the sf movie if need be.

as for how it should be handled... as unblockables would be fine, and sidestepping makes sense. being able to sidestep projectiles makes perfect sense in all honesty. it'd be interesting to see vega in a game like tekken lol... i know he won't be in it. hard to imagine him doing wall dives when some stages don't even have them lol, and the game has never been as... idk "jumpy" as SF.

i think this will all work out great. these guys are ver proud, and they're not about make a fool out of themselves by releasing some true "crap" of a game that's so highly anticipated.

Sektah84 said on August 2, 2011 at 9:14 p.m.

I think they should go the route of the anime flicks like some folks have stated. The only time fireballs came out was after they beat the crap put of each and wanted to finish it off. I don't wanna see ex plus @ again I want to see something unique I'm sure it can be done. Im looking foward to this version more than capcoms. I'm guessing summer/fall of 2013 for this game.

coffeerox said on August 2, 2011 at 9:33 p.m.

I have an idea. Ryu uses Shotokan Karate right? Why not add Shotokan Karate moves in there? One of the big letdowns of the latest Tekkens have been moving away from traditional martial arts and creating unknown fighting style characters and fan service characters instead. I'd like to see them go back to traditional martial arts.

For example, Guy can use Ninjutsu with his attack strings intact, Chun Li can use Kung Fu with a focus on legs, Juri can be Taekwondo (as there are already two TKD characters in Tekken, an SF one would complement the cast)

cadnexus said on August 2, 2011 at 9:48 p.m.

Ever played King of Fighters Maximum impact? The game was fully 3d and had 8 way movements. All characters that had projectiles used their signature projectitles. The game was fast and worked well. Ryu should keep his fireballs the same way because it can be dodge with 8 way movements and it can still work well. There's no need to change that at all.

halo said on August 3, 2011 at 12:44 a.m.

Being a huge 2D fighting game fan and generally avoiding 3D fighters i am biased into thinking that TXSF won't be my favorite of the 2. I also think that Capcom's massive experience with varied types of fighters ranging from SF to MVC and Ono's enthusiasm will translate better into SFXT. I hope both games end up being awesome but i somehow have less faith in Namco than i do in Capcom

yes4me said on August 3, 2011 at 2:17 a.m.

Does it come on PC? ^_^
Does the SF char have X factor? =)

JIHADJOE said on August 3, 2011 at 3:14 a.m.

In the SF2 movie they fought a lot like Tekken or VF characters. I remember Ryu and Ken kept doing PPK combos, and the Hadouken was basically a charged up cinematic ultra.

It could work pretty well that way.

JJMain said on August 3, 2011 at 4:40 a.m.

Harada-san can do something like Street Fighter EX games

RA_MO said on August 3, 2011 at 4:56 a.m.

Honestly in the end who really cares what any of us think about his ideas for this game... Wether you like Tekken or not and all the complaints you could possibly come up with... It is still here and it still sells just like any other successful fighting game. I do not care about sales comparing either because it is not what I am interested in. The fact of the matter is that Tekken must be doing something right if it has managed to keep going in popularity and sales. I understand that this is a street fighter forum and what not but like I said before... it is going to be shared with more and more games so we might as well try a little harder than this to get along. I mean you guys are already crapping on this guy's ideas and concept of the game without giving it a fair chance. What makes it worse is there is physically no gameplay yet and already in your eyes Harada is a failure... I honestly believe if any of you are true fans of your beloved street fighter... Then let the man make it.. Do not bash him until the final product is release and if it sucks as much as you say... Then to some degree your opinion will hold "some" form of value. I mean there were some people who believed this entire concept was a waste on both sides and now after given at least the capcom side the benefit of the doubt.. More of you have actually taken a liking to it... So just because the other half is made by Namco... Why can it not be given that same chance. Hell you guys gave Marvel a chance and look where it is now. Same with SNK... Once again do not care about similarities between the two.. I already know them... Fact is that they were still given a chance. Just let these guys do their job and make top selling games and let us all continue to be for the most part, the brainless zombies who will continue to pay them for our fighting game fixes..

If most of you who complain about how games are unbalanced and mechanics and whatnot could actually make a better game than these 15-20+ year Corporate monsters could... Then you would have done so already instead of posting in forums about you million dollar ideas.

FYI this is not directed to everyone... Just those who I notice complain just a tad too much.. and there is a chance that if you feel you must reply to me in some form or revenge or whatever you want to call it just to make yourself feel better.. You are problem one of the ones I am referring to.

Anyways... Good luck to both compnanies and all future crossover and non crossover titles to come.

Temtt said on August 3, 2011 at 5:49 a.m.

"I wanna see Akuma's raging demon dodged by stepping to the side!"

LOL...epic!

jinkazama99 said on August 3, 2011 at 6:05 a.m.

Ok I think for Ryu, just make him do a karate stance, and during the stance, he can do a fireball motion to do a fireball, like Jin's demon stance.

Example: Ryu knock down opponent, straight into Karate stance, fireball motion + 2 punching button, fireball comes out. or He can press the kicking button to do the overhead stomp, like Evil Ryu in arcade edition, y'know, give him some mixup.

I can totally see this working well!

streetman88 said on August 3, 2011 at 7:22 a.m.

I would really like to see what they would do to Chun lis fire ball. Since she dosent spam hers like other plasema throwers hers would be like a combo starter where she would simply walk or dash behind it for offensive pressure like how she does in most SF games and also a long combo list of different Chinese Kempo like Kung-fu moves also some Tai-chi moves as well since in earlyier SF games her moves where consider Tai-chi and also Whu-shu as well...WOW i never really noticed this but shes sorta like a swiss army-knife of various Chinese martial arts which is freaking Awesome.

boobee_cakes said on August 3, 2011 at 8:59 a.m.

I think that if they make the projectiles faster then they are in SF, they can still add pressure to the opponent. They are still blockable, but chip will be very minimal.

This is just a tricky situation overall. it's very easy to make the SF characters either too strong, or too weak. I play Tekken very casually, last time I played it feverishly in my youth on PS1. This might just get me back into Tekken.

RA_MO said on August 3, 2011 at 3:37 p.m.

@boobee_cakes

The only problem is and this is the "only" problem lol.. Is that Tekken does not do chip damage (granted unless you turn it on in options but, other than that it is never used). Either the move hits you and you take damage or you block it and nothing really happens except for block stun (in some cases with unblockables you will be hit on block and you will be hurt but we all knew that). I think how they will actually fight with all new moves should be the focus of this game at the moment. Combos and projectiles can come later.I mean in the Tekken world projectiles do exist but have minimal use. With all of this sidestepping and koreans introducing that crazy sidestepping, I really thing the street fighters projectiles will still be used but will wind up like kings massive list of chain throws: You know its there but you will most likely never really get to use it effectively.

aridarron said on August 3, 2011 at 9:54 p.m.

although he gets no love I would like to see El Fuerte in this game, he would be perfect for it,

ken and ryu has to be in without a doubt but what can they do about guile? starting with a character who just has two special attacks and try to develop 60+ for him sounds like a pain. no guile for TXSF maybe.