Details, covers & images for Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • April 12, 2011 at 10:07 a.m. PDT
To consolidate the barrage of information that was released concerning Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition this morning, the details are broken down in this story.

If you're curious about when the PC version of the game will be released, when the retail disc will hit North America or other such details, look below. If you want to see the official trailer and some gameplay footage, check out this story.

Main information

DLC release date: June 7, 2011
DLC Price: $14.99 USD or 1,200 Microsoft Points
Disc release date: June 24, 2011 for Europe, 28th in North America, 30th in Japan.
PC release date: July 2011.
Platforms: PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Roster size: Right now Capcom states there are 39 people on the roster, with the additions of Yang, Yun, Evil Ryu and Oni.

Cover of PS3 and Xbox 360 versions

Click images for larger versions

Features rundown

• Updated Character Balancing: Features all new character balancing, further refining gameplay. According to the trailer, it's the same balancing that's in the current Arcade Edition, although rumors maintain there will be additional tweaks.

• All playable SSFIV characters will be unlocked out of the box, including Yun & Yang, Oni, and Evil Ryu.

• There will be alternative costumes for Yang, Yun, Evil Ryu and Oni.

Updated Replay Channel

• Replay Follower: Be able to follow up to 5 separate player replays making it easier to find your favorite players’ latest replay.

• My Channel Advanced: Allows players to distribute their replay data to up to 50 players.

• Elite Channel: Watch replay data from elite players who have a rating of 3000 player points (PP) or more.

More screen shots

High resolution artwork

Street Fighter 4 series ends with Arcade Edition

In a recent interview, Capcom's Seth Killian stated that the Street Fighter 4 series will end with Arcade Edition, you can find more details here.

Gameplay trailers

You can find the gameplay and features trailers that were released today here.

Contributions to this story by Yen Chen.

Comments

Mangosentennial said on April 12, 2011 at 10:09 a.m.

awesome, though a bit sad we wont see any extra characters besides the 4

king_e_dawg said on April 12, 2011 at 10:09 a.m.

Well FINALLY they get the covers right.

Virtua_Kazama said on April 12, 2011 at 10:10 a.m.

Ok, sold on the DLC. Unless you want to buy the Disc to add to your collection...

Oh yea, PC fans ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!

Doopliss said on April 12, 2011 at 10:10 a.m.

That cover is kinda lazy, but still looks quite nice.

shano said on April 12, 2011 at 10:12 a.m.

Why would they release the disc 2 & a half weeks after the dlc release? i would much rather buy the disc release :(

CoastalmixX said on April 12, 2011 at 10:12 a.m.

@1: I wouldn't be surprised if they announced new characters shortly after the June/July release. :D

abcbadcat said on April 12, 2011 at 10:12 a.m.

That cover is pretty clean. like.png

goukibuki said on April 12, 2011 at 10:16 a.m.

Damn Capcom. Definitly downloading the DLC, but who am I kidding. I'm going to pick up the disc as well. Not only do I enjoy the cover art, but when i head to my friends house, it'll be much easier then hoping they have the DLC.

Rvo2099 said on April 12, 2011 at 10:17 a.m.

DLC and PC, great! I'll probably get both.

I'm sure there will be more characters... via DLC.

"Money machine, start your engine!"

Creeper said on April 12, 2011 at 10:18 a.m.

How is the PC release so soon? Ono said development just started. When he said it would take I while, I thought that meant like late 2011.

I wonder if people who buy the disc get anything special like if you owned vanilla and got colors 11 and 12 in chocolate?

Rvo2099 said on April 12, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.

@Creeper

I've read that all titles are first developed in a PC platform, and then ported to Xbox/PS3.

So, if this is true, the PC version is actually done before the consoles versions. ;)

GUNNAH_MAN said on April 12, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.

just to make sure ppl understand, if you don't buy the AE dlc/disc you can still play ppl who have it due to ssf4 getting a free patch that gives you AE balancing, the only things you'll miss out on are the characters and possibly the new replay channel

kpxcho said on April 12, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.

BREAKING NEWS. EVO TOP 8 RESULTS.

1.YUN
2.YANG
3.YUN
4.YUN
5.AKUMA
6.MAKOTO
7.YANG
8.YANG

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on April 12, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.

Yun and Yang, front and center. I'm surprised they aren't the only ones on the cover...

GUNNAH_MAN said on April 12, 2011 at 10:24 a.m.

*new characters

SquidBiskets said on April 12, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.

I wonder if you buy the physical disc if it will show up as a new game on you xbox or PS3

Zanomaru said on April 12, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.

aka the clones cover

Hypermarth said on April 12, 2011 at 10:29 a.m.

@#13

What about Fei Long?

geni said on April 12, 2011 at 10:38 a.m.

so no other characters other than oni,E.Ryu,Twins? lasz bastards Capcom

Hrm said on April 12, 2011 at 10:41 a.m.

I keep holding out hope that there will be more characters, but I guess it's just not going to happen.
I just want to see some SF1 characters get represented in a current gen fighting game. I mean, we got Ryu/Ken(Obviously), Gen, Sagat, and Adon, and Birdie and Eagle got to have a go in Alpha and CVS2 respectively(I'd like to see them show up again, still), but what about the rest of them? We've yet to see Joe, Mike, Geki, Lee, or Retsu make an appearance outside SF1.

KAZZNORE said on April 12, 2011 at 10:41 a.m.

PC? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS

This made my freaking day.

BlankaBeast said on April 12, 2011 at 10:43 a.m.

I hear you brother!!

PC FTW!

These games are gonna be SO SWEET on PC! WHERE DO I PREORDER?! Take my money, PLEASE!! lol

Kratos94 said on April 12, 2011 at 10:48 a.m.

Whats the difference between the DLC and the Disc?

Sektah84 said on April 12, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.

Well I'm glad it's $14.99 it's a decent price I'll def be picking it up. It would make sense to cop the disc though if you been waiting.

RandomDP said on April 12, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.

Really? Only 4 new characters?

I really hate to sound whiny but its pretty disappointing when you look at the new characters, half of them are models taken from the current roster. I would have really liked them to bring in other characters from past SF games that offered a unique playstyle (i.e.: Rolento, Eagle, Elena, Oro, etc) or put in the time and effort to design totally brand new fighters.

I'll still be getting this like everyone else here but I can't help but feel like all they did here was the bare minimum to charge people more for the same game without the consumers being all up in arms about the lack of new content/features.

his1nightmare said on April 12, 2011 at 10:52 a.m.

Cool, as if any PC gamer is caring anymore.
Go away Capcom and die in a fire.

KAZZNORE said on April 12, 2011 at 10:56 a.m.

@ #23

The DSC you can probably play it at your friend's house... maybe?

and the DLC not so much.

AeriALs said on April 12, 2011 at 10:56 a.m.

The version that is in the arcades is identical to a pc version, so it takes them 2 seconds to change it to pc version. Although they will be making adjustments since the twins and Fei Long are a bit retarded at the moment.

kirbykirbykirby said on April 12, 2011 at 10:57 a.m.

Juri should have been on the cover but oh well. I hope the disc has like the recent costumes or something extra.

darko_p86 said on April 12, 2011 at 11:01 a.m.

how much will the disc be? say you have your account on 4 ps3's 5th with your ps3, and you get AE dlc, then you get a YLOD. but you forgot to deactivate your acc and all the ppl you lend out your accounts to arent your bud's anymore. that means you gotta get a new acc. or get the disc.

thats why i wnat to know. how much wil the disc be?

Chaide said on April 12, 2011 at 11:01 a.m.

@10 I'm actually curious about that, as well. I bought SF4 and costumes on the PC, and it didn't transfer over to SSF4 on the 360 so I had to go ahead and purchase the costumes on Vanilla 360 to unlock them.

I'll just assume they'll roll over if you already have them on Vanilla PC, or maybe already be included? Who knows.

darko_p86 said on April 12, 2011 at 11:02 a.m.

and why is bison in the middle of oni and e.ryu? makes me think capcom got something up the sleeve for him as well.

UnTi said on April 12, 2011 at 11:02 a.m.

#27 The modern gamers don't have offline friends, so they won't bother with it! looool

Necreon said on April 12, 2011 at 11:04 a.m.

I just wanted to give up all my remaining hope about the PC port, but damn, it's coming, and even better, it's almost here!

After that 2 years I spent with vanilla SF4 (1 year spent with watching happy console players playing SSFIV), it's finally here!

You guys simply can't imagine that smile I do now. Even Joker can't.

Cinderkin said on April 12, 2011 at 11:06 a.m.

I'm very happy about a Disc Based version, even if it's just to install to the HDD and you play the game with Super. This way I can take my game anywhere, and not have to worry about being online for it to work.. Also the PC release is great, because with all the cool costume mods for SF4. I'm looking forward to this. I will be working at E3 so I won't be playing the DLC. So I might as well wait for the Disc version.

VanCityPlayboy said on April 12, 2011 at 11:13 a.m.

RandomDP and Mangosettinal

Ono will never get to the bottom of this and I won't be surprised the last 2 characters see their fate and never revealed including this

I really wish Ono got to the bottom of this

VanCityPlayboy said on April 12, 2011 at 11:16 a.m.

Sad no Alex, this game seems so incomplete without him

tokyobassist said on April 12, 2011 at 11:16 a.m.

I got couple question. Does the disc version contain all the costumes and does it operate as a new disc or is it an add on that works with the SSF4 install data?

chickenwings said on April 12, 2011 at 11:21 a.m.

this my be a stupid question but is the disc the same price as the dlc???

GothLawyer said on April 12, 2011 at 11:37 a.m.

Am I the only one that doesn't think it's worth it? It's really just four new characters and I don't find any of them to be all that interesting...

Hitstick said on April 12, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.

It would be wise to wait for the disc.

DarkSamus said on April 12, 2011 at 11:42 a.m.

Very much so

duckmouth said on April 12, 2011 at 11:43 a.m.

@chickenwings

1200 MS Points or $14.99 for the DLC, $39.99 for the disc.

ID99 said on April 12, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.

they also said that super was the last to the sf4 series, so....
how many months until the new patch?

JanTheMan said on April 12, 2011 at 11:46 a.m.

Do we get something for SSFIVAE by having SFIV/SSFIV?
Like... more free alts? colors?

TheDeadTexan said on April 12, 2011 at 11:49 a.m.

Where did you get the pricing for the disc version?

The_True_Gouki said on April 12, 2011 at 11:50 a.m.

Man, Gouki finally up on the cover like he belongs and his other hand doesn't even match. Damn it Capcom. You almost had me for both DLC and disc but f*ck that cover. Shoushi! Still looking forward to Oni though.

SaintAvi said on April 12, 2011 at 11:55 a.m.

Jeez capcom, the tail end of the month for AE disc release?

Also crossing fingers for all costume alts to be included on the disc release.

U4iA27 said on April 12, 2011 at 11:56 a.m.

@38 - at 40 bucks it better come with all the previous costume packs + the one for the twins,oni and e ryu(and maybe some new ones).anything less is a automatic 15 bucks for the dlc instead.
@40 - sounds like salt to me.ae is more than just the new chars.its the balance changes that killed most turtling tactics to give us the more offensive oriented game we've been bitching 4 since vanilla.

SAMURAI said on April 12, 2011 at noon

@ U4iA27

Now everyone's gonna be bitching about the dive kicks.

chickenwings said on April 12, 2011 at 12:01 p.m.

the turlting wasnt fixed, u need to adjust the game mechanics, not just add more dive kicks.

NINJA said on April 12, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.

I can see Akuma's half body cutout on the cover. Who are these people that work on these covers? Such lazy and imperfectionists. It's like the cover it's some random joke montage. Give me the job.

Sinisterslam said on April 12, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.

Hmm... $40 for disc.. I HIGHLY doubt it's going to come with all the costumes. Woulden't they make more money if they made you buy it all separately? The costumes wont be included, only the new characters. Maybe for the PC version.

DanceInTheDark said on April 12, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.

Question, Since SFIV was Vanilla, and SSFIV Was Chocolate, can we call SSFIV AE Caramel? =] Deliciuos!

Hitstick said on April 12, 2011 at 12:10 p.m.

@chickenwings: You are correct, the SF4 game engine is the same..Turtling is still it. New characters being added doesn't change that.

Necreon said on April 12, 2011 at 12:13 p.m.

Any info about steamworks compatibility with the PC version? Or can we buy it from steam like we could buy vanilla?

fabulos said on April 12, 2011 at 12:20 p.m.

will the costumes be included on the disc?

Sinisterslam said on April 12, 2011 at 12:27 p.m.

Why do people keep saying that's it for the roster? Of course there are 2 more yet to be announced. If you look at the character select screen, its uneven. There are 2 empty slots that are just randomly there, capcom usually dosent make character select screens uneven, plus there's that picture ono released of dhalsim burning someone, an unknown character. I guarantee there are 2 more left to be revealed.

DarkSamus said on April 12, 2011 at 12:34 p.m.

Box art for PC version...

The_True_Gouki said on April 12, 2011 at 12:37 p.m.

#58 Sinisterslam

Setting your hopes up for nothing there bud. Not to mention let go of that damn idiotic troll pic of Sim burning a fighter. It is no one new and at best someone's unseen alternate costume. Some of you people hold on to false hope like no tomorrow! Hate to tell you the already blatantly obvious but you will just be crushed later when your wishful thinking doesn't exist.

Ps, were you one of the morons dead set on Oni some how being Gouken? Shoushi!

NINJA said on April 12, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.

@DanceInTheDark

No, since all that was stupid we can call it SSFIV Arcade Edition.

wettrix said on April 12, 2011 at 12:44 p.m.

Nice it finally comes to the PC, It should be released earlier ><. Don't want to wait until july.

Chaide said on April 12, 2011 at 12:44 p.m.

@59 Well, looks like it's still Games for Windows, so I assume any Costume Packs from Vanilla will roll over. July can't come soon enough!

C2Q said on April 12, 2011 at 12:48 p.m.

fap.jpg

crispylinks77 said on April 12, 2011 at 12:48 p.m.

Hahahaha, so now can I bash Capcom for this stupid, retarded game?

They blatantly unbalanced the roster; everyone is unviable except for Yun, Yang, Makoto, and Fei. And then they don't add any other new characters.

All the people that said "have faith in Capcom, there will be more characters" can suck it! :)

DarkSamus said on April 12, 2011 at 12:48 p.m.

Actually, ignore my last post #59

Here is a better one...

NINJA said on April 12, 2011 at 12:48 p.m.

OF COURSE there will be NO old costumes for free on the CD. Not even SUPER had them. Only the ones from Evil Ryu, Oni, Yun and Yang will be on the disc.

goukibuki said on April 12, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.

@Folks questioning the AE Disc price:

The AE disc is meant to cover Super and AE. It's for those who did not pick up Super but want the latest version.

Otherwise those folks would have to pick up Super and download the DLC.

DarkSamus said on April 12, 2011 at 12:50 p.m.

To clarify my above post
The above is a higher res image of the PC version boxart then the first one I posted.

Mr_Clack said on April 12, 2011 at 12:56 p.m.

SSF4AE: Lazy Characters Edition

RandomJohn said on April 12, 2011 at 1:08 p.m.

For people who is already sick of the twins and are mad about Capcom for "taking the easy way out" by including E Ryu an Oni, you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it. Either that or quit the game altogether. Maybe that's why Capcom allows players to choose between regular Super or AE Super, just to accomedate both sides.

Raven said on April 12, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.

There probably will be two more characters. Only only did the rumor state DLC would be available in June...(and that was right), it made mention of two characters. Keep your head up people.

MrFystical said on April 12, 2011 at 1:30 p.m.

I agree, all signs point to another couple of characters. I don't care who, and it just might be 2 all new characters, but I would guess another female character would be included.

MALDA said on April 12, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

cvs said on April 12, 2011 at 1:36 p.m.

Looks like it's time to play dressup with ssf4 characters like there barbie dolls now on PC.

BlankaBeast said on April 12, 2011 at 1:37 p.m.

RandomJohn #71 is right, you can play Super OR AE, so no balance whining.

Awesome option.

PC never had Super so I will be playing that a lot at first.
:D

boobee_cakes said on April 12, 2011 at 1:38 p.m.

I'll be buying the disk, since my copy of the game went missing. I'm curious as to what price will be through. Here's hoping for $30, since I'm sure the SSFIV disk will be uber cheap, and they will want to make their profit off the DLC, even if burned on the disk.

Also, I want to able to just take it to a friend's place, and pop in the disk, so I'm for a disk, if the price is right.

I can also see why the disk is sold a few days after. They want the DLC to sell, as they make most of the profit off the purchase, as opposed to a disk, as they will have to deal with fighting piracy on 360, and recently, on PS3, as well as used game sales.

cvs said on April 12, 2011 at 1:45 p.m.

@77 And PC along with used games.

kryptonkandor said on April 12, 2011 at 1:54 p.m.

Just take all my money Capcom, we need to syup a direct deposit account every month so you can just funnel the money out of me :P

boobee_cakes said on April 12, 2011 at 2:05 p.m.

EDIT: I meant to write PC as well, but yeah.

SmoothJK said on April 12, 2011 at 2:16 p.m.

Awesome, PC gets AE?? Didn't expect that. Just a few days ago, I thought PC was only getting Super.

Probably not going to play on my PS3 much anymore...

U4iA27 said on April 12, 2011 at 2:16 p.m.

turtling could never be fully removed,but its been weakened to the point that its almost pointless to do.in vanilla and super,turtling was the dominate way to play.with the balance changes in AE the scales have been tipped to balance things out.the game engine isn't the problem if anything its just there to steer ppl away from mindless rushdown.ppl are bitchin bout divekicks now but neither of the twins can really take a hit so when the matchups are figured out it will be all gravy.

H3XxMAjiN said on April 12, 2011 at 2:40 p.m.

why is ibuki on the cover :/. no changes were applied to her. seems a bit too random

Pig_Red said on April 12, 2011 at 2:42 p.m.

Turtling isn't weak in AE. It's just that Capcom made rushdown characters too powerful, i.e. they gave them too many tools and not enough drawbacks to balance them out. When people say that AE is more 'aggressive', what they're really saying is that rushdown character (especially ones with divekicks) are too good in comparison to the rest of the cast.

kingofthesharks said on April 12, 2011 at 3:07 p.m.

Yee Ibuki made the front cover! =D

Sinisterslam said on April 12, 2011 at 3:10 p.m.

No, i wasen't one of those people. Clearly there are 2 empty slots. Why would they just leave them empty, especially if this is their "supposed" last installment of SF4. The character select screen would look sloppy, and retarded. I dont know about you, but when im "finished" with a project, its flawless. 2 empty slots in a MENU is just dumb.

The_True_Gouki said on April 12, 2011 at 3:22 p.m.

#84 Pig_Red

Perhaps they're really saying, learn a new technique lame turtles. You all talk like you've had so much hands on experience with the game but truly talk from your a*ses. Whether fag turtling is still strong or not, I am happy to see I'll be able to take them out even slightly easier.

#86 Sinisterslam

Happy to see you aren't a total tard. However, whether the 2 empty spaces that you claim will turn into slots, look like a finished character select screen or not, that doesn't make it fact that 2 other characters will join the fray. I am not a fan of how there are 2 empty spaces, but to act like those MUST be filled is just ridiculous at this point. I am sorry, but those will remain empty 'ugly looking unfinished' spaces until further notice, AFTER Arcade Edition is already released and after this community has found 999,999,999 other things to complain about the game.

Flashy said on April 12, 2011 at 3:22 p.m.

...Psh...I'll get it on disc...wait....

genesiskhan said on April 12, 2011 at 3:27 p.m.

for reals dlc and disk wow there pushin it i would like to have the dlc early but if its on disk i just rather wait a$$ capcom really A$$

Hitstick said on April 12, 2011 at 3:32 p.m.

Don't know what people are talking about. Just because there are more supposed rushdown chartacters i nthe game doesn't mean it's more balanced where the fighting engine is suited better to rushdown play. IT IS STILL the SF4 engine and it is a lax engine catering to campers. Nothing about the engine has changed it will be the same defensive game regardless of what they give to the supposed rushdown characters.

Ruiz said on April 12, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.

Man, PC has to be the last one too...

Regardless, thank you Capcom. You have a day one purchase from me.

Swag said on April 12, 2011 at 4:27 p.m.

nice artwork on the disc ver of ae making me want to pass on dlc and wait for the disc

Swag said on April 12, 2011 at 4:28 p.m.

capcom trying me make people buy dlc then make them buy disc too with exclusives maybe
wonder what exclusives they will include?

EL_MEXITINO said on April 12, 2011 at 4:36 p.m.

great now im confused bout gettin the AE disc, I alrddy have ssf4. so if i do get the AE disc, will all my costumes frm ssf4 be on it? i kno my achievements wont -__-

mdg164 said on April 12, 2011 at 5 p.m.

I'd rather have the disc, but I don't want to re do all those trials. I wonder if the new characters will have trials? The thought of having to do "C to shining C" again plus at least 4 more new characters is enough to keep me away from the disc!

If the disc just upgrades my existing save file like DLC, I'll wait for it.

U4iA27 said on April 12, 2011 at 5:10 p.m.

which is basically a reverse of what vanilla and super were.turtles dominated those 2 games.now its flipped and turtles still have the tools to deal with rushdown.its engraved in the fighting engine. exs with invincibility,huge reversal windows...even tho rushdown has gotten a much deserved boost,ppl still have to be cautious about how they rush ppl down. each char (for the most part) has at least 1 poke or special that beat out dive kicks clean. sure ppl are bitching about them now but the twins are still fresh,not even a year out the womb.main em and ull break em is how I always go about problem chars.turtle chars have nothing to bitch about,the engine is built to favor them even now.only now it requires more work is all.ryu can't mindlessly outfootsie ppl with low foward,guile can't stay back and throw booms all day,etc.time to take ur heads out of the shell and fight! lol

kara said on April 12, 2011 at 5:20 p.m.

cheameup said on April 12, 2011 at 6:23 p.m.

have they said yet if non dlc paying players will receive a balance update to play agaisnt AE owners ?

I hope so . the online communtiy is already shrinking to other games. hate to break it up further

Kenshiro said on April 12, 2011 at 6:55 p.m.

Yes!!! Day one purchase.

Yun and Yang will be added to my list of mains and subs.

Goukin said on April 12, 2011 at 7:27 p.m.

This has got to be the dumbest cover ever! What the heck does bison have to do with ryu akuma oni and evil ryu gouken would have made better since he is the one that us trying to stop akuma from getting to ryu. But I should be used it. He is not a high ranked character so why use him. Dumb asses

Load more comments