Seth talks Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster selection, play styles on GameSpot

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • September 28, 2010 at 1:45 p.m. PDT
Noticed over on IPW that Seth Killian had an interview with GameSpot concerning Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Not a lot of new information is covered here, but Seth talks about the character selection process and how some of the new fighters turned out.

Worth watching if you're hungry for every bit of information you can find.

If watching this 7+ minute video isn't up your alley, hit the jump for a brief synopsis.

• Capcom is around the 50% mark as far as how many characters they've revealed that will be in the game. At the time of this interview, it doesn't appear that Spider-man and Wesker were official yet, so the roster was at 20 fighters.

• X-23 has more air mobility and combo options while airborne than Wolverine. Her Berserker Barrage move is more precise as well. She can go high, medium or low with it and set up some unblockable situations when you couple her claw attack with other character's assists.

• Some people speculated that Tron Bonne wouldn't be in the game because she appeared in one of the backgrounds for MvC3, but she of course was added in regardless.

Thanks to Rwolf for contributing to this story.

Comments

ShaftyCakes said on September 28, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.

Now only if they can tell us about a PC version of MvC3...

MALDA said on September 28, 2010 at 1:47 p.m.

BlackHart said on September 28, 2010 at 1:57 p.m.

lmbao @ MVC3 for PC

TheCreator said on September 28, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

Good stuff

Darts said on September 28, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

It certainly sounds like the roster is 40+
Coolness

ShaftyCakes said on September 28, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.

@3 What seems to be the officer, problem?

Hafucken said on September 28, 2010 at 2:25 p.m.

hope the final roster would be something like 45 or 50.
in street fighter we got 35(37 arcade) characters, use one at a fight and people still want like 5 characters more.

theknight618 said on September 28, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.

That's great. Before all we had is "over 30." This puts it at 36 at the very VERY least. Hopefully 42 like everyone's guessing based on the select screen.

Darts said on September 28, 2010 at 2:43 p.m.

The interview came before Spidey and Wesker got annouced, I'd might hazard a guess at a 44+ roster.

ChunLisBoyfriend said on September 28, 2010 at 2:48 p.m.

"Worth watching if you're hungry for every bit of information you can find."

Derp? Aren't all fighting gamers itching for new information towards this game? I mean...we've only waited 10 years now and its probably gonna be the best fighting game out for a long years to come....lmfao.

kirbykirbykirby said on September 28, 2010 at 3:14 p.m.

Demo please =( for us

Faethon said on September 28, 2010 at 3:15 p.m.

I'm so sad... My hopes for Psylocke are fading away... I want Psylocke, Phoenix and Storm. Storm will definetely make it and Phoenix will be a surprise new character. So, with X-23, we already have 3 X-MEN females... This means, Psylocke will not make it for the time being...

But... Psylocke is so famous right now, she joined Wolverine in Uncanny X-Force. Plus, they could create a totally new set of moves for her, 'cause she has changed a lot through the years...

Plz Capcom, if you're reading this...

mikeyg1221 said on September 28, 2010 at 3:17 p.m.

SETH's GDLK SHIRT FOR RYU ALT DLC!!! lmaoooo!!!!

mvc3 for pc would be gdlk but they might as well release it for free.

Pandacite said on September 28, 2010 at 3:30 p.m.

I, too, wanted Psylocke. However the probability seems low to nill. Didn't know she joined x force. Just got finished reading world war hulks and siege

Darts said on September 28, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

At this point, I don't even think Magneto and Storm are likely. One or the other is, but not both.

Pandacite said on September 28, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.

Too broken. I think capcom is really concerned with balance this time around, and not seeing basically the same team uses over and over in the competitive circuit.

PikminExpert said on September 28, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.

MvC3 on PC? NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS! Damn Capcom.

BlackHart said on September 28, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.

i too co-sign psylocke.

as well as Black Panther & Strider

kirbykirbykirby said on September 28, 2010 at 3:55 p.m.

Id want psylocke just to hear her theme from children of the atom remixed. Dammmmn that's such a good theme.

ChunLisBoyfriend said on September 28, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.

I could care less that Mvc3's not on PC. And about Psylocke...YES I WANT HER IN. Capcom can balance out the characters if they wanted too...but as we know theyre lazy. If Psylockes in she'll probably be copy and pasted with a few minor changes like Viewtiful Joe got. She's still my favorite X-Men though...also, btw on October 8th THEY BETTER ANNOUNCE FRANK WEST!! FTW!!

ShaftyCakes said on September 28, 2010 at 4:13 p.m.

@20 You COULD care less?

Seriously, why do people always say that?

Pandacite said on September 28, 2010 at 4:24 p.m.

It implies that he would care less, if he cared to care at all :p

Adrock said on September 28, 2010 at 4:25 p.m.

lol anyone else liking that penis-shaped mic held up to Seth's face like that?
;)

Nago said on September 28, 2010 at 4:52 p.m.

The way he talks about how the Japanese think that unlockable characters ease people into the game sounds like it'll probably happen since they're trying to be really beginner friendly.

Besides that, new colors (Dante Trish and gray Hulk/Iron Man)look nice and I'm glad they took out 720's because it's just too fast and too much going on for that.

ShaftyCakes said on September 28, 2010 at 4:59 p.m.

@22 No, that's "I could not care less".

Look at this >_>

Pandacite said on September 28, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.

Yes yes shaftycakes. How nice of you to prove the point that human beings will to great lenghts to prove points that are utterly self reassuring. No matter how trival. Language and human communication leave room for interpritation. They are semi mallable. You understood what was mentioned. In fact maybe too well because the humor and levity of my response was lost some where between your eyes and your recreation engine. I appreciate your attempt to defend the English language, but how playhouse Disney of you.

Rwolf said on September 28, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.

Just a little correction for the synapse up top which states that "Capcom is around the 50% mark as far as development goes."
I felt that when Seth mentioned this he meant that they have showcased around 50% of the cast.

I_want_your_sister said on September 28, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.

I'll take the leaked version of MvC3 haha. BUYING?!? NO THANKS!

ShaftyCakes said on September 28, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.

@26 Great lengths? You sir don't know what Google is. So you are trying to hide your mistake by making me look like the one who made a mistake and by using typing in a more formal matter.

I don't give a sh*t. I was trying to give a tip to someone else and you came in and acted like a big shot.

P.S. Stupid EH with a word filter >_>

R4HU1 said on September 28, 2010 at 5:53 p.m.

No Akuma, no happy.

Catalyst said on September 28, 2010 at 5:56 p.m.

@Rwolf

Oops! I fixed that, also credited you.

R4HU1 said on September 28, 2010 at 6:01 p.m.

LOL ChunLisBoyfriend on blast

Pandacite said on September 28, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.

I sir was making a joke. I do, however apologize for being arogant. However defense your tip seemed spurred up by some pretty strong emotions for something that I find pretty trivial. I got annoyed, especially in believing your second comment was partly directed at my response (still think it was). I don't believe I made a mistake, but considering the nature of the internet, I do believe that caring to Google that diagram, as great lengths. I am not the only one guilty of jumping to absured conclusions, atleast my motives where not fuled by anger. And to assume I made a mistake that I needed to cover up, would imply I gave a crap about your obsession with that construct. To worry so much about someone else use of language when you clearly knew what they meant, is something I find to be absurd. I'm sorry if you disagree.

dafever said on September 28, 2010 at 6:15 p.m.

its got to have magneto and akuma plus infinite combos thats the only reason why i like playing the game so i can laugh at noobs

IrPanda said on September 28, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.

i guess he really cares.

ShaftyCakes said on September 28, 2010 at 6:39 p.m.

@35 Well he could care anything from a little to an infinite amount.

Pandacite said on September 28, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.

No infinites please. To me that's just overkill.

Sektah84 said on September 28, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.

@ 34 your the reason they gonna get rid of that inifintie crap.
Can we get silver surfer please?

VideoKid106 said on September 28, 2010 at 8:31 p.m.

44 would be more than a great number... maybe Vanessa Schneider could still have a chance...

MikeDanger said on September 28, 2010 at 9:12 p.m.

I dont think Mvc 3 will be on PC hell Im playing Mvc2 right now and also have sf3 and alpha 3 and i didnt even pay a penny for them. I did buy em on console too (Mvc2 on ps3, sf3 on ps2 collectors edition, alpha 3 psp). :P

MikeDanger said on September 28, 2010 at 9:16 p.m.

but I really want Juggernaut in this game, Iron Fist too. Strider for Capcom's sake!

Vivicakang said on September 28, 2010 at 9:28 p.m.

Dang you put a simple speculation about Tronn Bonne not appearing because of her cameo on MVC 3 and Capcom take it for a example...Im glad they used it!

kara said on September 28, 2010 at 9:58 p.m.

GreatGiovanni said on September 28, 2010 at 11:42 p.m.

Hello im contributing to EventHubs.com , Check out this new trailer for Super Street Fighter IV in the 3DS its really cool on GameTrailers.com http://www.gametrailers.com/video/jap...

Sektah84 said on September 29, 2010 at 12:37 a.m.

@43 why in the hell would a character from a completely different franchise that has nothing to do with capcom be in mvc3?! A tekken character making a guest appearance yeah since the whole sfxtekken thing going makes more sense.

Ex_Ein said on September 29, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.

Hulk over Juggernaut

sucellos11 said on October 1, 2010 at 1:37 a.m.

Hi there! I want to invite you guys to vote on these character polls:

Just see the 2nd post.

No need to register.

Thanks for your participation and time! Best luck for your characters!