Super Street Fighter 4 character usage numbers from over 4,000 matches

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • September 27, 2010 at 11:51 a.m. PDT
Super Street Fighter 4 character usage numbers from over 4,000 matches Several members of the EventHubs.com forums worked together to build a spreadsheet keeping track of how often they'd see the game's various 35 characters in online ranked Super Street Fighter 4 matches.

This project started back in July, and since that time members of the community have contributed over 4,000 matches into the database. While this can't be taken as the end all be all discussion on who the most popular fighters are online, it does paint a solid picture of what you can expect when you play ranked mode.

Hit the link below to check this out, along with a few thoughts on what was collected.

• Even though Rufus and C. Viper are somewhat common in the tournament scene, they came up dead last in this list.

• Chun-Li, M. Bison and Guile, fighters who were regarded as the top 4 characters in the tier listings were all reasonably close to the top of the list, but E. Honda, who's second overall in the tiers, showed up at 13th for overall popularity.

• Some of SSF4's new cast members had a respectable amount of players giving them a go, with Dudley, Cody and Adon all in the top 15.

A huge thanks goes out to Solamon77 and Zombiebrian, who were the biggest driving forces behind getting this in front of you. why you're viewing this project. Also, shout outs to JetX, Cammy's Hag, Professor Ezra, Ambahdextrous, Nexx, Wee Soldier, Oculus-Orbis, AXDrakul, Catalyst, AceKillah, Kogia, Comatose Lad, Vince-Veil, x Who Is Alpha, Tamaraw1971, Rachym, Wild Beard, ScytheWP, I XaVi3R I and other members of the EventHubs forums for contributing.

Comments

SmokeRulz said on September 26, 2010 at 10:52 p.m.

Not any sort of surprising.

Nice project though, guys.

mustain21 said on September 26, 2010 at 10:53 p.m.

I know that since Viper and Gen are hard to master, coming last makes sense...but Rufus?

EmeraldFont said on September 26, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.

To think that in a game with a giant Russian bear-wrestler, a fire-breathing yoga master with stretchy arms, an escaped con that fights with a knife and by throwing rocks, a Spanish ninja with a giant claw, a gentlemanly boxer that throws roses, and an oil wrestler that most people would rather just pick the same, plain, boring, stereotypical karate master that has about as much personality as a wet paper towel over and over again.

It really makes me sad. With all the characters that Capcom gives us, people would rather just have Shoto fireball wars than explore the more interesting and unique characters.

anthonyhasgame said on September 26, 2010 at 10:56 p.m.

Interesting to see that Ryu and Ken make up 1/4th of the online traffic.

If those two character were taken out of the equation character usage would be almost even across the board. Further showing there popularity.

Moyin said on September 26, 2010 at 10:56 p.m.

Amazed how few Rufus players are to be seen while online, the first and two spots are not surprise at all anyway.

TreFoxR3 said on September 26, 2010 at 10:58 p.m.

every one i hate seeying...is blanka and above....i knew thats what it look like...

SeQuarnD said on September 26, 2010 at 11:20 p.m.

yay Ken!

Zerodemise said on September 26, 2010 at 11:26 p.m.

I bet you that all those Gen matches were because of me LOL

jjohan35 said on September 26, 2010 at 11:28 p.m.

Really surprised about C.Viper and Rufus. But I personally never really liked the character designs of those two. They lack representation of any cultural or traditional fighting style. I felt both character designs, including Rose as well, belonged in the King of Fighters franchise instead of in the Street Fighter franchise.

Both strong characters in Super though.

halo said on September 26, 2010 at 11:30 p.m.

Rufus is last? I thought lots of people picked him u[p despite the hate mail

JasonLee said on September 26, 2010 at 11:31 p.m.

techwin said on September 26, 2010 at 11:32 p.m.

Omg!!! No! Really? Figured. Everytime i jump on ranked so do Ken and Ryu... and to end with a cherry on top i dream cr.mk>houdken>shoryuken>_________<- input your favorite Ryu/Ken ultra here. Seriously im starting to believe some people are just lazy and dont want to put the time into learning another character but to each his own.

BlackHart said on September 26, 2010 at 11:32 p.m.

damn only 1.39 for Deejay.

oh well, makes me unique I suppose.

PaiZuri said on September 26, 2010 at 11:36 p.m.

Daigo would be happy!

tidestick said on September 26, 2010 at 11:39 p.m.

Yup thats about right

PaiZuri said on September 26, 2010 at 11:40 p.m.

People said, "Why arent there more Ryu's in the tourney scene if he's so easy."

We werent talking about the tourney scene.
THIS is what we were talking about!

VegaBisonAbel said on September 26, 2010 at 11:41 p.m.

kinda surprised seth is so low

bubafeast said on September 26, 2010 at 11:44 p.m.

Hakan?

bubafeast said on September 26, 2010 at 11:46 p.m.

found it..

PaiZuri said on September 26, 2010 at 11:47 p.m.

#3 Your sentiment is my sentiment. But alas people love simple characters. They have since 1987!

Why try something new when the same old thing keeps working...well it didnt in SF3.

Some SSF2T pro came in and never played SF3:3S, against me. He picked Ryu and he wondered why his plain old FB and DP game wanst working. The whole club laughed his ass out.

It was refreshing to see that Capcom didnt give love to the obvious choices. I guess people didnt like that.

kaekkarot045 said on September 26, 2010 at 11:48 p.m.

I was waiting for this update..not much diferent from earlier ones though it was a great project..!

PaiZuri said on September 26, 2010 at 11:52 p.m.

Hakan RULES! u saw SRKs UltraDavid playing against TeamSp00ky pros a couple of days ago?

He was tearing it up!

tokyobassist said on September 27, 2010 at 12:05 a.m.

Ryu as the most played? No freaking way *sarcasm

I guess my ass needs to travel to get any diversity out of this game.

HawkinsT said on September 27, 2010 at 12:11 a.m.

Well obviously this survey wasn't taken by European players, C. Viper's one of the most popular characters online! Only characters I never see are Gen and Dee Jay.

Jaf said on September 27, 2010 at 12:11 a.m.

I can't believe Rufus is dead last. He just seems to get as much hate as Ryu (who I find to be a fun character against my Honda). I guess I should be glad that not many people will know the matchup?

SakuraKasuganoFan said on September 27, 2010 at 12:11 a.m.

Im Suprised sakura is like 2.29

othawize said on September 27, 2010 at 12:14 a.m.

there should be a new game room option in SSFIV : a No Ryu or Ken room. Dead serious.

caruga said on September 27, 2010 at 12:16 a.m.

I don't think Ryu is a bad character and it makes sense for him to be the most popular character, since he's a swiss-army-knife and has a cool design, however the sheer disproportion of his popularity is a bit perplexing and does make it appear that the rest of the roster is kind of wasted. I also notice a lot of the original world warriors at the top.

I'm glad Rufus is at the bottom though, he is truly repulsive. The black dude in his original design is what he should have been.

redfactor said on September 27, 2010 at 12:20 a.m.

Ugh Ryu.

Happy to see only a few Roses. Booyah! :D

juanrock said on September 27, 2010 at 12:22 a.m.

juri, ibuki and abel, my 3 main characters are together

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 12:25 a.m.

Attn: PaiZuri Haters (lol)
Remember who's #1 when I bash Daigo or Ryu.

Sethtic said on September 27, 2010 at 12:28 a.m.

Not many Seth players out there. I have played only one-two mirror matches, which is good I think. But surprised to see Sagat so high, I have played against like one Sagat player. Maybe Europe does not like Sagat.

29once said on September 27, 2010 at 12:31 a.m.

This here is a really nice idea, it would be great if it was implemented in the game. I'm surprised about Ryu, I would have thought the percent was higher. It definitely is more like 40-50% when I play online, dead serious, maybe because I play mostly against spanish players. Anyway is really annoying, playing online is like some kind of Ryu horde survival mode.

tortoos said on September 27, 2010 at 12:33 a.m.

Yeah I knew I'd fought more shotos than any other character. Ryu in particular I swear I fight ALL THE DAMN TIME. I agree we need a no ryu/ken/akuma option when you host a room. Hell maybe no shotos at all. Except dan he doesn't count because he's awesome.

Seriously though, the shotos have pretty much ruined all online play for me, If I have to fight another lousy ryu akuma or ken online I think I'm going to rip out my game and crush it in a trash compactor. This is why I loved third strike, there was actual CHARACTER VARIETY when people picked characters. You just fight the same bloody characters over and over in this game. Very disappoint

29once said on September 27, 2010 at 12:48 a.m.

Just took a look at the last 30 ranked matches I played in the battle log: 8 ryus (27%), 4 akumas (13%), 3 guiles (7%) and 3 kens (7%). There you have it, four characters, more than half the matches.

raxafrax said on September 27, 2010 at 12:50 a.m.

Rufus is last because everyone of those top characters are bad match ups against him. Shotos are bad news for Rufus. When a player starts to try Rufus and has to play Ryu after Ryu and Bison after Bison, they get frustrated and give up.

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 12:50 a.m.

Looking at the top 2...Capcom should remake Street Fighter ONE!

joker101 said on September 27, 2010 at 12:58 a.m.

People, for the love of god, it's only 4000 matches, do you even realize how small a sample size that is. Assuming July-September, 4000 matches/90 days = about 44 matches PER DAY. That's practically nothing, chill out.

Samuurai said on September 27, 2010 at 1:11 a.m.

This is proof people don't like fat characters.

Niah said on September 27, 2010 at 1:22 a.m.

@ joker101
actually, 4000 matches is a lot. if you did statistics, anything above 2000 isn't going to change the ratio very much. it's change at most 2.5%, but that's negligible

Sakagami said on September 27, 2010 at 1:25 a.m.

how can people be surprised about few CViper online,

who takes online seriously? its full of scrubs

most of them cant or dont want to learn a difficult character, and im surprised with ibuki's place. i dont come across alot of Ibuki's

but when i do they're mostly below average (no offense)

the only good ibuki players "i" fought online (on PSN) are: hitsubankai and leebuki, offcourse there are more good ones (especially japanese) but i mean im surprised other people see that much ibuki's, i almost never do, and i like i said when i see them they most of the time make me wonder why they didnt pick ryu instead cause they arent going to get anywhere with their bs, i would have expected her to be kinda low im surprised

Sakagami said on September 27, 2010 at 1:29 a.m.

the way i see alot more sakura's and dhalsims online than Ibuki's

the chart is somewhat pretty accurate i think, but some characters arent rly true.

but then again, only 4000 matches

topdawg122 said on September 27, 2010 at 1:33 a.m.

I'm reppin the small El Fuerte contingent.

ScytheWP said on September 27, 2010 at 1:37 a.m.

I just noticed. On the pie chart, it says Hakkan. Also - T.Hawk, C.Viper, and then E.honda. No love for honda...

THE_JACKAL_22 said on September 27, 2010 at 1:40 a.m.

Sagat Top 10??? I never see him hardly ever.... wow

xShonuffx said on September 27, 2010 at 1:44 a.m.

Damn people play someone else besides friggin Ryu and Ken. Jeez.

RedCycloneFTW said on September 27, 2010 at 2 a.m.

When i saw how big the percentage was for Ryu I was like damn "That's a huge B*&$H". Russian Wrestling is still #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smorgasboard said on September 27, 2010 at 2:07 a.m.

How is Ryu any less different from Dhalsim anyway? Are there a lot of barefoot hobos that can shoot fireballs out of their hands where you live?

Shredelicious said on September 27, 2010 at 2:08 a.m.

You guys should calm down about who everyone plays. Just worry about who you play.

Ryu and Ken are the original SF characters and are very comfortable territory for people. It's not a big deal.

Banzai said on September 27, 2010 at 2:14 a.m.

@ tortoos

I agree.
I could PUKE everytime i see another Ryu online. It's so freakin boring... shoryuken shoryuken shoryuken, I can't hear his voice anymore...
P U K E

Megatonbeef said on September 27, 2010 at 2:27 a.m.

At this point if your going to play Ryu you had better be exceptional at him. Everyone who plays online fights Ryu every other match so an average Ryu is half downloaded before the match.

manboy said on September 27, 2010 at 2:35 a.m.

people STILL don't realize how good e.honda is????

Nukka said on September 27, 2010 at 2:37 a.m.

Hmm..I guess I'm the only one who likes fighting Ryu, it's funny how people hate a character because other people like using him?

@Tortoos

3rd strike, character variety? hahahahaha

zombiebrian said on September 27, 2010 at 2:57 a.m.

HawkinsT - Actually a few of the players are from Europe and c.viper really isnt the common here.

over the last 2k of players the list hasnt changed all that much if anything ryu climbed a little further away. Rufus isnt easy to main online so i hear.

The list is still going so if you want to help its stickied on the forums

Banzai said on September 27, 2010 at 3:03 a.m.

@ Nukka

You are missunderstanding. I hate that character just because EVERYONE is using him AND he is the most powerfull character in the game. That's a fact, i don't wanne hear some Ryu fanboy answers like, 'oh he isn't so strong, look at X and Y'

BADerRules said on September 27, 2010 at 3:15 a.m.

Hakansoilbarrel said on September 27, 2010 at 3:17 a.m.

What is this? Who is this 'Hakkan'? Grrr....Where is the respect for oil wrestling? First, they don't include me in tier lists, then this?

I am going to write SUCH a harshly worded email today with a follow up call!

Zangief886 said on September 27, 2010 at 3:26 a.m.

Good work guys. It makes sense too, I always play as Dictator!

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 3:26 a.m.

Ryu is the best #57
He's not ez he's, just not that difficult!
You should learn to PLAY THE GAME!
Ryu is too cool for you!!
You must lose to him all the time which is why you are so jealous!!!!

Gotta go!!! another guy wants more...hey it's another RYU. LET'S ROCK!!

MIRROR MATCHES 4 DA WIN!!

SakuraKasuganoFan said on September 27, 2010 at 3:29 a.m.

Im Reppin For Sakura Chun li and Juri :D ryu and ken are the easiest people i see em 24/7 online and it bores me to see them its not really exciting to see somebody fight with ryu espically a ryu mirror match i just go on the computer and wait for it to be over...

Ingrid said on September 27, 2010 at 3:36 a.m.

yes hakan is not at the very bottom wouldnt believe c viper gen and rufus would be at the very bottom though how will capcom react to this

DEATHTRAP5000 said on September 27, 2010 at 3:45 a.m.

Ouch. I'm that 1% Dan..... Glad to see I'm somewhere on the list! :D

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 3:46 a.m.

It's almost as if people are playing based on the tier list.
Sim is good but not ez2play.

DarkCyclone said on September 27, 2010 at 3:52 a.m.

Don't know how Rufus is surprising, I barely play ANY, and the ones I play are usually beasts. Really though, he is a character with the most hideous and unappealing design. Oh and I'm cracking up at all the failed trolling attempts

Travizion said on September 27, 2010 at 3:53 a.m.

damn people use the same character

JetX said on September 27, 2010 at 4:03 a.m.

Yeah this was real fun to do, Catalys if you want I can update this for yeeeaaaars. And yes, I faught practicaly with 20 Ryus each day and a little bit of the whole roster.

SAMURAI said on September 27, 2010 at 4:06 a.m.

Surprising that Zangief and T Hawk are so low. I play against them all the time.
And Rufus last? Amazing that few people pick him up, he's so overpowered.

DuckWithAGun said on September 27, 2010 at 4:14 a.m.

Im not surprised at all with the top 4 ... i AM surprised about where my Adon and Sim are. Thought more people played as Sim and that i was the only Adon online. hmmmm guess things are different here in the EU ._.

Sektor said on September 27, 2010 at 4:19 a.m.

This whole new thing of whoring Ryu is so stupid.

It never existed in the past.
It really takes out the fun of the online mode.

AceKillah said on September 27, 2010 at 4:26 a.m.

Super Shoto Scrub Jab Jab Grab Walk Back Don't Fight Fighter 4

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 4:27 a.m.

What are you talking about?
Ryu is AWESOME dont whine because cant beat him!
Why dont you win a tourney with him if it's so easy?
Capcom made him so everyone can enjoy.
Just play him like all of and have fun!

We will make this Super Ryu Fighter 4 together!

Hrm said on September 27, 2010 at 4:28 a.m.

Completely unsurprising except Bison. I personally haven't fought that many dictators.

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 4:31 a.m.

No-one plays the other fighters because people like Ryu and his story, not because of anything else. It's obvious!
It's not like he can win with 3 moves.
He has no Get out of jail free cards like Dhalsim's teleport or Rose's Ultra 2.
Only Daigo can control him.

DJay2411 said on September 27, 2010 at 4:34 a.m.

they should change the name of this site to venthubs...it's like moan central on these comment boards. Lol

Wander said on September 27, 2010 at 4:41 a.m.

Before seeing this, I was guessing Rufus was last, I dunno if I've EVER seen one in ranked since Super came out. Makes no damn sense if you ask me.

I'm rockin that 1% with Fuerte, I wonder what the world would be like if Fuerte was chosen 17% of the time O_o;

Personally I don't mind the massive amounts of Ryu/Ken online. Like Megatonbeef said (#52), if you're not really good with your shoto of choice, you're going to lose. Hard. Any player worth a damn should be an expert at dealing with a scrub Ryu by now.

CMAyhem said on September 27, 2010 at 4:42 a.m.

interesting statistics.
the top 10 of this game is made by SS2T characters, i guess the majority of people online used to play this game when they were kids, like me.

not surprised with the Shoto World Domination thou.

PropLeXed said on September 27, 2010 at 4:57 a.m.

Lol I wonder how many of those 680 Ryu's can actually pull off an fadc ultra 1.

Smorgasboard said on September 27, 2010 at 4:58 a.m.

It makes sense actually. People do like Ryu as a character and people will play whoever they want to play regardless what other people say they should play. On the other hand, almost no one likes Rufus as a character no matter how strong he is so only a few people would pick him up.

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 5:11 a.m.

@ 80
Doesnt matter.
Ryu has MANY ways to link that SWEET Ultra!

TheMasterPlayer said on September 27, 2010 at 5:22 a.m.

Yep, Just about right. Seeing as Ryu and Ken are the faces of Street Fighter from the start anyways. Besides Cammy and Akuma, the original SFII cast are still the best street fighters even up to now! Old school always wins! lol

bbarr97 said on September 27, 2010 at 5:26 a.m.

So much whining in here about who people play. Even when I get my butt kicked playing Ryu now I will take pleasure in knowing I annoyed someone just by picking him!

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 5:31 a.m.

^^^Thats the Spirit!

R4HU1 said on September 27, 2010 at 5:36 a.m.

LOL I'm a bit disappointed that a large slice of the pie uses Ryu but I'm not the least bit surprised. He does require skill to play and he's got amazing tools but that goes for everybody else in the game too. I still think spamming uppercuts is lame but yeah... gonna go play now kthxbai.

Wardog said on September 27, 2010 at 5:39 a.m.

My boy Cody is kinda up there, so it's ok. Now lets talk about my other main character Guy.. Wow really * Profound Sadness echo* LOL. i guess that's cool too because i don't have to worry about people calling him cheap & easy win character. I work hard for my wins.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on September 27, 2010 at 5:41 a.m.

I've learn to except the Ryu's and Ken's online. They will always be there.

My account name isn't Super Shoto Fighter 4 for nothing. There was a time on Vanilla where I fought against 50 shoto's (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken)back to back on PSN.

I've got over it now and I think people should be able to whoever they want now.

Rob said on September 27, 2010 at 5:43 a.m.

Cool.
I did the same thing back in the vanilla days, but got bored of it... Luckily i saved it.

Here it is (from European PSN):
14._Sakura____5_________1,46%
15._El Fuerte_4_________1,17%
16._Fei Long__3_________0,88%
16._Viper_____3_________0,88%
17._Rufus_____2_________0,58%
17._Gen_______2_________0,58%

Sorry for the bad formatting...

Johnry said on September 27, 2010 at 5:48 a.m.

These results are probably from XBL.
The ratio of Ryus on PSN is probably closer to 30% as #89 suggests. I also disagree with the number of Bisons out there.

PaiZuri said on September 27, 2010 at 5:49 a.m.

^It's almost like nothing has changed...

Sakura said on September 27, 2010 at 5:58 a.m.

Trust me...there are ALOT of dictators out there...at least on X-box live...

scissor kick spam FTW...

Nep said on September 27, 2010 at 6 a.m.

Even Hakan is more used than Rufus? That's nuts.

TheShotokan said on September 27, 2010 at 6:27 a.m.

THTB said on September 27, 2010 at 6:34 a.m.

What is hilarious is that Rufus is dead last...when he's easier to use than a majority of the cast.

jhendrix said on September 27, 2010 at 6:56 a.m.

i know capcom make a game called ryu fighter and u can only choose ryu ..lol i bet it whould still be played by lots of ryu users what a game that whld be lolol

Hadododouken said on September 27, 2010 at 6:57 a.m.

It makes sense, considering that this is from over 4,000 matches. When you have numbers that big, both the casual and the more competitive players will be represented. A lot of people in both categories main Ryu. Most casual players would never play Rufus, because he's huge and unappealing. They also wouldn't use Viper or Gen because they're too complicated. All in all, the list makes sense in that it clearly represents both casual and competitive players and their character choices.

SmoothJK said on September 27, 2010 at 6:58 a.m.

People don't like Rufus because he's goofy and fat. Personally, I'd be a little embarrassed if my wife were to see me using a character whose ultra looked like some old cartoon (tazmanian devil).

Ryu has been the main character of the series from the start, so it's not surprising. Well-rounded character with solid tools.

BlackBeltStatus said on September 27, 2010 at 7 a.m.

Tournament players I think don't care about the usage. They just do their thing and adapt to whoever the challenge

Hadododouken said on September 27, 2010 at 7:03 a.m.

Yep.

nlarz said on September 27, 2010 at 7:05 a.m.

Ok as a Ryu mainer, I got throw in some words.

Ppl have made this pt already, but I'll make it again. Ryu and Ken are prob the most popular characters so naturally a lot of ppl use them. But think about this- Who are they Popular with?

I consider everyone on this site to be "hardcore" SF players. Because you wouldn't be here unless you were interested In learning to Improve your game/learn more about SF. So having said that, how many casual players do you think like Ryu?

I'm talking ppl who normally don't play fighting games, or don't play them as seriously as we do. Id bet a large portion of them play Ryu and Ken. They see them as the face of SF and the main characters of SF. The story is pretty much based around them. I mean they have been marketed as these cool main chars. So ppl will see them that way. No offense to these causal players but they prob suck, and resort to "noobish" tactics that piss ppl off, bc they don't know any better.

Then you have to ask yourself how much of the online community on PSN and xbl are prob more casual than hardcore?

( Its prob impossible to tell, but I'm making this a hypothetical so please humor me)

If you can somehow find how many "casual" players are online, and shave them off this percentage; Id bet you all that Ryu and ken would prob still be 1 & 2. However most likely by a much smaller margin. The percentages would prob be much more even.

What I'm trying to say is the number of "hardcore" "good" ryus and kens are prob much lower than shown by the use percentage up there. Im not saying that the other chars aren't used by causal players. But ud have to agree that more casual players go shoto than any other char type.

Just please don't group us "good" Ryus with the rest of them. And if you fight more Ryus you guys should be able to kick a noob ryu's ass pretty easily. I mean hed have to be your best match up in terms of fight exp right?

I have friends online in the 3000-4000pp range that still have fun playing me on PSN even though they know I main ryu.
Its bc I play decently enough, and use things like mind games, spacing, footsies. We play massive sets and Its still fun for them, or they wouldn't keep fighting me. And I'm sure they are Ryus out there that would be fun for you guys to fight too. Just keep an open mind.

Damn I feel like I just wrote an essay. I need a life.

L45R said on September 27, 2010 at 7:08 a.m.

Ever wondered what would happen if Ryu and Ken are removed from the game?!

Street Fighter would've been a much better game....

ButterKnife said on September 27, 2010 at 7:19 a.m.

Only one that surprises me is Abel. I would have put him in 8th on that list. I see him all the time... and he's my worst matchup...

Load more comments