Taito reveals plans for arcade digital distribution system

Posted by Catalyst
September 9, 2010 at 5:12 p.m. PDT
Alex Valle noticed that AndriaSang wrote up an article about a new digital distribution system for arcade machines.

Titled NESiCAxLive, arcade operators would download games directly to the machines off of Taito's servers, eliminating the need to buy equipment every time a new title is released.

Not only would this save money, but it also opens a back catalog of games. Taito hopes in the future that gamers will be able to select the titles they wish to play, instead of having a cabinet locked down to one specific game. Also, arcade operators could potentially store copies of titles locally for quicker distribution, as needed.

While this is probably arriving a ways too late to revive the arcade scene, lowering operating costs and offering a bigger library of games may help them survive for awhile longer. Here's a diagram explaining things a bit more.

So far nine companies have signed on to use this system, although only three of them are known at this time, SNK Playmore, Arc System Works and Cave. It seems quite likely that Capcom would have some interest in this as well, though.

Comments

Wonder_Chef said on September 9, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.

This is amazing news for the Arcade scene.

TheCreator said on September 9, 2010 at 5:23 p.m.

wow thats sick dude

Kuza21 said on September 9, 2010 at 5:27 p.m.

Hell Yes! That means I'll be able to finally purchase an arcade with all kinds of games I love...Great news.

ohgod said on September 9, 2010 at 5:31 p.m.

that's pretty great

CHMOD said on September 9, 2010 at 5:34 p.m.

Cloud gaming, I'm down for some of that! I wonder would this translate to personal candy cab owners? I would love download a new game on my Egret II, although I'm pretty sure some heavy modding would be needed to get him online.

ShaftyCakes said on September 9, 2010 at 5:39 p.m.

This looks pretty damn cool. It's also very logical.

FroggyMan77 said on September 9, 2010 at 5:52 p.m.

Well that's pretty neat. Too bad it doesn't affect us.

mag44 said on September 9, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.

(o_o)

(O_O)

(0_0)

I think I just bust a nut.....

SteadiestShark said on September 9, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.

This is awesome!

Shame the US and UK scene is long-dead. Wait, did we ever have an arcade scene in the UK?

ChunLi said on September 9, 2010 at 6:34 p.m.

@Clovr4Lyf

Hey! Leg-Warmers are coming back! >.<

MAXOUT12 said on September 9, 2010 at 6:36 p.m.

Completely off topic sorry but:

thought that might help its from game spot ty hubs

Fightingfan69 said on September 9, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.

The only reason IMO is that they charge too much per game to warrant any type of arcade scene. Going to Gameworks or Dave and busters here in AZ is expensive - charging too much for 1 play. Gameworks still charges $1 to play SF4 last time I recall. and still nearly $.50 to play some classic arcade games.

Temo said on September 9, 2010 at 6:41 p.m.

Well, that wont work on countries like Mexico, with their MAME Arcades everywhere, but it could help a lot in other countries, less into piracy.

NJCU said on September 9, 2010 at 6:43 p.m.

Wow!!! My family owns a small bar and I would not mind making a one time investment in order to have arcades in the business, as long as new games don't cost thousands. I hope more people feel the same way. Perhaps this will revive the arcade scene.

Chris_Freakin_Frost said on September 9, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.

MVC3 TRAILER EPISODE 2 OUT!!! TRON BONNE CONFIRMED!

Nyoro said on September 9, 2010 at 6:59 p.m.

This is good, but I read at Versus City that some cabs can get really expensive.

Hadododouken said on September 9, 2010 at 7:14 p.m.

Isn't Japan's arcade scene still doing pretty well?

toshi said on September 9, 2010 at 7:22 p.m.

my god, capcom is so good at cinematics lol

jjohan35 said on September 9, 2010 at 8:25 p.m.

As cool as it sounds, I don't think this is a viable system. They would have to invest more money into each arcade system so that it would be 'future proof' to support future games, which essentially would drive up costs of the hardware (then again it would also depend on how much they're saving by requiring less hardware in the long run).

Honestly though this would make it no different than sticking a console into each cabinet but with downloadable games instead.

McBison said on September 9, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.

@Fightingfan69
Adding to what Clovr4Lyf said, the fighting game arcade cabinets in Japan are set to 5 rounds.

I live in Japan(though from the US) an was told there were many more arcades in the 90s. To think that many arcades closed there business. There are no arcades around the station I live at nor at the next station but if I got 2 stations away theres one. I usually go to Akihabara Taito arcade if antything. Theres so many damn arcades there!

Around the time arcades were collapsing in the US, I remember seeing 'emulator' cabinents that seemed like it was running MAME or something. This sounds kinda similar but more powerful. Most of the larger Japan arcades have a floor dedicated to fighting games, 3D fighting games, shooter games, beat games etc. and usually separate the games by company. The only problem that I can see with this new distribution system is players may disagree on what to play. If you want to play 3S or kof13, each machine has its own place. I remember the MVS neo-geo cabinets back in the day and wanting to play SS4 but some guy was on the machine playing Magician Lord. Come to think of it, Ive never seen a multi-cart mvs cabinet here. All the old snk games have their own cabinet.
Well, if it helps keep the arcade scene alive, and causes a resurrection outside of Japan, then Im all for it.

BlackHart said on September 9, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.

Anyone notice That She-Hulk looking silhouette at the end of the Episode 2 trailer???

If it's her Imma be soooooooooooooo pissed. >8(

MisguidedAngel said on September 9, 2010 at 9:44 p.m.

The silhouette, second in from the right looks a lot like Venom...

McBison said on September 10, 2010 at 12:36 a.m.

@Clovr4Lyf
lol. I actually havent tried the McPork and never knew it never made it to the states. It seems it was seasonal so they stopped selling it. My wife said its just ok. When I first came here I was hooked on the teriyaki burger which is sold at all times. 2 years ago they had a seasonal Tandori chicken wrap. That sucker was GOOD! Strangely, when I lived in the US, I hated KFC and Mickey'Ds but I like them here. Quality is slightly better I guess and they have different choices.

McBison said on September 10, 2010 at 3:02 a.m.

@Clovr4Lyf
Agreed, service in the states is for the most part average. Then we get bags with grease stains on them lol.

My wife(Japanese) is sort of the expert on this since she worked at McD's 10 years ago! You can print the coupons from the website. Also you can go to the site on your cell phone to show the cashier the barcode of the coupon.
http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/sales/new/... <--here you can pick the coupons you want and print them.
All this talk about it is making me want to head over there! haha The new tsukimi burger and salt lemon chicken burger look so damn tasty.

Life has been good here. I do miss my friends back home but they come to visit from time to time. Ive made a few new friends here, though they live kinda far from me. I have high school friend that moved here recently so we usually hit up Akiba every once in a while.
My wife didnt change at all. We were living together for 2 years before getting married so nothing changed.

McBison has more to do with the Legend of Chunli haha
Neal McDonough played M.Bison. A buddy of mine started calling him McBison hehe. Dont know why I chose this name, I hate that movie but I do find it funny and I dont use M.Bison at all.
How long did you stay in Osaka?

Virtua_Kazama said on September 10, 2010 at 6:14 a.m.

So sexy! About damn time!

TrueUCHIHA said on September 10, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.

HEY GUYZ IM NEW HERE SO I DONT WHERE I SHOULD POST THE NEW INFORMATION AND SUCH BUT I HAZ GREAT NEWS YO. NEW CAPCOM GAME ANNOUNCED. CAPCOM VS CC2 HERES THE LINK http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthrea...

cpas

Can i has credit?...please?