Street Fighter X Tekken producers talk shop on CVG

Posted by Catalyst
September 9, 2010 at 11:06 a.m. PDT
Street Fighter X Tekken producers talk shop on CVG CVG has another interview with Capcom's Yoshinori Ono and Namco's Katsuhiro Harada, of course talking about their upcoming crossover titles involving the Street Fighter and Tekken franchises.

There are a few new bits of information that pop up here, but since these games are so early in development, these guys mostly just cover the aspects and things they're looking at currently.

Here's a quote from the article.

Do you think Harada-san has a bit of an advantage since his game is coming out after yours?

Ono-san: These two games are in the fighting genre, so generally speaking they're in a similar field. However, Tekken and Street Fighter are very different games, distinctively different, so because Tekken is 3D fighting and Street Fighter is 2D if Harada's Tekken X Street Fighter came out first, it isn't going to help me much to do anything because it has no relation to what I'm doing, and vice versa for Harada, my game won't help him. So in that sense there's no advantage for either of us because we're doing very different projects separately.

Harada-san: When you look at the game that Ono is working on, he's presented some of the footage at Gamescom and Comic-con before that, and I think the fans have a pretty good idea of what to expect from that. On the other hand just because of the gameplay features of Tekken and then taking the Street Fighter characters and implementing them we have the problem of fireballs, projectiles and such - how do they work in 3D?

Or the lack of moves from the Street Fighter characters when compared to each Tekken characters move list... there are a lot of obstacles we have to overcome and the fans seem to be more worried about my project than Ono's.

Comments

mustain21 said on September 9, 2010 at 11:21 a.m.

"the fans seem to be more worried about my project than Ono's." I could not agree more. I wonder how he's gonna deal with it.

MALDA said on September 9, 2010 at 11:23 a.m.

FroggyMan77 said on September 9, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.

It's funny that he asks if there's going to be a Namco x Capcom, because a game with that name already exists. Of course, it's an RPG, not a fighter, but that's besides the point.

And I don't know why people are having such a problem with projectiles in 3D fighters. It's been done before, and quite well, in my opinion.

mrdrofficer said on September 9, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.

I think Raven from Tekken is a good way to look at both projects.

For Tekken, Raven has one of the weirdest move sets, with teleports and everything. This is the template that most of the SF characters will play in Tekken. Specials over normals. Shoe in characters would be like Abel, Zangief, Honda,Fuerte, Hakan, Makoto and even Gouken because they all have normal and grapple dominated moves.

Meanwhile a character like Raven will definitely be in SFvTekken because he is, again, has very set specials. A cross between Dhalsim meets Adon. For this matter most of the characters main moves, like Pauls fist could be like Yun and Yangs fist, just need to be scaled down. From that perspective all Ono has to worry about is picking fun characters to fight, like Zangief vs Kuma.

So while Harada has a bigger obstacle it isn't unprecedented and really, two games is the only way this crossover makes any sense in the first place.

Shep131 said on September 9, 2010 at 12:21 p.m.

Ono will show them how tekken should play :)

Kalyx_triaD said on September 9, 2010 at 12:55 p.m.

@ Shep131:

Tekken plays like Tekken should play already.

Don't bring that 3D vs 2D crap here, grow up.

Shep131 said on September 9, 2010 at 1:13 p.m.

haha, i like how you assume, never assume. im talking about the high, medium and low tiers of blocking and attacking and the last gen 'when you hit someone theres a magic lightenin' style effect' which looks pretty crap to how it does in the demo of sf x tekken IMO. So before you wanna tell me to grow up ask me why i think what i've posted.

Kalyx_triaD said on September 9, 2010 at 1:33 p.m.

Fairly certain anybody would interpret your post as I have.

Shep131 said on September 9, 2010 at 1:34 p.m.

well if it's my opinion then surely i don't need to be shouted down for it

Chris_Freakin_Frost said on September 9, 2010 at 2:25 p.m.

MEGAMAN X FOR DLC!

gtfopanda said on September 9, 2010 at 2:52 p.m.

I really wonder about fireballs in Tekken X SF. How's that gonna work? Being a 3D engine, it's to easy to just double tap on direction and dodge them, they'd be pretty useless...

Any ideas?

Shep131 said on September 9, 2010 at 2:56 p.m.

might be a bit crap but maybe the projectile could cover two area's so ud av to double tap twice? would be okay for a sonic boom but might look a bit crap with an hadouken

WASSHOI said on September 9, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

@ #11
Mortal Kombat has had 3D projectiles for quite some time. I'm sure it'll be similar to that. I don't play 3D fighters much though, and haven't played a Tekken game since like PS1 or early PS2.

YatterKing said on September 9, 2010 at 4:46 p.m.

"We have the problem of fireballs, projectiles and such - how do they work in 3D?"

Everyone still asking this question needs to go play Rival Schools. It's been done. It's not a big deal.

Bookerjj said on September 9, 2010 at 5:10 p.m.

Rival schools had some 3d elements but was essentially a 2D with 3d graphics, maybe 2.5, wasn't a pure 3d game.

DarkCyclone said on September 9, 2010 at 5:29 p.m.

@Bookerjj

Have you even played Rival Schools? It was a 3D game, you could step towards both the background and foreground, there were also moves specifically designed to work on a 3D plane

That's not the point anyway, Rival Schools is a good example of how fireballs can potentially work in a 3D environment. I haven't played that game in a while but back when I did, lone fireballs were useless because you could evade them with a simple sidestep, however for a lot of characters they were important combo tools. Tekken X SF will have to implement them in a similar way to keep their effectiveness

This only accounts for a few of the cast though, character's like Balrog and Zangief will transition effortlessly

SteadiestShark said on September 9, 2010 at 6:29 p.m.

I can't wait for SF x T. I love a lot of the characters from the Tekken universe - but I love how SF (4 in particular) plays.

Chris_Freakin_Frost said on September 9, 2010 at 6:59 p.m.

NEW MVC3 EPISODE 2 TRAILER! TRON BONNE CONFIRMED!

FroggyMan77 said on September 9, 2010 at 7:19 p.m.

Quite honestly, I didn't expect to see her. I guess that means that we won't be getting Volnutt?

Shep131 said on September 9, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.

im lookin forward to seeing if they can manage to put steve in from tekken, steve vs dudley or balrog wud be a great fight

Dan_CiTi said on September 9, 2010 at 9:24 p.m.

I feel like some Tekken moves lists are filled with things like command normals/unique attacks/target combos, or even just straight up combos.

I hope characters like Dudley, Karin, and Akuma get in the Tekken game.

Jakulagi said on September 9, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.

@Dan_CiTi

Probably not Karin, and Dudley might not make the cut, I have a feeling that it'll be SF4 cast only because Ono said," that at the moment it seems likely that they'll only put 35 characters..

DeboMagneto said on September 13, 2010 at 12:34 p.m.

I would Like to see a Brand New JoJo Bizarre Adventure Game

joe89 said on September 14, 2010 at 3:59 a.m.

this game gonna be a blow up for sure but one thing..sf character has so many powers compare to tekken like throwing fireballs and at the same time sf has a very limited move compare to tekken..i wonder how they gonna solve this thing