Community news briefs for September 9th

Posted by Catalyst
September 9, 2010 at 10:51 a.m. PDT
Community news briefs for September 9th Here's another quick hitter of interesting things in the community.

• MarkMan announced another set of deals for Mad Catz FightSticks on the GameShark store. Pretty much the same stuff as last time. The best deal of the bunch is $99 Round 2 Tournament Edition FightSticks. This offer runs from Sept. 9 - 14.

• Yoshinori Ono said he'd announce more details about the Super Street Fighter 4 DLC costume pack at the Tokyo Game Show. These new outfits will be released in the fall.

• Ono also found a original Street Fighter arcade board with a few instructions.

• BossLogic posted hyper real art featuring Charlie.

• Don't get too close to Urien when he's performing his Super Art I.

Comments

MALDA said on September 9, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

Sakura said on September 9, 2010 at 12:56 p.m.

Bosslogic is slipping...

shaolindk said on September 9, 2010 at 12:57 p.m.

Did'nt the very first original Street Fighter have only two buttons? A punch and a kick button in which you had to execute with three levels of contact pressure on the pads.

Imagine how tough it would be if you had to use these same physics of a two button pads for today in the arcade version for Super Street Fighter 4. How would someone like Diago go up against players who could hit their heavy buttons harder than him, especially for the fact that Diago is quite a small slim person in stature. I would love to see how he would fare in the original street fighter with only two large pad buttons. lol

kingofthesharks said on September 9, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.

that urien video reminds me of the Raging Demon Sucks video with akuma and bison's Ultra, which is what happened to me online back in vanilla when I was playing Bison.

Lolento said on September 9, 2010 at 2:34 p.m.

@#3 shaolindk
I've never seen a SF1 original arcade, but I assume it didn't really require that much pressure for heavy attacks, just a firm press. If anything, Daigo could be at somewhat of an advantage: depending on the button's sensitivity, it might be hard for a 300 lbs dude with heavy hands to perform light attacks.

Smash Bros makes use of the analog's sensitivity (for instance, a light or slow tilt towards a direction + button A performs one attack, a firm directional tap + button A performs another completely different attack), and in a few situations also considers how lightly/quickly you press a button (a very light tap on the jump button performs a short hop). Personally, I kinda like this scheme (it forces you to remain focused, you can't get desperate and mash, or you'll only perform the slowest moves), but this is absolute hell for beginners.

Lolento said on September 9, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

@#4 kingofthesharks
I feel you. Once a friend of mine missed a wakeup Flash Explosion (Guile's U1) while I was crossing him up. Stupid me chased him, got too close… got caught in the last moment. The real stupidity: I was using Gen, there was no need to chase him. My ultra could obviously connect from full screen.

throughsilence said on September 10, 2010 at 12:43 a.m.

In for one...too bad I have to pay tax for the TE stick living in Cali :(

shaolindk said on September 10, 2010 at 7:19 a.m.

@ Loento,
I'm 35 years old. When the very first street fighter 1 came out in 1988 I'm assuming you probably were'nt even born or perhaps just started to walk. But I remember I was in 8th grade and was 13 years old when I watched how people challenging each other had to rely on POUNDING the red and blue buttons with their fist on this large button pads to execute their heavy kicks and punches. These large rounded pads were approximately 15cm in diameter each. Diago being born in 1981 would have been only seven years old and would have had fist the size of a kiwi fruit. I guess it was aimed to appeal at the macho teenager or the tough young adult. Anyway after several months later did capcom modified them to the six button layout to appeal to a wider audience. Your comparison to Smash Bros and it's analog's sensitivity is rather far off the subject. Do some google research of Street Fighter 1's original button pads and hopefully it will give you a better insight.

Ex_Ein said on September 12, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.

Ono looking at SF1 releated products??