Seasons Beatings & SoCal Regionals tournament updates

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • October 12, 2010 at 4:30 p.m. PDT
Seasons Beatings & SoCal Regionals tournament updates Sanford Kelly announced that there will be a 5 on 5 SSF4 tournament at Seasons Beatings Redemption this weekend, featuring some prominent members of the tournament scene in America against competitors flying in from other countries.

Here's how it will look, if the players stick with their main characters.

Local Team
EG.Justin Wong (Rufus)
EG.Marn (Dudley)
Mike Ross (E. Honda)
Arturo Sanchez (Dhalsim)
DMG.Eduardo "PR Rog" Perez (Balrog)

Foreign Team
Daigo Umehara (Ryu)
GamerBee (Adon)
Momochi (Ken)
Starnab (Fei Long)
Choco (Blanka)

For those not familiar with him, Starnab is regarded as one of the best Fei Long players around and will help round out the team very nicely. There will also be a singles SSF4 tournament along with a ton of other games and the stream will be hosted by Team Sp00ky.

Also, Alex Valle mentioned that Sako will be competing in the SoCal Regionals, a $10,000 SSF4 tournament taking place November 6 - 7. Sako recently beat Daigo Umehara in the GodsGarden 2.0 Online SSF4 Tournament, completing an amazing comeback and putting on one heck of a show for fans watching at home.

With $10,000 on the line and the Level|Up crew hosting the stream, the Southern California Regionals will end up being an outstanding competition attracting some of the biggest names in the community.

Live coverage of both of these events will be provided here on the front page, so if you miss any of the action, you'll be able to find out what happened here.

Thanks to Zerenade and Hampr03 for the heads up.

Comments

Struggs said on October 12, 2010 at 4:34 p.m.

Get hype!!

SilentSoul said on October 12, 2010 at 4:34 p.m.

These battles will be nothing short of amazing. Looking forward to the stream for sure!

SAMURAI said on October 12, 2010 at 4:38 p.m.

I wish Mago and Sako were on the foreign team.

Justinbehungry said on October 12, 2010 at 4:43 p.m.

wonder why ricky isn't on the e.g. team with marn and justin?

MALDA said on October 12, 2010 at 4:44 p.m.

SethGravijah said on October 12, 2010 at 4:51 p.m.

Thx for the spoil EventHubs ! \o/

Cobalt said on October 12, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

Wonder why Marn is on the team. He is so inconsistent, its hard to watch him play.

Tru1yOdd said on October 12, 2010 at 5:06 p.m.

Lol get Marn out of there and stick sanford in, idea is to win right.

Lets_Fight_Like_Gentlemen said on October 12, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.

Starnab for OCV.

JumpMan33 said on October 12, 2010 at 5:13 p.m.

@justinbehungry, it could be a single character team rule, where everyone on the team must pick someone different.
Jwong already has Rufus, and Ricky's chun still needs some work.
I don't think he plays anyone one else.

SaintAvi said on October 12, 2010 at 5:15 p.m.

Let's hope LevelUp doesnt give us a repeat of Evo

RandomJohn said on October 12, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.

I'm not surprised if one member from the foreign team ocv's the local team.

Justinbehungry said on October 12, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.

@ jumpman

i didn't think of that lol.
thanks.

@ tru1yodd

i agree that sanford would be great on that team but losing marn would kill them. I would say take out art for sanford but dhalsim is a key to victory, though I like sanford over art anyday.

okay said on October 12, 2010 at 5:25 p.m.

Choco to OCV the Local Team.

Lets_Fight_Like_Gentlemen said on October 12, 2010 at 5:34 p.m.

Daigo already does that.

jesuslovessatan said on October 12, 2010 at 5:42 p.m.

@ #8 & #13
are you dudes serious. sanford. 4real. when was the last time he placed in anything? hes a has-been. dude is done for until MVC3.

and as for sako going to SoCal regionals... wonder how they got him over there? i mean i dont think he even competes in japanese tournaments let alone one outside the country.

anywho, its 99% guaranteed that the foreign team is gonna cream the locals. justin is not at his top form and they have PR Rog who is as burnt out as sanford.

Gamerbee, Gamerbee, Gamerbee!!!

SirOptimusPrime said on October 12, 2010 at 5:53 p.m.

My prediction: Lol, Marn.

I mean, he's pretty durned good, but he's easily the weakest link in the group (i.e. constantly dropping relatively easy combos and doing wakeup ultra even when a comeback is possible). Sabin and PR Rog will hold up really well, and Mike Ross and jWong will do fine but lose.

Daigo will beast it up, and Momochi will get walloped at first (again). The rest of the team will be equally beast and win it.

rpgfighter said on October 12, 2010 at 6 p.m.

Foreign is going to mess them up XD

Jakulagi said on October 12, 2010 at 6:09 p.m.

Sanford was getting owned by Yipes in MvC3.. Sanford is guttertrash..

yankeesown said on October 12, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.

Why no Ricky?

I wanna see a Justin vs. Gamerbee rematch.

Soren said on October 12, 2010 at 6:17 p.m.

I'm really liking the character diversity on both teams.

SSJ3X said on October 12, 2010 at 6:20 p.m.

I'm more curious as to why Momochi doesn't play Akuma anymore. I mean he was one of the top 2 Akumas in Japan, alongside Tokido, even though he originally played Ken early in SF4, and to some extent Ryu.

Regardless, its going to make for quite a 5 on 5 special.

Mourne said on October 12, 2010 at 6:20 p.m.

I've been wanting to see more of Starnab, so hopefully this'll be a good opportunity for that.

The local team is a smart one with some match-ups pretty far in their favor. Marn has beaten Momochi before, Arturo has beaten Daigo before (and likely will here as well if he gets off to a good start due to his excellent Dhalsim), and Mike Ross has beaten GamerBee (though if he hadn't, GamerBee would have likely beaten Daigo at the Evo finals--he was on fire and has taken out Daigo in the past just like he has many others). If their lineup goes as they would like, it should be a good one for them. Of course, most of the foreign team are very strong and are capable of pulling upsets even in character mismatches, so I'm expecting a really good set of matches.

ricefarmer said on October 12, 2010 at 6:31 p.m.

Sakura said on October 12, 2010 at 6:43 p.m.

Choco FTW!

Justinbehungry said on October 12, 2010 at 7:15 p.m.

Sanford and marn hate need to stop, they're both gdlk.

kara said on October 12, 2010 at 7:15 p.m.

MikeDanger said on October 12, 2010 at 7:20 p.m.

no ricky ortiz?? no hate on nobody there, but ricky is the talk of the year player.

Shep131 said on October 12, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.

Gamerbee is GOD!!! :)

PhinnyCupcakes said on October 12, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.

awww, marn and justin are on a team again? how precious ♥

geni said on October 12, 2010 at 7:31 p.m.

WOW this will be the event to check out

Akro said on October 12, 2010 at 7:35 p.m.

@ 26, Cuz justin always beats Daigo right? >_>

neon6 said on October 12, 2010 at 7:49 p.m.

Win or lose, it'll be a nice match to watch. The symbol of America against the symbol of Japan? Who wouldn't want to see that?

WinstonChurchill said on October 12, 2010 at 7:52 p.m.

@#23

Momochi's Akuma was the best :(

Slade_Hokan said on October 12, 2010 at 7:59 p.m.

This is going to be awesome.

jni5040 said on October 12, 2010 at 7:59 p.m.

Some thoughts from Momochi (2010-10-12, Japan time)

...I leave for America in two days.
Today or tomorrow I need to think about how to deal with the Rufus/Adon/Dhalsim/Dudley match-ups.
Adon and Dudley smell strongly of danger...
I've got Kindevu to help me out with Rufus.
Actually this isn't the time to be thinking match-ups - I haven't even started packing...

konachin said on October 12, 2010 at 8:05 p.m.

well, this already happened like a million times and justin lost all of them, doesn't even matter anymore if he beat daigo this time, its more then explicit that daigo is better than him.

keyzerjose said on October 12, 2010 at 8:17 p.m.

#29 E.G Evil Geniuses. Their group moniker I believe when its marn, j wong, and ricky. I wouldn't be surprised to see an OCV from the foreign team, They have some incredible players. Hope Choco or starnab go first because I dont see Daigo dropping a match unless its to Sim. Bad Matchup

Alfrebaut said on October 12, 2010 at 8:26 p.m.

Holy crap, Mike Ross and Choco Blanka both in the 5-on-5? Well, I'm hard.

spotlesseden said on October 12, 2010 at 8:49 p.m.

the international team should just put Momochi first, Daigo second to get this thing over with. result doesn't mean anything anyway.

I would rather see them do 5v5 in round robin format. every member plays the other team's members once. that's would be more entertaining

Alfrebaut said on October 12, 2010 at 9:03 p.m.

I agree that a round robin format would be more entertaining and interesting, but it would probably take too long to be feasible. I'm pretty sure, based on how they've run these in the past, that it's going to be Waseda-style, meaning each player will play against a person from the other team, so each player will play at least once.

jesuslovessatan said on October 12, 2010 at 9:23 p.m.

@ #28
like i said, sanford is garbage now. since SSF4 came out he went under real fast. it almost seems like it started when he lost that awesome match to the great Inthul.

marn on the other hand is a real threat. he may not be godlike but his dudley is probably the best in the world. i have a good feeling that he will knock out at least 1 person.

Tru1yOdd said on October 12, 2010 at 9:28 p.m.

I dont know why everyone is saying that the US team is gonna get OCVed. The US players are all very good, weak links would probably be Marn and PR Rog, but apart from them the US them has some great players. Arthuro can beat Daigo and so can Justin. Mike Ross has already beat Gamerbee and Justin bearly lost to the guy. Personally I would be surprised if there was an OCV.

Grimmjow316 said on October 12, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.

When is it and please, please someone get this on their Youtube channel since last time not only did the EVO stream suck I didn't see a lot of the event to begin with.

Marn should be in his Dudley has been a beast lately especially in the Nagoya Tourney.

The_Barry_Gibb_Talk_Show said on October 12, 2010 at 9:47 p.m.

I heard the winning team gets to share Choco Blanka. Is this true?

VegaBisonAbel said on October 12, 2010 at 9:51 p.m.

so the international team have the best adon, ryu, and quite possible ken... and US have the best ?

Charlie said on October 12, 2010 at 9:59 p.m.

@SirOptimusPrime

You shouldn't talk about others peoples skills when your free and yes I have seen you on PSN

Mourne said on October 12, 2010 at 10:22 p.m.

@VegaBisonAbel: You must really have an axe to grind.

geodude said on October 12, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.

Go USA! But i have a feeling they are going to get decimated...

MikeDanger said on October 12, 2010 at 11:25 p.m.

u know what i love about this? they all have different characters. lol im rooting for arturo sanchez and choco

shoryuKIDDER said on October 12, 2010 at 11:30 p.m.

you would think this is a japanese forum the way all of the posts just write off any hope for the local team... wait. i bet the japanese don't even post that way... average players spouting average hate.. how does it not get old???

Jaf said on October 12, 2010 at 11:48 p.m.

Should be an amazing set...I would love to see Marn's Dudley against Gamerbee's Adon because honest to God I've never seen that matchup in my life.

spanish_ninja said on October 13, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.

I like the diversity of characters represented Even though there mosty vanilla characters of corse except for marn and gamerbee. No mirror matches :D. BTW WHAT DOES "OCV" MEAN???

Mourne said on October 13, 2010 at 12:36 a.m.

@shoryuKIDDER: I lol'd @ "average players spouting average hate". I have no idea how it doesn't get old either. It's the same old, same old with this lot.

bananainsaneface said on October 13, 2010 at 12:40 a.m.

How the hell did they get Sako to come? He doesn't ever leave his house.

zores said on October 13, 2010 at 12:47 a.m.

Vacation in USA for Sako > Vacation in same boring place you live in most of your life in JP.

duckmouth said on October 13, 2010 at 2:07 a.m.
Arcturus said on October 13, 2010 at 2:50 a.m.

HAHAHAAHAHA....Props to Choco for being the best girl EVER in street fighter...lol...she is on a team of exceptional players who thought she has what it takes to be on top. This should be interesting. Now I am all about go team USA, but from what I have seen from everyone either online or in person, or from my friend spying in Japan. The inconsistancies(sp) on the US side are very VERY huge. I do wish both the best, but because choco is the only girl out of the 10 players and I LOVE HER, I want the foreign team to win...lol...yeah yeah it is a biased call. lol

Bajas said on October 13, 2010 at 3:05 a.m.

So all it takes to get Sako to leave his house is 10.000$? I'm psyched to see that tournament

Cornwallas said on October 13, 2010 at 6 a.m.

local team should have ricky o instead of pr rog

Cornwallas said on October 13, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.

alex valle instead of ross too i think, ross is the man though!

keyzerjose said on October 13, 2010 at 6:18 a.m.

Spanish Ninja, One Character Victory. Basically One player from one team runs through the other team. #59 LMAO. Good stuff.

caruga said on October 13, 2010 at 6:58 a.m.

Didn't Sako win a ticket to the states in the last godsgarden tournament he won, plus the cash?

King_Asura said on October 13, 2010 at 7:06 a.m.

Sanford announced? On what?

gaffel123 said on October 13, 2010 at 7:40 a.m.

I dont think sako will do that well tbh cuz it seems like it takes longer to him to adapt to his opponent than daigo does.

Timefall said on October 13, 2010 at 7:49 a.m.

500 bucks on foreign team!

OptimusPrimeBot said on October 13, 2010 at 8:10 a.m.

PR rog vs choco
Mike ross vs gamerbee
Arturo vs daigo

and i think they would have a good chance of winning

WinstonChurchill said on October 13, 2010 at 10:10 a.m.

@#59

Too funny :D

throughsilence said on October 13, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.

I don't really care who wins or loses. I'm just glad we get to see more characters that don't get played as much...

NerfGuile said on October 13, 2010 at 12:08 p.m.

Why isnt RickyO in here? He's the best in the USA right now and he isnt competing?

Fingernails aside, ricky has the best rufus.

throughsilence said on October 13, 2010 at 1:08 p.m.

I see Ricky all the time at our local mall in San Jose, California. He used to play at lot at SJSU's Student Union too. Guy seems to love to shop and stomp on the local gamers. Haha

Akro said on October 13, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

am I the only who feels that Poongko's Seth should've taken Choco's spot?

SirOptimusPrime said on October 13, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.

@ Charlie

Hey, I don't play this game professionally (I've only taken it semi-seriously for a couple weeks - a month). If someone dedicates themselves to this and performs at the same level of someone like myself (who cares if I'm free? I know it, everyone who's fought me knows it) then that's just amusing to me.

I have more important things to dedicate myself to rather than a fighting game, so calling me free isn't saying anything all that relevant.

PikminExpert said on October 13, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.

I believe Choco is a girl :P Cool to see a girl play with the guys for once.

Nanaya said on October 13, 2010 at 9:53 p.m.

Sako? USA? Is this the end of NAH?

gaffel123 said on October 14, 2010 at 8:12 a.m.

@76 poongko aint goin to seasons beatings. To bad cuz i would love to see him beast on the americans and hopefully daigo

konachin said on October 14, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.

what means NAH?

akatruthteller said on October 24, 2010 at 5:59 p.m.