Battle for the West Coast Super Street Fighter 4 Crown results

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • October 9, 2010 at 8:46 p.m. PDT
Battle for the West Coast Super Street Fighter 4 Crown results Justin Wong, Alex Valle, Ricky Ortiz and five other top California players competed in a double elimination Super Street Fighter 4 competition. The was a first to 5 victories and random draw event, so there were no seedings.

There was originally problems with the stream, but a live feed came in about half-way through the competition. A direct feed video archive will also be available after the fact.

To see how things shook out, punch the link below.

Super Street Fighter 4 Results

# Player Character Wins Losses Pct.
1 EG.Ricky Ortiz Rufus 5 1 .833
2 Alex Valle Ryu 4 2 .666
3 Vance "Vangief" Wu Zangief 2 2 .500
3 Peter "Combofiend" Rosas Abel 2 2 .500
5 EG.Justin Wong Rufus 1 2 .333
5 Mike Ross E. Honda 1 2 .333
7 Filipino Champ Dhalsim 0 2 .000
7 Shizza Chun-Li 0 2 .000

Battle Log

• EG.Ricky Ortiz (Rufus) eliminated Alex Valle (Ryu) 5-1.

• Alex Valle (Ryu) beat EG.Ricky Ortiz (Rufus) 5-4.

• Alex Valle (Ryu) eliminated Peter "Combofiend" Rosas (Abel) 5-1.

• Peter "Combofiend" Rosas (Abel) eliminated Vance "Vangief" Wu (Zangief) 5-4.

• EG.Ricky Ortiz (Rufus) beat Alex Valle (Ryu) 5-4.

• Peter "Combofiend" Rosas (Abel) eliminated Mike Ross (E. Honda) 5-2.

• Vance "Vangief" Wu (Zangief) eliminated EG.Justin Wong (Rufus) 5-2.

• EG.Ricky Ortiz (Rufus) beat Mike Ross (E. Honda).

• Alex Valle (Ryu) beat EG.Justin Wong (Rufus) 5-2.

• Peter "Combofiend" Rosas eliminated Shizza (Chun-Li) 5-2.

• Vance "Vangief" Wu (Zangief) eliminated Filipino Champ (Dhalsim) 5-1.

• EG.Justin Wong (Rufus) beat Peter "Combofiend" Rosas (Abel) 5-0.

• Mike Ross (E. Honda) beat Vance "Vangief" Wu (Zangief) 5-0.

• Alex Valle (Ryu) beat Filipino Champ (Dhalsim) 5-3.

• EG.Ricky Ortiz (Rufus) beat Shizza (Chun-Li) 5-2.

Big thanks to Alex Valle, John Choi and Struggs for provided these results.

Comments

TheMasterPlayer said on October 9, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.

What, Alex Valle back on top form again? nice! go Calipower!

DarkDiscyple said on October 9, 2010 at 6:28 p.m.

Man do I wish I could have seen this...

Kurow said on October 9, 2010 at 6:29 p.m.

Wanna be version of GodsGarden Online 2 :P

badmandan said on October 9, 2010 at 6:44 p.m.

Justin Wong has kinda been getting owned as Rufus since Super came out. I'd like to see him play Makoto again, so even if he does lose, he loses with style.

SmoothJK said on October 9, 2010 at 6:49 p.m.

#2 and #4: You guys kidding? Cuz Japanese stuff is the only thing worth watching right? Give me a break.

I for one can't wait to watch these videos. So many colorful, skilled players in this event!

Jakulagi said on October 9, 2010 at 6:53 p.m.

Yes Vangief! Eliminate that JWong Scum!

Kurow said on October 9, 2010 at 6:57 p.m.

it was a joke man... of course that it is good stuff

gaffel123 said on October 9, 2010 at 7 p.m.

lmao justin wong losing to valle? I guess valle learned some tricks from daigo

ShadowKnight28 said on October 9, 2010 at 7:19 p.m.

Vangief eliminated Wong again?? NICE. Vangief is the man.

Struggs said on October 9, 2010 at 7:23 p.m.

Valle with new technology for the Rufus match. Those standing hard punches are kicking ass.

EXMessiah said on October 9, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.

Rufus is still taking this without Wong.

Mr_Clack said on October 9, 2010 at 7:40 p.m.

@ 2
I see no "super" characters so I dont care either!

mtran said on October 9, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.

im liking the table you've recently been using

Catalyst said on October 9, 2010 at 7:59 p.m.

Yeah, I had to pull the table because the early part of the tournament is unknown, so it would have messed up the results. If/when I can get all of the results, I'll add it back in.

VegaBisonAbel said on October 9, 2010 at 8:26 p.m.

wow what happened to justin wong! he's not even top 5 in america anymore!?

Mourne said on October 9, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.

Justin isn't going to win against Vance consistently; he can dominate mostly everyone else on the WC, but anyone who plays Zangief at a high level is going to have a shot. Rufus has no chance against Zangief, no matter how great of a Rufus you are.

VegaBisonAbel said on October 9, 2010 at 8:31 p.m.

@mourne
before this competition I would agree with you, but you can't use that gief is a bad matchup for rufus when combofiend beats vangief on an even worse matchup

Spiritz said on October 9, 2010 at 8:31 p.m.

Exactly, Zangief is a nightmare for Rufus.

BADerRules said on October 9, 2010 at 8:34 p.m.

Mourne said on October 9, 2010 at 8:39 p.m.

@18: It's not a worse one at all. You're kidding yourself if you really think that, man. Abel can actually stand up to Zangief's 360s, whereas Zangief can pop a 360 out against basically anything Rufus can do no matter how solid your links are. See the recent Cross Counter episode for more info on this matchup.

@19: Indeed. Rufus literally has the offensive and the defensive advantage on every level. It's just not a match that any Rufus player wants to find themselves in.

BADerRules said on October 9, 2010 at 8:46 p.m.

shinakka said on October 9, 2010 at 8:47 p.m.

I don't really like Ricky at all. But congrats to him. I just personally find Rufus boring to watch too (which may be part of it).

Kaizy said on October 9, 2010 at 8:47 p.m.

And Ricky takes it.
ALMOST makes up for SBO.

BlackHart said on October 9, 2010 at 8:50 p.m.

lol @ 22.

Dude's a beast.

L said on October 9, 2010 at 8:50 p.m.

@shinakka what's not to like about Ricky? Better him than egomaniacal Valle if you're rooting for the player.

VegaBisonAbel said on October 9, 2010 at 8:52 p.m.

agree to disagree with you man. seriously tho, we can't make excuses for justin anymore, he got bodied twice! and ricky just bodied valle...he's definitely dropped his level now.

Justinbehungry said on October 9, 2010 at 8:52 p.m.

@ 22

don't talk crap about ricky.

hurricaneditka16 said on October 9, 2010 at 8:56 p.m.

what happened with shizza? did he win a match? i only see results posted from one of his matches here.

RandomDP said on October 9, 2010 at 9 p.m.

Did Ricky run off to hug JWong after he won like he did in Evo?

EnkiduV3 said on October 9, 2010 at 9:11 p.m.

I shouldn't be surprised that the internet brings out the haters, but man are you all some haters! So what if Ricky is or isn't gay. I would also hug a guy I consider to be a friend if I just beat a high level opponent on the main stage at Evo, that's a memory I'd look back on fondly for the rest of my life.

Some people are just shallow douchebags that judge on appearance (or in the case of Justin and Valle, hate them because of a perceived cockiness that naturally comes out while winning a hard fought match, not because they'd ever MET these people before and could genuinely say that Justin or Alex are cocky like that 24/7.)

VegaBisonAbel said on October 9, 2010 at 9:24 p.m.

seriously catalyst, any bigoted comments should be removed or user banned

keyzerjose said on October 9, 2010 at 9:37 p.m.

#33 exactly

keyzerjose said on October 9, 2010 at 9:41 p.m.

I'd like to see WC top 6 vs Godsgarden 2 2nd round players although I'm pretty sure japan would dominate. Still be interesting to see how much big or small the gap is. Plus except for ryu and dhalism I'm pretty sure japan uses different players then us. We seem pretty fond of rufus and/ or grapplers.

L said on October 9, 2010 at 9:43 p.m.

@EnkiduV3 total respect for what you said, and while i agree with most of it...

in regard to perceiving cockiness, what else am i supposed to judge someone on besides their public persona, if that's all i'm exposed to? players at these levels should be aware of this and behave in public how they wish to be perceived. valle has an arrogance about him that rubs me the wrong way from interviews i've seen (MWC especially). obviously he doesn't behave like that 24/7, but as a fan of street fighter and the competitive scene, how do you expect people not to form opinions about players and root for their favorites?

shinakka said on October 9, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.

Oh snap. Just to make it clear, I was in no way saying I wasn't a ricky fan due to his preference in significant others. He just doesn't have any unique quality to his game that makes me personally root for him. I don't really root against him. He just isn't one of my favorite players. Like I said, congrats on the win. I felt indifferent about both competators in the finals. However, I was pretty suprised to see Valle in finals.

keyzerjose said on October 9, 2010 at 9:49 p.m.

Excuse my grammar, its pretty late. (than , then, how much big or small gap) Horrible. lol. Why do you guys think our character choices are so different? They had two cammy's and two C vipers on their side of the bracket, along with the shoto fighters, ibuki, ibuki, claw and sim. Our only similarities are Ryu, Sim, And chun. Any theories?

Struggs said on October 9, 2010 at 10:03 p.m.

Calling someone gay is not an insult. Gay is an acceptable term. You can use gay in a derogatory way, but I don't think #22 meant it that way.

okay said on October 9, 2010 at 10:40 p.m.

Would have been more interesting if Marn was in it.

Existent said on October 9, 2010 at 10:44 p.m.

I guess I don't really care about any of these people, but is that guy literally gay?

geeman01 said on October 9, 2010 at 10:48 p.m.

does anyone know what the prize was for winning?

prof21 said on October 9, 2010 at 11:17 p.m.

When can we officially stop referring to Justin Wong as the best US player? He hasn't really been the same since Super dropped, RickyO uses the same character and has been consistently outperforming Wong.

Bushinryuken said on October 9, 2010 at 11:31 p.m.

#43 - Wow, I hope that gets deleted, that's just unbelievable.

Really good fights, thanks Gootecks for the stream! I also agree with you #39, I wish Marn was in it too :(.

Allen_Snider said on October 9, 2010 at 11:35 p.m.

Valle really knows how to play Justin. Valle doesnt play ricky all the time due to Ricky living about 4+ hours away from him. Ricky is norcal n Valle is socal. Justin lives in socal so he knows how to play him.

As far as vance vs justin goes, i dont have much to say but good sh*t vance. He knows his match-ups n he beat justin convincingly. Justin has to work on tht.

I still think justin is the most skilled player out of the bunch. Him n Valle. Valle is ridiculously OG so he just knows what to do. Justin however has a lot of technical skill which i think makes him the most skilled. Ricky is OG too but i think justin wouldve beat ricky 5-1 or maybe 5-2.

Just my opinion.

voa said on October 9, 2010 at 11:38 p.m.

the point of eventhubs is the safe environment to be positive or negative. Just because there are a lot of negative comments out there doesn't mean you can take away their right to be a douche in this community. That's why i like EH, even though the comments can be pretty simplistic and no thought behind it. I will have to say that if anyone here wants to hate on something, leave some sort of evidence or constructive criticism instead of just, "ricky is gay." Please explain why you feel that way and i'm sure everyone here will either sympathize or empathize.

NerfGuile said on October 9, 2010 at 11:40 p.m.

whats with all the ricky hate? he's a monster at this game now!!

ggs here. good job ricky.

maybe evo wasnt a fluke for ricky or for vance...maybe justin shouldnt have been in the top 8.

topdawg122 said on October 10, 2010 at 12:22 a.m.

I've noticed Ricky adapts very well as the match goes on.
New top player in the US?

Beehol said on October 10, 2010 at 12:30 a.m.

Why do all Super Street Fighter IV tournament players insist on only choosing from the vanilla roster?! That gets so annoying! ACQUA is the only Super character I've seen at Godsgarden. When there is Juri, Hakan, Guy, Cody, Ibuki, Dudley, Makoto, Adon, Dee Jay, and T. Hawk... you would think SOME people would choose those characters. This is why I love Kiryu Tsukimiya, he represents us Guy players... and if you think he's not good, he beat Nemo's Chun Li with Guy. He's the real deal.

Shredelicious said on October 10, 2010 at 12:40 a.m.

@Beehol #49

Combofiend has played Guy in tournaments, and JWong has played Makoto in tournaments.

But when you are invited to an invitation only tournament against the best players in the country you choose the characters you know you're going to beast with.

simple as that.

zores said on October 10, 2010 at 12:43 a.m.

Bah missed the stream, any replays up yet?

Tralarris_Smith said on October 10, 2010 at 12:50 a.m.

When is Ryan Hart going to play again???

Tru1yOdd said on October 10, 2010 at 12:56 a.m.

@ 49

Capcom kinda sucks a balancing new characters ever since vanilla. There just scared of adding a bunch of really good new characters. Not saying the new characters are bad (apart from Hakan and Makoto) there just not as good as they should be. They usually get it right the second time around Cammy and Rose are a great examples so hopefully the new characters will be better with the super arcade update.

Axefresh said on October 10, 2010 at 1:03 a.m.

Combofiend >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Juicebox Autistic

BADerRules said on October 10, 2010 at 2:09 a.m.

Mourne said on October 10, 2010 at 2:21 a.m.

@VegaBisonAbel: No one is making excuses for anyone; it's a basic observation that has no bias. If you thought Justin would win against Vangief easily for some reason, then you're the one who expected to make excuses in the first place. I would have predicted this result long before even Vance had put him into Loser's at Evo; a skilled Zangief player is going to have a tremendous advantage on a Rufus. It's that simple.

@voa: If that's why you like it, that says a lot about the state of affairs.

Anyway, to all of you insulting Ricky over anything but his play in Street Fighter, you really should be ashamed of yourselves. You are all simply petty and if Catalyst had any respect for the players in the community who get put out there like this, he would delete those bigoted comments and ban the posters immediately. That's just being honest. You do a fantastic job with the news on the site, but it's really despicable what goes on in these comments. You can say it's about free speech, but does that mean you openly endorse hate speech as well? "God damn homo ricky" sure has a nice ring to it in these comments--it's right at home with those who insult players over their weight and personal appearance and have extremely little to say about their play in Street Fighter. I think you could get a hell of an endorsement deal from Weight Watchers at this point; maybe some pop-ups or a big banner across the top?

It's disgusting what people are capable of when they are not held accountable for what they say. Catalyst, I don't mean to tell you how to run your site, but you need a moderator and you need one now. Find someone with a sense of decency, because while you are busy gathering news and making the posts, the commenters are spewing more hate speech than at a KKK rally. And that's in every. single. article. that they can even approach that direction in. The community at large laughs at the commenters here--don't let your site be brought down to their level (judging from the consensus in some streams, some would say it already has).

Smorgasboard said on October 10, 2010 at 2:42 a.m.

@ Beehol

When you've spent as many hours on a character as these players have, you will understand.

Struggs said on October 10, 2010 at 2:53 a.m.

The missing results are:

ComboFiend knocked out Shizza 5 to 2 and Vangief took out FiliChamp 5-1.

bananainsaneface said on October 10, 2010 at 3:02 a.m.

Ricky Ortiz is NOT gay. I wish people would stop spreading false rumors.

Catalyst said on October 10, 2010 at 3:03 a.m.

@Mourne

I think you're blowing the amount of hate here way out of proportion, 1 comment out of 30 isn't that terrible. This article has been cleaned up, though, there was some offensive stuff.

If you see problematic comments, always feel free to flag them down via the contact form. http://www.eventhubs.com/forms/contac...

kpw said on October 10, 2010 at 3:08 a.m.

top 8 again, congrats Mike Ross

Mourne said on October 10, 2010 at 3:16 a.m.

@Catalyst

Do you really think that comment is just in one 30 most of the time? More like one in two in most articles, my friend. As I said, your site itself is fantastic, but the crowd it has attracted is anything but. There may be no better place for SF news, but there are many better places for discussion simply because no one is held accountable for anything here.

RoggingCamp said on October 10, 2010 at 3:21 a.m.

Cool essay, bro.

BADerRules said on October 10, 2010 at 4:02 a.m.

BADerRules said on October 10, 2010 at 4:03 a.m.

B4TTousai said on October 10, 2010 at 4:23 a.m.

@55 "Catalyst, I don't mean to tell you how to run your site, but you need a moderator and you need one now."

Says who?

I think the site is going great this way. Anyone should be able to express his thoughts. Whats all about this "lets delete his post and bann him" stuff?

Even if its a "nazi comment" or homophobe comment, its your choise to say: "-Ok, it probbly was written by a 14 years old whos not aware about the consecuences of his words. Or maybe hes just a retard and has no fault of beeing that stupid". You can feel sorry for him or you can go crazy and start banning everyone. But I like this open politics. Just ignore the foolish comments.

Haters are always good, they create trouble and make people argue and read the treads. You acionly think that Ricky cames in here, reads a comment and starts to cry? He probbly will think "f... you, what the hell do you want? You dont even know me..." Or even laugh his ass off.

Who gives a damn about stupid comments? Read the stuff you want to read, and let the unmature and poor idiots be what they are... Peace

Congrats Ricky!

Mourne said on October 10, 2010 at 4:24 a.m.

@BADerRules: Apologies for expecting people not to indulge in hate speech and insults at every turn simply because no one will ever question them on it. I know, it's the internet; it's not right to expect common decency or any level of maturity.

Timefall said on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 a.m.

vangief again beats jwong ohoh

Catalyst said on October 10, 2010 at 5 a.m.

@Mourne

As I said, if you have that big of a problem with some of the comments, please flag them. I'm not seeing the amount you're alluding to, not even close.

Catalyst said on October 10, 2010 at 5:03 a.m.

For the record, hate speech, racism and the like has NEVER been tolerated on this site. It's been that way from the start. There's certainly no way that myself and the other mods will catch everything that's said, so if you spot something that's off, please use the contact form to let me know about it.

TheMasterPlayer said on October 10, 2010 at 7:02 a.m.

@ 66 B4TTousai

Dude,no disrespect but please fix your words and your spellings. "choise", "consecuences", "acionly" "unmature". c'mon now...

bbgun83 said on October 10, 2010 at 7:08 a.m.

Whenever JWong loses, expect Mourne to come here and give an excuse.

CONSTvariable23 said on October 10, 2010 at 8:04 a.m.

And this is why I always shake my head whenever someone gets called "number one" in anything or anywhere. Nobody wins all the time, period.

But yeah, at this point it's kind of looking like Justin's finished. I hope he can make a comeback, I'm not a fan but it's still sad to see a titan falling like this.

B4TTousai said on October 10, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.

@TheMasterPlayer

Lol man. Who cares... English is not my first language anyway. You will understand that im not going to study english only to make you happy. The important thing is that you got the idea :).

Muzukashii said on October 10, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.

Why are tournament results listed 1,2,3,3,5,5,7,7 instead Of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8?

VegaBisonAbel said on October 10, 2010 at 10:39 a.m.

@muzu
because it is an elimination style tournament. if you look closely at their scores then you will see that the people that have the same rank have the same score

Wardog said on October 10, 2010 at 11:59 a.m.

No Cody & Guy players. *Profound Sadness*

Muzukashii said on October 10, 2010 at 12:57 p.m.

@VegaBisonAbel
Oh okay thanks.

Beehol said on October 10, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.

I have spent many hours working with Guy, I believe Guy to have INCREDIBLE potential. His offense is off the wall insane. If Combofiend has been working with Guy, he should realize that.

Mourne said on October 10, 2010 at 3:40 p.m.

@bbgun83: Sorry for laughing at that. I want to assume you're living up to the low intellect that inhibits the comments on this site and are simply trolling, but I am going to assume that you really are just insufficiently minded. All I do in any of these articles is encourage people not to insult people they do not know on a personal basis and instead focus on Street Fighter. If people cannot properly evaluate a match (and do so without throwing around childish insults), then they shouldn't pretend that they can. Just like when Daigo lost to Arturo and I pointed out that Arturo had the very obvious advantage (and likewise when Daigo lost to Justin because of his use of Fei Long and Daigo's unfamiliarity with the character at the time), I don't care what player it is. If there is something we can learn from a match-up between high level players, we should take away all that we can.

Feel free to actually counter my assessment of Rufus vs. Zangief instead of blindly assuming, though it's quite clear you have no interest in actual high-level Street Fighter play or the mechanics therein. Whether Justin, Daigo, Mike Ross, GamerBee, Marn, Ricky, Vance, or Valle wins shouldn't be of your concern--seeing matches where both professional players in a match prove why they are at the level they are is the most important part because that makes for the best matches. Yes, anytime I see the random insults here about the players by people hiding behind their computer screens about those they have never met and will never even converse with in an online setting, I have absolutely no issue making a post in reply. If you support such comments, then it is no wonder we disagree.

Street Fighter matches are not black and white, and if you think they are, you are simply mistaken. By just diluting them to wins and losses, you only illustrate your lack of understanding about the game. If that was your intention, marvelous job.

Nonetheless, the fact that your memory is so selective says more about what you think of this one player than it does about my own comments. Then again, your lack of insight is fairly common for the average user of this site, so I suppose I should not be surprised.

Mourne said on October 10, 2010 at 3:42 p.m.

Beyond that and back on topic, Valle had a tremendous night from the moments I was able to catch (only part of the final, sadly). Everyone has been sleeping on Valle but there's no doubt that his Ryu is still dynamic and one of the most exciting to watch; he doesn't fall into a playbook style offense with zoning and zoning and more zoning as often as most. The king of the rushdown isn't over the hill as so many people have said lately. Hopefully video of him vs. Justin will be available soon, because the numbers seem to indicate it was a match he just straight up ran away with. Their last match went in Justin's favor, but I think Justin's play at the time simply wasn't compatible with Valle's--they both couldn't be rushing at once. Valle really needed to take a more conservative approach to counter the Rufus BnB, and looking at the score, I'm going to guess he did just that.

Congrats to both Valle & Ricky for putting on a great finale--it was a great back and forth.

NerfGuile said on October 10, 2010 at 7:21 p.m.

why did my post get edited?

why not just delete the post instead of rewriting it?

editing someones post without showing it being edited is gayer than ricky's fingernails.

btw, i wrote that ricky played well and he also give a [edited]. that is called humor - i dont know why you edit with - ggs here. lol

Catalyst said on October 11, 2010 at 1:37 a.m.

@NerfGuile

Keep it up and a ban is coming next.

Justinbehungry said on October 11, 2010 at 11:58 p.m.

where can i re watch these???

RandomJohn said on October 13, 2010 at 1:28 p.m.

Yea still waiting to see how Justin got his butt raped...