Cross Counter: Juicebox (Abel) vs. Vangief (Zangief)

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • October 9, 2010 at 3:31 p.m. PDT
The latest episode of Cross Counter has been uploaded. It features Juicebox (Abel) against Vangief (Zangief).

In this video, Gootecks and Mike Ross breakdown the match and highlight how dominant Abel's command throw is.

Battle for the West Coast Crown update: This tournament has started and matches are being played. It doesn't look like there will be a live stream, hopefully they'll have videos after the fact. You can get updates on this tournament via Twitter.

Comments

ShaftyCakes said on October 9, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.

My fave Abel vs my fave Gief? WIN!

DevinAmir1 said on October 9, 2010 at 3:48 p.m.

The backdash probably dodged the ultra because it was airborne, and had some invulnerability frames.

chickenwings said on October 9, 2010 at 4:09 p.m.

im sorry that was really crappy comentary, im glad this is the first and last episode i have watched.

ChunLi said on October 9, 2010 at 4:13 p.m.

@DevinAmir1

Pretty much, I would like to add that it's probably a 1/20 chance of happening in a live match again.

There was this time I was Makoto and I did Abare Tosanami a split second after Seth launched his Tanden Stream, when my foot came in contact with Seth, he has a couple frames of invulnerability. I went in to training mode to replicate this, as far as my patience could have gone, it happened roughly 1/13 of the time, the timing is REALLY strict, and his invulnerability is REALLY short, but it is possible.

ScytheWP said on October 9, 2010 at 4:38 p.m.

I thought that was common knowledge that you could backdash Abel's U2. Found that out personally on day 2 of Super.

Catalyst said on October 9, 2010 at 4:40 p.m.

For those that want it, you can get tournament updates from the West Coast Crown tourney on the EventHubs Twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/eventhubscom

R4HU1 said on October 9, 2010 at 4:48 p.m.

BRRRRRRRRRRILLIANT!

BlackHart said on October 9, 2010 at 5:01 p.m.

I seen this match LIVE, and I F****** spazzed when dude backdashed outta the Ultra.

VegaBisonAbel said on October 9, 2010 at 5:54 p.m.

rico suave IS the best abel in the country.

SeQuarnD said on October 9, 2010 at 7:39 p.m.

he hit him with a happy birthday?; i'm going to use that term. for super now.

terror said on October 9, 2010 at 8:43 p.m.

mike ross: we goin to be talking to you about the element of cracking

gootecks: did you say crack???
mike ross: not the kind of cracking you're thinking of

that was the lamest joke i've heard ever in all my days!

and he probably did know how to do the back dash, considering he did it for the first ultra but juicebox didn't release it.

LearningFast said on October 9, 2010 at 8:49 p.m.

LMAO He backdashed out of the U2 wtf happen

tokyobassist said on October 9, 2010 at 10:34 p.m.

Best commentary ever

@JetX
Given that Zangief can punish the FADC BnB so easily if the cr. HP isn't on point, U2 was definitely better choice despite that crazy backdash lol.

Plus the different Ultras are usually there to even out bad matches for a lot of characters. EX. like Abel U2 vs Chun, Bison U2 vs Ryu, Dudley U1 vs Guile (after Sonic Booms or U2) to name a few.

Zeidust said on October 10, 2010 at 1:03 a.m.

I swear...I better not see you cheezy iceholes start paraphrasing the word "Going for the Happy Birthday". I swear you were all over the word "salty" like a Nickleback fan an a new record.

Ex_Ein said on October 10, 2010 at 10:06 a.m.

I'm sorry but as an Abel player I'm laughing at the "happy birthday" because the pose he hits right before doing the super is very surprise "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Ex_Ein said on October 10, 2010 at 10:12 a.m.

chickenwings
it's breaking it down for the mainstream

chickenwings said on October 10, 2010 at 12:28 p.m.

it doesnt matter, it didnt give much insight into what was happening during the match. Just think about it, why is gief a bad match for abel? we know but they didnt explain, what should abel or gief be looking for during the match? again no comment. Killain i feel would have done a better job with a show like this, atleast he gives more specifics(i know he does during his tournament commentaries).

doublef said on October 10, 2010 at 1:44 p.m.

this made me so happy.

Juicebox Abel is the biggest douche in the SF community. He thinks he's such a genius. Then Vance forces him to frantically mash on wakeup 3 times in a row. I love it.

xShonuffx said on October 11, 2010 at 2 a.m.

@18 yeah or someone like Killian, Seth works for Capcom so he does'nt have time to do community stuff like this. I do feel they should have told him what he should have did, thats kind of the point of this. Respects to Gootecks and Mike but you guys need to show not just why it happend but also what they could have done. Keep up the good work though.

And very suprised they did'nt know you could backdash Abels ultra 2 when he dashes at you, I knew that and im long from being pro.

Ex_Ein said on October 11, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.

Chickenwings yes it does because it's something they can go and research themselves or see from themselves what's bad or what they need to lok for. If you ever listen to Gootecks and Mike do tournament commentary that's on point.

gootecks said on October 11, 2010 at 2:36 p.m.

First off, thank you to EventHubs for posting!

Secondly, thank you for the feedback guys, my apologies for the bad jokes. It didn't seem right to tell the #1 Abel player and the #1 Zangief player in the country what they could improve on so that's why we didn't do that.

Yes of course we both know that you can backdash his Ultra, what made it crazy was that he did it right after landing which you don't see everyday. Not to say that you see the backdash of the Ultra every day either cuz you don't.

chickenwings said on October 11, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.

dude, great commentary not only keeps u informed of the action but also educates and for them to pick a paticular match and not get into match up specifics is retarded. "its for the mainstream" that doesnt hold any water. Those mainstream/casual people will stay casual if they dont understand that theres alot more goin on then random button mashs. If i have to do more research on the match after watching commentary from two high level players then that means i wasted my time watching. Look at john madden, when he showcase a play he uses his yellow pen to highlight the action and explained what happen vs what the coach wanted vs what the players did. This is what these guys should have done.

RandomJohn said on October 13, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.

Yea still waiting for the missed Combofiend Invitational matches to be uploaded online...

kingofthesharks said on October 13, 2010 at 2:30 p.m.

1:55 Funny inside joke is funny