Rumor: Arcade release of Super Street Fighter 4 on Oct. 20, 2010

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 24, 2010 at 3:01 p.m. PDT
Rumor: Arcade release of Super Street Fighter 4 on Oct. 20, 2010 Hadoken.net spotted that CoinOpExpress.com has listed October 20, 2010 as Super Street Fighter 4's arcade release date.

Although this information is conspicuously missing from the details page, if you check the frontpage of CoinOpExpress, you'll see this highlighted on the left side of the site under a "Coming Soon" graphic.

This may not be too big of a deal for most fans, as they already have the console version of the game, but for some arcade operators, this will be a welcome addition if it turns out to be the actual release date.

Capcom has also stated that they might add new characters for this release, but nothing concrete has come about yet.

Thanks to Lolento for contributing to this story.

Comments

WorstGiefEVER said on May 24, 2010 at 3:13 p.m.

Man, we need this NOW. I am already bored of SSF4 without the arcade scene in London.

Seth said on May 24, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

Will Casino or Troc even get it though?

NA said on May 24, 2010 at 3:34 p.m.

It better be definitive for a month, before the patches to add all the content hit console. I will be upset if there is any other outcome.

juxtapose said on May 24, 2010 at 3:37 p.m.

Um, well if you'll notice the "Super" part was added in parentheses, and that sounds almost exacly like the description of the PC version of vanilla SF4.

I still think there's going to be a PC version, but this sounds like a misinterpretation that turned into a bad rumor.

Lolento said on May 24, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.

Two notes about this "Windows version":

1. Nobody refers to arcade versions as "Windows" versions, even if the hardware runs Windows. Really, nobody. There's zero chance anyone would be referring to the arcade version.

2. This is just a straight quote from Wikipedia, word for word:

ratedRsuperstar said on May 24, 2010 at 4:37 p.m.

rolento in the new version calling it

2dfightermf said on May 24, 2010 at 4:52 p.m.

#5 but. .....but on the wikipedia version it doesnt say [Super]!

lol @ copy/paste.

yaaboy1993 said on May 24, 2010 at 4:54 p.m.

my birth day

HawkinsT said on May 24, 2010 at 4:56 p.m.

Hah, they said the windows version of vanilla would be "the definitive version" with features not in console (or arcade) versions - what they meant was it would have a tiny optional graphical change and worse net code. Not falling for that one again capcom, I know now you just lie all the time to raise hype =).

BlankaBeast said on May 24, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

PC FTW!!! Cant wait!!! Until then I will be rocking Vanilla PC, so bring it PC peeps.

BlankaBeast said on May 24, 2010 at 5:05 p.m.

...and that was one TASTY grain of salt! Thanks EH!

Losha said on May 24, 2010 at 5:24 p.m.

Thats a beast copy and paste... I laughed

Catalyst said on May 24, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.

@Lolento

Thanks for the update, I'll change the story around. Appreciate it.

BlackHart said on May 24, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.

If they add new characters they betta have Elena, & or Karin.

TrollHawk said on May 24, 2010 at 6:39 p.m.

If they add new characters, it better be a free update for consoles.

It's ridiculous otherwise.

peteer01 said on May 24, 2010 at 6:53 p.m.

October? Someone at Capcom has a pretty generous definition of "Summer".

I suppose the best part of that October date is that it's definitely enough time to add new characters and properly rebalance/tweak properly, if they want to.

Supposedly Super's (the console version) designed to ensure they can update/upgrade the game via DLC, so hopefully any new features in the arcade version would be great news for all of us.

The big question seems to be: If they add new characters, when will consoles get them, and how much will they cost? I'm hopeful that Capcom won't do anything stupid like require purchasing DLC just to keep playing online...but I wouldn't be too opposed to a free patch with all the features, but paid DLC required to play as (but not against) the new characters... Also, I would hope the arcade would get at least a few weeks of exclusivity on any new characters.

Free would be best, but Capcom is a business, so not sure if that'd happen.

SmexyMillz said on May 24, 2010 at 7:03 p.m.

Elena please

Caramujov2 said on May 24, 2010 at 7:44 p.m.

C´mon CAPCOM, let´s talk seriously.
Just say if the PC version will be released or not!

The_Researcher said on May 24, 2010 at 9:24 p.m.

If they put in new characters, I'd say put in Karin, R.Mika, Rolento from Alpha series. Then for SF3 series, put in Alex, Elena and either Q, Yun or Yang. I think those would be AMAZING additions. But if they were to do that, then they would have to add them for console, which would be really cool DLC in my opinion.

yes4me said on May 24, 2010 at 10:11 p.m.

I hope they add extra characters to make it worth to come to the arcade and play the new characters not available on the consoles. Now can I wish for a PC version?

JohnJohnson said on May 24, 2010 at 10:31 p.m.

On the subject of new characters, They were able to add 10 new characters to the game because A) some of them (T. Hawk and Dee Jay) were already mostly made, and B) they had a year plus to add 10 new characters. For them to add new characters by October, the most I would say... if they started earlier in the month or next month, five at best, three at worst. I think that would be the best they could do given the time frame if the the date of Oct. 20 is true.

As for the characters I would like to see: from Alpha, well, Karin seems the most popular from what I'm reading in the comments, Rolento would make scene from a story stand point (he, Cody and Guy were in FF together), and R. Mika is Ono's favorite character. From 3S, Alex is my personal favorite (anyone based on Hulk Hogan already gets points in awesome), Yun and Yang also have some fans, but I would make sure to have both of them in (can't have one without the other) Nerco would add some unique favor to the game, and Elena is also very popular from what I've read.

If they could only add 3, and one of them was an original character, I'd like to see Alex and Rolento because they're my favorites out of everyone possible. Just my option.

CMAyhem said on May 24, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.

wow too long
the game is already made

chickenwings said on May 24, 2010 at 11:38 p.m.

they honestly need to add new characters to the arcade release, without them there is no real incentive to go out and play(seriously, i rather play at him naked with chip ahoy LOL).

lightingft said on May 25, 2010 at 3:28 a.m.

I agree with 22.
If the SSF4 will even be released for PC, it will take about 1 year or even 2 years!

NJCU said on May 25, 2010 at 10:03 a.m.

Capcom should do what Namco did with Soul Calibur: Post release, Yoda and Darth Vadder were offered as DLC for 5 bucks but you could still play against them online, for free, if you chose not to purchase the download. That way the community was not fractured into smaller groups.

raymk said on May 25, 2010 at 10:45 a.m.

Yeah they went over adding new characters before and this is probably why he though of adding new characters via DLC. If they do add characters karin is #1 right now going by just about every game site i go to. It even surpasses rolento who should be here as well.

Nyoronoru said on May 25, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.

Yeah, my local arcade already penned their buy-in for October. Can't wait. Nothing beats the arcade experience.

HYPE_monkey said on May 25, 2010 at 2:58 p.m.

Sorry Millz but i prefer Skullomania...

Can you imagine anti air Skullo dream? xD

47drift said on May 25, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.

*spits out drink* NEW CHARACTERS? KARIN HAS A CHANCE GOOD HEAVENS.