Seth responds further to Marvel vs. Capcom 3 control concerns

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 12, 2010 at 6:17 p.m. PDT
Seth responds further to Marvel vs. Capcom 3 control concerns Several people have commented that they do not like the control scheme that's in the development version of Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Community manager, Seth Killian, jumped into the fray again to explain a bit more of what's going on. Note: The questions below, which are bolded, are paraphrased to give you the gist of what's being said.

Can we get more details on Marvel vs. Capcom 3's control scheme? Could you post a video of you using the Exchange button in the game? Anyway, I still don't think what you guys are doing is a good idea, you should just do things my way.

Seth Killian: I understand the desire for every detail about some of the new stuff, but as I mentioned, it's still very much in development. If the idea is to clear up confusion, it's not helpful to get into a lot of very specific details that may change, especially given the extreme reaction to something most people have essentially misunderstood.

As for "the button" itself, if I posted a video of me playing the game as it is today, you wouldn't even be able to tell that there was anything called "exchange" (again, even that name isn't fixed). I could do a ground series into launch, and then into a standard air combo into flying screen ender, and it would be indistinguishable from an MvC2 scheme. Everyone's concern is really just centered around the fact that it has a new marketing-department name :P

The best way to think about the "exchange" button is:

1) On the ground, it works just like a normal attack button, only it is also everyone character's launcher. There is really no systemic reason why some MvC2 characters have Down-Toward + Hard Kick as a launcher, other have Down + Hard Punch, others are standing Hard Kick, etc. It's just needlessly confusing, and makes new players feel dumb for no great reason. Now everyone knows how to launch — you use this button. Not a big deal.

2) In the air, think of it as an interesting command normal ("command normal" = regular attack that you can give new properties by holding a direction and hitting the button). In some circumstances it works like a much cooler version of Psylocke's Hard Kick that you can do as Up + Hard Kick for a different effect, but this is what you'll see for yourselves soon enough =)

You guys should just stick with the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 system for controls. Besides, what do you know about this game, you're only a public relations guy. You should be listening to the fans who know what they're talking about or the game is going to be ruined!

Seth Killian: Sorry guys, I've tried to be nice with my clarifications, but you're simply off-base. The MvC3 control scheme is overwhelmingly similar to MvC2. Imagine there was a contest between TvC and MvC2 control schemes, with some people arguing for each side. With the way the controls are at the moment, the "We want controls like MvC2" team has unquestionably won.

I have to admit I find it a little humorous that I'm having an argument about this with people who not only haven't played the game, they haven't even *seen* it.

I have MvC3 sitting on my desk, have been playing fighters longer than some of you have been alive, and I'm TELLING you what it's like, but that's somehow no good (because "he's PR," although I do not work for PR, and am credited as "special advisor" for very real reasons, and regardless of any of that, what I'm saying is RIGHT).

"ZOMG it's ruined!" crowd, on the other hand, are basing their despair on one sentence from a scanned magazine article. The article was a first-look overview (and a pretty good one) — but clearly not intending to get into the kind of details that the hardcore guys care about. I understand your concerns, but (so far, at least), they are off-base.

As before — let's hold the "ZOMG it's ruined!" talk until you play the game. You'll get a chance before too long, then we'll talk. Sound fair?

Source: Unity Boards.

Comments

Stop said on May 12, 2010 at 6:23 p.m.

People are stupid, Seth. What can you do?

balmung55 said on May 12, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.

he should just not say anything if people are gonna act retarded

kekz23 said on May 12, 2010 at 6:31 p.m.

just further proves that the MvC2 player base is just stupid, plain stupid.

themgg said on May 12, 2010 at 6:43 p.m.

This game was supposed to be for the fans.
U want to make it more accessible for new comers? trow in an easy mode.
This launching button will make characters more and more similar, is gonna be a stupid casualized game, we the hardcore gamers, the people who have bought your games throughout the years, dont want this game to be dumbed down for the casual gamers.
So far the game has been ruined, everyone is talking about it, this game was supposed to be the biggest event ever and if its not changed i can assure you, that to all the hardcore fans who have been waiting for this for a decade it will be the biggest disappointment in the history of capcom.

BedtimeShoryuken said on May 12, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.

absolutely nothing to worry about. controls will be fine, game will be great.

Nyoronoru said on May 12, 2010 at 6:47 p.m.

Like I said, Seth's real talent is putting up with whiners and crybabies every day.

Stop said on May 12, 2010 at 6:53 p.m.

The point, themgg, is that you have zero idea if the game has been "dumbed down for the casual gamers." You've never played it.
Saying that "the game has been ruined" is perhaps the dumbest dumbing down of anything I've ever heard. S.T.F.U.

SugaFree said on May 12, 2010 at 6:59 p.m.

Seth doesn't need to explain himself. He is actually going out of his way to talk to the dumb-asses who are crying because of a few changes.

Unless you work for Capcom and actually played the damn game, you have no right to complain.

ShadowKnight28 said on May 12, 2010 at 7:01 p.m.

Seth, how you have the patience to deal with these message board idiots all day long is beyond me. We should all just wait til the retail release comes out so we can make legitimate arguments. Until then, let's all stop this theory fighter crap.

WhiteHotTaco said on May 12, 2010 at 7:01 p.m.

Why the hell are people complaining about a game's control scheme when there hasn't been a single gameplay video or any word of people actually playing the game? Are people really this stupid?

Fighter21 said on May 12, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.

Seth Killian I love you, always explaining everything. I just cant wait for the game!!!

Hrm said on May 12, 2010 at 7:09 p.m.

Sounds like Seth is getting tired of us. Which is understandable. The majority of the fandom so far has been acting like a bunch of jackasses.

DMastaGX said on May 12, 2010 at 7:16 p.m.

Seth Killian, You can eat a DICK.

akumous said on May 12, 2010 at 7:18 p.m.

Seth is the best man for this job because they are a lot of annoying little impatient kids. I'm happy with the results of SF IV and SSFIV and is best to wait and see how the game unfolds.

themgg said on May 12, 2010 at 7:19 p.m.

well you guys can keep kissing ass and buy ur stupid dumb down casualise product. so far im skipping this one, until controls are fixed.

Dflowen said on May 12, 2010 at 7:25 p.m.

Just let Capcom finish the game no need to complain it's all in benefit for the all of us. New start, new game new experience.

Lolento said on May 12, 2010 at 7:29 p.m.

themgg, you have pretty strong opinions for someone who, by definition, doesn't know what he's talking about.

boobee_cakes said on May 12, 2010 at 7:31 p.m.

lmao, people are freaking out. It funny because it's gonna be almost the same. The "Echange" button is gonna be the universal launcher, which has nothing wrong with it.

What's even funnier, is that some characters already have an "exhange" button, like Iron man, and Megaman, and that didn't stop people from picking those characters, or just not play the game.

OH NOES! EVEN NOOBS WILL KNOW AIR COMBOS NOW! IT'S NOT A SECRET FOR THE ELITES ANYMORE! F**K THIS GAME!!!

Stop bull*hitting anyways, you know your gonna buy this anyways, just like how you bought Street Fighter IV even "thought it's a lamer than 3rd strike", and how you bought Super even though it you guys thought "it should have been DLC"

don't say you come to this site for 3rd strike news. You haters damn well know your here to find info on Super, like frame data, characters tips and secrets...

Happy trolling y'all

jammasta said on May 12, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.

Honestly, I didn't think MvC2 was that hard to figure out. There was a near-universal launcher anyway, df + P or K depending on the character, two assist buttons, and 2P and 2K buttons on a DC controller, which was pretty terrible. No reason they couldn't have it on a PS3 or 360 controller. I don't really like TvCs control scheme (It just doesn't feel right to have 3 random attack buttons that could be a kick or punch depending on the character, and it will take some time adjusting on an arcade stick). That said, it's really not that big a deal. What matters is how the game will play, and how the controls feel with the game. Neither of which we've really seen yet. I just like the tradition system, but no biggie if they want to change it :P.

I'm getting it anyway :D. There are gonna be ways to configure it to my liking and make it feel a bit more MvC2 or SSF4-like :D.

Smorgasboard said on May 12, 2010 at 7:52 p.m.

Woah there, themgg. I don't know who these "hardcore players" you speak for are but you don't speak for me.

Also, I don't think games are more fun because they are more complex. Variety and options keeps it fresh but that's only if you are capable of accessing those variety and options. More accessible controls would enable more people to enjoy the game without hours of training and guides.

joker101 said on May 12, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

I love Seth. I'd go insane dealing with these durrrr idiots every single day. Keep on keeping on, man.

Triforce said on May 12, 2010 at 8:14 p.m.

"you should just do things my way."

And then have millions of random people who can't even possibly play the game yet on forums complain-and then see how Seth feels about all this ****.

Can't wait for gameplay footage of MVC3. ;-)

Annon said on May 12, 2010 at 8:15 p.m.

I don't get how people praise Seth for the "Wait until you play the game before bashing it" crowd. I never really understood what that argument really meant, if it even means anything, besides being a marketing tool.

To me, it reads as:
"Wait until you buy a product you didn't like to complain about it so we can shrug it off saying it's too late to do any changes."

If a dentist uses too much anesthetic and causes permanent face paralysis or breaks the wrong teeth while pulling out the right one, should I have to graduate in odontology before I have the fight to file a complaint?

I find it incredible that there are people here who spend their entire evening on the comment section complaining about other people who're making their own complaints, instead of watching out for their own interests... whining about whiners is still whining guys.

Blaze_One said on May 12, 2010 at 8:19 p.m.

I hope the dude who called Seth "just a pr guy"s mom stops paying for his internet. lmao implying seth isn't a Fan is f--ckin hilariously ignorant

R4HU1 said on May 12, 2010 at 8:24 p.m.

SK FTW!

BedtimeShoryuken said on May 12, 2010 at 8:36 p.m.

Annon, its not about waiting to buy a final product. we havent even seen gameplay at all yet. the whining is premature in every aspect of the word.

Creeper said on May 12, 2010 at 8:40 p.m.

I agree with you. Complaining is what gets things changed, it lets Capcom know what the community wants. It's erosion that can ultimately help polish the final product. If nobody in the community spoke up, Super Street Fighter IV probably wouldn't even exist. The only problem I see is the manner in which some people conduct themselves, they'd rather swear and yell instead of calmly voicing concerns and offering reasonable ideas that may please everyone. If we want to get stuff done, we have to be mature. If nothing else, it takes away Capcom's chance to use a few obnoxious adolescents as a poor example/an excuse to not do something.

Lalilulelo said on May 12, 2010 at 8:51 p.m.

And Seth Killian attempts to talk to the fan community as if they were adults.

kernelticks said on May 12, 2010 at 8:53 p.m.

Annon, that's why capcom has beta builds for thier games. Just wait until they have a public beta then voice your concerns.

Bison said on May 12, 2010 at 9:02 p.m.

I don't understand what is up with the guys that say it's wrong to question Capcom about the controls. I have been waiting 10 years for MvC3 and they ARE trying to casualize it.

I think you guys who can't value fair debate need to grow up.

Marvel vs Capcom 1 controls are completely superior to MvC2's. They dumb down 2's for the Dreamcast sake. Now they are dumbing it down for the noobies sake.

Dan_CiTi said on May 12, 2010 at 9:03 p.m.

THANK GOD Seth talks some sense into these people.

kernelticks said on May 12, 2010 at 9:07 p.m.

Bison, the public hasn't got a chance to play the game yet to know if the controls feel right. It doesn't make sense to whine about it now, unless you've played it before us?

Batsu said on May 12, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.

Damn people, the game JUST got announced. Just chill and wait a little bit to see more before we go no a rampage. I don't like the 3 button layout period. It's not cuz I think it noobs things up or dumbs things down...I just don't like it. Blazblue did the same control scheme and I can barely stand that game because of it, but I'm willing to wait to see how things develop, we got until next year.

ProtestantPope said on May 12, 2010 at 9:10 p.m.

In the words of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, "Fans are clingy, complaining dipsihts who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The sooner you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it."

I am kind of digging Bison's idea, though. It's reminiscent of SSBB's system and I think the new Blazblue will be doing something like that too, so it could work.

yes4me said on May 12, 2010 at 9:12 p.m.

Kids take games way way too seriously.

Bison said on May 12, 2010 at 9:28 p.m.

I know that is S-Kills argument. But if nothing is said about it now, then when everything is finalized, and we don't like it, it will be too late.

I would rather say something about it now when I already have a good idea how the control scheme is going to be, then to wait, play it and find out it's too late to suggest anything.

Dethscythe said on May 12, 2010 at 9:39 p.m.

Im excited for the game, i hope Dan Hibiki and Cyclops are in it!

Creeper said on May 12, 2010 at 9:43 p.m.

>I think the option to have multiple control schemes will easily solve this problem. There is absolutely no reason why it can't be done, unless now it's out of principal to be right.
That's what I've been saying. I don't really care about this "Exchange" button, it actually sounds interesting. I just don't want to press f"H" (as they call it) to do what my mind processes as HK, I want to press HK like I've always done. It's adding additional thought processes to playing a game that already runs at a mile a minute. If other people want to, that's cool, but it's not like giving people options is going to break the game.

Everyone complained about motion shortcuts in Street Fighter IV after a year of playing the game, and while at one point Capcom mentioned they were considering putting in an option to turn them off, it didn't end up happening. Why can't they just give us babies our bottles? I'm having a hard time buying into this "waiting for the game to be released" business for something people simply don't want forced on them when it didn't change anything in the past. It just reminds me of being a kid and asking my dad if we can stop for icecream on the way home, and him saying "we'll see."

I like Seth Killian, I think he has to deal with a lot of backlash over things he doesn't have direct control over. Unfortunately, part of public relations is filtering out a lot of whining and yelling from fans before reasonable ideas can find their way to developers.

Aejis said on May 12, 2010 at 10 p.m.

That was a really nice troll indeed. Seth will eventually learn how to ignore trolls

Bison said on May 12, 2010 at 10:02 p.m.

S-Kill is a cool guy. I don't know where this thought that since we hate the controls, we must hate Seth parade began.

It's good to see everyone is here to come to his rescue, but I don't see what trouble he is in. We are here to have a discussion about the future of one of the potentially greatest games this decade.

All I am saying is would you rather give input in this game now while it is being developed, or would you rather complain in vain when you already purchased it?

DarkBurialX said on May 12, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.

The gameplay didn't even come out, we shouldn't complain about the controls right now since no one played MvC3 or has seen the gameplay. We need to be patient and wait till we see the gameplay.

DumbDLC said on May 12, 2010 at 10:39 p.m.

Seth is a douche, I just dont like him he is not a special advisor he is a poster boy for capcom who acts like he is doing important stuff

canabalistic999 said on May 12, 2010 at 10:53 p.m.

I feel sorry for Seth Killian he has to deal with this for a living (but i guess its worth it being able play unreleased games and all the other benefits) but really just like what he said its a name for a button period. It wont dumb down characters for all we know combos could be very tight on timing or any number of things could make a universal button a very good thing, for all players not just newbies. Really people Capcom makes the best fighting games always in my opinion and many others opinion i will trust them with the decisions always and decided for final when i play it. Basically to all you whiners stop ur bi*ching tell its released then bi*ch all you want cause you will actually have a solid reason to since you paid for it.

Ex_Ein said on May 12, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.

Capcom Response to people asking for MVC2 Controls:

Seth is PR he talks on behalf of the company of Capcom, though he's "special adviser" this timeout, he's still hyping the game. Now I don't mind that cause he's a respectable player, I do mind when he lies to my face or avoids a question asked.

shinryu said on May 12, 2010 at 11:35 p.m.

lol @ s-kill being "just a pr guy".

RetromanTiga said on May 12, 2010 at 11:56 p.m.

Those people just need to shut the hell up and wait for the game to be released before they start making any judgements....this crap doesnt make any sense....

6ixx said on May 13, 2010 at 12:11 a.m.

Seth is god tier for dealing with all these whiners. This is just like the parry vs focus attack system when sf4 was in the making.

The game isn't out to anyone who doesn't work directly with the development staff and yet the mvc2 fan base thinks they know everything when they really don't know what the hell they're talking about. When mvc2 lost 2 attack buttons to be replaced with assist you sure as hell didn't complain and mvc2 became a great game because of the mechanics that were instilled in it. Capcom is always trying to make new things and be creative with all of their games instead of using the same mechanics over and over with a new cast of characters.

Mvc2 hardcore fans who think new ideas or mechanics are bad don't know what the hell they're talking about. There isn't a single fighting game by capcom of their paticular series that hasn't been altered with each new series. So anything sf2 can only be compared to other sf2 games and the same so on and so forth.

Sf2ww gave us the 1st popular competitive game we all know and love

sf2t gave us faster gameplay with the boss characters available to play for the 1st time

sf2ce gave us a more balanced ver of super 2 but was found later to have a lot of fun combo strings

ssf2 gave us the 1st of the super series with 4 new warriors dee jay, thawk, cammy, and fei long as well as a combo counter which revolutionized fighting games forever

Ssf2t gave us a fast paced ver of ssf2 with the revolutionary super combo meter which to the best of my knowledge is the 1st fighting game to ever had super combos. This is also where Akuma made his 1st appearence

6ixx said on May 13, 2010 at 12:12 a.m.

SF Alpha gave us new mechanic called alpha counters which was the very 1st ver of parry. It cost 1 meter to do but you punish your opponent for his mistakes with little to no risk. Sfa1 was also the 1st street fighter game to have a 3 lv super system with each lv dealing more damage as well as a longer animation. The new characters include Adon, Birdie, Rose, Sodom, Charlie/Nash, Dan. Alpha was also considered the original hd remix lol

SF Alpha 2 gave us a better ver of the alpha counter system, more characters, and the very popular custom combo system. For the 1st time in fighting game history the players can create their own super combo. New characters include Guy, Rolento, Gen, Sakura,

SF Alpha 3 is arguably the best alpha series sf to date. For the 1st time, players can select from 3 different styles. Xism ( ssf2t ) Aism ( Alpha ) Xism ( custom combo ). Although there are 3 different meters, the move properties and animations varied between meters. I can't remember the characters exclusive to alpha 3 but if you care enough google it.

I can go on for each and every fighting game capcom made but Im not. I nor anyone else should have to defend capcom. The work they do for us has always been extraordinary and you shouldn't bad mouth them or tell them how to do their job. They know how balanced their games are and how important simple things like control schemes are but if you aren't willing to evolve then stick with mvc2 cause no one needs your scrub responses. Capcom has always made sure to keep what makes sf, sf and they do for all series. All they are doing is making the game easier for the casual gamer. All the technical parts of what made mvc what it is today will be there and Im sure of that but capcom is a business as well so they are always thinking of ways to attract new players without taking away the key elements of the game that made it amazing. If you can't understand that, you're helpless.

Play the game before you judge it

Smorgasboard said on May 13, 2010 at 1:07 a.m.

You know it's an internet forum when people complain about people who complain about people who complain. Ah internet, you amuse me as usual. :)

EDGEucator said on May 13, 2010 at 1:10 a.m.

Demo on Playstation Network please ?
i dont really care what control scheme they use , im gonna buy the game inregardless lol
Waited too long for this , ya'll need too lay off Seth's dick and wait for a demo,

CrazyCat said on May 13, 2010 at 1:13 a.m.

Well I've never complained myself when SF4 or SSF4 was coming, so don't put me in the same place than those crying fanboys, But, well, I think this scheme kinda sucks.

I was extremely disapointed with 4 buttons-based MvC2, and now, I'm enjoying myself far more with MvC1.

So what will brings a 3 buttons-based + 1 special button fighting game ?
Well I'm scared that the characters will have the same combos.
Why ? Because characters weren't so differents in MvC2, so if we say goodby to 2 other attacks, it'll be worse.

I mean look at the KOF series : the characters have only four attacks and every characters have the same combos.

ScytheWP said on May 13, 2010 at 1:36 a.m.

The controls still worry me, even with Seth making these statements. This may be him just lying to our faces, like he has done so many times in the past with SSF4 information.

Regardless...Unlike MVC2, I'm gonna play MVC3 at a friend's house first, instead of picking it up on it's release.

padplayer said on May 13, 2010 at 1:38 a.m.

Seth,no worries here. like always there are all the haters and wineres till the game comes out and once they get their lil baby hands on it.Then they love the game and can't stop playing it. Keep doing what your doing Seth..U R the MAN!!!!

Hadookie said on May 13, 2010 at 1:57 a.m.

Developers are still fleshing out their incarnation of MVC3, not the fans. Raising our voices now is futile until their product is made available for us to pick apart. We just need to save our voices for when they are willing to listen.

ScytheWP said on May 13, 2010 at 2:04 a.m.

@ 55

Hypothetically, what if the controls were to ruin the game for pro players. TVC is good, but doesn't have nearly as a competitive environment or fanbase of the MVC theories. People are worried if the controls are ruined, then we speak up, it will already be too late for them to do anything about it.

b4ym4n said on May 13, 2010 at 2:13 a.m.

Smorgasboard said on May 13, 2010 at 2:25 a.m.

Why is it when other games have complex controls, it's a failure but then fighting games have complex controls, it's a success? What's up with that?

ScytheWP said on May 13, 2010 at 2:56 a.m.

@ 57

Look at TVC...that game is obviously so complex too...

b4ym4n said on May 13, 2010 at 3:23 a.m.

You missed the point and have proven nothing. It's not going to be TvC and even it it were (which, again, it isn't), complex controls do not mean depth. Look @ games like melee even. That game is complex in a non-traditional way with all of the AT and yet lacks stringent inputs of standard 2D fighters. Fact is, 1) you're a whiner and 2) you'll still play the game regardless of the control scheme. Get over it.

ScytheWP said on May 13, 2010 at 3:31 a.m.

@ b4ym4n

You're argument is becoming redundant and pointless now. To say I'd buy a game if it had broken controls is just wrong. As I said above, if I'm not satisfied, I'm not getting it. Melee was complex because it wasn't developed correctly. Look at how simplified Brawl is. People still say Melee was better...probably in the same way people will be saying MVC2 is better than MVC3 once it's been out for a while.

b4ym4n said on May 13, 2010 at 3:45 a.m.

RE:

Right back @ you. LOL @ your word usage. "Broken Controls". You haven't played the game and a quote unquote "launcher button" is by no means broken. I'm not going to debate smash with you; but, the control scheme between melee and brawl was unchanged (which is what we are discussing btw), it was the lack of hitstun, wavedashing, and L-canceling that brawl garbage. You completely dismissed my point about blazblue and guilty gear. They aren't going to change what they are doing, and no amount of crying you do will change that.

sweatypalm said on May 13, 2010 at 4:39 a.m.

Seth layin the smack down

BluePepsi said on May 13, 2010 at 5:17 a.m.

Glad to see that they're fixing the formula to make MvC3 a better game as opposed to the bug-fest that was MvC2. As for all the whiners: deal with it and stop complaining about simple things like controls. TvC played just fine, and MvC3 has more buttons than it. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. You won't be missed and you probably aren't good at fighters anyways.

Bison said on May 13, 2010 at 5:30 a.m.

That is all I been saying this whole time. There has been many times in the past when people tried to show their dislike about something in a past game, and the response we always get, well it's already developed, too late.

ScytheWP said on May 13, 2010 at 5:53 a.m.

@ Bison

Exactly. Your other points are pretty dead on too. Multiple control schemes would solve the problem. They should pander to newer gamers, but not at the cost of hardcore fans. The VS series have been getting easier and smaller scale than the former, which doesn't seem right. I liked the 6 button lay out, loved the 4 button with 2 seperate assists. There is no need to lose an attack button for a universal launcher. If someone needs a launcher button, then they should stay out of my VS series. Go make another game and call it something different...but don't spread it to MVC3

CrazyCat said on May 13, 2010 at 6:16 a.m.

"I've had enough of you guys whining about simplified controls. It's not going to ruin anything. Look at Blazblue or Guilty Gear with their easy buffers and fewer buttons as opposed to Street Fighter's 1-frame links and 6 buttons. And guilty gear is considered one of the deepest, most technical fighters out there. So, cry some more."

Err.. sorry but Guilty gear uses a lot of buttons :
There is the kick button, punch, slash, hi-slash and dust, plus you have to use dust and another button to make a "burst", you have to tap on 2 buttons to make a romance cancel.
So basicallu, GG uses 5 buttons , and uses combinations of these buttons. But I don't

SmoothJK said on May 13, 2010 at 6:20 a.m.

Seth knows more and considers things more deeply than 99% of you people here. Give it a rest...complain when you actually know something instead of just speculating.

CrazyCat said on May 13, 2010 at 6:21 a.m.

Sorry, I tap enter...

So basicallu, GG uses 5 buttons to do attacks, and uses combinations of these buttons to make other sort of attacks, in MvC3 you'll have 4 buttons to attack, plus 2 assists buttons (but damn, if we have a good ol' 6 buttons scheme, we can do combiantion of these buttons to use assists) and certainly combination of two buttons just to change your character. I don't think there will be some sort of romance cancel or burst attack just like in guilty gear.

kilvoctu said on May 13, 2010 at 6:42 a.m.

PRESS FORWARD TO PARRY!

Nyoronoru said on May 13, 2010 at 6:59 a.m.

"romance cancel"

LOL

I AM DYING OVER HERE

NA said on May 13, 2010 at 7:33 a.m.

This job is going to drive Seth completely crazy.

ultrapowerlevel said on May 13, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.

I just want Megaman X in the game. I dont care about the controls. I like em both ways whether TvC or MvC2.

Seth. Please do something about X. Bring him in the game.

X for MvC3

gauntlet said on May 13, 2010 at 8:03 a.m.

@ #70 i think you mean roman cancel lol.

also i don't really think that the control scheme is a problem...it's the same as mvc2 apart from the fast you just press 1 button without direction to launch...in fact i'm guessing that apart from launching when pressed without direction the button will probably just work exactly like a hard punch or something

gauntlet said on May 13, 2010 at 8:03 a.m.

fact*

ChunLi said on May 13, 2010 at 8:46 a.m.

Can everyone SHUT THE F*** UP ABOUT CONTROLS?!

THEY ARE *CONTROLS*!!!

No matter HOW the controls/mechanics are laid out, casual players WILL be separated from pros. MvC2 crybabies are going to hate like TvC hit the shelves, who gives a s*** about them? Times are changing, games are becoming balanced, and Top Tier abusing is coming to an end.

If you are looking too deep into a game that is STILL in production, that is introducing a FAIRLY COMMON mechanic found in OTHER GAMES, that seems to SIMPLIFY but COMPLICATE that mechanic BOTH ways, STOP BEING AN IDIOT AND GROW THE F*** UP!

doublef said on May 13, 2010 at 9:20 a.m.

I have 100% faith that MVC3 is gonna be awesome.

However, complaining isn't always a bad thing, even in the early stages. For example, what if MVC3 had started out with TVC controls in the early development, and there was no public outcry that the fans wanted MVC2 controls. So nobody says anything, Capcom assumes we're ok with TVC, and the public beta comes out with that control scheme. At that point it's already too late for them to make a dramatic change on the controls.

So "just keeping your mouth shut and waiting to play the game" isn't always the best way to get what you want. But this was just a hypothetical.

I think in this case we'll be fine. Capcom understood what the fans wanted, and knows to make it more of a marvel game than a TVC game. But it never hurts to state your opinion early on (in a non-whiney, respectful way).

karacho said on May 13, 2010 at 9:25 a.m.

its funny how they call it the special button, only to say later it does nothing special

monkeyspank said on May 13, 2010 at 10:22 a.m.

I cant wait to play this game, any game dante is in has to be badass.

SugaFree said on May 13, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.

Whiners keep whining.

You will still buy the game anyway.

WiNGSPANTT said on May 13, 2010 at 11:13 a.m.

Seth is being completely reasonable. Yes, it's POSSIBLE the control scheme will suck, but the reality is that everyone complaining is making baseless accusations and assumptions. Grow up and read what Seth has to say.

Markudea said on May 13, 2010 at 12:58 p.m.

I'll admit that I'm feeling what Bison, ScytheWP and doublef stated. People should make their opinions known early on before the game hits the shelfs or developers believe it unnecessary to go back to make changes. I believe all the button controls should be in the game (just like SSFIV) and they could rename them ("Level 1 control" for newcomers, "Level 2 control" for fans of the MvC2 controls and "Level 3 control" for fans of the MvC controls). Problem solved right there. Let's see if Capcom makes it happen.

bagboy said on May 13, 2010 at 1:40 p.m.

@#80
You obviously never played Devil May Cry 2 :)

I'm fine with the controls as described. From the sound of it, as Seth says, they're not that different from MvC2. Just instead of having to figure out which button or combination of direction and button to press to do do a launcher, everyone has the same command for their launcher. Kinda like TvC, which I know will make a lot of you mad but I don't have a problem with it.

LearningFast said on May 13, 2010 at 1:57 p.m.

I think that people who feel like the controls don't matter is crazy. What they are doing is taking away what made every character in MvC2 into the same thing.

Half the fun of MvC2 was learning the characters you wanted to learn. Like spiderman for explain had two lauches one that you can just call out or the one that was a bit harder to do but was easier to combo in to.

Giving everyone the same thing is stupid in my view. I want my character to be different then the others not just in looks but in buttons and gameplay.

Also if we don't speak up now capcom will just take are money and say it was too late to change anything. Buying the game then complaining doesn't make sense. Capcom needs to know everyones concerns now when they have a chance to change it not after they already have our money

TheCreator said on May 13, 2010 at 4:39 p.m.

@47,48

Pure win statement

ChunLi said on May 13, 2010 at 7:18 p.m.

Haven't you guys ever considered that there will be a Key Config option? Under "Options"? Just throwing that out there.

Look, If you guys are THAT concerned about a game that isn't even FULLY DEVELOPED yet, make your own MvC3.

What's that?
You can't?
Oh well, looks like you'll have to wait until this one comes out.

Bison said on May 13, 2010 at 7:59 p.m.

@Chun Li
That's why I had to beat you up over and over in all the past Street Fighter games because you didn't know when to keep your mouth close. ;-)

TheCreator said on May 13, 2010 at 8:39 p.m.

@Bison LOL

Smorgasboard said on May 13, 2010 at 8:50 p.m.

Air combos are an important part of MvC and one of the ways to highlight that as efficiently and effectively as possible is to have a specific button that triggers the whole thing. Players should be able to enjoy the GAME intuitively, not after hours of watching online tutorials and getting their ass kicked.

Capcom has always made fighting games for the hardcore players but it realized that it has been doing that at the expense of the casual crowd. SF4 was trying to bring back the SF2 feeling where anyone can just jump in and start playing.

Arguing takes more than just considering things that matter to you. If you want Capcom to change their mind, you'll have to give them a reason that matters to them and that is getting more people to play their games.

DxEggman said on May 16, 2010 at 7:21 a.m.

NOOO this game will be for casuals!! how can capcom just ditch us hard core gamers!! how dare they!!
God forbid someone hasnt played every capcom fighter ever. Newsflash: there's a lot of players between the so called hardcore and so called casual. I've been playing every SF since WW, but it's mostly between the cpu and friends. I consider myself a casual, cause I may be a nerd, but I have enough pride to disassociate myself from the typical hardcore idiots that have been popping up a lot lately, since sf4 (and brawl i guess) decided to appeal to a wider audience.

Yeah, I know, TR;DL....

zapikachu said on May 21, 2010 at 3:42 a.m.

"On the ground, it works just like a normal attack button, only it is also everyone character's launcher. There is really no systemic reason why some MvC2 characters have Down-Toward + Hard Kick as a launcher, other have Down + Hard Punch, others are standing Hard Kick, etc. It's just needlessly confusing, and makes new players feel dumb for no great reason. Now everyone knows how to launch — you use this button. Not a big deal."

People learned to get used to launchers since XMvsSF, MSvsSF, and MVC. Hell I might as well throw in Rivals schools/Project Justice and Tekken. Learning a character's specific launcher(s) is/are apart of learning the character themselves. This is not new nor is it that complicated. Just because people don't want to "feel confused" because they dont really want to take any time to test out moves to learn a character, it's the game's control scheme's fault? Well let's give everyone a universal launcher because it's "too hard to learn". It's not rocket science...

6 normal moves for each character. A launcher is gonna be from a medium or a heavy attack. It can be crouching or standing. So you take a character and stand and press the weak attacks to get the meduim or try the heavies. Then you just do the same for crouching. Some characters have more than one launcher some like Spider-man had 4. Since different launchers knock opponents up at different heights, this added to different combo possiblities. You make one universal launcher for everyone and you can/might/will/may limit future combo possibilities.

MVC2 being played the way it is at this level was pretty much a mistake in many ways as I probably assume that the creators didn't expect it to of been played how it is now. But if players made a game "with complicated launchers" work well and exceed the expectations, why complain about it. It's been 10 years.... It's not the control schemes fault that people don't know which launcher is which, it's the players who won't take some time to learn it. Making a Universal launcher seems like is just belittling gamers everywhere who can handling the original control scheme by making it simpler and a bit limited. "Yeah we don't want smart gamers, we just want a lot of them..."

KO_Dread said on September 4, 2010 at 4:58 p.m.

It's as simple as making a MvC Control scheme, a MvC2 control scheme and the new scheme (the new sceme being the default of course). I liked the first one the best,not the second; the 4 button setup (two kicks and two punches) was bad and i doubt id like the third setup because i like the organised way of kick buttons for kick knockups and punch buttons for punch knockups and other things. control schemes would show that they care about all players and not just newcomers. i understand why people get angry about this. I have a few issues myself with microsoft's kinect.