Early Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars tiers list

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 17, 2010 at 3:40 a.m. PDT
Early Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars tiers list Martin "Marn" Phan and Nyoronoru have both recently compiled early tier listings for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

The game has only been out since late January 2010, so what you'll find below is a basic ranking of the characters without a full on match up chart. Important Note: These rankings could change dramatically as the game continues to age.

Marn recently took 1st place in Final Round XIII TvC UAS tourney and looks like he'll be one of the top players in competitions this year, while Nyoronoru is the resident expert on the game.

As with all tier listing, these should also be taken with a grain of salt as they never tell the whole story. Even top players often disagree with each other as to how the rankings stack up overall.

Marn's Tier Rankings

S Rank:
Zero, Alex, Jun The Swan

A Rank:
Tekkaman Blade, Saki, Ryu, Chun-Li, Yatterman-1, Yatterman-2, Joe The Condor, Frank West, PTX-40A

B Rank:
Karas, Casshan, Polimar, Doronjo, Tekkaman, Ippatsuman, MegaMan Volnutt, Roll, Batsu

C Rank:
Morrigan, Ken The Eagle, Kaijin No Soki, Viewtiful Joe

D Rank:
Gold Lightan

Here's how Nyoronoru thought the characters stacked up.

Nyoronoru's Tier Rankings

S Rank:
Tekkaman Blade, Ryu

A Rank:
Chun-Li, Jun the Swan, Ippatsuman, MegaMan Volnutt, Saki, Kaijin No Soki, Yatterman-1, Zero

B Rank:
Alex, Batsu, Casshan, Doronjo, Frank West, Joe The Condor, Karas, Ken The Eagle, Morrigan, Polimar, PTX-40A, Tekkaman, Yatterman-2

C Rank:
Roll, Viewtiful Joe

D Rank:
Gold Lightan

Leave a comment with your thoughts below.

Comments

AoKenji said on March 17, 2010 at 3:49 a.m.

Nice...I remember a long while ago that Alex was seen as one of the worst in the game, so I'm definitely loving his increase in rank, at least in some peoples' eyes.

dequann said on March 17, 2010 at 4:28 a.m.

why makes zero so awesome i feel liek karas has a better rushdown than him

Megatonbeef said on March 17, 2010 at 4:37 a.m.

Marn is a pure rushdown player who never gives up the offence, his choices clearly represent that play style.

Cammy said on March 17, 2010 at 5:18 a.m.

Looks like the one thing there's no confusion about is that Gold Lightan sucks.

Shame, cause I think he's a fun character, beeing so huge and all.

SoundwaveButcher said on March 17, 2010 at 5:30 a.m.

whats the deal with alex,is he low or high tier.

Faildog said on March 17, 2010 at 5:37 a.m.

Zero and Ryu have been my team regardless of Tiers. IU play Ryu in ALL games, even if he's got a terrible launcher in MvC2. But with that said, they both deserve S-Tier on all lists, not separately.

SirHonor said on March 17, 2010 at 5:53 a.m.

Who did Marn use at Final Round? I missed the streaming along with SF4. For an early list, it looks rather interesting (Marn's). I have some disagreements but it's not bad I suppose.

shannaro1992 said on March 17, 2010 at 6:31 a.m.

Roll in B-tier or C-tier? Haha, nice! Go Roll!

PhinnyCupcakes said on March 17, 2010 at 6:58 a.m.

I agree with Nyoronoru in saying that tekkaman blade is S

KenScrub said on March 17, 2010 at 7:19 a.m.

Go D-boy Go!

machineking1313 said on March 17, 2010 at 7:25 a.m.

Alex is S and B? What a difference in opinion!

Psycho said on March 17, 2010 at 8 a.m.

Alex is S-tier in this game? a grappler S-tier mmmmmh this game must be very different to MVC2

SakuraXD said on March 17, 2010 at 8:04 a.m.

Whoever listens to this is honestly a scrub. Everyone is viable in this game you just gotta be good lol and both these guys haven't spent nearly enough time on playing to say anything. Not saying anyone has, just they haven't

CDiggity said on March 17, 2010 at 8:05 a.m.

Eh...wait a couple months from now. I want to see an offical tier list vs. two lists that two pro players came up with

SakuraXD said on March 17, 2010 at 8:16 a.m.

you forget, anyone can beat a pro lol

yakno said on March 17, 2010 at 8:41 a.m.

I've been rockin Jun the Swan and Casshern since day one! kay bye

Nyoro said on March 17, 2010 at 9:03 a.m.

Gentlemen, that one was a work in progress... haha. In during you all rushing to pick Tekkaman Blade, keep in mind that's just my opinion.

Personally I think that this game is so incredibly balanced that you should have no problem winning with any team.

I would like to hear your thoughts on my tier list and see if there are characters that seem out of place to you. Roll, for one, I am not sure about.

riku45 said on March 17, 2010 at 9:03 a.m.

Alex is S tier...his stun gun reset como is more damaging than the stungun to stungun combo in the original game

Firegod said on March 17, 2010 at 9:09 a.m.

Honestly I first of all want to say that the mear fact that 2 diffrent people have such diffrent opinons on the characters makes me know that what Ive read is right. Aparentlye veryone IS viable in the game.

2nd of all, its just early stuff, it may change, but im loveing what im seeing so far. Wish i got to play the game more often.

AceKillah said on March 17, 2010 at 9:31 a.m.

yea im glad to see zero is a beast i dont even have this game but im a huge zero fan XD Zero > Megaman

SmoothJK said on March 17, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.

#19 Firegod: You mean everyone except Gold Lightan ;) (and maybe Viewtiful Joe).

DaHumanSpyda said on March 17, 2010 at 11:37 a.m.

Alex is my main in this... and SF3:3S lol
Glad to see Marn recognizes his potential!

MAXIMUM_PANTS said on March 17, 2010 at 11:39 a.m.

I dunno, the only time I interetested in Tiers when it's a bit more mathematical, like the SFIV Tiers, which are ultimately the cumulative scores of all the characters on a per-match-up basis decided in agreement by the playerbase.

Just the seperate opinions of two guys (regardless of who they are), does not a tier list make.

Ex_Ein said on March 17, 2010 at 12:27 p.m.

Max gauge+great Rush down Alex =screwed

darkneos said on March 17, 2010 at 1:06 p.m.

Ken the Eagle as C RANK!!! This is an OUTRAGE!!!! I play him all the time and have yet to find any other character like him. In fact I beat out whole teams just using him alone.

And Alex, please, I can easily swat him down with PTX. Also pleased with his placement, and yes I can beat ANY Lightan player any day of the week with PTX.

GO GIANT ROBOTS!!! (except lightan)

SmashBros101 said on March 17, 2010 at 1:28 p.m.

It's hilarious, Morrigan somehow sneaks into most of Capcom's spinoffs because they like her so much...and yet she ALWAYS ends up sucking as a character...
Capcom just stop putting her in spinoffs...

Firegod said on March 17, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.

@#21 you know whats funny is that I havent seen a Viewtifull Joe work at all yet lol.

I really would love to see how that fool is suppose to be run, but I always see VJ fail.

Firegod said on March 17, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.

Also are there any vids of tvc aus from Final Round XIII. I cant find any good tvc matches anywhere, kinda sucks

ricefarmer said on March 17, 2010 at 2:32 p.m.

Hyperbomb69 said on March 17, 2010 at 3:18 p.m.

Wait Alex??? S rank??? you serious? thats awesome!!

mrsbonbon said on March 17, 2010 at 5:25 p.m.

Saki is A all the way best recognize

Psycho said on March 17, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.

Oh I didn't know Zero was in this game, I love that guy

toge said on March 17, 2010 at 8:12 p.m.

You guys take tiers too seriously.

ApolloCreed said on March 18, 2010 at 3:31 a.m.

As soon as I ve seen the game I knew Alex would be a killer. His Ultra has too much priority and start very quickly

Yoshi13 said on March 18, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.

If you combine the tier lists, you get something like this.

S
Zero, Jun The Swan, Tekkeman Blade, Ryu

A
Chun-Li, Alex, Saki, Yatterman-1

B
Ippatsuman, Megaman Volnutt, Joe The Condor, Frank West, PTX-40A, Yatterman-2

C
Polimar, Doronjo, Karas, Casshan, Tekkaman, Batsu, Kaijin No Soki,

D
Roll, Ken The Eagle, Morrigan

E
Viewtiful Joe

F
Gold Lightan

I put the characters in the order of how they agreed. They both agreed that Lightan is D, so he's in the bottom (had to create a few tiers just to push them into categories).

Nothing terribly useful, but it seems to make sense when it's combined as well.

SJDevs said on February 23, 2011 at 5:40 p.m.

Casshan's damage output is high and so is his stamina. He should be higher on that list.