Daigo interview on Capcom-Unity

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 16, 2010 at 1:25 p.m. PDT
Daigo interview on Capcom-Unity A while back Seth Killian asked the community to send him a bunch of questions for an interview with Daigo Umehara. Daigo selected the questions he would answer and they've been posted on Capcom-Unity.

This isn't the most exciting interview you'll ever read, but it's worth checking out. Here's a healthy grab.

How are you able to adapt your fighting style to a new opponent quickly?

You should play as many varieties of player as possible, and learn about the variety of play styles. That's the first step. And the next step is to think about a reason behind his actions, like “why this particular player did this?” and “why did he do that?” in light of his particular style. You have to analyze his thinking process. By doing so, you'll start to see a formula that runs through a given category of players. That way, you can pretty much quickly adapt your style to a new opponent in a short span and will be able to make decisions based on your analysis and formula, which would also help you stay calm.

If Togeki and EVO were on the same day, which would you attend? Why?

Without hesitation and without doubt, EVO! I've been telling everyone about this (Seth, I'm not trying to get on your good side!) There are several reasons. The biggest reason is the tournament rules. Not limited to Togeki, but many tournaments in Japan do give players only one chance, one match. You lose once, and you are done. I find that very dissatisfying. A player like me who practices so hard for a tournament doesn't get to try out what he has worked for. If we lose in the first round, which can happen to every dedicated and strong player, there is no other chance. We are just left with frustration. The amount of efforts we pour into the event and the moment do not match up for the opportunity we are given. On the other hand, EVO gives every player a fair chance and every player can have fun playing and leave with satisfaction. We all can show the result of days and hours of our hard work. Even if you lose, you can admit your loss and leave in content. And the prize is bigger! That certainly helps too. All in all, EVO is kind to all fighting players. EVO is dedicated for us, and that's why I love EVO.

Comments

Cotton said on March 16, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.

Awesome words!

tstvicentini said on March 16, 2010 at 2 p.m.

great words Daigo!

OG said on March 16, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.

Does Daigo even have a regular job?

TheOneandOnlyone said on March 16, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.

Yeah shout out to Diago aka the BEAST,yea i hate the one and done idea to i feel.Like a match can't be settle in one match to. You need time to read your opp if you know what i mean well best luck at EVO.

CharlieNash said on March 16, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.

gayest jacket ever.. atleast if somebody were to wear this in my country, everyone would assume he's gay

ricefarmer said on March 16, 2010 at 2:53 p.m.

Gutter_Trash said on March 16, 2010 at 3:09 p.m.

@#3 Daigo makes like $15,000 to $30,000 a year through fighting tournaments and has a $7,000 sponsorship a year from various T.V series (not much to be on T.V if you ask me). Plus he gets to travel to most parts of the world for free sometimes all expenses paid. I think he worked at something called the Aomori House and did some bar and restaurant work for a few months but, not sure what he is doing now. The gets to do what he loves and get paid for it well worth it if you ask me. Plus he's kind of has that Ryu mentality of just getting up and going to where ever he feels like. Maybe that's why he always carries a bag around.

THTB said on March 16, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.

Quite interesting Daigo would pick EVO over Togeki, and his reasonings behind it.

So even one of Japan's finest sees the tournament format over there as kind of unsatisfying if you lose early.

DaigosAfro said on March 16, 2010 at 3:30 p.m.

They deleted my comment too. :-( guess I'll go back to lurking

Teinted_Gene said on March 16, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.

@Charles Nash

Its well known that Japanese women really like their men on the feminine side rather the overly masculine side.

To be clear; not gay............. just slightly feminine (metro-sexual or something like that)

jaysenedwinward said on March 16, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.

I started dressing in slimmer clothes in the past three years and notice a difference in the way i'm perceived. When I saw that Daigo pic i was like "That looks a tad girly"... The I said... "hmmmm, I'd wear that actually."

I guess it all depends on how satisfied you are with your masculinity. If you are scared by the way daigo is dressed in that pic, its safe to say you don't feel like a real man unless you are surrounded by stereotypical manly things like... beef jerky and Ralph Lauren Cologne

Nyoro said on March 16, 2010 at 4:58 p.m.

What a weird conversation turn. Anyway, there were over 100 questions asked, and they only answered a couple.

Aquaman said on March 16, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.

@ CharlieNash

it's comments like that, are reason why Bison killed you

TheRealDiegoUmejuarez said on March 16, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.

Lol bytch @ss eventhubs removed it again

Shantotto said on March 16, 2010 at 5:49 p.m.

lol @ how the comments changed from Daigo being at EVO to clothes.

Zanchief said on March 16, 2010 at 7:38 p.m.

yea diago is a molceular biologist

kraken said on March 16, 2010 at 7:39 p.m.

diago's personal army has arrived

Supersf4 said on March 16, 2010 at 8:09 p.m.

I know this is off topic.
But on psn today there have been some really good japan flag replays.
maybe some of the QA guys,or maybe not.
check em out.
Rose
Seth
Gen
Few i remember.

bananainsaneface said on March 16, 2010 at 10:47 p.m.

If you read his other interview on eurogamer he has a regular job at a hospital and he also writes for a magazine.

Paine said on March 16, 2010 at 11:08 p.m.

I'm not going to lie, but the jacket does look a little gay, and I'm using the word gay extremely lightly. Funny how the word gay gets thrown around all the time now.

RA_MO said on March 17, 2010 at 1:06 p.m.

It does not matter how he is dressed... That has nothing to do with who he is or what he does.. I think he looks just fine. He is just as proud of his fashion sense as his is about his fighting game abilities...

I so hope to face him one day... And I know he will beat me several times, but I will just keep returning for a rematch... And even if I manage to beat him, It will all just continue :)

AirJuggleDotCom said on March 18, 2010 at 9:32 a.m.

isn't Daigo a rocket surgeon?

TomAyto said on March 18, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

lol he never said daigo was gay he said the jacket was gay and u guys have to admit it really does look a bit odd to be a guys jacket. no im not insecure about my masculinity b/c i wear tight ass jeans. that may be the style in japan but in america that jacket would be looked at as a females clothing item.