ShackNews interviews S-Kill, a few new Super Street Fighter 4 notes

Posted by Catalyst
March 15, 2010 at 7:39 p.m. PDT
ShackNews interviews S-Kill, a few new Super Street Fighter 4 notes ShackNews is the latest website to get some face time with Capcom's Seth Killian and ask him a round of Super Street Fighter 4 related questions.

This piece covers a good bit of ground you've read else where, but there are a few interest nuggets in the article too, so it's worth glancing over. Here's a grab.

ShackNews: Did Capcom and the developers pay attention to character tier-lists when developing Super Street Fighter 4?

Seth Killian: They are very aware of those lists. Let me just say, for anyone that doesn't know this, the people at Capcom QA are killer. People are like, "Capcom QA didn't even know about this." Capcom QA knows about almost everything. Not absolutely everything because a million great players playing together will discover things that QA didn't know about. But the QA guys are no joke.

This guy Raoh, who is a Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike player, made a name for himself on the competitive circuit and did very well in Japan. He did very well in EVO here in America. He used to work at Capcom QA and wasn't even in the top 20 players on the QA team.

The QA guys don't enter tournaments so that's why they don't have reputations on the street, but they are unbelievably good at the game. If there was a tournament of all of Capcom QA against players around the world - I don't know how many top players would survive to the finals against the QA guys. It would be a bloodbath.

These guys are extremely good. They are very smart, strong players. So we know Sagat is stronger than a lot of the other characters. There's always going to be winners and losers in any balance chart. Nobody likes to hear that, but that's part of what makes Street Fighter interesting.

Difference in character strength is part of the nature of a SF game. It's something we don't try to avoid. Ultimately, in the current ranking charts, there are a few mismatches, but for the most part I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any other competitive fighting game with a closer balance across all the characters.

Thanks to Yes4me for this.

Comments

Monicker said on March 15, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.

Maybe the QA guys could record a tournament and show the rest of the world just how good they really are?

It would be interesting to say the least.

Mash said on March 15, 2010 at 7:48 p.m.

great

Lazy said on March 15, 2010 at 7:48 p.m.

I wish someone would cover the apparent rumors of E. Honda being god tier in SSF4.

RedEther said on March 15, 2010 at 7:49 p.m.

Play hard, take risks, train up, and you'll be rewarded with low tier, mid tier, and upper tier wins. At the end of the day like I to say its whoever plays the best in that match will win every time no matter what character you have if you lose think about how you lost and go back to the lab and train.

RedEther said on March 15, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.

Play hard, take risks, train up, and you'll be rewarded with low tier, mid tier, and upper tier wins. At the end of the day I like to say its whoever plays the best in that match will win every time no matter what character you have if you lose think about how you lost and go back to the lab and train.

FraggleRock said on March 15, 2010 at 7:51 p.m.

I would love to see these QA players have an invite tournament where they play all the best players from around the world. Just to show how good they really are. I have a hard time believing that they could be so much better than the rest of the world, if anything maybe they're like Mago, J. Wong and Daigo's level. But I can't see them being that much more superior

Psycho said on March 15, 2010 at 7:52 p.m.

Lol same argument over and over

kraken said on March 15, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.

Well said RedEther, one of the the most true comments I've seen posted here.

recovery said on March 15, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

this game needs some serious air-recovery
one super stock per recovery

chickenwings said on March 15, 2010 at 8:06 p.m.

So those qna guys knew about the bs and left it in the game? Honestly LOL. I mean seriously, it sounds better if capcom said "hey we didnt know we screwed up we will fix it", but now there saying that they knew. So what excuss do they have for leaveing 90% of the cast lacking somethin with 2 characters that have freakin everything. Seth isnt makeing them look good.

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 8:07 p.m.

.....I think Seth is lying...i'm sorry but Seth is on the road so much I doubt he's seen the QA guys that much. and as the first person who posted said if they're godly lets see some vids

Gutter_Trash said on March 15, 2010 at 8:09 p.m.

Ryu is not even that broken. He's just good but, not overly good like Sagat. I don't mind how Ryu is now but, Sagat definitely is way too unbalanced. Ryu IMO is one of the weakest S or A Tier characters out there.

chickenwings said on March 15, 2010 at 8:12 p.m.

@redether

nobody said it was impossible to win with low tiers, but the fact is i have to put in double or triple the work to win against someone useing the "strong" characters. Thats not right anyway u look at it. Its like boxing with a guy that has 4 foot long arms, yea u can get in and throw some hands on him but its gonna be an uphill battle. ANd lets face it, when u pick a character like ryu or sagat the match is urs to lose and even so all u need to do is fadc ultra.

juxtapose said on March 15, 2010 at 8:12 p.m.

Ugh... Killian always dances around the questions and never actually answers anything. I've had enough of these lame interviews, let's just release the game already.

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 8:13 p.m.

Chicken Wings it's QA(Quality Assurance)

but yeah Seth pretty much said "oh well we knew Sagat was god tier but didn't balance" but was saying before the release of SF4 "Well this is the most balanced SF" when it's not true since Ryu,Rufus,Balrog and Sagat are the "top tier" characters that you see a lot in tournaments kinda like SF3 where Yun,Chun,Ken and Dudley dominated.

MrTanooki said on March 15, 2010 at 8:15 p.m.

#10 has the idea

Why spend weeks on end practicing characters like Fuerte, Viper, and Gen when you can just pick up characters like Ryu Rufus and Balrog and just focus on winning? With Fuerte Viper and Gen you have two opponents; the person you're playing against and the game itself.

roarmonster said on March 15, 2010 at 8:33 p.m.

why are there so many scrubs on this websight.....
just soooo many of them, they flood this place. some reasonable voices but my god man the stupid shlt i read here

roarmonster said on March 15, 2010 at 8:37 p.m.

@fist of lambda.
ur such a arrogant little dipshlt. first of all i believe that the QA guys must be good. why is because at the higher levels sagat is still great, but not nearly as all powerful as he seems at low and mid tier. when sf4 first came out i thought he was way broken but as i got better and better he got worse and worse. People like you that just go on line and bitch about the game are just mad because you dont know how to play the game right. Sagats overpoweredness would make some sense if these guys were as good as he was saying, because at there level he isnt nearly as overpowered as angry little scrubs like you make him out to be

Blanks said on March 15, 2010 at 8:40 p.m.

I'm tired of reading his interviews too. It's obvious that he and the designers know the game is unbalanced, but try to make it somehow seem like it's good for the game.
It's not.
It just leads to shotos flooding online matches. Which would be very easy to argue is bad for the game and its players. I'll still get SSF4, but this is bull.

roarmonster said on March 15, 2010 at 8:44 p.m.

@blanks
see your right but what there trying to do is provide stepping stones for people. Sadly the characters that are easy to use to start of with are still great later on, i think they should nerf ryu more so that begginers can use him but it wont be necesarily who they want to stick with once they get a little better. As for the bad balance bieng good this is somewhat true, but again ryu is definetly not the juggernaut a lot of people make him out to be. He has a lot of answers and is good overall, but it usually comes down to who the better player is. I used to beat ryus, begginer and pretty decent ones, all the time with dhalsim and abel.

eeeealmo said on March 15, 2010 at 8:45 p.m.

man you people will complain about anything. at least wait for the god damn game to come out before you start whining like bitches.

Shantotto said on March 15, 2010 at 9 p.m.

Like I said before, there will never be a completely 100% balanced game ever. I don't know if people will ever know that... SF IV isn't as bad as other games out there. I took about 5 mins to look at the tier list of 3rd Strike, SF4 and HD Remix(from this website) and average out the best character and the worst character's matchups and compare.

SF 3rd strike
Chun Li - 6.8333
Sean - 2.9444
~3.8889 difference

SF 4
Sagat - 6.1667
Dan - 3.8750
~2.2917 difference

SF2HD
Balrog - 5.6000
Zangief - 3.9333
~1.6667 difference

SF4 is more balanced than 3S but HD remix is actually more balanced than both (If you are complaining about Sagat being over powered go look at Chun Li in 3rd strike lol).

But remember, that's all number data based on matchups if players are the same skill blah blah. Take this as however you want i really don't care. just thought I'd point it out

DJay2411 said on March 15, 2010 at 9 p.m.

@Roarmonster well said my friend, well said. The whole thing about Sagat is true, with people moaning. These are the people that just jump constantly and make it easy for a Sagat player to use his juggles etc...the same people that moan when they jump in aimlessly to a Ryu AA Jab DP into Ultra. Sure you need tactics to beat these characters and for me that comes down to the individual to play smart and not give these characters the easy way out. We all know what these characters can do, and the best players know what their character can do and they enforce it on the opponent. I'm not fussed about fighting Ryu and Sagat anymore, I'm more scared of Honda and Dictator...and Elf lol

NJCU said on March 15, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.

Those Q and A guys are like the invisible boy: he is only invisible when nobody is watching. Im a beast my self....i just dont enter tournaments...thats why I dont have a reputation on the streets. But believe me it would be bloddbath!!!

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 9:10 p.m.

QA(QUALITY ASSURANCE)
not Q&A(Question an answer)
Know what QA stands for before using the words there's no & or and or n' in there it's QUALITY ASSURANCE not QUALITY AND ASSURANCE

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 9:11 p.m.

alot since he knows how to do alot of the moves with little error while playing cross handed

CAKE said on March 15, 2010 at 9:19 p.m.

are the alternate costumes from the original street fighter 4 gonna be included in super street fighter 4

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 9:21 p.m.

doesn't matter about match up numbers, or match up it's about facts and the fact it is more balanced then SF4

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 9:21 p.m.

yes cake they are going to be

Speedwagon said on March 15, 2010 at 9:26 p.m.

WAH WAH MY FAVORITE CHARACTER ISNT AS STRONG AS SOME OTHER CHARACTER

That's all we hear here.
Maybe you guys want Vanilla Fighter 4: Everyone's the same and it's boring Turbo to get released.
Grow up, stop blaming anything other than yourself, and get better. Easy as that.

NJCU said on March 15, 2010 at 9:27 p.m.

Wow Ein!!! I wasnt aware typos were prohibited here!!!m sorry is not Ein is Ex-Ein I suppose you would prefer I know what Ex- stand for before I post. And is not "alot" is "a lot" know how to spell before using the words Neophyte!!! Pointless

Bookerjj said on March 15, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.

@ Shantotto

Lets be real man, if you are going to judge the game balance judge the whole game, put Akuma on the list on HDR, and show the real Balance, the man is banned for a reason and David Sirlin, rebalanced this game knowing how Akuma was.

Sakura said on March 15, 2010 at 9:31 p.m.

Okay...Why the f*ck do people keep bringing up other games to justify SFIV?

Is The game the most balanced street fighter game to date? If so, Cool Beans!

Does that mean the game should stop improving? Hell No...

it's like saying, "Hey! No one else is doing any better...why should I?"

imagine if every game developer thought this way...

PhinnyCupcakes said on March 15, 2010 at 9:35 p.m.

so #38, who do you play?

j0e said on March 15, 2010 at 9:36 p.m.

Apparently nobody tested Claw in QA :[

Nelaelu said on March 15, 2010 at 9:37 p.m.

@recovery #11

Recovery like in Alpha3? I always thought that it looked dumb as hell! Alpha3 had some good things(like number of characters), but overall it was the worst one from Alphas (even though i still enjoyed it). It contained good ideas, but at the same time had too many awkward looking things (like some air grabs, rolls, not to mention several air recovers in a row or after a super!). Because of that the game suffered in clarity and visuallity... it was an attempt to get versitality at any cost. Sorry...

THawk said on March 15, 2010 at 9:37 p.m.

HDR is not more balanced than SF4.. lol

Most of you are scrubs and have no clue what you're talking about. gtfo

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 9:38 p.m.

I see no reason to space "a" from "lot" since I'm on the internet when not applying for a job or typing an e-mail to my boss or teacher or some one I just want to show my respect. I'm not sure why you take an internet forum this seriously. however the fact beside me using "alot" you must admit I make a good point. and it's "it is" or "it's" not "and is not 'alot' is 'a lot' ". Remember your spelling before you try to correct some one there spelling

Ex_Ein said on March 15, 2010 at 9:46 p.m.

Anyway it's not as if I misspelled, the word I simply fused two words together while it's incorrect written English my intent is still understandable intent and is not like me fusing Hadouken and spam it's a common word "a" and a common word "lot"

Nelaelu said on March 15, 2010 at 9:47 p.m.

@recovery #11

Your idea isn't bad, but i think managing juggles well (and fair) is a better solution...

I think no juggles (or almost no juggles) like in many old sf is far better that overjuggling like in Alpha3

Adjacent said on March 15, 2010 at 9:53 p.m.

Seth Killian is good at his job.

CL93 said on March 15, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.

Man i would love to see these guys take Daigo on.

CL93 said on March 15, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.

i still wanna know why the hell is seth SO WEAK? the first time i got the game, i couldnt beat the guy for weeks! and when you unlock him and get to use him, his attacks take away low damage and his STAMINA is horrible! (750). Come on wtf like 2 spinning piledrivers from zangief and he's already dead!

And the old school favorite Guile still hasnt gotten the benefits he deserves; they shouldve at least made the sonic hurricane larger, or a move that surrounds him and that hits from the front and back just like in MvC2.

GrimmjawJin said on March 15, 2010 at 10:08 p.m.

I love how everytime someone asks about balance in SSf4 seth keeps beating around the fu(king bush. He's basically saying that bad matchups make the game more interesting. What a bunch of bull$hit. Shotos will flood online..... again.

Nelaelu said on March 15, 2010 at 10:09 p.m.

RedEther #6

The fact that I win tournaments in g1 with Danny and beat 60k Sagats doesn't prove that skill is everything...

People have similar limitations. The closer players get to those limitations the more important it is what characters they use...

MrTanooki said on March 15, 2010 at 10:13 p.m.

The fact that you consider online play as a testament of your skill nulls your opinion.

Realpolitik said on March 15, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.

Shantotto makes a convincing argument. Good job on the numbers.

Nelaelu said on March 15, 2010 at 10:22 p.m.

@Clovr4Lyf #10

Putting Ryu in the same box as Sagat defies your understanding of SF4 (and ability to read tier lists). Only Ryu's very easy (still weak!!) to hit ultra saves his butt from being an average character in SF4...

TGSK said on March 15, 2010 at 10:26 p.m.

Ryu wouldn't be top tier if it wasn't for Daigo. Not kidding.

OomackattackoO said on March 15, 2010 at 10:38 p.m.

@ #49

soo true...

Bookerjj said on March 15, 2010 at 10:49 p.m.

@ Sakura #41

The reason why they compare is to show how they did improve. That's how they justify SF4, to show u how the game evolved in balance, SSF4 is a fan service game. This version will be more balance than the current.

So your example comment "Hey! No one else is doing any better...why should I?" doesn't even fit your argument. That's why he and others compare to show that they ARE improving.

chickenwings said on March 15, 2010 at 10:51 p.m.

@56 LOL, ryu is diet sagat, please stop bsing urself. Hes faster, easier to combo with and has a better dp then sagat. And on top of that its brain dead easy to use him. The only match ups u might have to learn are sagat balrog and akuma, for everyone else basic common sense will do just fine. Spam low forward and space fireballs. Dont act like diago affects his placement, if that was true characters like seth sim and c viper would be higher. Ill repeat what i always say when people defend ryu, compare him head to head with the other shotos and explain to me why everything ryu has is the best and easiest to use.

kara said on March 15, 2010 at 11:20 p.m.

Nelaelu said on March 15, 2010 at 11:23 p.m.

@MrTanooki #54

First of all, that wasn't the point of my comment. Second of all, you're not objective if you think that online players are neccesairly worse than tournament players (Remember Mago playing 4 online matches and loosing 2 of them, lol!). Not everyone lives in California and/or has time to play tournaments...
Third, I didn't say those were great Sagat players, did I? Cause against great Sagat players you will loose with Dan no matter what (unless you're a super genius... but did you see any Dans winning major tournaments? Or even Guiles or Vegas?)
And btw I did well in the US National SF tournament, so I have some idea how the tournament play looks like. I would be glad to play more tournaments, but there aren't that many in Illinois... (Sorry, I can't just fly to California or Vegas whenever I wish). Also, I'm not good enough to play with the very best...

Finally, if you want to argue, write more than 1 sentence, please...

Guile said on March 15, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.

U can argue that 6-4 matchups are "interesting". There are two sides to that argument and its quite debatable.

But most of us can agree 7-3 matchups are jacked up. the fact that there are fewer in this game dont mean they are a GOOD thing and they should let em stay.

and why put up with it when they can correct it. Why leave teh status quo? Thing is they are having an update relase people, and they have to justify why their customers should spend another 40 dollars. Dont forget thats seth's job

Now they can either tell us how they address these perfectly correctable problems that we're concerned about or they can BS and tell us what we think is a problem is not a problem. Even after we've played for 100s of hours and noticed something really wrong - ya there wasnt something wrong it was all in our head

is that telling us: ya we're working on making this game better for u? or is that just telling us we're stupid?

kara said on March 15, 2010 at 11:39 p.m.

TheOneandOnlyone said on March 15, 2010 at 11:40 p.m.

Hey Nelaelu you live any where near Monmouth IL Id play you off line if you do.

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 12:05 a.m.

chickenwings #60

1. Look at tier lists. Sagat waaaay ahead of everybody. Ryu about the same as many other high tiers... Most of his match ups even.
2. Considering damage dealing Ryu is one of the weakest characters in the game!! Look at his ultra as an example(398 at full meter, while Sagats 585!) We had damage ranking here some time ago, so find it for more examples!! 3. Sagat only walks slow but his specials aren't slow.
4. Ryu is easiy to combo - I said that already!! Most of his combos are weak though, got that??
5. He's easy to use, but so is Sagat, where's the argument?? There are many easy characters to use...
6. Why do you even mention Daigo. Exceptional players don't make particular characters better tiers
7. Ken isn't much worse then Ryu... his main problem is his terrible ultra. If you want more about it I can write a nice and big paragraph for u... as long as you give me some good arguments first

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 12:16 a.m.

TheOneandOnlyone #65

I live in Chicago (southern suburbs). How far is Chicago from your place? I'd love to hang out with some other SF players! As long as you love playing/talking about SF and are over 18 (I hate arguing with kids)it would be awesome. I hope you're at least decent at the game too... (who are your mains in SF4?)

spanish_ninja said on March 16, 2010 at 12:35 a.m.

Balance???.....its all about skills. i love wipping the smile off of ryu, sagat, and ken users when i give them my BLOODY HIGH CLAW when they fire ball spam or whiff an uppercut. (Vega laughs at them) *hahahahaha*

FearTheBadgers said on March 16, 2010 at 12:49 a.m.

>there spelling
ಠ_ಠ

sweatypalm said on March 16, 2010 at 12:51 a.m.

Wow same old bull eventhubs thread.

Requiring a log in didn't stop that at all...

Sigh.

People bring up other games when talking about sagat because sagat is the weakest best character in street fighter history. If you look at the tiers most of his matchups are 6 That is only a 1 game advantage, He has a few 7's but they are against characters like guile and dan who are bad in general. Against akuma the matchup is even.

Compare this to akuma of SSF2T HD Remix. Or chun li of SF3 third strike.. You get my meaning.

Akuma has a matchup where he wins 9 out of 10 games..... Chun li has SIX matchups where she wins 8 out of 10 games......

Face it: You guys complain more then oldschool players because you are whiny bitches not because you played a worse game than them.

sweatypalm said on March 16, 2010 at 1:04 a.m.

In addition: Seth Vs zangief is more stacked in seth's favor THAN ANY SAGAT MATCHUP.

So why do i never hear people complaining about that?

SF4 IS the most balanced fighter in street fighter history. It's just that you won't see the balance if you keep playing against rufus ryu akuma sagat balrog, The balance is in the low and mid tier ranges where 20 of 25 characters reside. You want balance? Put a soft cap on those 5 characters UNLESS they go up against each other.

But you guys don't want that because that would mean that you can no longer bitch.

ScytheWP said on March 16, 2010 at 1:20 a.m.

Someone translate...It's Hakan stuff

CASEY25 said on March 16, 2010 at 1:23 a.m.

If i were Seth i'd be pretty tired of all the whiners, but i guess with so many complaining people it means a lot of people care about SF.

tldr at next post (lol)

What a lot of people need to realize is that the audience for SSF4 is more than just the top tournament players. There's advanced, intermediate, and beginner players, roughly, as well. A fighting game with 30 copies of the same character doesn't look very fun for people just getting into the game. Diversity is more exciting and entertaining, and different/unique playstyles can make the game a lot more fun than a game with stale gameplay. If you want a perfectly balanced game, go play HD remix where the only selectable character is akuma and no one else. Im sure you'd still find a way to complain.
You also have to take into account that SF4's returning characters were heavily based on their SF2 counterparts, since SF2 had the broadest appeal and someone who hasn't played a game since then will be familiar with the character's moves. This in a way might sacrifice some balance so as not to dissuade a large percentage of Capcom's market for their game.
Mad that some characters are easier than others? I'm all for ryu and ken being more accessible, because this allows people to pick up the game, have some fun, and learn a thing or two without having to make a huge commitment to master everything. Also, if the player has no character that appeals to them, they're gonna bring the game back to gamestop. They need the ryus, kens, and chun lis because players can easily attach to those characters.

CASEY25 said on March 16, 2010 at 1:23 a.m.

I play guile, bison, and abel. 3 very different characters with different playstyles. I like the variety, and i like how at my level (casual, g1, online only) i can succeed with those characters using different strategies, tactics, etc. There's always room for improvement and no matter what, if you lose, it's ultimately your fault. It's never impossible to beat Sagat with Dan.

I'm going to GUESS, if Capcom's and our speculation is correct, that Adon is going to be "lower tier". Capcom has said he's a "beginner" level character. He's easy for casual players to pick up, understand, and succeed at their level. I'm GUESSING he won't see much tournament play. If you want to be the most successful at tournament level without becoming the Unprecedented God of Street Fighter, other characters might be more suitable.

ok ok tldr:
1. SF4 is damn well balanced overall, all things considered
2. SF NEEDS accessible and appealing characters to draw people in. It's not selling out, its good sense.
3. SF has variety. It makes the game exciting and worth playing. Few cases like that one Honda vs Honda mirror match. You know which one i mean.
4. Having characters who do better/worse at different skill levels is OK. It's like any sport; if you want to win at kickball no matter what, don't pick the midget, pick the professional soccer player. If you want to be the best, don't pick dan. Unless you want to be the best dan in the world.

Contrary to what you're probably thinking, I'm all for character balancing, and a lot of complaints and arguments are quite valid. Just don't forget that you were a "scrub" once, and imagine; if the characters weren't like they were, would you even care about Street Fighter?

Hey, if you're so fed up, you could go play Virtua Fighter. I hear it's the best fighting game (that nobody plays).

acku said on March 16, 2010 at 1:27 a.m.

MadnessFamilyguile said on March 16, 2010 at 1:40 a.m.

#66 is an idiot who forgot we can't post anonymous anymore. Goodjob there genius.

chickenwings said on March 16, 2010 at 1:44 a.m.

dude, it does basicly 400 dmg, now add to that the move u used to combo into it and its average dmg, corner setups give u around 500 dmg. ANd dude sagat believe it or not is actually harder to use since u need to get the ranges on his swing kick, kara knee/uppers/fireballs and range on tks and then theres the fact that hes slower bigger character so he can be harder to handle, it isnt much harder but it takes more then just knowing the range of low forward which is so dam fast it really doesnt matter. As for ken, look at the frame data, everything ryu does is better, theres no freakin reason for that. Ken is a good character, but he looks bad when u compare him to ryu since ryu has freakin everything. Ryu is supposed to be an all around character but most of the time his move is either the best or very close to it. But capcom is toneing him down, so its not just my opinion, capcom feels the same way.

Sol_Badguy said on March 16, 2010 at 1:46 a.m.

@acku

Seth probably does read these comments, but he knows better than to listen to all these whiny kids who didn't play any fighting games before SF4. He'd be better off asking a drunken hobo on a park bench for feedback. I bet he sits in his chair and laughs at all the morons posting their worthless opinions, but because of his position at Capcom he will never really post what he thinks of them.

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 2:20 a.m.

CASEY25 #73

Great comments! Long, but definitely worth reading!!

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 2:26 a.m.

@sweatypalm #70

"The balance is in the low and mid tier ranges where 20 of 25 characters reside"

Well said! Even if you only take away Sagat and Dan you get very good balance. Look at all those high tiers - they all score almost the same (around 130). The bottom is little bit more spread out... but still not bad at all!!

RA_MO said on March 16, 2010 at 2:31 a.m.

I am just excited that there will be a new Street Fighter game coming out. I may not have been anywhere near the best on IV, but I will continue to practice and maybe one day get noticed... nerfs and all. It seems that no matter how much a majority will complain over changes, they, in time.. get over it and continue to use who they love. It may be just me but I have read many comments on this site about how bad Guile is getting and things to that variation... And yet, there are still Guile users lol. So no matter how much a character gets toned down, you love them too much to just let them go. And even if you do let them go.. Time goes on and another person will take your place as that character's user. I have seen a great many matches won by the top characters, and then the not so top characters..

I think if you want your victory bad enough, you will do what it takes to make it happen.. Sure you may have to work your butt off for it but I think once you get it, you earn that much more respect not to mention... You will feel that much better about your win. And for those who believe their character is too low on a tier listing,... Here is your chance to prove it wrong and get that character out there.. Who knows.. Maybe with enough hard work and patience, We will all be seeing some Guiles, Gens, Vega, Dans, etc as top tier or better yet.. God tier.

I just hope that regardless of all the changes being done.. the nerfing and new properties of moves... When it officially is released, we can just come together and enjoy the game... Win or lose.

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 2:38 a.m.

MadnessFamilyguile #76

Give me some arguments first and show that you can write more than one sentence... than we can talk like normal people. Calling someone an idiot without any arguments only makes you sound like one...

ScytheWP said on March 16, 2010 at 2:52 a.m.

@ 66

Sagat is getting more nerfs than Ryu...

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 3:09 a.m.

chickenwings #77

I see my comment made you more careful about your arguments (good job!):
1. lp shoryu - ultra. damage reduced, below 400 (with full ultra)
jump mp - ultra. still below 400
ex hadou - ultra. only corner, otherwise fadc 3ex lost, damage still about 400 (even with crouching mk)
shoryuken fadc ultra. 476 dmg
ex tatsu - strong, but only corner
only f HP-srk-fadc-ultra good damage, anywhere on the screen
(not all listed, but you should see the big picture)

Overall, many set ups, but most of them really weak!!

Super (Shinku Hadoken) very useful, but only 300dmg - as much as Sagats 2ex tiger shots (not followed by another regular one lol!)

Check Ryu's normals, specials and ex moves - same thing!!
True, he's got great frame data, safer specials etc. It make's him a very good character, but not better than rog, ruf or akuma and not much better than bunch of other charactes...

bananainsaneface said on March 16, 2010 at 3:15 a.m.

The guy he was talking about Raoh is the same jap player that screamed F*ck you, Daigo at evo. And then went on to lose to Justin Wong.

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 3:24 a.m.

@chickenwings #77

Sagat's got moves for any range, great zoning, deals huge damage with virtually everything, good set ups, high stamina, can crouch lk into powerful combos. His size or slower movement are nothing comparing to all that!

I'm not crying over his overpowered state, but just trying to show u how him and Ryu and in a completly different league. 21 Sagats among 50 best players in Japan, have you read about that? Only 4 Ryus, 3 Kens!!, 7 Akumas!!

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 3:29 a.m.

RA_MO #81

Oh what a sweet and peaceful comment!! Seriously, I would love to hang out - eat pizza, drink some coke and play STREET FIGHTER till down!! Cheers!

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 3:36 a.m.

ScytheWP #83

That sounds absolutely right. Nerfs for Ryu (more exactly set ups and srk) might be a good idea too... maybe at least we won't have to fight thousands of them online!!

ScytheWP said on March 16, 2010 at 3:46 a.m.

@ 1 and 13

Yea...let's see some videos.

Seth has been saying a lot of stuff, but he doesn't really back anything up...

RA_MO said on March 16, 2010 at 3:53 a.m.

Nelaelu #87

Thank you. Who knows.. Maybe one day I will get a chance to meet you as well as others from this site at a tournament or just anywhere random and play a few games here and there.

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 4:10 a.m.

RA_MO #90

If we lived in the same city that wouldn't be a problem... I'm from Chicago though and it's very unlikely that you live closer than 1000 miles away...lol! Good luck and have fun!!

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 4:12 a.m.

RA_MO #90

Also... it would be better if same people from here didn't meet each other... or we would have Street Fighter live!!

Pusha_T said on March 16, 2010 at 4:54 a.m.

@77 - exactly, if Seth killian really wanted to let a lot of people on here how he really feels he would lose his job. He probably wouldn't mind whacking a couple o pple on here with a baseball bat.

Pusha_T said on March 16, 2010 at 5:02 a.m.

lololol . You guys need to see this.

The epitome of scrubbery lol.

zUkUu said on March 16, 2010 at 5:18 a.m.

why not link the whole interview?
There are more interesting questions.

For Super Street Fighter IV, a lot of characters that people thought would get buffs didn't get them. What was the strategy for rebalancing the game?

Why does Guile still suck?

Have there been any netcode improvements to Super?

Moving past Super, do you know what your next project is at Capcom?

etc

draw2 said on March 16, 2010 at 5:37 a.m.

@ #94

That ish is hilarious!!!
I hate that stupid waiting game...
What cracks me up is how they both open up with tiger knee's...and own each other!!!

Pmagic said on March 16, 2010 at 6:07 a.m.

street fihghter is just like AMERICA. its not MEANT to be fair. you have to be SKILLED to be successful in either one, whether you start from the top(tier) or the bottom(tier).

"its all about skill baby"

b4ym4n said on March 16, 2010 at 6:44 a.m.

Finally! Killian actually admits that Guile still sucks. What a douche. He had been dancing around that question for a month and a half. I'm not surprised. All of this could have been dissolved if Guile had a QCF Ultra.

OMARAK said on March 16, 2010 at 6:49 a.m.

What a shame guile had always been one of my favs. not anymore.

Cammy said on March 16, 2010 at 7:13 a.m.

That just makes us want to see those QA guys (I'm sorry to ask, but what is "QA"?) against top players around the world.

Gotta be carefull with what you say. When you create a mith about this legendary fighters that are not allowed to enter tournaments, people will wanna see them in action, specially against those we are used to think are the elite players (Daigo, for example)

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 7:18 a.m.

b4ym4n #98

You think that Guile players would like that? A QCF ultras... I wouldn't be so sure!!

I have a better idea: do you know Guile's crouching forwards HK? Just make it crouching backwards and we have a nice set up for our Guile! That move even looks like a set up...

Nelaelu said on March 16, 2010 at 7:26 a.m.

OMARAK #99

Your liking of characters depends on tier lists? - really sad...
My favorite ultra in SF4 is Guile's, and I don't care that it sucks. I love it, because it looks amazing!!

Don't torture yourself with Guile all the time, but don't abandon him completly just because he isn't a high tier

Jarv said on March 16, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.

Why do you guys care about the QA guys' skill? I don't really care how they play, just that they make a great game. Super looks great!

b4ym4n said on March 16, 2010 at 7:50 a.m.

@ Nelaelu

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Guile, in other games, has had many super moves that were QCF. I do like the idea of the Guile High Kick actually having a use; but, either way, the developers refuse to let him link his Ultra.

On top of that, people keep saying, "All he needs is buffed normals." No. Imagine doing all that work with those buffed 1-frame link, normals, just for someone to dragon punch spam FADC -> Ultra you for half health. Ugh.

Sairus said on March 16, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.

@Cammy #100
QA is Quality Assurance.

griever2000 said on March 16, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.

you don't have to spam your normals either against those that spams DP. The majority of the time you can just pause for an instant and you will see your opponent completely miss their attack. After you can punish them with more powerful combos.

I think he needs better normal priority and more stun resistance
(900 stun for guile is not enough)

fresco4eva said on March 16, 2010 at 9:06 a.m.

(seth) does this guy eva answer a question.... its like u ask him something and he starts talking about something else... wtf... who cares about what u think if the top players play the q&a guys... answer the damn question...

Flux289 said on March 16, 2010 at 9:12 a.m.

I really hope their upcoming announcement is third strike hd remix that would be so epic!

Load more comments