Silver Surfer in Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • July 29, 2010 at 10:10 p.m. PDT
Drpryr and SSJ3X-II pointed out this image which may show part of Silver Surfer's artwork for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Click image for larger version

The photo was taken by Denjetsu, who apparently snapped it while reading an article that has an interview with Ryota Niitsuma, MvC3's producer. Here are a few other points he went on to add from the supposed write up.

• Niitsuma runs through the playable Fantastic Four cast of Doctor Doom, Super-Skrull, and now Silver Surfer, who will be shown off later this month. There are no screens of Silver Surfer yet, just a little portrait along with the other two fighters from that series.

• Silver Surfer is very quick and has a unique playstyle. He never stands on the ground, instead he's always hovering on his board, and he's recommended for advanced players. Doctor Doom was suggested as a good place to start for Fantastic Four fans who are new to the Vs. series.

• They've added more attacks from the Invisible Woman to Super-Skrull since the last public build.

• Also, Niitsuma mentioned that the Fantastic Four play a major role within the basic plotline of arcade mode, and that the final boss should be familiar to fans of that series.

Comments

SHOGUN said on July 29, 2010 at 10:15 p.m.

So Galactus as the big boss man?

SpiceyChicken said on July 29, 2010 at 10:15 p.m.

Very nice conformation. Didn't even think about Silver Surfer being in the game!

hugeratjar said on July 29, 2010 at 10:16 p.m.

oh snap! love silver sufer

takeyourtime said on July 29, 2010 at 10:16 p.m.

Yeah, I'm thinking Galactus.

omegax9000 said on July 29, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.

so they added naruto sweet!

cadnexus said on July 29, 2010 at 10:25 p.m.

Naruto is not in the game lol. I thought about Silver Surfer, but didn't expect this because he fights on a surf board. Well if it's true it would be interesting to see what he can do. He would definitely play original that's for sure.

Megadautilus said on July 29, 2010 at 10:27 p.m.

On Capcom unity a moderator told a person who posted the pic on the forums to wait until an announcement.

ModBR said on July 29, 2010 at 10:29 p.m.

Galactus as a last boss would be perfect!

albirieo02 said on July 29, 2010 at 10:30 p.m.

Oh hell yeah Silver Surfer! That means the Final Boss ahs to be Galactus. It's related to Fantastic Four, and Silver Surfer was a herald so.

ScytheWP said on July 29, 2010 at 10:31 p.m.

I've been looking forward to Silver Surfer since MVC2. Even though I'm still against the control scheme, a team with Doom, Skrull, and Surfer would definitely make me happy.

JoseRufus said on July 29, 2010 at 10:31 p.m.

IF Dormammu IS IN THE GAME THAT MEANS DR. STRANGE MAYBE BE IN IT

mrdrofficer said on July 29, 2010 at 10:32 p.m.

Off topic! You ready? Arthur. Oro.

cadnexus said on July 29, 2010 at 10:32 p.m.

I agree, especially if the Silver Surfers in. This game is going to sell like hot cakes!!! My question is who will capcom use to match up with the Silver Surfer if he's in??

Ipion said on July 29, 2010 at 10:33 p.m.

It's going to be fun fighting against Galactus' toes.

MascotRay said on July 29, 2010 at 10:35 p.m.

Yep, I'd say Galactus would fit the game's tag line pretty well. Should be sweet!

cadnexus said on July 29, 2010 at 10:45 p.m.

Who knows it could be the Beyonder as the main villain.

guiliano said on July 29, 2010 at 10:50 p.m.

cornwad

or maybe spiderman / cyclops

kara said on July 29, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.

Jarkyttaa said on July 29, 2010 at 11:15 p.m.

Dormammu, Joe, and Frank are all ~confirmed through silhouettes/etc.

Assuming this isn't some elaborate hoax, I really like the idea of Silver Surfer in the game. If he didn't have godly air combos, I'd be very disappointed.

The last bullet-point definitely hints toward Galactus, but that makes me pretty sad. I really don't think he'd translate to a vs. game all that well. Even though it wouldn't make near as much sense in the story-arch, considering he's more of a henchman-type character, I'd love to see Dragon Man in this game. I think that'd be an extremely fun character to play. Strong projectiles, flight, fast dashes.

Majin_Acolyte said on July 29, 2010 at 11:15 p.m.

"Bison Voice" YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!!! YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!!

dtbighead0812 said on July 29, 2010 at 11:16 p.m.

nooo frank west? we already have a "human" character with no super powers (chris) who looks pretty bad a$$ at that.. plz no frank.. capcom you've got waay better to choose from!

halo said on July 29, 2010 at 11:17 p.m.

Silver Surfer = Galactus = sweeeet

Jarkyttaa said on July 29, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.

@26: Capcom has said that they're including Frank in most games in the near future since Capcom Japan thinks that he resonates well with American audiences and helps that market. As an American, I disagree, but I don't make the business decisions.

SHOGUN said on July 29, 2010 at 11:23 p.m.

I wonder what other helpers they're pulling from MvC 1. Arthur is long overdue to return as a playable character. That would be cool if they'll have hidden playable characters too like Shadow Lady , Shin Akuma, Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, Hyper Venom, I also wonder why they dropped that Easter egg feature in MvC2

SolarPlex said on July 29, 2010 at 11:27 p.m.

hype game :D

SHOGUN said on July 29, 2010 at 11:31 p.m.

Hmm now that I think about it is Violent Ken technically a SNK character version of Capcom's Ken?

BlazinBlizzard said on July 29, 2010 at 11:39 p.m.

haha Silver Surfer always reminds me of Skeeter Valentine from the Nickelodeon show Doug =]

cuzzo said on July 29, 2010 at 11:44 p.m.

How is Doctor Doom arch-nemesis of the FANTASTIC 4 been in every capcom marvel made game but none of the 4 themselves ever made it in? I mean just askin

cuzzo said on July 29, 2010 at 11:50 p.m.

skrull is a tease..he was given their powers to to kills them

cuzzo said on July 29, 2010 at 11:50 p.m.

^typo

cadnexus said on July 29, 2010 at 11:55 p.m.

Maybe the fantastic four would play like Captain Commando and his team like on MVC 2 lol. Silver Surfer is cool,but I am still waiting for a Capcom villain and a girl character from the Marvel side. "Pitiful Scum, says Urien."

SHOGUN said on July 30, 2010 at 12:05 a.m.

Female Xmen: Storm, Psylocke, Spiral, Rogue, oldies but goodies, Pheonix or Dark Pheonix, X-23, Mystique, White Queen, Black Queen Selene, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, etc

Female Avengers: you could throw in Scarlett Witch, Black Cat modeled after Scarlett Johansen, Wasp, Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, Mockingbird

Hmm who else?

MrPavy said on July 30, 2010 at 12:18 a.m.

remember they always include 2 characters from universe (chun ryu Superskrull Doom) so if silver surfer is in then wouldnt that mean thanos why be in 2?

SHOGUN said on July 30, 2010 at 12:21 a.m.

And you know this how? Or are you just saying? Even Storm, Psylocke, Spiral? Coz wow, talk about sausage fest. Just like this site. But yeah most of the chicks are so far on the Capcom side huh?

Gender aside, I played the build at comic con and while fun, it plays really fast and was kind of hard to get used to at first. Still can't wait for what they come up with

MrPavy said on July 30, 2010 at 12:21 a.m.

shogun you listed characters that would be pretty crappy in the game Mystique? what can she do except transform X-23 would be a clone of wolverine jubilee would suck she was also crappy on the tv show also kitty pryde was also a boring character too

dtbighead0812 said on July 30, 2010 at 12:23 a.m.

@Jarkyttaa well.. thats just great lol

@33 im guessing super-skrull is their way of giving us the fantastic 4 wrapped into one character slot :-\

EMRAHPALA said on July 30, 2010 at 12:30 a.m.

ı WANT TO SEE KEN,SHIN AKUMA. PLEASE CAPCOM ..............

Taxattack123 said on July 30, 2010 at 12:31 a.m.

That's pretty cool to see Silver Surfer. On the Marvel side I'm really hoping Cyclops and The Juggernaut return.

I hope Frank West has a better resembling model than his Tatsunoko model and the same voice actor from Dead Rising.

Megadautilus said on July 30, 2010 at 12:39 a.m.

Hawkeye, Namor, and Doctor Strange please.

Jaf said on July 30, 2010 at 12:45 a.m.

I wonder who Silver Surfer's Capcom counterpart would be...

cadnexus said on July 30, 2010 at 12:54 a.m.

Scarlett Witch would be awesome. I doubt it but Betty Ross the Red She-Hulk would be better than green She-Hulk. Rogue, Storm and Psylocke would be cool to Bring back. X-23 would suck, Kitty Pride would suck and Kitty would also be a type of character that would suck to fight against--everything would go through her. Song Bird is awesome also. Capcom cool villains- Gill, Seth, Urien, Bison, Pyron, Dimitri and Albert Wesker. These 4 should be in if not all seven Gill, Pyron, Albert Wesker, and Bison.

PhinnyCupcakes said on July 30, 2010 at 1:19 a.m.

more like.. fantastic FLOOR.. am I right? get it? get it?

Also, I heard from a reliable source that Shin Blanka is gonna be in.

sethkillianfanboy said on July 30, 2010 at 1:39 a.m.

AM I the only one who thinks super skrulls theme music is totally freaking awesome/

portalsofmadnes said on July 30, 2010 at 1:42 a.m.

Silver surfer...yes please,Super Skrull IS the Fantastic Four all in one, gota give capcom props for that engenious idea.why doesnt marvel have any female characters on their side?I would really like to see:..Venom,Blackheart,Shumagorath,Captain Commando,and Jin return,or newly include:..Mega Man X,Nightcrawler,Demitri(or anyone else from Darkstalkers besides morrigan felicia)

deathheadver666 said on July 30, 2010 at 1:44 a.m.

Lol watch Tue last boss becomes the team of thanos dormuru and akuma being controlled by galactigus or how ever u spell there names

RyuDanteChris said on July 30, 2010 at 1:49 a.m.

AWESOME SILVER SURFER !!

As for Frank West , HELL YEAH !! HE COVERED WARS'S , ya know .... I hope his " OH MY GOSH , zombie coming from a shopping carts " is still here , it's awesome , but....ahhh .... I want his original VA from Dead Rising , that's all .

jamheald said on July 30, 2010 at 2:47 a.m.

@48 Pyron! Yes please. And Sasquatch.

Liberator said on July 30, 2010 at 3:05 a.m.

without Magneto, Rogue, Storm, Cyclops and Cable this game is going to suck...and WTH really?! we have Fantastic Four villains, but not heroes ? OMG this is so wrong...

Ex_Ein said on July 30, 2010 at 3:16 a.m.

I swear if Hiro-Kala or anyone from planet hulk or it's result, isn't in here I'm gonna be pissed.

Ex_Ein said on July 30, 2010 at 3:30 a.m.

HAIL GALACTUS, HERALD TO THE SON OF HULK!
Hiro-kala, Second Son of hulk

nat332 said on July 30, 2010 at 3:31 a.m.

I FREAKEN KNEW! I KNEW SOMEHOW THEY WERE GOING TO MINTION HIM

Oroku_Saki said on July 30, 2010 at 4:13 a.m.

I'd like to see some version of Annihilus in this game. He's an awesome Fantastic Four villain.

Arrancar said on July 30, 2010 at 5:13 a.m.

Mole Man he hate the ff4 that blind sob..

Akaso said on July 30, 2010 at 5:25 a.m.

So the Fantastic Four aren't in the game, but literally everything else even tangentally involved with them is.

Oh, Capcom.

MrPavy said on July 30, 2010 at 6:04 a.m.

lol @ the dumbass asking for magneto storm cable.why put cable in? so he can run away the entire match will hoping to hit you with a air hyper beam. Storm shes just going to run and build meter all day. MagNeto? F*ck That he will just spam assist

SHOGUN said on July 30, 2010 at 6:12 a.m.

Wiff moves cannot build meter so storm flying around or cyke or anybody else spamming fierce kick for example will not build your meter.

Triforce said on July 30, 2010 at 6:22 a.m.

Hey, he wasn't on that "source code leak" list! Sweet, the roster has a chance of redeeming itself!

And come to think of it, I now realize that the source code names probably never existed in the first place, hence why they said, "It was deleted." It's not like anyone could double check.

moisespteixeira said on July 30, 2010 at 6:22 a.m.

"Spiderman changing into black suit instead of wasting a slot on Venom might work! Then they can use Carnage!"

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

moisespteixeira said on July 30, 2010 at 7:23 a.m.

What if instead of Silver Surfer that pic leads to Iceman: http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&h...

Sektah84 said on July 30, 2010 at 8:09 a.m.

@57 you want to play mvc2 all over again? They said already they are going to mix it up with old and new characters. I'm sure mag will be in it though but why the hell would u want the same exact roster when you think about it?!
I'm glad surfer is in it! I was hoping they put characters from the cosmic side in it. Now gimmie q beta ray bill outfit for tthor

Sektah84 said on July 30, 2010 at 8:11 a.m.

And I'm sure the last boss is MOLE MAN!!!!
Jk I'm sure it's galactus or maybe it's Blackbolt and the inhumans(it never hurts to dream)

MCseblo said on July 30, 2010 at 8:15 a.m.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THE SILVER SURFER

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

MCseblo said on July 30, 2010 at 8:20 a.m.

F*** magneto storm and cable.

they dominated the scene for 10 YEARS

SCREW THAT give us as many new characters as possible!

MALDA said on July 30, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.

EnkiduV3 said on July 30, 2010 at 8:31 a.m.

Oh no, they are putting in the FF villains but not the FF themselves! Boo hoo!

Are you kidding me? This isn't a Fantastic Four game. I would pissed if they wasted 4 slots on those individually worthless characters. Except Thing, but we have Hulk already.

As for the Marvel females. It's already been confirmed by the voice actor that Storm is going to be in the game. I would be surprised if Psylocke didn't make it also.

guiliano said on July 30, 2010 at 8:31 a.m.
powderedtoastman said on July 30, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.

@ people keep asking for fantastic four character... Why put Mr fantastic when you can have dhalsim who would fight like him plus more variety of moves. Why have thing when hes basically a crappy hulk. human torch... no need for more people that can manipulate fire its kinda a basic theme and you can have Pyron from DS who would have more potential moves. Invis girl ..lol moves are already in the game with invulnerable frames what good would she do.

Personally i would like to see a revamped Thanos, seeing dude tend to have the IG and HOU, all capcom did was give him a capture bubble and weird tackle move and they robbed him of his projectile normals from MSH in which so many characters now have there own version.
Would be cool to see how Gill cryo/pyrokineses powers would work in a crossover game(poor attempt with silver samurai in mvc2)

And if they decide to add giants or something to the game Sentinel/blodia would be good candidates so they can be more like there depicted incarnation and we have no full machine like characters yet

Drpryr said on July 30, 2010 at 8:47 a.m.

This thrilled the hell out of me when I found it last night and told SSJ3X-II so we could share it with you guys. But as cool as this is, the question of Marvel's female representatives is still bugging me. Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman alone should both be shoe-ins with their recent resurgences in popularity and their high profile status with the Avengers.

DudeMeister said on July 30, 2010 at 8:52 a.m.

@ #71 (moisespteixeira)

ah crap, i haven't thought about that lol

toshi said on July 30, 2010 at 8:54 a.m.

on an unrelated note, heres an interview for sfxtekken

xShonuffx said on July 30, 2010 at 9:15 a.m.

#79 Gill would be great, we don't have any villians for the Capcom cast for some reason, where is Bison, Gill, Jeda, Wesker then? I don't want to see Capcom hereos all the time. Jeez.

SmokeRulz said on July 30, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.

I had a feeling they'd add Silver Surfer. They can't add the F4, so might as well get the other 3 big characters from that universe.

Also, Galactus is the final boss? Rockin.

NeoChaos said on July 30, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

Going to call this rumor a load of bunk. The guy in question hasn't revealed what magazine this interview is from, or show a full-page shot of the interview in question.

Drpryr said on July 30, 2010 at 9:30 a.m.
Keepy989 said on July 30, 2010 at 9:32 a.m.

@Clovr
Silver Surfer may not FEEL pain, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't get KO'd after getting hit a lot correct? He just wouldn't feel it

NeoChaos said on July 30, 2010 at 9:40 a.m.

@Drpryr: That still doesn't answer the question of what publication this supposed interview is from, or why he hasn't posted a whole page of this supposed magazine he has. It's awfully suspicious that his "photos" are the only source so far - you'd think if it were in a major magazine like Famitsu or Arcadia that someone else who has the same issue would've stepped up and confirmed that he's telling the truth.

Drpryr said on July 30, 2010 at 9:49 a.m.

@NeoChaos: It might not have been a published interview. It could have been some on-the-spot thing like the interview he did at Comic Con. I'm not saying it's impossible for this not to be legit, but it alos seems like a lot of effort put into this for it not to have any validity at all.

NeoChaos said on July 30, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.

@Drpryr: How can it not be a published interview if Denjetsu's claiming he was reading an article about it? It had to have been in some sort of printed publication, and it's rather suspicious that he's not naming the source publication.

corybell said on July 30, 2010 at 9:57 a.m.

He's gonna be the worst character in the game. He dies from 1 hit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnjem...

doublef said on July 30, 2010 at 10:31 a.m.

i heard from a very reliable source that the 1st (and only) female Marvel character in MVC3 will be the fan favorite JUBILEE!

cadnexus said on July 30, 2010 at 10:37 a.m.

#81 Rumor has it that they plan to put She-Hulk in, why don't they go for the Red She-Hulk. The Red one has more powers to use not just super strength. Has a sexier suit, and better colors etc.. I can only see regular She-Hulk more like Rogue's replacement except not able to fly.

cadnexus said on July 30, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.

# That's cool Seth and Silver Surfer look similar in terms of they're both silver. Who else from Capcom side would match up against Silver Surfer?
Seth and Gill are the two Capcom villains I would love to see in the game. We seen enough of Bison, but still wouldn't mind to see Bison also.

Drpryr said on July 30, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.

I'm honestly a little burned out on Bison. I think Gill would be a good replacement and a strong rival for the Silver Surfer.

omegax9000 said on July 30, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.

hob goblin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaunbake said on July 30, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.

Galactis is nice. Silver Surfer rules!! Good casting so far. No one I have problems with personally. Nate Grey would be crazy instead of cyclops or Cable; it's like a mix of both characters. I know not a lot of people know him but still. along the lines of who they would choose....I would like Zero and Bishop.

cadnexus said on July 30, 2010 at 1:11 p.m.

Just my opinion the only Street fighter related characters that I think capcom should consider if there are open slots is Bison,Twelve, Gill,and Seth.
Bishop would be awesome. He could do his energy absorbing move as a super and absorb and counter Ryu's super hadoken or any other beam thrower.

goldfish90210 said on July 30, 2010 at 3:35 p.m.

Dormamu has already been confirmed for MvC3 and it would be retarded not to have him as the boss considering that he's made of pure magic and is one of the most powerful enemies Doctor Strange has had to deal with...

Not to mention this video certainly depicts him as a boss type character:-

EnkiduV3 said on July 30, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.

Just because those leaked lists were said to be wrong, doesn't mean they are 100% wrong. Who would have guessed that Amaterasu would be in, but she is. She-Hulk still has a shot of getting in until Capcom says she isn't or the game comes out.

Ms. Marvel could work, seeing as how she is the source of all Rouge's powers (apart from the touching thing) so it would be JUST like brining Rogue back minus the kissing/boost move. Then again, Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk might be a bit redundant. Ms. Marvel being able to fly seems the only thing setting them apart.

Spider Woman is a bit of a stretch. Even though she has a projectile, I just don't see them putting both Spider-man and Spider Woman in the game (and I highly doubt this will be the first Vs. game without web head.)

SamJay123 said on July 30, 2010 at 4:24 p.m.

dat would be Awsome=)

CypherFDP said on July 30, 2010 at 5:54 p.m.

But... It's July 30th.

ajch22 said on July 30, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.

This has just being proven by CAW Evolution (a guy in gamerfaqs) to be fake:

Catalyst said on July 30, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.

@ajch22

I spent some time with these two images in Photoshop seeing if they were copies of each other, as far as I can tell, they're two different images.

If you look at the higher quality version of the supposed Silver Surfer image and compare it with this artwork, you'll notice some reasonable differences.

1. The eyes are tilted in the artwork.

2. The nose is different.

3. Some of the shading and highlights are different. There's other stuff as well.

Also, Silver Surfer doesn't have the most unique looking artwork around, a lot of the images of him look the same.

All of that said, someone who's handy with Photoshop and made a few tweaks and then was really smart about trying to fake this — so they took three images of a Photoshop they made up with their cell phone — could have done this to make it very believable,

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and if it's proven that it's fake, I'll update the story, letting everyone know I was duped, but for now it's not conclusive based on that artwork.

joker101 said on July 30, 2010 at 7:07 p.m.

I would love to see Scarlett Witch. She can do some crazy stuff.

Cortez said on July 30, 2010 at 7:43 p.m.

@Not necessarily, we had Blackheart and no Ghost Rider.

I do hope Strange makes it in, that way i can team him up with the Hulk and Surfer(If this true) and fight with the original Defenders..... Minus Namor.

Still, i'm iffy about this peace of news, we haven't even gotten the name of the magazine.

Gbraga said on July 30, 2010 at 7:46 p.m.

I would really like to see She-Hulk as a fast paced gameplay Hulk

Cortez said on July 30, 2010 at 8:30 p.m.

@Jakytta: The Dead Rising series is popular in the US, so it's understandable why they think that.

@doublef: I highly doubt Jubilee will be, especially since there are more popular Marvel females.

@:Dormammu is probably playable.

Cortez said on July 30, 2010 at 8:33 p.m.

@Cordward:

That "movie" has been in development hell for years. It probably won't come out any time soon.

ehashi said on July 30, 2010 at 8:45 p.m.

WHAT!@!!!! the top female that be in the game is elektra,elektra can own any marvel female espcally jublee she garbage.. lol

OhYouDontSayThat said on July 30, 2010 at 10:07 p.m.

naw dood thats seth

Dojima said on July 31, 2010 at 12:08 a.m.

wait wasnt one of the things going around that there would only be two characters from each series. Silver surfer makes three for F4. . . Whose ready to see ken backin up ryu?

Load more comments