Gouken Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition videos

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • December 21, 2010 at 3:08 a.m. PST
JLeadership mentioned a set of videos from UltraDavid showing off Gouken a bit in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition.

Gouken was one of the characters who received numerous changes, and while he's not a completely new character, many of his tactics and tricks have been altered because of the developer tweaks.

This isn't high level tournament level footage here, but these videos do a solid job of showcasing some of the new things Gouken is capable of now in Arcade Edition.

Kudos to Sanchez, who played Gouken in each of these clips, for taking the time to run through the character a bit for viewers at home.

Comments

jaysenedwinward said on December 21, 2010 at 3:13 a.m.

Good ish. I may pick up Gouken after I finish relearning Cammy and Bison

drebs said on December 21, 2010 at 4:04 a.m.

ooo ryu can link a Cr.Mp from a close roundhouse now. sexy :P

SabishiiRyuu said on December 21, 2010 at 4:07 a.m.

Oh I almost came when I heard Yang's rival music. It may not be as cool as their 3s theme but it's still awesome to have it.

IwantSausages said on December 21, 2010 at 4:15 a.m.

Finally! Gouken can combo into something practical after the 2 hit jumpin mp. Looks like lk tatsu and ex. Wonder if the others work. That's great. With new counter changes (using diferent strength punches) this could also (im hoping) mean that tatsu will become a viable and spammable reversal(!) becuase at present spamming it on reversal comes out as low counter(mainly). Good to see old santa boy getting some new stuff.

kingofthesharks said on December 21, 2010 at 4:35 a.m.

mr gouken got block strings! Also, kinda feel sorry for honda.

Thirtyfour said on December 21, 2010 at 4:43 a.m.

1:45 first video
:43 second video

Shoutouts to SF2 Ken combos

IwantSausages said on December 21, 2010 at 4:44 a.m.

Hmm, also is his new lp palm fast enough to be a reversal now? Hope so, would be another nice addition. Looks like theyv made the right changes to the old man so far. And nerfing the backthrow in ultra a bit is fair enough. Still no sign of new characters? Not even evil ryu and akuma? hmm.

Ex_Ein said on December 21, 2010 at 5:02 a.m.

I was scared when I saw that Ryu try to do Srk into U2 because if that landed for full animation I'd be saying No like Darth Vader

IwantSausages said on December 21, 2010 at 5:08 a.m.

Anyone else get the feeling that capcom are just trolling this 'arcade edition' currently and that any minute now, a crack team of capcom operatives are burst into the arcades weilding memory sticks and update with the new the new characters they teased? I mean - 2 new playable characters? C'mon?

Battlemage said on December 21, 2010 at 5:15 a.m.

It still don't mean jack! Cause his tier won't change.
He remains the worst Shoto out there!!

MrPavy said on December 21, 2010 at 5:28 a.m.

actually Gouken is Freaking Good but i dont play him but i can tell you he has lots of combos and ultra setups

CoolStory said on December 21, 2010 at 5:31 a.m.

i'm loving the changes to gouken

^_)

IwantSausages said on December 21, 2010 at 5:49 a.m.

@Battlemage. So... changes, that IMPROVE a character, improve priority, and give opportunity to do more combos....don't make them better? And therby Don't enhance their possibility of going up a tier? Good one. What the hell does it matter what tier your character is? Adon and Dudley are way down the tier list too, but they are both fantastic characters in the right hands. Tiers, shmiers.

Square_eyes said on December 21, 2010 at 6:03 a.m.

needs more sagat

J said on December 21, 2010 at 6:51 a.m.

Loving that lp Palm!

Troppop said on December 21, 2010 at 7:11 a.m.

Yay, a whining pessimist. Didn't know how to use him? Do you have any idea how boring Gouken is to use? And how hard it is to actually connect something that hurts? Apparently not... Yay!

That lp Palm comes out FAST! loving the changes to him, finally a valid fighter.

RetromanTiga said on December 21, 2010 at 7:23 a.m.

Let it begin...LET IT BEGIN!!! XD

AcidGlow said on December 21, 2010 at 7:30 a.m.

This means gouken lost his MP hadou, fadc LP Palm juggle combo.. all for this instant LP palm? You can't even use it as a safe poke anymore and it has horrible range.. =/

IwantSausages said on December 21, 2010 at 7:33 a.m.

That's more like it! some love for the G-man! He is far from a 'noob' character , hes probably one of the least 'noobish' in the entire roster. Im really hoping that the pl plam can be used as a reversal. I've mained Gouken since vanilla but have always found it frustrating that he doesnt have a sure fire (at least not in my experience) reversal. I mean on the same level as a srk move. Tatsu wouldve been great but because of the kick-low counter imput, if u were blocking and then went to input tatsu, I'd always get low counter. Maybe I'm just doing things wrong:)

BlackBlazeQ said on December 21, 2010 at 7:33 a.m.

@17 Gouken Boring?!?!?!? Hes my favorite character in the game. Adon is boring not gouken although I still like adon.

But yea saying gouken didnt need changes is complete ignorance. He needed so much work. He still does!! They need to give him his overhead dive kick BACK from Vanilla. His tastu's need to hit crouchers. Hit confirms would be nice but with Standing mp having more frame and hit advantage hi gives him some setups. I feel that they dont give gouken hit confirms for a reason. His damage output is Huge very huge without hardly anywork. Giving him hit confirms from Jap to palm would make him deal damage even easier then before. Goukens more of a defensive Punish character although you can get offence when u want. I personally feel his Standing far mk and crouching mp is good for footies at time.

Im liking the changes to gouken and im looking forward to the dlc.

therealcrown said on December 21, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.

yeah my main is looking nice!
only problem is if they don't bring the dlc out before mvc3
i won't even be playing street fighter
it going to be mvc3 all day

IwantSausages said on December 21, 2010 at 8:35 a.m.

well, I think these changes are good. Roll on dlc.

Goukin said on December 21, 2010 at 9:52 a.m.

sweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about time he got something cool i wonder if you can get the weak running palm after Cwp Cwp Swk Swp Swk Swp into W palm then maybe into super!!!!!!!! please try this out and thx for the videos

Creeper said on December 21, 2010 at 10:41 a.m.

@SabishiiRyuu
You can hear it a lot better in this video.

KageVincent said on December 21, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.

Ahh my good old main from vanilla getting some love. All the loser trolls can gtfo cuz the old man is beast. He may reign as shoto supreme as well since ryu and akuma got nerfed to hell but hey ya never know. I for one am happy as can be with these buffs. And all you guys saying that he sucks can keep saying it. I'd rather not have you noobs hop on the gouken bandwagon when this game officially drops in the US

TheDarkDevice said on December 21, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.

@10: Well considering he has every tool necessary to utterly obliterate every other shoto, I question your logic.

@13 & 23: He doesn't have link combo's... he doesn't have a decent wake up... I think somebody has never played Gouken and is probably maining a character who got nerfed. Save your tears for another thread.

Kijui said on December 21, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.

Hopefully, Dan becomes higher in the tier because of his new, nevermind, forget I commented here.

RandomJohn said on December 21, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.

lp palm doesn't go anywhere....ok. I wished Capcom would have decreased his active frames on his fireball so he can combo his fireball with lp. Imagine what you can do with that...I can.

Grimmjow316 said on December 21, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.

Gouken needed that stuff especially the counter I tried using him on ps3 pad and always got the counter instead of the tatsu now that sucked.

OMARAK said on December 21, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.

I've heavily mained Gouken since Vanilla and HE DESPERATELY needed some buffin, he gets run down way too easily!

Glad my boy is finally gettin the love he deserved, he's the one that started it all, he HAS to be top tier.

CAPCOM about DAMN time!

OMARAK said on December 21, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.

WHEN IS THIS DLC GONNA BE AVAILABLE???

cvs said on December 21, 2010 at 11:55 a.m.

Never im thinking,since the nintendo 3ds version of ssf4 is newer then the console versions but yet it's based on the original version of ssf4 not ssf4 ae.

cvs said on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.

@9 AE was really supposed to be just a balance update,they were being generous by adding in 2 new characters.It's not a complete update like ssf4 was to normal sf4.

Moosh said on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 p.m.

Gouken had too many holes in his game to be upper tier. We'll see how it is after the update. Having combos that don't require Fierce as a starter will be a big help.

TheDarkDevice said on December 21, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.

@38: So we can complain about your atrocious grammar instead!

The fact the of the matter is that Gouken was ill-equipped to perform in tournaments. Very few hit confirms into specials and zero links.

The only one I've seen complain here is you, let me guess? You main Cammy and now you're all sad that you got a height restriction on cannon drill?

WinstonChurchill said on December 21, 2010 at 8:40 p.m.

Old man is siiiiiick