Chris Baker talks a bit more about alts in Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • December 21, 2010 at 8:38 p.m. PST
Chris Baker talks a bit more about alts in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Marvel's Chris Baker posted a few follow up responses on his Twitter account, offering clarification to the alts. he recently showed and letting fans know there's more coming.

Great article today about the alts! I hope you can share more once all the cast is revealed.

Chris Baker: That's the plan! Stay tuned.

Will you show more alternative costumes like you did today?

Chris Baker: I certainly hope to. It's tough to say when exactly because I have to work it around my work schedule; hopefully early January.

Tell us something about the alternative outfits for Capcom characters.

Chris Baker: There actually are a few Capcom characters that have alternative looks based on game history. I'll leave that up to [Capcom to explain], though. :-)

In the demo build of MvC3, Thor has a pink color. This doesn't match what you're doing with the other alts.

Chris Baker: That's not in the final game. There seems to be a perception that Thor will have a pink alternate color scheme in MvC3. [That's] not the case.

Love to see how you're going to justify Dormammu's alts.

Chris Baker: You'll just have to wait for a future installment on Dormammu. :-) The toughest [to do] was actually Thor.

Comments

powderedtoastman said on December 21, 2010 at 8:41 p.m.

Thor seems to be a trouble in all departments, gameplay wise and costume ....poor guy

cvs said on December 21, 2010 at 8:43 p.m.

That is true,but maybe with the right team in the right hands,thor could be a beast,btw loving all the alt colors.

DestinyZX1 said on December 21, 2010 at 8:47 p.m.

Thor's costume is okay but I only wish he got better alternate colors.

Struggs said on December 21, 2010 at 8:48 p.m.

The Thor sucks perception has come from beta builds of the game. He could be much stronger now. Look at it this way, even his alt costumes weren't final at this point, how could you expect his gameplay to be when Capcom keeps showing the TGS build of the game?

Shareware said on December 21, 2010 at 8:51 p.m.

"Justify Dormammu's alts" lol

It's almost like they don't believe him regardless of PHOTO PROOF that there was a theme. And a really cool one at that.

Can't wait to see someone post "THE ALTS SUK IM NOT BYING TEH GAEM!!!!!!111!1!"

It's only inevitable.

analogos said on December 21, 2010 at 8:56 p.m.

no pink thor no buy

katalystx said on December 21, 2010 at 9:18 p.m.

It'd be cool to see Zero's "Megaman Zero" design as an alt.

crispylinks77 said on December 21, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.

I think I read before that Capcom won't be providing alts for this game. I may be wrong; if I am tell me. Either that or Marvel put more thought into the alt colors (like how Chris Baker just explained) while Capcom just did random color palettes.

Way to show you care about your fans, Capcom.

kara said on December 21, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.

Shareware said on December 21, 2010 at 9:31 p.m.

Well, he does say that there are a few alt colors for the capcom side based on game history, but what can you expect without full alt costumes? There's only so much you can do repainting Ryu. Personally, I hope Ryu gets an all orange gi/blonde hair alt (Sakazaki style lol) AND his Navy gi/yellow headband alt.

BUT I do think that there will be full on alternate costumes after release. He said they didn't do this because it would have taken longer to release, so post release alts may be possible.

cvs said on December 21, 2010 at 9:38 p.m.

Sentinel's? This isn't mvc2.

goron_ninja said on December 21, 2010 at 10:05 p.m.

no pink thor no buy

SmokeRulz said on December 21, 2010 at 10:44 p.m.

I SHALL NEVER TIRE of my lovely pink threads :)!!!

SHOGUN said on December 21, 2010 at 10:47 p.m.

If Wolverine is getting the X-Force treatment, I guess it's safe to say Deadpool will be donning the grey and black too?

SHOGUN said on December 21, 2010 at 10:48 p.m.
Nyoronoru said on December 21, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.

I read about Thor from some other users and as long as you can set up his initial strike, you can land some crazy damage. He's like on X-Factor constantly.

SHOGUN said on December 21, 2010 at 11:16 p.m.

I'll definitely give him a shot. Thor, Haggar, She-Hulk and Hulk as the enforcers, am I missing anybody else? Sentinel I guess, but he's got a completely different style of play.

BATZARRO said on December 21, 2010 at 11:45 p.m.

U.S.Agent alt for Captain America, please! I want to pretend my Captain America is named after alcoholic beverages!

Ex_Ein said on December 21, 2010 at 11:55 p.m.

Shareware
there's no Alts for Dormammu that look that different.

@Thor's costume
Thor...... is going to be hard
not much variation

NEWkidCJ said on December 21, 2010 at 11:57 p.m.

I thought this was very interesting video about a SSF4 personal Cabinet.

Ex_Ein said on December 21, 2010 at 11:59 p.m.

Also I mean there aren't good alts for Dor in comics, cartoons and video games

Cortez said on December 22, 2010 at 12:58 a.m.

@Ex_Ein

Then you don't know much about Dormammu then.

He actually has a few alts that they can use.

His Classic color scheme, Rokannu from NextWave, His mainly red costume he used in Marvel Zombies and Dr Voodoo, etc.

Ex_Ein said on December 22, 2010 at 1:12 a.m.

Color schemes but actual defining alts, there is very little detail in those you mentioned that during fast paced movements would be picked up beside the colors. And Rokannu would be f***ing lazy

Shareware said on December 22, 2010 at 4:01 a.m.

You know that these are just recolors anyway, right? That's what they're looking for, color schemes that differentiate from the main one.

As for Rorkannu being lazy, what do you want from Marvel? If an alt based on an alt from the comics themselves isn't "justified", what would be? Not to mention it looks VERY different than his main color.

I thought that was the argument, that he has no real different alts. They can't do much with just repainting, and it's not like they're making full on alts, so what's the problem?

ihatebadthings said on December 22, 2010 at 6:46 a.m.

@mantian/#26

wtf? i hate this

badmandan said on December 22, 2010 at 8:08 a.m.

@crispylinks77 #9

Capcom does appear to be using slightly more random outfits, but that could caused in part by the fact that when their characters change clothes, they usually change radically. Like, Chris Redfield. Also, Jill.

There's no way to make them look like that without giving them like... a completely new model and putting new clothes on them and stuff, whereas people like Spiderman can drastically change in outfit without changing at all in the shapes involved in the outfit. I don't know if they chose the colors with care (Chris' blue could be a throwback to STARS?), but they would have definitely had a harder time with most of their characters.

Other ones, like Dante and Trish, have a clear (albeit a bit confusing) inspiration. They've just traded colors.

There are also a few that make great amounts of sense, like Viewtiful Joe's Captain Blue. Amaterasu's alternate color that covers half of her body with gray is an unlockable alternate skin in Okami, I believe.

On the other hand, there are some Marvel ones that I don't really... get. Iron Patriot costume would've been an easy way to appease Green Goblin fans until his inevitable DLC (and Spiderman has some different quotes for his symbiote outfit, so they probably could've made him say Osbournier things.) It's also a much more distinct and recognizable costume than say... the stealth Iron Man they've got. People really into comics and Iron Man will recognize it, but most players will just be all, "Cool, generic blue Iron Man." Iron Patriot would at least get, "Lol, Captain America Iron Man, badass." War Machine would've been another good one, but the shape and coloration of the one that's meant to be the original Iron Man seems to look closer to War Machine than original Iron Man anyways. Would've been cool to official have him as the intent, though, because everyone's going to call it a War Machine alt anyways. I'm kind of baffled by She-Hulk being based on Jennifer Walters but having two Betty Ross alternate costumes, but it kind of works.

I definitely hope the Capcom ones we haven't seen yet are a tad more creative than most of the ones we've been seeing, but a lot of their dudes change radically when they change (or, like Ryu, rarely ever change [here's to hoping for Ken and Dan alternate colors]).

kingcris said on December 22, 2010 at 11:12 a.m.

@badmandan #28

thank god for you for putting this out there, since hella people just keep on hating on capcom =_=. i hope everyone reads what you've put.

cvs said on December 22, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.

Pretty much about 90 to 95 percent of people are always hating on capcom about something,that's normal now a days.

TheMasterPlayer said on December 22, 2010 at 8:10 p.m.

no pink Thor I buy