Street Fighter 3DS will be 'perfect port' of console version

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • August 20, 2010 at 8:31 a.m. PDT
Street Fighter 3DS will be 'perfect port' of console version Kotaku.com caught up with Yoshinori Ono at GamesCom in Germany for the low down on the 3DS port of Super Street Fighter 4.

Here's a bulleted run down of what to expect from the new title so far.

• Everything from Super Street Fighter 4 will be ported over to the 3DS, nothing will be removed.

• There may be two control options available, one similar to how Street Fighter 2 was on the Super NES, and another that uses the touch pad interface.

• There will be a slider so you can adjust the level of 3D in the game. At the max setting you can distinguish the background and characters very clearly.

• Ono said the team is also hoping to design the game so that when the 3D slider is off, it will look just like the 2D game.

Comments

Matt said on August 20, 2010 at 9:54 a.m.

Pretty impressive IMO.

darkneji said on August 20, 2010 at 10:11 a.m.

the 3ds has totally won me over. And I haven't even seen a real one yet.

not 3 months ago I was like, "new ds in 3d? Lame." But now I've got to hand it to them, I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, it will be interesting to see what ssf4 looks like in 3d. Glad to know that they can port the whole game perfectly.

MAXIMUM_PANTS said on August 20, 2010 at 10:15 a.m.

I've played a 3DS and it's really awesome.

Really really looking forward to this.

I'm NOT however looking forward to people complaining that they should do an ARCADE perfect port to have the new characters, because people will.

neon6 said on August 20, 2010 at 10:15 a.m.

I find it laughable how no real footage has ever been released and you guys are already willing to shill out $200. I need more than a few good-as-photoshop pics if you actually want me to buy your system. Oh well, it's your money, not mine.

DudeMeister said on August 20, 2010 at 10:22 a.m.

i'm not really a fan of 3d movies myself. mainly because with most 3d movies, there's no point into making it in 3d. but this sounds pretty awesome actually. i guess that's because with 2d fighting games, the fights will look very dynamic in 3d, which fits perfectly with the nature of fighting games.

thejurihan said on August 20, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.

@ #4
I find it laughable that you still think you will be able to record the 3DS or take pictures of the effect lmao....you can't view the 3D Effect without the 3D Screen, so in order to properly showcase and / or view this game or ANY 3DS game with 3D effects, you'll need to setup a REAL LIFE viewing...Either way, I'm pretty excited to see what the 3DS can dish out and it's perked my interest to think that a game like Super Street Fighter IV will be able to fit on a handheld system WITHOUT being completely sprite-based like with the iPhone

Sturmgeist13 said on August 20, 2010 at 11:25 a.m.

Yea... Neon6, if you'd have gone to E3 & seen if for yourself on the showfloor you wouldn't be saying anything like that.

I saw it in real life, I didn't even play anything on it, I just saw the outstanding 3D effect on a couple of games like New Super Mario Bros., Metroid, LoZ & Star Fox & it left me thinking I gotta reserve mine pronto.

shaolindk said on August 20, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.

Can't wait for this game to be release!

THawk said on August 20, 2010 at 11:36 a.m.

This might be the first handheld system I'll buy since the game boy color lol. It's been awhile.

gluemchen said on August 20, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.

They make a good sfIV pc version and port the newer SSFIV to 3ds instead of PC!? WTF is this! Some kind of bad joke?

neon6 said on August 20, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.

Not to mention playing fighting games on a handheld is just frustrating in general. Remember Street Fighter Alpha 3 on GBA and PSP? Remember how you longed to do a simple Hadouken or 360, but you had to input the motions slow enough for them to be read, but fast enough so they'd actually come out? Remember how you'd long to use an arcade stick or at least a regular joystick until you realized you were better off just playing the console version? If you want to relive that pain so badly, be my guest.

SpinRyu said on August 20, 2010 at 1:17 p.m.

Okay neon6, I for one have a copy of SF Alpha 3 for the PS1 I also have had the opportunity to borrow a PSP with Alpha 3 Max on it. Without a doubt, the new PSP version is able to read ALL inputs no matter the speed, while I tried my PS1 version the other day and I was having some Input Difficulties.
On another note, I don't want to sound like a hater, but Capcom can say whatever they want. There is no way to perfectly replicate a console game like SSF4 on a handheld part of the same generation. Will we be able to fit games like SSF4, Final Fantasy XIII, and Halo on a handheld in the future? Probably, but as of right now, a handheld version will inevitably be scaled down.

Taxattack123 said on August 20, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.

I got to get a 3DS.

rudiano said on August 20, 2010 at 5:09 p.m.

@ #10 gluemchen
SF4 on PC was downloaded illegally nearly 2 million times in 2009. I dont blame Capcom for not releasing SSF4 on PC

juanrock said on August 21, 2010 at 12:51 a.m.

i dont care about 3d but dude, ssf4 on the go? im in

neon6 said on August 21, 2010 at 3:35 a.m.

Are you seriously comparing the PS1 version released 12 years ago to the PSP version released 4 years ago? You do know that some fighting games Capcom released on the PS1 sucked due to memory limitations? The entire Vs series is proof of this. Not to mention you don't even mention the Dreamcast or PS2 versions which were hell of a lot better. To be able to make those inputs, you must have thumbs the size of screws (or maybe the PSP analog stick is suited more for small children, I don't know I don't work for Sony).
1. Either you didn't bother to play all the versions, look up some comparison videos, and you just assumed this without all the facts (which would be weak) or.
2. You're a shill and I just hate shills.

Loghorn said on August 22, 2010 at 8:15 p.m.

@10: Blame the ones who pirated that game on PC.

@12: Totally agree with you about fighters being awful on PS1. Dreamcast, Saturn, PS2, Gamecube, & XBox were the way to go for those. The only good fighters on PS1 happen to be Tekken 1-3 & Soul Blade.