Seth Killian interviewed on IPlayWinner

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • August 4, 2010 at 2:53 p.m. PDT
Seth Killian interviewed on IPlayWinner IPlayWinner got Seth Killian to discuss some things about the Capcom side of the fighting game community in a recent interview.

The write up doesn't focus much on the games, but instead looks at the scene surrounding them and ends up being a solid read overall. Here's a copy and paste.

iPW: What was the reception for Marvel vs Capcom 3 like during the event?

S-Kill: I didn’t have as much time as I wanted to hang around the machines, but I was encouraged by what I heard. I spent a lot of time at EVO talking with some of the game’s biggest critics, and could really see where they are coming from, but I think they were able to see some of it from my end as well—this isn’t going to be MVC2. I called it “MVC3: A New Age of Shenanigans”. You aren’t going to be able to use every setup and shenanigan from MVC2 in MVC3, but — trust me — there’s a whole boatload of new hijinks developing in this game. Really brutal stuff. I felt like the tide of worry is starting to turn a bit into a tide of at least curiosity and interest, and I was happy because I think this build gave people a better idea about the direction we’re heading. Apart from people like Yipes that are already hyped up about the game, I think a lot of the critics are willing to give it an honest chance as we get closer to a final build (EVO build was not even 50% done). The game deserves it, and from the Capcom side, that’s all we can ask.

It was also great to have Niitsuma-san getting an earful directly from the players. He hears half of that stuff from me every day already, but hearing it from top players directly meant a lot.

Comments

eugabong said on August 4, 2010 at 3:07 p.m.

I can't wait for this game! I wonder what kind of new combos and "shenanigans" were going to see.

guiliano said on August 4, 2010 at 3:14 p.m.

seth but now I want a demo on ps store, and reveals more characters now

BlazinBlizzard said on August 4, 2010 at 3:28 p.m.

Capcom---Re-interested me in fighters with SF4 and I thank them for it.

Marvel---Honestly, what more glorifying things can be said about this brand. Between them and D.C., it is quite possibly the coolest and most colorful cast of super heroes around. They're all awesome (even the not-so-awesome ones =p)

Seriously though, not to write biography here, but I'm glad Capcom is supporting us fans with things such as:Further DLC for SSF4, SF X Tkn, and MVC3. The fighting game genre is revamped, relaoded and just absolutely ready to comeback to life (as if it didn't already with SF & BB)

Look forward to a very fun, interesting and exciting year to come my friends. =D

(P.S.~ Can't WAIT to hear about/see the silver surfer lmao I been lookin every like minuteto see if there's an update on him here lol)

BalrogAtog said on August 4, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.

Can we seriously have a "Marvel vs Capcom 3"? Because I'm really not looking forward to playing this "Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2"

ScytheWP said on August 4, 2010 at 4:21 p.m.

@ 4

I'm with you on that

Creation_Scapes said on August 4, 2010 at 4:33 p.m.

I also agree that I don't want this mvc3, I would rather have a true sequel to mvc2.

xShonuffx said on August 4, 2010 at 4:58 p.m.

"I despise Seth as a character..."

Damn S-Kill REALLY hates Seth in SF4 huh? And to think they named him in honor of his contributions. Oh well.

SHOGUN said on August 4, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.

to #4 and #5.

Have you guys even played any of the builds yet? I played the one at Comic Con It felt like a fusion of both MvC2 and TvC. Meaning it felt like MvC2 but with TvC controls and slightly faster. And I like it. I'm pretty pumped to see how the final version turns out upon release.

Dan34 said on August 4, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.

@4-6 what is it missing? If its the one button they took out then I don't mind.(this sounds mean but I am really just asking and not trying to troll)

DarkBurialX said on August 4, 2010 at 5:42 p.m.

I can't wait to see what other characters Capcom decided to make the cut in MvC3.

FroggyMan77 said on August 4, 2010 at 6:05 p.m.

@4-6

Why all the hate for Tatsunoko vs Capcom? Somebody please explain it to me. I've been looking at this site for quite some time and I have yet to read a single rational argument for why it's a horrible game. Just give me one reason.

Good to know, but that knowledge won't stop all the idiots from whining anyway.

Dethscythe said on August 4, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.

Sorry FroggyMan77, as a fan of TvC, i cannot answer your question on why theres so much hate. aside from the sometimes laggy online connection, i really enjoy the game.

BlackHart said on August 4, 2010 at 6:16 p.m.

Seth Killian eats doo-doo biscuits.............

That is all.

jesuslovessatan said on August 4, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.

@4-6 you guys are morons. you dont want another TvC but you want a another copy and paste remake of the huge amount of 2D classics. not to say that the 2D classics are lame cuz im gonna rep those titles till i die, but TvC is a newer style of fighting game that has set a sorta tablet for new titles that follow. MvC3 is obviously gonna have similarities with TvC cuz TvC was capcoms latest vs title. i mean im pretty sure nobody was hatin on MSHvSF, MvC1 or CvS2 even though they were exactly like their past titles. all in all just shut up cuz that hatin mentality is getting lame quick.

Creation_Scapes said on August 4, 2010 at 6:23 p.m.

because if they want to make tvc2 that's fine with me. but if you gonna call this game mvc3, than it should be the evolution to mvc2.

SHOGUN said on August 4, 2010 at 6:52 p.m.

This IS what it's evolved into. TvC was a template of only some of the mechanics, they pulled from. It is still heavily influenced by MvC2 from what I can tell by actually playing it. Not just watching the YouTube clips being pushed out and then getting all judgey, but this is the world we live in today.

SHOGUN said on August 4, 2010 at 6:55 p.m.

And yes I know I could have said judgemental, but you catch my drift.

BlazinBlizzard said on August 4, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.

@#13- agree i do not but your comment is golden XD

KingItachi said on August 5, 2010 at 6:33 a.m.

The game looks fun but as long as it has the tvc control scheme I won't be playing.

Android said on August 5, 2010 at 6:52 a.m.

I will not be purchasing MvC3.
I like my games with punch and kick buttons. Call me old fashioned. The new style just dumbs the control scheme down and makes it so u dont have to know each characters launcher. That type of "complexity" is what i like about fighting games. I understand Capcom is reaching to a wider audience and their Money, but the casual audience will buy the game regardless of controls because its called "Marvel" and play it for 2 weeks and then trade it in. And then the fighting community is left with "MvC:My First Fighter"

I just hope they dont dumb down any other franchises. I cringe now everytime someone says "they should do another VS. Game!"

Same goes with MortalKombat: attack 1 attack 2 attack 3 attack 4 buttons. Its a glorious day for button mashers.

SHOGUN said on August 5, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.

Did you guys cry when they got "rid" of the medium attack buttons from MvC 1 to MvC 2?

I know I'm contradicting myself here, the game looks great and plays great so far, but my only gripe with the game is the overall design of the graphics. They're OK, but I preferred if MT Frameworks made the game look like their other previous game Resident Evil 5, with that level of detail. But I get it. If that were to happen we'd get a shorter roster and the game would take even more time to come out.

I know it's a very over the top game about comic book characters fighting video game character's, but it might be too "comic book-ey" and do we really need that many "I's" in the word "Fight?" so it reads as: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!! in a serpentine patterned text. I hope they clean it up a bunch in the final build. Add more shaders, take out the blue outline that surrounds the character as they do their Super and ditch the black screen too while they're at it.

Only 8 or 9 more months guys! Like we're all expecting a baby.

FroggyMan77 said on August 5, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.

@Android

BlazBlue has four buttons: Attack A, B, C, and the Drive button. Go play it, and then tell me it's a dumbed-down fighter with the lack of separate punches and kicks.

You also conveniently forgot to mention that some characters don't even use punches or kicks, like Dante, who uses a sword and guns.

It's funny how, when TvC was announced all you people were complaining that it wasn't MvC3, and now that MvC3 is here, you're complaining that it's not MvC2.

Sektah84 said on August 5, 2010 at 10:12 a.m.

Oh boy more yapping about mvc2 stfu! Regardless of what ya think it's done already it's not gonna play like mvc2 the same way sfiv don't play like 3rd strike! It's cool though cause for every person that dislikes it there's about 1000 more that want it. Some of ya haven't even played the game to judge it! Looking at the videos the only thing this has in common with tvc is the 4 buttons( tvc didn't have a button to launch characters in the air) the way you start of combos too. The assist,the air combos,the supers,the pace,the graphics this is it's own game! Stop the stupid complaining and crying! I personally own tvc and this blows it out the water!(and tvc wasn't a bad game. It was more balanced than mvc2 even though I hated the giants).
Capcom give us a demo!

Sektah84 said on August 5, 2010 at 10:16 a.m.

The next thing you know if they make svc3 y'all want tvc2! Make up ya minds and be grateful this even happened considering the fact that marvel has it's characters licensed the activision and sega when it comes to games. I'm sure capcom went thru a lot to make this happen for the fans. Stop the complaining keep it moving! It pisses me off!!!!

Android said on August 5, 2010 at 11:43 a.m.

@Froggy

Im talking about the MvC franchise and not blazblue, havent bought BB yet but plan to.. But if the next Guilty Gear came out with only 1 slash button instead of 2 then i prob wouldnt wanna play it. Also Hayato and Cable play fine with punches and kicks. Thanks.
Capcom said it themselves in interviews, made it simpler for wider appeal.

Also, i did complain when MvC2 went to 4 buttons. Im a complainer :)

Doctrine_Dark said on August 5, 2010 at 3:12 p.m.

I see people are still salty. Lol. Move on. The game is what it is. Play Marvel 2 for another 10 yrs. No one cares.

KingItachi said on August 5, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.

Some people here get too butt hurt when people say they don't like the control scheme. Android good point those character did do well.

joker101 said on August 5, 2010 at 6:36 p.m.

Morons: no one here or anywhere cares if you buy the game or not. The world will not collapse because your panties got twisted over your precious, sacred Marvel v. Capcom franchise.

Everyone else: hi-five! This game will be fun times!

KingItachi said on August 5, 2010 at 7:08 p.m.

lol @ 28 keep on entertaining me it's too funny.

FroggyMan77 said on August 5, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.

@Android

The point about bringing up BlazBlue was that having a game with 3 Attack Buttons and a "Special" Button doesn't necessarily equate to a "dumbed down game." And sure, there were characters who played without actually kicking or punching, but your complaint was that in MvC3, there wasn't any specific button for those actions. If many characters simply do different attacks with the punch and kick buttons, why is it so necessary to distinguish between the two?

@KingItachi

It's more justified to be enraged about people being stupid idiots, than to be enraged about this change in control scheme.