Marvel vs. Capcom 3's roster isn't finalized, character selection process

Posted by Catalyst
April 21, 2010 at 1:42 p.m. PDT
Marvel vs. Capcom 3's roster isn't finalized, character selection process Marvel's Chris Baker spoke with Kotaku about Marvel vs. Capcom 3. In the article he mentions that the final roster, while nearing completion, isn't finalized yet. He also discusses what they look for when they're considering adding someone to the game.

During a live question and answer session, he said that no one is off limits when it comes to licensing issues. Later he talked about Spider-man quite extensively, and seemed to slip up and when asked about Deadpool being in the game.

Anyway, here's a clip from the Kotaku write up.

"There are absolutely characters that will be much more relevant in the next few years and you want to get them in there," Baker said. "There are characters that have become a lot more popular since the last Marvel Vs. Capcom game, that weren't in there that we wanted to get in there. There are characters that have been invented in the last ten years that we may want to get in there."

While I wasn't able to squeeze any more names of characters out of Baker, he hinted that more names would be coming in the next few months.

It's worth pointing out that the confirmed characters on the Marvel side have all had major motion pictures associated with them recently, Wolverine, The Hulk and Iron Man.

Marvel is also working on Captain America, Thor and Avengers movies, along with Iron Man 2 which will be in theaters on May 7, 2010.

Thanks to x639x for providing some of this information.

Comments

SpiceyChicken said on April 21, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.

Phoenix Wright and Jaques Blanc. Put them in and I couldn't care who else is in the roster.

Arsenal said on April 21, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.

Bit of trivia,

The 4 current installments of the Marvel VS Capcom series:

X-men vs Street Fighter
Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Only FOUR characters were playable throughout the whole series:

Wolverine
Ryu
Chun Li
Zangief

We know Wolverine and Ryu were in the trailer and Chun Li was in the artwork. So the question is, will Zangief return given their interest in bringing more new characters?

SephirothinHD said on April 21, 2010 at 2:14 p.m.

As long as Deadpool and Dante are in the game i am willing to buy the game.

Nyoro said on April 21, 2010 at 2:18 p.m.

As long as Zangief can turn into Mecha-Zangief and start firing lasers from his eyes.

EX_Machina said on April 21, 2010 at 2:32 p.m.

As long as Dante is in, I'll buy this game... I'm sure the roster will turn out great... just hope they don't forget the classic characters like Spiderman... but unfortunately with Marvel and Capcom both being so huge, with only 15 characters from each side, lots of people are going to be disappointed with the roster..

Her0 said on April 21, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.

I actually agree with EX_Machina since it becomes increasingly more difficult to balance huge rosters. I hope they keep it to a limit like 15-20 from each side, but at the same time keep it diverse so everyone can have their own style of play and custom teams. When the game has too many characters, it becomes redundant because a select few characters become overused and then others never get any PT. <glares at MvC2, stupid Storm, always flying around going HOO OHH>

ricefarmer said on April 21, 2010 at 2:54 p.m.

Galactic said on April 21, 2010 at 2:58 p.m.

If Thor and Jedah Dohma are in it, I'll be happy. Hopefully the characters they choose are awesome.

Herlock said on April 21, 2010 at 3 p.m.

Where can I find that logo? or is it fake?

Psycho said on April 21, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.

SAMANOSUKE!!

MrPavy said on April 21, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.

you think storm is the only one whos broken? You got magneto psylocke storm and cable, sentinel i can deal with,but i hate the Gun spamming cables

Vanstuke said on April 21, 2010 at 3:10 p.m.

Initially I was hearing things like "The roster for this game will blow your mind!" But 30 characters ins't very mind blowing these days. I suppose it is for a new IP, Which after a decade, MvC3:FTW might as well be considered a new IP.
Anyways, I'm hoping for giant characters just like those in TvC. Two that I'm pulling for are Sentinel (completely redesigned) and Doctor Wily, in any one of his many boss contraptions.
Also, Gene (from God Hand), and pn.03. But, seeing as these are both old unheard of franchises I doubt my dreams will come true. :(

Dan_CiTi said on April 21, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.

I want Dante, Dudley, Elena, Yun, Juri, Gouken, Seth, Gill, Amaterasu, Gene, and Phoenix Wright.

Put_Elena_in_SF said on April 21, 2010 at 3:29 p.m.

Elena, Phoenix Wright, and Blade (the wesley snipes / marvel character) would be awesome.

I also need to abuse captain commando's assist, so please put him in the game. Thanks.

ondarius said on April 21, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.

Kick ass is also a marvel comic with a current film.

Vanstuke said on April 21, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.

oh-ho-ho you might be on to something ondarius (#18) A new Dan tier yes?

FroggyMan77 said on April 21, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.

It seems like everyone wants Phoenix Wright...me too!
While he probably won't be the defining factor, he'll definitely produce some leverage for me buying the game. Otherwise I'll just stick with TvC and BlazBlue. I've always preferred 3-4 button fighters than the 6 button ones.

Random_GUY said on April 21, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.

I'm excited!

I wonder if they can really pull off the American style comic visuals in the game...

ass for characters,

I dunno man, there a so many...

CAPCOM
DANTE
VIEWTIFULL JOE
ONE RAMDOM DUDE FROM POWER STONE.
RYU...(from breath of fire 3!!!!)
Q!

MARVEL
MEMPHISTO
PHOENIX??
Ghost Rider :P
Blade
THOR

Random_GUY said on April 21, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.

I just dunno ...

these are just random names that never appeared in capcom vs games, that I really want to see.

I know some of them are already in it..but stil...

xShonuffx said on April 21, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.

Hopfully the Capcom roster is more varied as well, one of the things I hated about MvC2 was that the majority of Capcom characters were Street Fighter, hopfully we see more current Street Fighters as well as current popular characters from recent Capcom Games.

Lost Planet
Bionic Commando
Dead Rising
Dark Void
Okami
Pheonix Wright
Monster Hunter

Some of these have been visited already but i'd like them to explore them some more.

Oh and give us Mega Man X please. Jeez.

vbshinra said on April 21, 2010 at 4 p.m.

they really need to put Gene from Godhand in the game.
he's perfect for this game

Street_Fighter_OG said on April 21, 2010 at 4:02 p.m.

************************* ************************
*EVERYONE READ PLEASE!!!*#*EVERYONE READ PLEASE!!*
************************* ************************
I think that we all should hit up the Capcom Unity fourms and voice our opinions on how many characters and what characters that we would like to see. It's good that we are voicing our opinions and thoughts here in Event hubs. That shows we have a strong community of members, but what counts and the only way they will notice our opinions is that we take what he have suggested and thought and post actively on the fourms.
What will also be cool to represent Event hubs community on their forums would be to put a EH_Username ..Example for me EH_Street_Fighter_OG Not saying you have to but it's an idea that I just thought of. I'm going to admit that I have a Capcom Unity Login, but Im going to make another login to represent Event Hubs. The point I'm trying to make is that no one can come plain if they don't at least try by posting on their forum which they have stated many times in their videos/interviews that they have been doing alot of adjusting based on a lot of fan feed back. Now let me make this clear. Representing does not mean go there flamming and spamming, telling them what to do and how to do it. Just peacefully let them know how much it will me to have certain characters in. i have read throughout this community, teamxbox, ign, srk, and many others and I have seen a lot of the same request. if the same request are noticeable throughout their forums. i'm sure they will make it happen.

Random_GUY said on April 21, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.

@ 23

Yeah I totally forgot about bionoc commando!
SPENCER!

Yeah I agree a varied roster will make things more intersting.

An about RYU-> breath of Fire character.......

YEAH CAPCOM I'm seriouse about HIM!

Random_GUY said on April 21, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.

@ #25

I'm in
Just give me the link In shoryuken were they talk about MvC3
and characters and I'll be there.

vbshinra said on April 21, 2010 at 4:21 p.m.

@ #25

ok man, ill do it right now

ExclusiveOrGate said on April 21, 2010 at 4:32 p.m.

I hope Galactus is in it, if he finds himself losing he'll just eat the planet.

Jeremy092387 said on April 21, 2010 at 4:57 p.m.

So far I'm pretty damn happy with who they revealed and hinted at, but I'm still holding out hope for Phoenix Wright. I would actually like to see Godot more, but Phoenix is the icon for the series. And as much as I would love to see Zangief, I would finally love to see the man who has yet to see his role in a versus game, Mike Haggar. With Dante hinted at and Chris already confirmed, I'm pretty psyched already. Oh and put Zero and Viewtiful Joe, I enjoyed them a ton in TvC.

KiD_LupE said on April 21, 2010 at 5:07 p.m.

you people dont listen very well... first of all THIS POST SAYS the roster isnt final, and in the freakin interview, and numerous other places they clearly say there are around 30 characters in the game SO FAR at this stage of development, the game is a year away, obviously they dont have all the characters in the game yet

yes4me said on April 21, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.

Ohh... so we are going to have Punisher, Ghost Rider, batman, Robin, Superman, Cat woman, Wonder woman, Supergirl, Galactus, Xmen, Thor, Fantastic 4, Spiderman??

yes4me said on April 21, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.

I really really wish for Linn (from AvP arcade - Capcom game) but of course adding her is just one side of the story. She has to be a functional and worth character to use

whinerhubs_com said on April 21, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

I heard Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse will be in.

recovery said on April 21, 2010 at 5:57 p.m.

the 3 looks a lot like Alpha's 3!
I like it!

I just want Jubilee and Gambit

Arttronik said on April 21, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.
juanrock said on April 21, 2010 at 6:52 p.m.

capitan comando was really cool en marvel vs capcom 1 and 2, i hope he makes the cut, and there is a ton of sf characters that i want in

Blackapino1984 said on April 21, 2010 at 7:24 p.m.

If Kick Ass is a part of Marvel I want the possibility of Big Daddy and Hit Girl.

Mecha_G said on April 21, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.

She-Hulk and Squirrel Girl.

DarkBurialX said on April 21, 2010 at 8:55 p.m.

Dante and Vergil, please Capcom.

MetabolicFrolic said on April 21, 2010 at 10:12 p.m.

I love how it's surname's initials are FTW, rofl!

bigchina said on April 22, 2010 at 12:17 a.m.

just wanted to say that the article i read of shoryuken stated that there will be more than 30 characters. i believe the quote has been inaccurately re posted. they have 30 characters decided for sure right now, and are planning on adding still many many more, to the point where the players' minds will be blown about how many characters they have fit onto the disc.

so 30 are decided as of now, many many more to come...

not JUST 30...

jsabb1 said on April 22, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.

THORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! He wasn't in the first one, he wasn't in the second one. I damn well hope that he will be in the 3rd one. Many years I had to fight with my number 2 greatest gambit, now its time for my number 1 the mighty THOR.

Hadoken said on April 22, 2010 at 12:40 p.m.

From Capcom:

Outside SF ->
Dante
Zero

SF ->
Juri
Gouken
Sagat

Marvel ->
Spider Man, or Venom
War Machine
Jean Gray

omegax9000 said on April 22, 2010 at 2:03 p.m.

SAMANOSUKE!!