New Marvel vs. Capcom 3 details, interviews and artwork

Posted by Catalyst
April 20, 2010 at 11:11 a.m. PDT
New Marvel vs. Capcom 3 details, interviews and artwork Official details were released today for Marvel vs. Capcom 3. To see some wicked high resolution artwork and some more speculation on who the roster members will be, hit the link below.

Here's a run down of what to expect from the new title.

• The game is set for a spring 2011 release date on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

• Right now the development team is looking at having about 30 characters — or so — in the roster.

• Seth Killian said that fans can expect "a healthy dose of new blood" when it comes to fighter selection.

• It's a 3-on-3 tag team fighting game, players build their own squads and uses Assists as well. Very similar to MvC2.

• The title uses an advanced version of Capcom's MT Framework, which powered Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2.

• MvC3 has aerial combos, hyper combos and other original gameplay systems.

• The game is officially titled Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.

• The goal is to get 100 pieces of music in the game, that includes old favorites, new tracks and remixes. The 'Take You For A Ride' song won't be returning, at least, it's not planned right now.

• There are no plans for an arcade, PC or Wii version.

• The team behind this wants this game to have a strong storyline.

• Development started on MvC3 in the summer of 2008.

• The art you see below are actually in-game character models.

Kotaku.com also did some revisions of this artwork with who they think the various fighters will be based on their outlines.

Click images for larger versions

GameTrailers and IGN also caught up with the game's producer, Ryota Niitsuma, for interviews.

Also some G4TV guys chat about the game for awhile, offering their impressions, which are interesting.

Thanks to SFilp, Ex ein, and Slimztheguy for contributing to this story.

Comments

tmfan said on April 20, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.

I really want to see Capcom explore more character options rather than just rehashing old characters from MvC2.

juxtapose said on April 20, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.

^ I want the exact opposite. Tron Bonne and ServBot please!

corybell said on April 20, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.

zUkUu said on April 20, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.

1000 times better than ssf4 artworks. dunno dont like ssf4's artwork style

ShadowKnight28 said on April 20, 2010 at 10:46 a.m.

I'm with tmfan, I don't want to see obscure Marvel characters this time. Characters like Marrow were known back when the game first came out, but that was 10 years ago. I'm all for obscure Capcom characters though. And my boy Strider Hiryu better be in this

zUkUu said on April 20, 2010 at 10:46 a.m.

btw the ??? looks like an outline of Seth

juxtapose said on April 20, 2010 at 10:46 a.m.

I'm going to bet the one that just says ??? is Mr. Sinister.

MIRACLEfool said on April 20, 2010 at 10:47 a.m.

Love Hulk always in MvC however I don't like how they did his hair...

corybell said on April 20, 2010 at 10:47 a.m.

GOD DAMNIT!!!
They better have X from Megaman. OR vile. No zero, they put him in Tatsunoko, and while I love his character, he immediatly became a newb character as opposed to his SVC Chaos version.
All we need now is Jin and Im set.
Also, they better not reuse Morrigan's model from tatsunoko...
because they reused her sprite way too many times...

RobotAIDS said on April 20, 2010 at 10:47 a.m.

WHERE IS HARMAN SMITH?

hugeratjar said on April 20, 2010 at 10:48 a.m.

morrigan<333333333333333333333333333

anddudewaslike said on April 20, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.

I wanna use Chris Redfield

x_Who_Is_Alpha said on April 20, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.

I think the best thing he said was "balance" If they get this game balanced it could be pretty damn good.

The problem is now that there are so many good fighters out that I feel like I have too much on my plate, Street Fighter 3 third strike, Super Street Fighter 4, Blazblue: Continnuum Shift, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Capcom vs Snk 2, Guilty Gear X2 Reload, and now Marvel vs Capcom 3. Im hoping Capcom can make another brilliant fighting game that will stand the test of time like all the others.

Deimlos said on April 20, 2010 at 10:54 a.m.

Hmm... the initial report said something about people being blown away by "the sheer number of characters." ... 30 seems pretty underwhelming. Here's hoping for a DLC character pack framework.

Lysol_Jones said on April 20, 2010 at 10:54 a.m.

What? Screw you guys, I want some underground Marvel characters. Stick in the basics (Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, Cyclops, Doom) and then go all out. I'm pretty hyped to see someone like Super-Skrull make it in.

As for Capcom, I want to see some Clover characters besides Joe (not that he's awful or anything). Also a Megaman ZX character with armor change would be pretty sweet.

Slimztheguy said on April 20, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.

I'll be keeping my eye out for new info.

chickenwings said on April 20, 2010 at 10:56 a.m.

i second that, it looks better then the sf4 style.

Characters can go either way in this one. ANd since its a 3 on 3 im guessing they wont have the gaint characters so unless they shrink the lost planet robot(sentiel aswell) we wont see them in the game. Honestly i think the capcom side will have more surprises then the marvel side, i mean theres certain characters that just have to be in. I mean how can u not have cyclopse or magneto. Its gonna be interesting to see what they show at e3.

abdelmajidtolba said on April 20, 2010 at 10:56 a.m.

who the hell is servbot ? is is the little midget like roll.how can you even play with them?
i want evil ryu or shin akuma or metal zangief.
noob question but why MCV series doesnt have charge players?
is it because of the speed of the game or its dynamic?
cheers

Jaybonaut said on April 20, 2010 at 10:58 a.m.

It will be interesting just seeing these characters in 3D.

Waynehead said on April 20, 2010 at 10:58 a.m.

I'm hoping the button system is Similar to either MvC 1 or 2 and NOT TvC. TvC is fun but I just hate the button system on the Wii. Maybe it's different with a stick but I'm not getting a Stick for that one game.

anddudewaslike said on April 20, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.

yeah SFIV's artwork is pretty bad...Awesome game, I love it, but the artwork is just bleh. MVC2 and 3rd strike are the best drawn [and animated] capcom fighting games, in my opinion...

recovery said on April 20, 2010 at 11 a.m.

Leon > Chris

30's pretty darn good. But sadly it has to be divided between Capcom and Marvel characters (not many SF'rs)

This thing better have Sakura or I won't buy it

And also Gambit or/and Jubilee

recovery said on April 20, 2010 at 11:01 a.m.

SFIV artwork's better than this. Japanese anime style will always be better. Understandable that Americans will love the American comic book style though

Waynehead said on April 20, 2010 at 11:02 a.m.

My most wanted
New for Capcom - Dante
New for Marvel - Blade
Return Capcom - Jill Valentine
Return Marvel - Magneto

PhinnyCupcakes said on April 20, 2010 at 11:03 a.m.

f*ck it. use Frank West again.

Hamza said on April 20, 2010 at 11:04 a.m.

Give us C.viper please.

CartooN said on April 20, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PUT PHOENIX WRIGHT IN THIS ONE!

Kuei said on April 20, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.

I Thor and Deadpool will make the roster

Jaybonaut said on April 20, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.

Guys, seriously, who gives a crap about the artwork in the pics so far? That's not how they will look, they are in 3D like TvC and SF4.

jonnycbad said on April 20, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.

Looking at the silouhettes it looks like Dante, Deadpool, Felicia, Captain America are gonna be in.

EX_Machina said on April 20, 2010 at 11:12 a.m.

So much for people being 'blown away' by the number of characters. Both Tekken 6 and SSF4 have a lot more than 30 characters...

ActualProof said on April 20, 2010 at 11:12 a.m.

Rather hav Leon Kennedy... he was the saving grace of the series in RE4.... then again he might be (doubt it)

Angelglory said on April 20, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.

@28: Hell yeah, Phoenix Wright ftw!

Shadowofdeath said on April 20, 2010 at 11:17 a.m.

omg i cant wait to play with dante and deadpool

Sektah84 said on April 20, 2010 at 11:22 a.m.

Idk if it's a Photoshop but if u look closely to the pic where the hulks face is the first thing u see to the right of him is a shilouette that looks a lot like superskrull.

Burn said on April 20, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.

I love it when i see someone say that they want a lot of characters and that they also want this game to be balanced, haha.. classic.

What about a Mega Man boss like Cut Man or Metal Man? Mega Man is popular right now so I guess anything is possible.

Ex_Ein said on April 20, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.

right to left:
Frank west far right
Dante next to him
???(can't figure out who this woman is)
Magento
Chun
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Captain America next to
GREEN GOBLIN?
Felicia(lol thought it was rose until I noticed the feet) on the bottom left

juxtapose said on April 20, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.

Uh... ServBot is only the greatest charater in the history of fighting games and/or Megaman.

If there's a Megaman boss, IT BETTER BE QUICK MAN!!!

Burn said on April 20, 2010 at 11:49 a.m.

Anybody else hope for Carnage? He could potentially be a Venom/spidey clone, but lets hope not!

joker101 said on April 20, 2010 at 11:49 a.m.

MANGO SENTINEL

Taxattack123 said on April 20, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.

Doctor Octopus?

ChunLi said on April 20, 2010 at 11:55 a.m.

Deadpool would make this game SO damn fun!
Phoenix Wright, Dante, Demetri, Sakura and Rose had BETTER be in it.....

The Marvel characters should have a "Marvel Zombies" alternate outfit while the Capcom characters should have a super suit as if they were in a comic book, based off their personality. (Dictator can keep his SSF4 one ^_^)

Draga said on April 20, 2010 at 11:55 a.m.

Gene from God Hand. That is all.

anddudewaslike said on April 20, 2010 at 11:56 a.m.

strong storyline? okay....

Ex_Ein said on April 20, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

the g4tv guy(the kid with the fro) said Rai-u

Crono said on April 20, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

I see Dante!

Taxattack123 said on April 20, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

I would like to see doctor octopus and phoenix wright.

pawn080 said on April 20, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

Looks like you can see a Skrull in the upper left, and Deadpool in the bottom left above Chun... might be super skrull with the right arm of thing...

ProtestantPope said on April 20, 2010 at noon

I don't care what characters they put in. I want Capcom to Take Me For a Ride!

pawn080 said on April 20, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.

@ProtestantPop: LOL! Let's hope that music style survives the cut...

Sober_Soldier said on April 20, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.

Wow, Summer 08?

sabrewulf said on April 20, 2010 at 12:04 p.m.

NAKED ARTHUR!!!!!

CMAyhem said on April 20, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.

would be nice to see thor at this game!

Triforce said on April 20, 2010 at 12:11 p.m.

Phoenix Wright please. :-)

Someone like F. Von Karma would fit even better (whip ftw).

But 30 chars? How are you gonna make a sequel with 20 less characters than your last game? Well...we'll see as time goes on.

But seriously, PLEASE put Phoenix Wright in. I can only imagine some kind of insane, Kurain Channeling hyper-combo.

Ex_Ein said on April 20, 2010 at 12:15 p.m.

@chunli don't say that they'll make us pay 20 dollars for a zombie alt for everyone

Marvel characters I want:
Patriot
The Void
Thor
Ezekiel Stane
Skaar
Daken(him vs Sean=Great win)
RESCUE or WarMachine
Eric O'Grady(ANTMAN)
Cloak and Dagger
Blackbolt
Ironfist(Danny)
Lockheed
Mimic
Squirrel Girl (Against her against Felicia=Win)
X-23(her vs sakura=Awesome)
Hiro-Kala(look him up and the stuff he did to Galatcus)

kurokiba said on April 20, 2010 at 12:19 p.m.

THATS SETH NEXT 2 CHUN!!!

Jarkyttaa said on April 20, 2010 at 12:21 p.m.

It looks to me that then ??? might be Thanos from Marvel.

CervejaDoBrazil said on April 20, 2010 at 12:22 p.m.

hmm... if you look at the shadow in one of the pics it looks like deadpool. that would be fun.

Ex_Ein said on April 20, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.

@Kurokiba
the heads to bulky it looks like Mag's helmet

sage said on April 20, 2010 at 12:25 p.m.

i hope that the ??? is not seth, that was such a lazy and pointless design by capcom...and it would be awesome if Darkstalkers made a combat considering the direction capcom seems to be taking their fighting games visually the darkstalkers would just be mind blowing...till this day the best looking characters in capcom fighting games are those from that series

Ex_Ein said on April 20, 2010 at 12:25 p.m.

Thanos is as tall and big as the hulk

SteadiestShark said on April 20, 2010 at 12:35 p.m.

It has been in development since summer 2008? Jesus :S

Ex_Ein said on April 20, 2010 at 12:46 p.m.

but they started planning it BEFORE 2008

DestinyZX1 said on April 20, 2010 at 12:46 p.m.

Mega Man X should be in this game and if they are gonna make an MvC3, they should surpass the character select for MvC2... have it like over 70 characters or more.

dtbighead0812 said on April 20, 2010 at 12:47 p.m.

C. Viper FTW

THawk said on April 20, 2010 at 1:01 p.m.

Wow. I cant believe how skinny that dudes arms are in the G4tv video. It's realllllllly messed up.

R4HU1 said on April 20, 2010 at 1:03 p.m.

I think they should include every character in each of the Marvel and Capcom worlds. Then it would truly be "Fate of Two Worlds" Can I get a what-what?

It's just wishful thinking, I'd much rather have more than less options :)

h1tm0nl33 said on April 20, 2010 at 1:03 p.m.

X better be in

AceKillah said on April 20, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.

wow the ??? looks like seth damn i hope seth is in this game seth,dudley,sagat from SF sakura doesnt need to be in this neither does dan and Gene marvel all I want is to get rid of jill she sucks ass gambit should be in it and take out blackheart and sentinal

ScytheWP said on April 20, 2010 at 1:15 p.m.

30 characters!?

Less than MVC2. Poor move Capcom. I hope they forgot to put a zero at the end of that 30.

Bibuki said on April 20, 2010 at 1:21 p.m.

better have a balanced 30 fighters game, than a 4 usable fighters game due to poor balance...

MIRACLEfool said on April 20, 2010 at 1:22 p.m.

Oh Chris Redfield don't you know? Pistols are inneffective against Hulk's skin.

ScytheWP said on April 20, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.

@ 76

STF4 has 26 characters
1 Sagat
2 Almost Sagats

Less characters doesn't mean balance

Shazaam1205 said on April 20, 2010 at 1:25 p.m.

This is great and I'm super excited, but this is one game that NEEDS an arcade release. When they originally said there would be no SSF4 arcade, I was okay with that, but MvC needs to be in arcades. It just wouldn't feel right otherwise.

Dan_CiTi said on April 20, 2010 at 1:26 p.m.

I want to see Dudley and Gene! Also let's hope this game paves the way for Darkstalkers 4!

harusam3 said on April 20, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.

My guess is that the "???" is The Tyrant.

bmfuller433 said on April 20, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.

I hate the artwork, I hate the fact they released a teaser trailer, that shows us almost no gameplay, n on top of that they are using the graphics from sf4???? Really, why not sticking to 2D, like third strike, and tighten them up??? U kno I hope this game holds up to the hype cuz I don't see it, but its not like a have a lot of information to whine about though...

Plz add dr octopus, n twelve from 3S

Allbackdown said on April 20, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

Kotaku is saying Capcom told them the models used in the cinematics were in game models, as well as the photos they released of the individual characters!

cretin said on April 20, 2010 at 2 p.m.

what happened to the "sheer number of characters in the roster that will blow us away"??

i guess they shouldnt have said that when marvel 2 has 52 something characters and this only has 30...i guess its just speculation for now still though.

anewerabegins0 said on April 20, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.

i certifiably guarantee you that is not Seth. I know a lot of marvel and i could tell you that its either...

Dormammu - http://outcaststudios.com/forums/uplo...

or

Mephisto - http://marvel.com/universe/Mephisto

also the silhouettes from left to right are

Felicia, Super Skrull, Captain America, Dr. Doom, Deadpool, Chun Li, Dormammu or Mephisto, Trish from devil may cry, Dante, and Frank west

jay3248 said on April 20, 2010 at 2:14 p.m.

i hope when he said they will be have 30 characters or so, he meant they will add another 30 to the 56 we had in mvc2, thus totalling to 86 characters. only then it will be mind blowing. coz 30 characters is nothing for a versus game. lol

and i hope they reveal 1 character a week. i hate waiting for news coz i cant handle the suspense. i prefer getting news weekly so it satisfies my suspense.

blazblue hasnt got any new news in agessss, and its pissing me off. lol. they announced Mu agesa ago and still we havnt had any clear gameplay footage. that is jsut so evil to keep us hanging like that

Adam_Zapple said on April 20, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

-30 characters is a bit disappointing compared to the MvC2 roster, but maybe this means they'll put more focus into character dynamics, controls, and give the game a nice polished look like SF4.
-I'd like to see a more hardcore game, with less cute useless characters.
-It would be great if they could make team specific ultras/supers or whatever they're called. So, for instance, if your team is made up of X-Men members, maybe they could all do an epic move together.

Characters I'd like to see (new and returning):
--Capcom--
Arthur, Cut Man, Mega Man (8-bit style), Zangief, Hugo, Birdie (without the mohawk hole), Anakaris, Damnd, Samanosuke, Barry Burton, Tyrant.
--Marvel--
Juggernaut, Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin, Gambit, Mr. Sinister, Mr. Fantastic, Carnage, Venom, Apocalypse, Black Knight, Blob (basically Rufus), The Punisher, Daredevil, Gladiator and last but not least...
Howard the Duck!

Mofobuster said on April 20, 2010 at 2:19 p.m.

no TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE?
seriously im allready hating on mvsc3!

Raius1 said on April 20, 2010 at 2:28 p.m.

Not me man. I love the SF4 art. Perfect blend of clean lines and exaggeration. This is stuff is just too exaggerated, almost as bad as SFA3.

Jarkyttaa said on April 20, 2010 at 2:33 p.m.

So you guys complain that 30 is too small of a roster, but also complain that MvC2 was completely unbalanced? Every time you add one character, the game becomes harder and harder balance, and this is made even more complicated with tag-team fighters. I'd prefer a balanced roster of 30 rather than MvC2-level of balance with 50+.

Akuze said on April 20, 2010 at 2:34 p.m.

Dante nothing. That's Virgil if anyone from DMC. Look at that slicked back hair and flipped up collar. Good to see Deadpool and Chris Redfield, though.

RandomJohn said on April 20, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.

If they're going to add another RE character, they should add Wesker considering he's the only person with super human strength and lightning speed. It'll make more sense.

Dynames said on April 20, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

Dante and Deadpool and I'm happy.

Alouroua said on April 20, 2010 at 2:44 p.m.

I was hoping it'd be more like Marvel vs. Capcom 1 or Street Fighter vs. X-men. Clearer, straight-out fighting between characters and less of a giant cluster of assist spamming and projectiles. Oh well.

kara said on April 20, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.

Street_Fighter_OG said on April 20, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.

@ bmfuller433#83
If you have played or seen Tatsunoko Vs Capcom then you know how the game is going to look, but it'll be a more HD version. That Ultra Fireball that they showed at the end of the MVC3 trailer, is the same exact one he does in TVC. Down to every single frame and camera angle. So there is your answer.

HELL YEAH!!! CHRIS REDFIELD "OWNS" Peon Kennedy I mean Lean Kennedy.LoL

Most Wanted Return 4 Capcom:
----------------------------
Captain Commando
Jin Satome
Strider Hiryu
Charlie

I think that they should have keep everyone from MVC2 and just added 10 new Marvel and 10 new Capcom characters. More than likely the Capcom characters that are in TVC will appear in Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

Now if they had of kept all the characters from MVC2. Then hear are the 10 new Marvel and 10 new Capcom I would have chose.

My 10 New Marvel:
Iron Patriot

My 10 New Capcom:
-----------------
Dante(Devil May Cry)
Nemesis(Resident Evil 3)
Donovan(Darkstalkers)
Kenji(Red Earth/Capcom Fighting Jam)
Sagat(Street Fighter)
Sieg Wahrheit(Chaos Legion)
C.Viper(Street Fighter 4)
Ibuki(Street Fighter 3)
Batsu(Rival Schools)
Twelve(Street Fighter 3)

koshercommander said on April 20, 2010 at 3:06 p.m.

I hope they put Demitri from darkstalkers in. Use midnight bliss on wolverine he turns into Hugh Jackman. Ba-zing

Put_Elena_in_SF said on April 20, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.

Elena + Phoenix Wright = 1 billion copies sold.

Or at least a percentage of that.
Glad to see they have returned to the franchise.

DanceInTheDark said on April 20, 2010 at 3:39 p.m.

Chris looks so AWESOME!!!! I want Jill Valentine and Juri Haan to be in this

shannaro1992 said on April 20, 2010 at 3:42 p.m.

Ruby Heart was actually the main character for MvC2. But since she was never became popular, I wonder if she even makes it as one of the returning characters in MvC3...

In any case, it seems like the artwork is more "united" imo. In the past, the pixelated sprites of the marvel characters made the characters look like they're from the comics which is great. Similarly, the sprites used for the Capcom characters made them look like anime characters which is also great. The different styles worked really well together and it was pleasant to the eyes. But now, the artwork from both sides makes the game look like it has only one uniform style. This is a completely different look and honestly, this seems exciting!

n00b_saib0t said on April 20, 2010 at 3:57 p.m.

"Posted by Strider_Hayato92 on April 20, 2010 at 2:20 p.m. #92

Why Frank West, sheesh!! Strider-Hiryu can replace him.

I'm guessing they're involving zombies at some point in the storyline"

i'm guessing its a great excuse to reuse frank west from TvC. honestly, if capcom doesnt use EVERY capcom character from that game to save time on making characters thus allowing them to include more, they're retarded.

also, fcuk balance. thats what SSF4 is for. make everyone bat siht stupid, this is marvel!

yes4me said on April 20, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.

I think the character that will show up 99% sure are:
Ryu, ChunLi, Cammy, Redfield
Wolferine, Ironman, Hulk, Storm, Magneto

Capcom side, I hope for Linn (from AvP arcade), and maybe something weird like characters from D&D. Maybe more avengers will show up, maybe some alpha (I am talking comics, not SFA), maybe archangel too or beast will replace Blanka. With "only" 30 characters, I don't expect to see meaningless characters like Dan or Hakkan. I also expect the game to be released in the arcade. There are a lot of characters I wish for (Ruby, Juggy) but whatever... as long as it is released in the arcade, I think it can be fun.

BUTTLORD said on April 20, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.

I'd like to see:

Ghost Rider
Blade
The Punisher
Daredevil
The Thing
Human Torch

TheDarkAce said on April 20, 2010 at 4:15 p.m.

Return Marvel Characters

Jon Talbain
Kurow
Edward Falcon
Alex
Date Masamune

Nuff said

Carnage2099ebk said on April 20, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

2 Keep it real i didnt like the look of tvc so im bumed at the look im thinkin that when ryu shoot his super at the end of that trailer was a small look at the game play and i wanted about 80 characters but giving that it going 2 have a storyline i think this 30 number might be close to whats relly going on to happen hope im worng

Load more comments