All but official, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in the works

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • April 17, 2010 at 6:35 a.m. PDT
All but official, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in the works Confirming the rumors posted the other day, PlanetXbox360 reported that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was shown at Capcom's Captivate event in Hawaii.

There's an embargo on the details, so you won't be seeing screen shots, movies and other things until early next week, but here's the notes they were able to get together.

• Confirmed characters so far are Wolverine, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Magneto, Storm and a few others will return.

• The Marvel vs. Capcom 3 development team said they will be blowing fans out of the water with the sheer number of characters this game includes on the disc.

• This will be another 2D fighter — gameplay-wise — but will be something of a cross between the original Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 4.

• The rumored release date is late 2010 or early 2011 on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, no plans right now for other systems.

• The game will run in 1080p resolution.

• It will be a disc-based release.

• Apparently the game will have unlockables again.

• Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be playable at this year's E3 which is held on June 15 - 17th.

Comments

dommafia said on April 17, 2010 at 6:41 a.m.

It's mahhhhvel baby!

I'm pretty sure everyone knew it was this though... those guys that leaked the ssf4 info said it was this game and they havent been wrong yet.

Btw where do they post their leaks? I usually hear about them 3rd hand.

Saikobooru said on April 17, 2010 at 6:41 a.m.

Interesting.
I guess this is going to revitalize the Marvel scene.
To be honest however, I would have preferred seeing CvS3. :P

yugo said on April 17, 2010 at 6:51 a.m.

I prefer CvS3 too

MilnerWins said on April 17, 2010 at 6:53 a.m.

Cool, Ill buy it x

MilnerWins said on April 17, 2010 at 6:54 a.m.

and I would bet it any street fighter 4 character gets in it would be C Viper

FraggleRock said on April 17, 2010 at 6:54 a.m.

I can't wait to see what characters they add.

I'm betting on 10 characters that will be usable though haha

WeAreTheFuture said on April 17, 2010 at 6:55 a.m.

YAAAAAAHS! cant wait

ubervillain said on April 17, 2010 at 6:57 a.m.

It's Mahvel baby!

Ozlantern said on April 17, 2010 at 7 a.m.

bof

DestinyZX1 said on April 17, 2010 at 7:03 a.m.

Marvel vs Capcom 3... the dream match is coming to LIFE!!!

gambler69 said on April 17, 2010 at 7:04 a.m.

already ppl saying they would rather cvs3 now? wtf its just been leaked and... forget it cry me a river, marhhhvel baby. This makes up for TvC being only on wii. Capcom have kept this secret for a long time if a playable version is gonna be demoed in June.

RC said on April 17, 2010 at 7:08 a.m.

as long as War Machine still says

"HERE'S MY SUNDAY'S BEST!"

then I'll buy it

LovelessActIV said on April 17, 2010 at 7:08 a.m.

"a cross between marvel vs capcom 2 and sf4" interesting..

TheMasterPlayer said on April 17, 2010 at 7:11 a.m.

MvC3 yea boy!

VladDracul said on April 17, 2010 at 7:15 a.m.

CATCHMAN said on April 17, 2010 at 7:15 a.m.

Gene from God Hand HAS to be in this.

fresco4eva said on April 17, 2010 at 7:20 a.m.

i wanna see dante... hes gotta make it this time...

CMAyhem said on April 17, 2010 at 7:20 a.m.

"will be something of a cross between the original Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 4."
i'm imagining a Sagat, storm and sentinel team lololol

MCseblo said on April 17, 2010 at 7:22 a.m.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ive been dreaming of this for sooooo long for almost 10 years.

i was too young to master MvC2 when it first came out, but now that I am really good at fighting games, i cant WAIT to play as my favorite MARVEL SUPER HEROES AND CAPCOM FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adjacent said on April 17, 2010 at 7:23 a.m.

Sagat would translate horribly into a game with super jumps

Smorgasboard said on April 17, 2010 at 7:26 a.m.

Meh, should have went with DC vs Capcom.

StagnantNachos said on April 17, 2010 at 7:27 a.m.

All I know is that I want Protoman and maybe that piece of trash wesker

CervejaDoBrazil said on April 17, 2010 at 7:29 a.m.

This is music to my ears. No wonder they wanted to re-release MvC2. see if there was enough backing to make a sequel. and with the game being one of the top downloads on BOTH consoles how could they NOT come to this decision?

Amnesiac said on April 17, 2010 at 7:32 a.m.

THOR PLZ!

MCseblo said on April 17, 2010 at 7:32 a.m.

god bless capcom. Now i have something even more awesome to look forward to after Super Street Fighter 4. They sure know how to keep their fans happy = ) = ) = ) XD X-D

Pusha_T said on April 17, 2010 at 7:37 a.m.

YAWN........ I never cared much for the MvC games.

5 vs 5 and 3573256 hit combos......BOOOOORING.

Shanic said on April 17, 2010 at 7:43 a.m.

Add Morrigan, Jill, some other capcom games cast would be cool, the girl from dino crisis xD

xShonuffx said on April 17, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.

This better now be a joke. Im serious.

Minicree said on April 17, 2010 at 7:45 a.m.

if there is infinates im out.....

and umm a cast of 1234531 chars.....bleh

Creeper said on April 17, 2010 at 7:46 a.m.

I never could get into the Mahvel scene, the metagame was too developed for me to bother. I think a fresh start for the series is just what I need to hop on board. I'm what you'd call an "09er" in the Street Fighter community simply because of how little exposure I've had to it over the years (only one arcade near me, which closed several years ago), and I'm glad online gaming is helping to make playing easier for another series.

That doesn't mean dilute the chaotic and energetic gameplay to appeal to "casuals" though, Capcom.

SmexyMillz said on April 17, 2010 at 7:48 a.m.

Get hyped YAAAAYYYY

KageVincent said on April 17, 2010 at 7:53 a.m.

hmmm....wesker, chris, leon, nero, and megamn X. Followed by Gouken, Adon, Dee jay,The entire 3s roster...along with the other 50+(HOPEFULLY THEY GET SOME EFFIN BALANCE IN THIS!) and we have an awesome game in the makin people

ScytheWP said on April 17, 2010 at 7:53 a.m.

Screw balance, MVC3!

Adjacent said on April 17, 2010 at 7:58 a.m.

Any marvel character who has had or will have a movie in the past few years is pretty much guaranteed to be in it. So I expect the entire Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Thor, Ghost rider, Daredevil but no Elektra. No one gives a crap about her.

VladDracul said on April 17, 2010 at 7:58 a.m.

Sakura said on April 17, 2010 at 8:08 a.m.

IN YO FACE, SNK FANS!!!

J said on April 17, 2010 at 8:11 a.m.

I tried to make a list of characters I'd like to see added but I don't wanna put a wall of text here. xD

shannaro1992 said on April 17, 2010 at 8:13 a.m.

I'm gonna take you for a ride...again. I wonder if this is gonna have a more fitting soundtrack...

Raius1 said on April 17, 2010 at 8:15 a.m.

I love the way you people talk about balance like there was ever a fighting game that had it.

SirHonor said on April 17, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.

MvC3? Damn it man! TvC JUST came out 4 months ago!! So much for TvC trying to develop. I'm hoping Proto Man makes this game!!

Mofobuster said on April 17, 2010 at 8:28 a.m.

give me deadpool and gambit and im hyped!

prettyboycj100 said on April 17, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.

they should include all 56 characters from mvc2

SmokeRulz said on April 17, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.

TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM COMES THROUGH! Another Versus game is coming and it's MVC3, bitches!

ScytheWP said on April 17, 2010 at 8:35 a.m.

@ 44

This actually seems more likely that it came from the overwhelming demand, and success of MVC2's digital download.

enigmus said on April 17, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.

the glaring question i wanna know is how they procured the Marvel characters when most of them are licensed by other video game companies well into next 3 years if i'm told correctly. anyone have any thoughts?

ShadowKnight28 said on April 17, 2010 at 8:37 a.m.

STRIDER F*CKING HIRYU. That is all.

AceKillah said on April 17, 2010 at 8:39 a.m.

LETS GO DANTE GENE GAMBIT AND DR. MOTHER F**KIN DOOM

Realpolitik said on April 17, 2010 at 8:41 a.m.

Deadpool is the new Ken. MvC3 here we come.

ScytheWP said on April 17, 2010 at 8:46 a.m.

@ 46

Look at Tatsunoko vs Capcom. They lost 1 character due to licensing. Since Marvel has broken into so many branches, we may lose like...20 original characters from MVC2.

MAXOUT12 said on April 17, 2010 at 8:57 a.m.

hmm very interesting but since both capcom and marvels univeres have expanded it should be a great game. But i hope both companies start taking this time to also make games on the non popular cast.

SteadiestShark said on April 17, 2010 at 9:03 a.m.

Would have preferred CvS3 - but at least it's something!

Wardog said on April 17, 2010 at 9:04 a.m.

I hope they will fix alot of problems in this game.. because MVC2 had alot of problems like infinite, assist spamming, etc.

Audio33 said on April 17, 2010 at 9:06 a.m.

April Fools!

Phatty said on April 17, 2010 at 9:06 a.m.

If Phoenix Wright didnt make it in tatsunoko, then he better well damned be in this

juanrock said on April 17, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.

DUDE! i been waiting fot this for WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long! awesome! super freaking awesome!!!!

supermaster said on April 17, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.

finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyy it takes 10 years to make this game lol. well they should have every character from mvc2 back but they might not because of lisencing but they should they dont understand how big this game is and how much money this would make them it will make more than sf4, anyway they when they add the marvel side add everyone u can think of because marvel side is limitless characters, in capcom add dante virgil nero(devil may cry) protoman zero megaman x gutman(megaman) falcon gunrock wangtang royma rouge ayane(powerstone) add every sreet fighter chacter made from sf2 sf3 and sf4 add rivel school characters, some from dark stalkers, add giant size characters like in tvc.leon chris crowser wisker or what ever hhis name is(resident evil) and BROLY AS MAIN BOSS LOL just kidding about that, but think out the box capcom side

CapcomDoingThingsRight said on April 17, 2010 at 9:18 a.m.

Cross between MVC2 and SF4 this is going to be TRASH

SmokeRulz said on April 17, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

@45 - I'd say you're right, but I'm also sure TvC helped more than you think.

SnakeEyez said on April 17, 2010 at 9:25 a.m.

I'd love to see Deadpool in part 3, that'd be great especially since he has a movie coming out next year.

f1ip said on April 17, 2010 at 9:26 a.m.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adjacent said on April 17, 2010 at 9:28 a.m.

One thing that is great about the vs. series for Capcom's PR is that they can drag out the drama of character reveals for a REALLY long time.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on April 17, 2010 at 9:30 a.m.

That's the Marvel spirit!

I hope the still allow characters to fly and Hyper Combo when they take turns to dish out supers one after another. I also hope that the game retains the same speed as MvsC2 or faster. I don't want another slow fighter from Capcom.

I looking forward to this more than SSF4.

No more turtling or run away tactics. Hope Rogue is still in the game with the power steal move.

Can't Wait. ^^

MilnerWins said on April 17, 2010 at 9:31 a.m.

ALBERT WESKER FINAL BOSS RE5 VERSION. +
M.BISON

====Vs====

RYU +
DANTE

THawk said on April 17, 2010 at 9:36 a.m.

This came out of nowhere if you ask me.

Oh well... Capcom ftw.

ALL I want is balance.

darthvenom said on April 17, 2010 at 9:37 a.m.

bring back eddie venom please. that would be sweet

Hadoken said on April 17, 2010 at 9:38 a.m.

Dante + Akuma, new Devil Team!

DANTEEEEE I WANNA SEE DANTE DRIVING PEOPLE AWAY!

Haaaah... Drive! -Huge stylish energy wave goes around taking everybody away-

Dance Macabre!! Honeycomb shot! PANDORAAAAAAA!!

DANTEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! FOR GODS SAAAAAKE!!! - Dies of throat cancer for so much screaming -

HADOOOOKEEEN!!!

halo said on April 17, 2010 at 9:45 a.m.

No surprise whatsoever and i am thrilled! I also would have preferred a new CvS game but let's be realistic, Capcom's aim is to bring out the biggest cash cows and given the big sales of MvsC 2 and the general popularity of Marvel characters as well as the accessibility of the game's play mechanics...well it made lots more sense. Hopefully if interest remains strong we will eventually get a Capcom vs SNK 3 although Ono is really, really keen on making a new Darkstalkers. Either way us fighting game fans win!

Douchebag said on April 17, 2010 at 9:52 a.m.

Excellent...MvC3 is all but confirmed. Wonder just how many characters the development team is planning to incorporate?

On that note of a possible CvS3, it's unlikely that is gonna happen. Apparently, the SNK characters in CvS2 were crap compared to the stupid priorities of Capcom characters such as Sagat and Blanka. Of course, SNK got all butthurt that their characters were weaker than their Capcom counterparts, so unless Capcom agrees to have SNK characters dominate everyone in the next release, it ain't gonna happen.

THTB said on April 17, 2010 at 9:53 a.m.

IT'S MAAAAHVEL BAYBEEE!!!!!!!!!

Not a big MvC fan, but it's good to hear this is in the works.

Hrm said on April 17, 2010 at 9:53 a.m.

When they say cross between the original MVC2 and SF4... do they mean gameplay?
How will that work?

shichi said on April 17, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.

Bring on 120 characters, 4 of which are God Tier, and 12 suitable for tournament use. I'll be waiting, Capcom. gg

akillyz said on April 17, 2010 at 10:10 a.m.

please let there be claw.
(fingers crossed)

EX_Machina said on April 17, 2010 at 10:13 a.m.

Would love to see Dante from Devil May Cry and Dudley from SF3 in here... if the character roster is really as impressive as they say, this game will be amazing...

Amar said on April 17, 2010 at 10:18 a.m.

Charlie, Guy, and Ken. That is all, thank you.

EDGEucator said on April 17, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.

YEA BOYIE!!!

TheCyclops said on April 17, 2010 at 10:22 a.m.

WOW!!! THIS IS REALLY AWESOME NEWS!!!!

I can't wait to play as Cyclops and beat the crap out of my friends again. I really wish he will have new costume(astonishing) & new attacks.

RandomJohn said on April 17, 2010 at 10:22 a.m.

Adding more characters to the game.....yea more characters that people won't be using in tourneys.

EDGEucator said on April 17, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.

@#79
WHo cares bout tourny ?
The game is getting made!

Mecha_G said on April 17, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.

Gene and Squirrel Girl, or it sucks. Oh, and She-Hulk.

MasterNoodlez said on April 17, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.

I hope Frant West is in this game.

shaolindk said on April 17, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.

cool, but hope they get rid of the super jumps.

irrenmann said on April 17, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.

"You guys kidding me? There's no difference between this and vanilla SF4, and we all know the PS3 runs at 720p while 360 runs at up-scaled 1080p. This is going to mean that the 360 will look sharper and better on modern LCD TV's while the PS3 will have more noticeable jagged lines and such."

dtbighead0812 said on April 17, 2010 at 10:35 a.m.

DAMMIT.. i just got over my SSF4 hype.. now another 8 months of checking SRK/ Eventhubs everyday like some madman...... *sigh* oh well its MAHVEL BAYBEEEE

LA4P said on April 17, 2010 at 10:42 a.m.

Im Down For A Marvel Vs. Capcom 3!!!!!!

Im Curious To See What The Changes Will Be From MVC2. I Hope There's Not Any Changes At All Actually. MVC2 Is So Competitive. People I See Play At My Local Arcade Are Insane! AWWWWWWW IM EXCITED NOW!!!!

P.S. It's My Birthday!!! Wooooo!

LearningFast said on April 17, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.

Vemon,Gambit,and Strider is my team. I hope they balance it out better

MetalxHealthx said on April 17, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.

wow this pretty much shocked me, i thought if they were going to do another VS game itd be cvs. still good news for alot of people, ill actually play this if there is no infinites.

maniacman said on April 17, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.

This has me STOKED
Super is gonna be a an absolute blast, then MvC3!?? Gnarly!

WorstGiefEVER said on April 17, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.

I am playing a Zangief team no matter what. TEAM BALLS, BABY!

Ex_Ein said on April 17, 2010 at 11:03 a.m.

....these guys are gonna get in so much trouble if they were actually at Catpivate cause they most likely signed NDAs....if it's not true and they're just bs....well alot of fans will be mad at them

Ex_Ein said on April 17, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.

They're lying:

"Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2:Another major announcement coming down form the press event. Little is known about this game as of now, other than a trailer that was shown at Captivate. I wasn't a huge fan of the first game so few details on this one doesn't force a reaction one way or the other. I'm sure we will find out more about it at E3 2010 as well, stay tuned. "

Grin studios closed down and their developers who worked on BCR just got together less then a month ago and formed a new company. They're lying through there TEETH

bananainsaneface said on April 17, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.

EFF unlockables. Give us all the characters and colors from the beginning like MVC2 on xbla. Nobody wants to play against the cpu over and over to unlock crap.

PainKiller said on April 17, 2010 at 11:16 a.m.

hope wolverine will be good this time, best character ever

BedtimeShoryuken said on April 17, 2010 at 11:22 a.m.

they should keep the Street Fighter characters to a minimum considering its release is so close to SSFIV. Capcom should get more creative when picking characters for their side

Dante, Nero, both Dead Rising guys, Bionic Commando, JoJo, guy from Dark Void, God Hand characters, Power Stone characters, Resident Evil and Onimusha characters, Phoenix Wright. C.Viper and Ibuki would be nice to see though

recovery said on April 17, 2010 at 11:24 a.m.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I wanted Darkstalkers and Rival Schools more >:|

They better add Jubilee in to this game

If this game doesn't have new characters I'll so ******* pissed off, you don't know!

More X-Men characters and I'll be happy with this
It BETTER have Gambit

PainKiller said on April 17, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.

they must add ibuki and c.viper, those two would look awesome on a mvc game

LittleMDR said on April 17, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.

I think I'm going to cry Q_Q finally they plan on releasing this took them long enough.

Megatonbeef said on April 17, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.

Mvc2 almost didn't make it into evo this year and after it's huge online sales and mass voting to keep it in Evo we fiinally get a potential 3rd edition. Almost seems like we have to follow Capcom's script sometimes.

Ex_Ein said on April 17, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.

IT'S FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm telling you all now that this announcement is FAKE

Ex_Ein said on April 17, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.

Clovr4Lyf

They leave Marvel alone they just pretty much bought out Marvel so it could be like what Nickelodeon did in the 90's but making Noggin which was more for teens while Nick was still for kids mainly

Ex_Ein said on April 17, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.

and before you ask me why I think it's fake:
as the article says:
>>>>>"There's an embargo on the details"<<<<

They obiviously just leaked that the game in development so they broke an embargo or 3(one for each game) so I'm not sure why they're trying to hide MVC3's images unless they're fake

Load more comments